PDA

View Full Version : Fuckin pigs...

thefloatingspiral
03-30-2010, 10:21 AM
It's obvious that Jerk-off is a song with a lot of power and anger behind it. It has a specific target...the jerk-off. What I propose is that there is another layer over that base. This seems like a cry against authority to me, against law in general. To me the lyrics could be vaguely applied to any situation, but he directly questions the basis of laws in general.

"Consequences dictate
our course of action
and it doesn't matter what's right.
It's only wrong if you get caught."

Also I think the God reference could apply to law as well, in a way.

theamazingtool
03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I never thought of it that way. But it makes sense. I dig it.

Styx
04-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I never thought of it that way either, because it's a massive stretch. I'm not one of those Tool fans that insists that my personal interpretation of a song's lyrics are right, and that other opinions are wrong, but this one is fairly simple and there's plenty of evidence in interviews over the years, post-Opiate, that lay it out clearly. It's simply about being so angry with somebody that you wish you could enact your own brand of violent justice against/at them outside of established law. It is not a cry against authority or against God. You can read more about Maynard's intent behind the lyrics to Jerk Off, and many other songs he wrote for Tool, here: http://www.cdicarlo.com/paper_04maynard.htm

thefloatingspiral
04-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I never thought of it that way either, because it's a massive stretch. I'm not one of those Tool fans that insists that my personal interpretation of a song's lyrics are right, and that other opinions are wrong, but this one is fairly simple and there's plenty of evidence in interviews over the years, post-Opiate, that lay it out clearly. It's simply about being so angry with somebody that you wish you could enact your own brand of violent justice against/at them outside of established law. It is not a cry against authority or against God. You can read more about Maynard's intent behind the lyrics to Jerk Off, and many other songs he wrote for Tool, here: http://www.cdicarlo.com/paper_04maynard.htm

Thank you for the reference...but I'm simply sharing my opinion. Forming realities is what it's all about, rather than being boxed into some logic lain down as the governing basis. I appreciate the input..but it's only a stretch if that's how you perceive it. I think all lyrics are open to interpretation, and there could be meanings hidden that even the songwriter didn't trip across whilst conjuring them up. Also, nothing is quite as simple as it seems. I'm sure there was a definite point in mind during the songwriting process, but people can attach mental sticky-notes to whatever they care to and form their own interpretations of any lyrics.

Nothin' but love....

Spiral

ragnarok
07-28-2010, 07:10 PM
It's obvious that Jerk-off is a song with a lot of power and anger behind it. It has a specific target...the jerk-off. What I propose is that there is another layer over that base. This seems like a cry against authority to me, against law in general. To me the lyrics could be vaguely applied to any situation, but he directly questions the basis of laws in general.

"Consequences dictate
our course of action
and it doesn't matter what's right.
It's only wrong if you get caught."

Also I think the God reference could apply to law as well, in a way.

I've never really thought about the meaning to this song before... But this makes alot of sense.

It also could be about the lack of responsibility that the government has. The people that are supposed to be fixing things in the world are just talking about them and not doing anything. Then once a member of the so-called government power does something wrong we all act so surprised because there supposed to be helping us... When really they have just blinded us by distracting us from the actual problems that are going on in america... And we're just to stupid to open our eyes and see how many pig, liars, hypocrites, and "Jerk-offs"there really are.

PS: This is just MY opinion of the song.

PantRabbits
09-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Especially the live version. Maynard's voice fucking gets me unexpectedly, just like the way every type of music should try to do, but they lack.