PDA

View Full Version : First show as bassist

Edman
10-21-2003, 03:25 PM
My first show in four years not being a lead singer. I am playing Bass in a band for a school show at lunch tomorrow for the first time ever as a bassist. A great expirience I anticipate, but I wonder how much different this will aesthetically be. How use am I at the position of focal point, and then go to the least cared about member in a band? Everything I am playing is all so simple. The guys I'm playing with are Matthew Good Band fans. Not my first choice, but it's what's on the plate.

pushthis
10-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Even if you're the bass player... as long as you still put on a show, people will pay attention. Unless that's not what you're going for and you don't want to be noticed. In that case, just stand there.

(nobodylikesastillbody)

Elgyn
10-21-2003, 11:06 PM
I always enjoyed playing bass with my old school band, but I usually mixed it up and improvised just to keep me interested. Be sure to let us now how you find it, and me hopes you enjoy it.

My onstage presence was about as engaging as a stale fart back in the day though, so I was never the most noticable character on stage. It helps to be really into the music you're playing if you want to really feel the rhythm. You'd have a lot of experience with this, having been in a band for so long though.

paraflux
10-22-2003, 10:52 AM
If you do it right, you can still be the focal point. In my old band, the singer couldnt jump around a lot because she had to keep her breath, the guitarist was pedal-bound and did backup vocals as well. I had the complete freedom of doing whatever I felt. And I did just that, and was complimented after every show.

wonko_the_sane
10-22-2003, 01:21 PM
If you jump around, make sure you can still play. At one show, the band after my band had this crazy guitar player, and he'd writhe and leap and convulse so much he stopped playing, and then they sucked.

Edman
10-22-2003, 01:28 PM
I am not too concerned about not being the focal point. I never really liked it anyway. I just don't know what will be different about not being so. I suspect a greater level of personal comfort, but that's just me.

48&2
10-23-2003, 04:57 AM
ive only played two live peformances as a bass player at my school, being the nervous wreck that i am i was heaps nervous though still pulled it off ok, feels good when you come off stage, though you wont get much recognition...

Chuckie
10-23-2003, 01:42 PM
I enjoy playing the bass, gives me a sense of empowerment.

I'm for the most part the only guy who headbangs in my band. Our guitarist doesn't, really isn't his style, which suits him. And our singer/guitarist doesnt simply cause he's tied down by the mic, although he does headbang and whatnot whatever chance he gets.

I remember about a year and a half ago we played a demon hunter song in a school show and it was our first time so we all just kinda stood around motionless. I actually find easier to play while I headbang or moving around, it keeps myself into the music, and thus making the music better.

What I try to do (especially as of late) is try to take improvise as much as I can. Make the bassline more interesting, opeth is a big influence on me when it comes to that.

Thrakandor
11-02-2003, 07:45 AM
Eh, I don't know Edman - it depends on how you do it. Jason Newsted = t3h win, for example. Just roar :)

(Even if it's not appropriate.)