PDA

View Full Version : Echo

EjectaWheel
10-20-2003, 09:02 PM
When I looked at the lyrics of this song I was reminded of the Greek legend of Echo and Narcissus. Echo falls in love with Narcisuss, a vain youth who pines his time away staring at his own reflection in the water. Having had a curse or something put on him when he was younger, his narcissism becomes his downfall, and he kills himself. Some versions of the story differ.
I realize that there are many parts of the song that don't match up with this, but, as we all know, Tool's songs make sense on infinite levels.
Well, there it is, probably completely off the mark. But, then again, so am I....

Mehhico
10-22-2003, 09:06 PM
I read up on it, after you brought it to my attention, but I don't see a huge connection there....................yet ;)
There are some words/phrases which appear to be references such as "before we pine away" and "reflection", but that was all I could get. Then again, I could only find relatively short (1-2 pages) stories about it, so I haven't got all of the information.

Thanks for the idea though, it is a really funny story isn't it? Those fucking Greeks will fuck anything, even themselves!!!!

Kind regards,
Andy

corps d'allumen
11-18-2003, 09:16 PM
10. In "Reflection" you talk a good deal about losing or getting rid of the ego in order to attain some further end. An end of enlightenment perhaps? What is it about the ego that prevents or in some way, blocks one from attaining some greater end? Or does it even make sense to speak in terms of lesser and greater ends?

MK: "If you look at the cycles of the moon, it starts as a thin crescent and then gradually waxes until it becomes full; then it gradually wanes back into another crescent and then it is gone. The moon reflects sunlight like humans reflect information. We wax and wane and when we become full moons, our egos are full. We think we have this knowledge when in fact, the information we have is pure. And how it reflects or shines off of us, is something we take credit for as though the moon could take credit for its brightness when, in fact, it is only reflecting light from the sun. We have to understand that we are ego-less just as the moon is without light. It and we are simply reflectors. The ego is not responsible for the information. It can reflect the information in creative ways, but the information itself is pure".

http://www.cdicarlo.com/paper_04maynard.htm

Secrets&Stilettos
12-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Thank you for that link. It was nice to read an actual, intelligent conversation rather than an emotionless, shotgun question and answer. However, I don't agree with the walking on a safety net idea. It isn't necessary to constantly back up your every word/statement/thought/idea with a philosophical/literary reference. But, I suppose, as long as the message gets safely across the bridge....