PDA

View Full Version : Wings live 2002... next album?

OCDT
01-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Okay I'm sure a number of people here will know that Tool used to play an early instrumental version of Wings during their 2002 lateralus tour before a number of songs.

If you don't believe me, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78SRwNeVziQ

Anyway, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but during their 2007 tour, Tool did exactly the same with this ambient piece of music, which they occasionally used as an intro to flood/vicarious/pushit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYEmkCtG46Q

I'm willing to bet that something very similar to that will feature in the next Tool album, whether it's just an instrumental seague or an early version of a proper song.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone else even care? Just thought I'd throw that out there.

hushypushy
01-17-2010, 08:41 AM
I noticed it a while back when I was on a bootleg kick. And of course, when I saw them live. Maynard on keys makes me giggle a little bit for some reason. And for a while there I even pictured a full TOOL ambient album :)

I can't remember what show it was (http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1801577&postcount=7), but at an old show (on the Ænima tour I believe, maybe even Undertow), Adam jams out the main riff from Rosetta Stoned!

Also, apparently Ticks & Leeches is from the Opiate era (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=74252). Just goes to show that they have tunes kicking around behind the scenes for a long time...

DONT PM ME AND ASK ME FOR SAMPLES OR ANYTHING BECAUSE I DONT HAVE THEM ANYMORE. SORRY

base metal
01-17-2010, 09:55 AM
During the 2007 tour they were definitely playing around with a couple ideas between songs. The way the ambient stuff would lead from one song to another had my attention and seemed more constructed than just some random tinkering with keyboards. I dig it and i hope they use it on the next record.

Rolo
01-17-2010, 01:15 PM
When i listen to the live version of Pushit on Saliva, i always find the tribal instrumental part to sounds exactly like the tribal part in Right In Two.

theamazingtool
01-17-2010, 04:50 PM
I like this thought. When I saw them live this past summer, I can't remember exactly what or when, but did notice they played some newish material like this. It got me excited, but didn't really lead to anything. Hopefully we will see some of this in the future.

BTW, did they play Pushit at all on their '07 tour? I saw them 7/13/07, and they played the same setlist as when I saw them 8/02/09 except for performing Wings in 07 and Anema in 09. No Pushit. The 07 show was a much, much better show, imo for the record.

hushypushy
01-17-2010, 04:55 PM
^ yeah, they played Pushit a few times, but it was just that--a few only :(

theamazingtool
01-17-2010, 05:08 PM
^ yeah, they played Pushit a few times, but it was just that--a few only :(

Did they play the "Salival" or "original" version? Either would have been amazing.

hushypushy
01-17-2010, 06:35 PM
the original version!! :o

I heard a few boots and it was epic, wish I had been there to see what sort of visuals they used to accompany it. Although, I was there the only time they played "Holiday in Cambodia"...unique, but not nearly as special (to me). They had absolutely zero visuals, it was standard stage lighting on a white set--no video.

OCDT
01-18-2010, 05:42 AM
I like this thought. When I saw them live this past summer, I can't remember exactly what or when, but did notice they played some newish material like this. It got me excited, but didn't really lead to anything. Hopefully we will see some of this in the future.

Yeah this ambient piece wasn't specific to any particular song. They kindof threw it into their sets, almost like they were testing it out (as they did with wings in '02).

It just seems too precise and technical to be discarded as random ambient noise to fill out the show, in my opinion.

I would be pretty surprised if it didn't make a future appearance, however i guess this is Tool we are talking about, so you never quite know what's going through the heads of those crazy fuckers.