PDA

View Full Version : The Order

Ashes42
10-18-2003, 08:31 AM
Me and 2 friends of mine were having one of those really deep discussions the other night, and I brought up the subject of that last little segment about waking up in your ditch. Our discussion suddenly took an unexpected turn when one of them brought up the idea that in a murderers mind everything is theirs, therefore they have no inhibitions. It was late though, and he had to leave (still yet to hear the song,) and me and my single remaining friend went into my car and listened to the end of disgustipated, and he mentioned that it seems backwards.

Think about it, he wakes up in a ditch, is all gooey on his clothes, his hands are sticky, wipes his hands on the grass, gets out of the ditch, goes to the car, tries the car doors, sees two people, the color is red, the people are his. It sounds like he woke up tried to open a car then killed 2 people, wouldn't it make more sence to kill the 2 people try their car, then be messy gooey.

If you read it backwards, (as in reverse order of the lines) he kills two people, goes to their car, which is locked, feels really sick, walks over to the ditch, wipes his hands on the grass (which I've noticed often leaves a sticky sensation on your hands) is all gooey, then maybe passes out in the ditch? I mean he's probably in the middle of nowhere and needed to car to drive somewhere to find a place to sleep, so he passes out in the ditch.

We both thought this had some promise, and our discussion moved onto the whole albums, and we were talking about how each album sort of tells a story, the subjects are all related and whatnot, and I thought of the crazy idea that the WHOLE album is set up the same as that last segment, except on a bigger scale. With that last track being the start, and Intolerance being the end, and it somehow makes more sense that way, especially the middle of the CD, going Flood, 4 degrees, Undertow, Swamp song, Crawl away, Bottom. At this point I'm still sort of theorizing, but there seems to be a pattern.

Ashes Ashes they all fall down...

crow011
10-19-2003, 04:09 AM
i dont often read peoples opinions of songs, etc because to be honest, im not that interested . . .

but that was fucking awesome . . .

well done . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .

eulogy508
10-20-2003, 04:02 PM
that is a very interesting theory, but could you please elaborate a little bit more on it. how exactly does undertow relate to a murderer?

ManInBlack
10-23-2003, 07:19 PM
That makes perfect sense, flood being the character's death.

GÆGnon
02-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Very interesting... I'll be looking more into that