PDA

View Full Version : Sober and Carl Jung?

Disarm
12-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I was reading about Carl Jung on Wikipedia when I stumbled across a section called "Spirituality as a cure for alcoholism." Thinking of Sober, I began to compare ideas. So, I present you with this Wikipedia article, hoping for input.
Jung recommended spirituality as a cure for alcoholism and he is considered to have had an indirect role in establishing Alcoholics Anonymous. Jung once treated an American patient (Rowland Hazard III), suffering from chronic alcoholism. After working with the patient for some time and achieving no significant progress, Jung told the man that his alcoholic condition was near to hopeless, save only the possibility of a spiritual experience. Jung noted that occasionally such experiences had been known to reform alcoholics where all else had failed.

Rowland took Jung's advice seriously and set about seeking a personal spiritual experience. He returned home to the United States and joined a Christian evangelical Re-Armament movement known as the Oxford Group. He also told other alcoholics what Jung had told him about the importance of a spiritual experience. One of the alcoholics he brought into the Oxford Group was Ebby Thacher, a long-time friend and drinking buddy of Bill Wilson, later co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). Thacher told Wilson about the Oxford Group, and through them Wilson became aware of Hazard's experience with Jung. The influence of Jung thus indirectly found its way into the formation of Alcoholics Anonymous, the original twelve-step program, and from there into the whole twelve-step recovery movement, although AA as a whole is not Jungian and Jung had no role in the formation of that approach or the twelve steps.

The above claims are documented in the letters of Carl Jung and Bill W., excerpts of which can be found in Pass It On, published by Alcoholics Anonymous. Although the detail of this story is disputed by some historians, Jung himself made reference to its substance — including the Oxford Group participation of the individual in question — in a talk that was issued privately in 1954 as a transcript from shorthand taken by an attender (Jung reportedly approved the transcript), later recorded in Volume 18 of his Collected Works, The Symbolic Life ("For instance, when a member of the Oxford Group comes to me in order to get treatment, I say, 'You are in the Oxford Group; so long as you are there, you settle your affair with the Oxford Group. I can't do it better than Jesus.'" Jung goes on to state that he has seen similar cures among Roman Catholics.)
"

Is it possible that Sober is from the point of view of a man who tries to sober up using faith, but becomes angry when he is unsuccessful. "Why can't we not be sober?" He asks God...
"Just want to start this over" He says, realizing that this method has gotten him nowhere. "Jesus, won't you fucking whistle" He's upset that faith can't even help him. This ties in well with Maynard's dislike of Christian beliefs, as well.

So, what do you think?

slamminsalmon
12-04-2009, 02:37 PM
sounds nice. makes some sense. again.

beware yaster and innereulogy. they will have a field day with you.

Rolo
12-05-2009, 06:02 PM

True

Inner_Eulogy
12-08-2009, 06:30 PM
sounds nice. makes some sense. again.

Talk about stereotypes....

I thought this was a great theory, it was absolutely plausible and logical.

Disarm
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't blame you, anyhow. It's not like a take pride in copying and pasting a Wikipedia article and drawing a simple conclusion.
;D

Inner_Eulogy
12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
A stereotype is a phrase relating to all the members of class or set. Idiot.

Yeah, if you want to be absolutely literal and tight as your sisters anus.