PDA

View Full Version : The true meaning of Rosetta Stoned

Sanchenuss
12-01-2009, 10:25 PM
There are 28 pages, so someone has probably mentioned this and Im not reading 28 pages. I assume someone was smart enough to figure it out.

The lyrics were specifically written by Maynard to have absolutely no meaning at all. He did this and knew that fans would still create 28 pages on forums trying to figure it out when there is nothing to figure out. Thats why he says, "dont know, wont know" at the very end. He doesn't know what it means so you won't know.

5th Eye
12-02-2009, 04:56 AM
There are 28 pages, so someone has probably mentioned this and Im not reading 28 pages. I assume someone was smart enough to figure it out.

http://toolnavy.com/search.php?

Sanchenuss
12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
meh, I don't have time for that.

infinitee
12-02-2009, 04:59 PM
The 'true meaning' is that there is no meaning?

That's impossible.

metalwarriorx
12-17-2009, 10:47 PM
well, as you might already know humans tend to put meaning and purpose in things naturally, almost instinctly. Some psychologists say that putting meaning into things, like for example, life, could serve as a survival mechanism. But for whatever reason, people still ask "what is the meaning of life?"
Even if the work of Tool, which just like life ,has no meaning or purpose, people will still try to find meaning in it.
Maybe Tool knew this, so left it meaningless allowing listeners to search for a meaning.
IF there is a meaning to 1000 Days, just like the meaning in life, would you ever find it?

infinitee
12-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I instinctly think that 1000 Days is about kittens

Megalodony
12-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Watch the movie Fire in the Sky on any kind of hallucinogen and only then will you be closer to figuring out the true meaning of this song.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106912/

BlueTape
12-19-2009, 02:43 PM
true meaning: a guy thinking deep about why HE thinks deep (is he special?) takes dmt meets an alien and he freaks the fuck out. he wonders if this is actually real or just a crazy hallucination.

the alien tells him he IS special. that HE was chosen to bear a message to the rest of humanity because only HE can understand it.

he is tripping hard. he feels like everything he was wondering about has come true. he starts pulling knowledge out of nothing, having sudden realizations about human existence.

the trip ends, he almost cant believe what just happened, it was exactly how he pictured the encounter would go. and now he knows the truth. but wait... he cant remember a damn thing the alien said!! he realized the secret to live and he is struggling to place it in his memory. his whole life lead up to that one moment, and now all he can do is shit himself and wait for the end because everyone else just thinks he was way high.

perhaps it all was a hallucination, a dream his mind (with the help of some dmt and x) made up out of his hopes and hypothesis about the 'truth'. everything about his trip could have been a fantasy that conveniently fit his interpretation of drugs/inner realization.

maybe humans "dont know and wont know" the truth to life, and as real as the experience was, his mind just couldn't grasp such a large, encompassing image as total reality.
maybe the guy had to be in a completely altered state to be able to communicate with the extra-dimensional beings, and they assumed an image he could relate to so they could tell him that he was on the right track.

im talking in circles here but to say this song has no meaning just seems like giving up on the art that tool is.

Rolo
12-19-2009, 07:52 PM
I instinctly think that 1000 Days is about kittens

This is absolutely true!

Rolo
12-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Still, now i wonder what 10,000 days handles about...

... ten kittens?

Megalodony
12-19-2009, 10:55 PM
I hear the whispers of snow cats on the starship.

Rolo
12-20-2009, 07:06 AM
meow

infinitee
12-20-2009, 11:22 AM
My cat got lost in the blizzard guys... I hope she makes it home okay...

Not kidding. :(