PDA

View Full Version : The Process of Slavery

frankzeppelin
12-11-2002, 08:10 AM
"Undertow" is certainly about drug-use, but in a different sense than in other songs, particualrly "Third Eye." Most Tool songs are based in some kind of commitment, choice, rebellion, self-overcoming, deeply routed in free will. "Think for yourself. Question authority." "Undertow" is about becoming a slave to something, losing your free will, having your whole existence based on something outside of yourself. Of coarse, it is by free will that you choose to risk addiction, just as you freely choose to swim in the ocean. But things can quickly run out of your control.

The song shows a change in the person from the addiction. At first it is warm and inviting, "twice as clear as heaven,
and twice as loud as reason." True euphoria. The language itself is inviting and flowing, very soothing, rich and full. Then suddenly he breaks out of it and realizes what he's doing. "Shut up, sense your enemy [it says in these lyrics "you're saturating me"]. How could I let that bring me back to my knees?" His addiction has a tight hold on him by now.

The second verse shows a turn fo the worst - now he's desperately trying to satisfy an endless, nightmarish hunger. Where before is spoke from deep, now it screams. It's now only "half as high as heaven and half as clear as reason." It not good and rich, but "it's cold and and black like silt on the riverbed, just as never ending." He is a slave to comfort, and hates himself for his wretched state: "Why don't you kill me, I am weak and young and insignificant. How could I let that brign me back to my knees?" But he is lost, because his likfe is still bent on a quick fix of euphoria, always temporary, never enough.

The meaning can be extended beyond drug addiction, though the symbolism doesn't translate as well. For example, you could say he likes masochistic sex, which at first was everything he ever wanted, and now he needs it just to get off. But come on, that's really streching it. The only meaning I would probably consider is that the euphoria is somehow social. I always saw the water theme of the album to have a strong social meaning (as in "Flood" - "the water will will come and take what is mine" as the masses sucking us into conformity). There's pleasure in being part of a group, and sometimes you can get locked in (as in cults) and what remains of your will hates you for what you've become, but you still just can't break free. Still, the song fits a lot better as an addiction to heroin or the like.