PDA

View Full Version : Permanent New Member Greeting Thread

dsl
10-15-2003, 06:38 AM
We should have a permanent sticky for all new members to post something about themselves or whatever they like. I think that changing the thread out every month would be suitable?

thevirusunknown
10-17-2003, 07:40 AM
The only problem I have with this thread is that people that have been around for a while post in there just to be funny. Its not that big of a deal, I just think it may to people having conversations in there when its just meant as an introduction thread.

My idea is basically to make it so only recently registered members could post in the new members thread. However, I could see how a lot of people would complain that its too much moderating but I feel that this would be just fine.

Tantobourne
10-17-2003, 03:10 PM
On the confirmation page after creating an account the admins should place a link to said FAQ or better yet, hack the e-mail confirmation to include the URL to the FAQ or the FAQ itself....

thevirusunknown
08-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Come on, this wasn't a decent idea? A thread only new members could post in? Or, a seperate forum for new members to introduce themselves?

Pro_Art
08-26-2005, 02:13 AM
Come on, this wasn't a decent idea? A thread only new members could post in? Or, a seperate forum for new members to introduce themselves?
I like the separate forum idea. Might be a solution to
the alter egos as well if they're stuck in there for a
trial period or something.

Peace,
Pro Art (Protocol Artisan)

thevirusunknown
08-30-2005, 07:35 AM
I like the separate forum idea. Might be a solution to
the alter egos as well if they're stuck in there for a
trial period or something.

Peace,
Pro Art (Protocol Artisan)
I agree, it would stop most people from making more usernames if they had to stay in the new user forum for a little while, perhaps like 24 hours or something? I'm not sure, I just agree that it would be cool.

Mark D
09-01-2005, 08:18 AM
I like the idea.

Cronos
09-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Bump.

kabir
09-04-2005, 06:41 PM
i like the part about having a thread for new members. i mean it's tempting to make a forum called Welcome Aboard or something, but i am not sure it is necessary. the main advantage would probably be that new people might stick around if there were good people there for them to hang with. get them addicted.

--big tobac.... i mean ... kabir

UtUmNo1
09-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Do you forsee a time limit where the new member would have to stay in the Welcome Aboard section?
If this was the case, I believe it will stymie the new user's move into becoming a regular user: it seems that most legitimate new members (not aliases), begin posting in songs/albums or breaking news in order to make low key observations/express opinions. They seem to do this as there is less scope for having their electronic arses kicked by older members for being a n00b etc.

If the idea is to simply have an area where you can post a bit about yourself as a new member, this is already done by way of, 'Hi fellas'[/thread title] Long time lurker, first time poster...etc threads.

Thoughts?

kabir
09-05-2005, 12:18 PM
time limit = bad, i think. i just meant somewhere for new people to post hi or something. maybe a note in SOcialize saying "hey if you are new, say hi!" would do the trick.

LetTheRabbitsWearGlasses
09-05-2005, 12:19 PM
time limit = bad, i think. i just meant somewhere for new people to post hi or something. maybe a note in SOcialize saying "hey if you are new, say hi!" would do the trick.
I'll make the thread, someone sticky it.

UtUmNo1
09-05-2005, 04:08 PM
It has already gone to shit.

It might require some heavy handed moderation...

thevirusunknown
09-06-2005, 09:17 PM
The only problem I had with just making a thread where people could introduce themselves is that the last time we tried it, the thread overflowed with just random chatter and very little actual introductions.

I liked the time limited forum idea but I can see where some people would compain that its just excess control by the mods. Is there no way to make a stickied thread that would force you to be less than a week old to post in it? Or maybe make it so everyone's first post had to be in this thread and then they could never post in it again?

Addiction is what we need. Get em while their young, keep em till they die, and try to be the cause of death.

Latitudinarian
09-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Have a seprate section where new members are encouraged to make a thread about themselves telling why they like tool an what not?
Or at least have a sticky thread with the same theme...

But I think its obvious that won't work, unless you stricly inforce probations an bannings. Just warn everyone that if they go in an act stupid, their gone!

LetTheRabbitsWearGlasses
09-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Just warn everyone that if they go in an act stupid, their gone!
Unfortunately, if we did this, there would only be about five people and the mods left on TDN. Tried and failed.

Perseensilmä
09-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately, if we did this, there would only be about five people and the mods left on TDN. Tried and failed.

And those five people would be the dudes who have been already banned like 80 times.

Latitudinarian
09-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah the imature kids. I think they need to just do away with those kats once an for all.

I don't know much about banning, but Im sure their is a way to make it permanet.