PDA

View Full Version : crucifiction - insight into what Tool is talking about

Lateralareallofus
08-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Recently i have been researching and reading on esoteric and metaphorical christianity. I am not a christian, but anyone can appreciate what i believe to be the true meaning behind the christ story. It totally ties into what Maynard sings about in Reflection. The idea of crucifying the ego ties in with esoteric christianity.

This link is a fasinating read into esoteric christianity:
http://hiddenmysteries.net/geeklog/article.php?story=20070923123543945
Its a long read, so allow some time to sit down and swallow it.

Another good read is Inner Christianity by Richard Smoley

This has given me a much better understanding into what maynard is talking about is Reflection as well as Eulogy. I thought id share it with yall and get some feedback.

Yast3r
08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
I don't mean to sound like an ass... but how do you tie in 'esoteric Christianity' with the track, Eulogy? And why would you want to? I'd be interested as to how this link helps you understand the song better.

I myself am too unmotivated to browse the site and make any connections to the songs myself, but I enjoyed your interpretations in other threads so I'd love to read your thoughts on this.

Lateralareallofus
08-04-2009, 08:43 AM
its basically the idea of crucifying a part of yourself for a higher self. The ego must die, then come back to life as something better. Jesus represents the ego/light/personification of oursleves. He dies for a divine/higher purpose. We must sacrifice our ego/shadow to be a better person. Im not good with explaining this as the link does.

I have always felt that eulogy is about maynard cucifying that part of himself that he hates (shadow). The part of him that is loud, ranting and raving, and pointing his finger. So he wants to kill that part to be a more whole and complete person. "To ascend you must die"

Yast3r
08-04-2009, 08:48 AM
I have always felt that eulogy is about maynard cucifying that part of himself that he hates (shadow). The part of him that is loud, ranting and raving, and pointing his finger. So he wants to kill that part to be a more whole and complete person. "To ascend you must die"

I don't think I ever once considered this song to be about Maynard himself--or any personification of his. "You claimed all this time that you would die for me", etc, doesn't tie in at all with your theory.

catatuna
08-30-2009, 06:39 PM
The OP is onto something. If you read the Courage to Be by Paul Tillich you will have your theory confirmed.

It's really not explicitly Christian, it is more that Maynard is an existentialist. Chistian existentialism and gnosticism have stuff in common.