PDA

View Full Version : holy interpretation

malfeasance
11-19-2002, 11:10 AM
the whole "spiral" theme refers to the fibbonacci sequence. checking out the syllables in the opening lyrics go in an ascending-descending fibbonacci sequence (1,1,2,3,5,8,5,3). the colors in the first two lines (ex. "black then white are...) refer to the archtypical stories of aboriginals. the rest is pretty basic. ~e

fibonacci
11-19-2002, 04:30 PM
looks like youve been to cdicarlo.com :/.

but i do agree...and i think the song is mostly about our spiral of progression...

malfeasance
11-20-2002, 10:57 AM
yeah, ive read that article. im no philosophy major, just another fan. but i already knew about the fibonacci sequences. and my stinkfist interpretation was my own. -e

J1516
11-21-2002, 06:30 PM
Remember that before this was titled lateralus it was titled after the time signature which looked like part of the fibonacci sequence. They changed it because it was misleading. What nobody else seems to be mentioning is the lateral spiral in all vertebres that determines sensory. The parabola video shows just what I'm talking about. Look at the white line going through Trickey's spine, and then the spiral forms (and it is lateral).

dissociation
11-21-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by malfeasance
the whole "spiral" theme refers to the fibbonacci sequence. checking out the syllables in the opening lyrics go in an ascending-descending fibbonacci sequence (1,1,2,3,5,8,5,3). the colors in the first two lines (ex. "black then white are...) refer to the archtypical stories of aboriginals. the rest is pretty basic. ~e

i never really noticed that. fucking awesome. i take it you mean this:

black
then
white are
all i see
in my in-fan-cy
red and yel-low then came to be
rea-ching out to me
lets me see

fault lines
11-24-2002, 11:57 AM
in my experience with anthropology, one of the most interesting concepts is the one being hinted at here. the pattern is not just in aboriginals (although they are the source of a lot of information about primitive culture) , but theoretically in every independently developing culture. anyway the idea is a parallel drawn between the evolving human mind and it's perception of color. since language shapes perception, when early cultures had only terms for "black" and "white", their conciousness and perception of events in the universe was severely limited. hand in hand with the evolution of these cultures came more terms, first "red" then "yellow", of course. Representing objects "drawn outside the lines of reason", these color-coded evolutionary steps are interesting because of the way the parallels still exist. The amount of color labels continues to increase, perhaps expanding human perception of the universe. As in "forty-six and two", tool continues to analyze the patterns and processes of human evolution.