View Full Version : 08.04.09 - Kingston, ON @ K Rock Center

SadSummerSea
06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
August 04, 2009
Kingston, ON
K Rock Center

SadSummerSea
06-26-2009, 03:44 PM
This show seems to be pretty low-key. Pretty small venue (http://www.kingstonist.com/images/2008/feb08/23feb_prehip.png), too

Tickets went on sale Friday June 26th @ www.tickets.com

as of now, still a bunch of good tickets available.

sianspheric
06-26-2009, 08:41 PM
It kind of surprised me that are booked for a 5000 capacity arena in Kingston when if tickets were sliiiightly lower I bet they could sell out two shows at the ampitheatre in Toronto. Considering the August show sold out in a day.

Stumble
06-27-2009, 10:01 AM
exactly, i just can't justify paying $100 for this show when Toronto only cost me $70. Why Kingston, Why!

Hodge
06-27-2009, 10:09 AM
toronto was 88 for me, this was 96

8 dollar difference, not bad...

transcend187
06-27-2009, 02:56 PM
I just bought 6 tickets, 2nd row, sec 103. $95 each.

Dis' Position
06-27-2009, 10:37 PM
going to this and Toronto, will be cool to see the difference between a nice intimate venue like kingston and the ampitheatre.

transcend187
06-29-2009, 02:20 PM
How intimate is it really? It looks like a big venue. Stadium.

Hodge
06-29-2009, 02:32 PM
ya a stadium that seats less than 6800

toolniz
06-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Spread the word about this show! it is not even halfway sold out yet and we don't want to be like Madison, WI on the 2006 tour and have the show canceled because of poor ticket sales (i mean maynard was sick ;) ) SO TELL YOUR FRIENDS. Toronto, Syracuse and Ottawa -This means you! only 2 hours for ya. Rochester and Montreal 3 measly hours! i will be there and toronto the next day (and cinci on friday but who's counting..) GET YOUR TICKETS!

kanaduh
06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
This show really stands out. The venue, location, ect.

Should be an interesting night.

Then do it all over again in Toronto the next day

Spoon
07-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Anyone interested in a couple of GA tickets? Had two buddies bail on me...

PM me - looking for cost.

Spoon
07-02-2009, 11:03 AM
This might do it for me for live Tool shows. I've seen them a bunch of times all over the place, but lately the setlists have been repetitive, and Maynard has been insulting by not giving a very strong effort at the shows. Often the band have seemed bored, not to mention $95 freaking dollars for a ticket.

If this set-list and show don't blow me away, I'll be stepping down a few notches from "Huge Fan" to "Casual fan".

One more chance, Tool.

toolniz
07-02-2009, 01:22 PM
anyone know what the capacity for the floor is? i am guessing somewhere between 2000 and 2500? if that is the case then roughly half the floor is still not sold (1100 floor tickets have been sold as of right now)

kanaduh
07-02-2009, 11:15 PM
I am baffled at how ridiculously slow this show is selling.

It doesn't help that Kingston is a college town and it's the off-season for schools.

Can't help but think that a montreal show would have been the better option. Hell, I bet at this point they would have sold out 2 nights at the molson amp.

Oh well... the small venue and low attendance should make for an interesting night.

Hodge
07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
doesn't help with insane ticket prices either
i think this is the most expensive show i will have attended

Spoon
07-03-2009, 04:55 AM
Ditto Hodge, the ticket prices are WAY too high.

For example, I am not exaggerating, I have 4 friends who are big Tool fans, but will not spend that much money on a show. Tool just lost 4 more ticket sales, I hope my 1 makes up for it...

slamminsalmon
07-03-2009, 06:47 AM
it will be a good show. the smaller venue shows ive seen have always been more fun.

kanaduh
07-03-2009, 05:16 PM
it will be a good show. the smaller venue shows ive seen have always been more fun.

Disagree.

Kelowna 2007 fall mini tour was a smaller city/venue, so many of the people at the show were not even real fans. tons of moshing/laser pointers/throwing chairs.

it was so bad they cut 10 000 days from the setlist right after wings.

hopefully kingston is different.

slamminsalmon
07-04-2009, 04:35 AM
not even real fans lol

Spoon
07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
The venue has nothing to do with how the show will be; people are different everywhere and in different moods every day - that goes for the band too

igby
07-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I think the reason ticket prices are as high as they are is because since the K-rock center was built it's been doing pretty poorly as far as bringing in a decent amount of revenue (who actually wants to go see the kingston frontinacs play?). I think I remember hearing that they still haven't paid off the cost of building it yet. There's been a couple big name acts that have played it so far but it was the same story with them as far as ticket prices go.

As far as this being a low key show, there's really only two radio stations in town promoting it...K-rock and The Drive. K-Rock pretty much never played Tool, but The Drive does on occasion. I know The Drive has been promoting it a lot, dunno about the other one though I never listen to them.

Either way, I'm going, I couldn't get tickets for Toronto when they went on sale. I still have a hard time believing they're plating K-Town.

SadSummerSea
07-14-2009, 08:41 AM
section 110 row 3 is selling currently. as well as floors. :(

Dis' Position
07-14-2009, 03:47 PM
section 110 row 3 is selling currently. as well as floors. :(

What the hell. I bought tickets right when they went on sale and the "best seats available" came up as row 16. I bought them right away instead of trying to find better seats because I thought it would sell out instantly.

SadSummerSea
07-14-2009, 07:47 PM
well, youre probably section 103 something right beside the stage, yes? i dont understand how that qualifies as best available. i brought up 103 before i brought up floors. personally, i think the best seats in the house are dead center stage so you can see the entire show, not just an angle of it. so yah, reasoning doesnt make sense to moi. call krock and see if you can switch em, either. never know.

stefdep
07-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Anybody knows of a good cheap hotel near the K-rock center?

Underalus
07-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't know why they aren't playing in London.

troutmask
07-23-2009, 06:38 PM
looks like they've released some $55 seats with a centred view of the stage. sounds good to me.

Dis' Position
07-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Anyone else staying at the Rest Inn? Only 1.5 mile walk from the venue.

SadSummerSea
07-26-2009, 07:51 PM
wtf is standing room? you get the railing behind the seats at whatever section? ... i dunno how to feel about this.

headstoner
07-29-2009, 06:24 AM
stayin at the super 8. will be driving from leamington (6 hours) the day of.

Where is a good place to pre drink?

Dassarri
07-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Coming from upstate NY, 9 hour round trip to make the show. Got GA tickets, looking forward to it!

cgraham
08-01-2009, 08:03 AM
my tickets were 55 a peice, they say standing room only so I assume that is general admission.

At least that was what I wanted. Can anyone confirm this?

thanks

Dis' Position
08-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Coming from upstate NY, 9 hour round trip to make the show. Got GA tickets, looking forward to it!

9 hours? where in Upstate you coming from?

cgraham
08-01-2009, 12:14 PM
do your tickets say general admission? Or standing room only?

Thanks.

Bosnjo
08-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm driving up there from Utica, NY. This will be my 4th TOOL show. I'm taking my girlfriend, she has never been at a rock concert so this is gonna blow her away.

Kevindust29
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi, I posted something simialr on the TO thread, I just scored a ticket to the TO show (sec 202 row J) and am already going to the Kingston show (GA). My friends don't all share Toolvision so I will be going alone...it would be cool to tailgate with some like minded people before either show so if you notice a 2005 Mustang GT, silver with blue LeMans stripes, please stop by and say hello.

For the record, I've been here for a while (Kevindust since 2002) but can't remember my password and no longer use the email addy that I signed up wiith so I had to create a new account.

420scooter
08-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I just wanted to go on record as saying that the Tool fans in this area(or lack thereof) are unbelievable...Did I hear someone say that this place only holds 6K and there are still floor seats? If I wasn't flat broke, I would make the 10 hour drive (one way) to see another show on this tour....get it together Canada?! What do they need to do, put up fliers at a "coffee shop"...hehehe jk, I know you've apologized for Bryan Adams several times...

Dis' Position
08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
obviously pretty close to the show, but anyone interested in trading floors for some seats? 103, Row 16.

sianspheric
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I just wanted to go on record as saying that the Tool fans in this area(or lack thereof) are unbelievable...Did I hear someone say that this place only holds 6K and there are still floor seats? If I wasn't flat broke, I would make the 10 hour drive (one way) to see another show on this tour....get it together Canada?! What do they need to do, put up fliers at a "coffee shop"...hehehe jk, I know you've apologized for Bryan Adams several times...

well considering the floor seats are about $100 (including service charges) and the current tour is the exact same as the entire 2007 tour - minus 2 songs.

what real massive reason is there for tons of fans to pay $100 to see the band rush through a 9 song set, especially when they know the setlist isn't changing one iota so.

I could understand being amazed if the show wasn't sold out, if the show offered the fans really anything new. Hopefully most those people at the show are seeing the band for the first time and those fans will learn that paying $100 for 9 songs might not be worth it.

cgraham
08-04-2009, 02:17 AM
my tickets were not $100 they were 55 and it says standing room only. If that is not considered GA then does anyone know where the hell i'll be standing?

Confused.

tkl1982
08-04-2009, 04:02 AM
my tickets were not $100 they were 55 and it says standing room only. If that is not considered GA then does anyone know where the hell i'll be standing?

Confused.

At the back of the arena behind all the seats.

BoNeSaW
08-04-2009, 04:20 AM
I don't see why everyone is complaining why the tickets are $100.... The Molson Ampitheatre is $85 a ticket, with a capacity of 16,000. The K-Rock Centre holds 5,700. Of course they have to charge more. Just like any smaller venue. Damn I would love to see Tool play in a smaller venue like that, for what, $15 more? I already had tickets for Toronto, and can't take 2-3 days off work to see them twice, but damn, be fortunate that they're playing there! We have a 10,000 seat beautiful arena here (John Labatt Centre) and get pretty much the same acts as the Air Canada Centre, however of course tickets here cost alot more, usually over $100+ for big acts, because of less tickets to sell.... where as the ACC can sell for $70 to pack 19,000 fans in. But consider the travel, gas, time, I'm more than happy forking out a bit extra to not have to leave my city, see a great show, avoid driving the 401, parking, all that bullshit.... hell bring TOOL here for $150 a ticket and I'm in!

Kevindust29
08-04-2009, 05:38 AM
I think one of the reasons that Kingston sales have been so low is because the Kingston show was announced a couple weeks after the Toronto show...all the hardcore Tool fans in the surrounding area, especially those east of TO (Montreal, Ottawa, Upstate NY) got tickets for TO first, thinking that it would be the closest show to them. Not everyone can afford to attend multiple shows.

Thepott
08-04-2009, 06:54 AM
heading to kingston soon, going to be my 3rd show . Going with 2 buddies that have never seen tool, cant wait for their reaction. and 420scooter, kingston is a small ass town, and this show was advertised after the TO show so i kinda understand why their are still lots of tix available. Smaller show may be more interesting. Nevertheless its Tool. cant wait..

Thepott
08-04-2009, 07:01 AM
didnt see your thread kevindust.. lol , but ya i would much rather go to kingston, closer to me, and dont have to deal with hotels because kingston is close enough to drive in a night. i got floor tickets, so im happy.

Bino
08-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Also, no students. Queens University has, like, 25,000 students and 90% of them are out of town until September. The town itself is like 100k or so. Lived there for years but moved back to Toronto. Tell me...did they ever do anything with "Block D"?

igby
08-04-2009, 09:53 AM
dunno if i missed it somewhere else...but anyone know who's opening for them at this show?

BoNeSaW
08-04-2009, 10:03 AM
dunno if i missed it somewhere else...but anyone know who's opening for them at this show?

Tweak Bird is the opening band

http://www.myspace.com/tweakbird

fatback_mcswain
08-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I anyone can pick up a poster for me there's $50 in it for them! Please PM me if you can help me out.

Spoon
08-04-2009, 10:34 AM
It's hardly going to be empty...usually arenas allow 2000 people on the floor, and I just pulled up ticket number 16xx, so they're only 300-400 short of selling out the floor, there will still be 1600-1700 people on the floor alone.

420scooter
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
It's hardly going to be empty...usually arenas allow 2000 people on the floor, and I just pulled up ticket number 16xx, so they're only 300-400 short of selling out the floor, there will still be 1600-1700 people on the floor alone.

my point was simply that the other shows of this size on the tour sold out entirely very, very quickly

Spoon
08-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Oh no doubt, I agree 100%. I got Toronto tickets through a promoter but sold them because Kingston is closer to my home. I was amazed that it didn't sell out.

I've been avoiding this board to not see setlists in HOPES that there would be something new...looks like I'm going to be disappointed tonight.

9 songs? For real? Nothing different from the past two tours? Lame...boys needed a quick money grab I guess.

420scooter
08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Oh no doubt, I agree 100%. I got Toronto tickets through a promoter but sold them because Kingston is closer to my home. I was amazed that it didn't sell out.

I've been avoiding this board to not see setlists in HOPES that there would be something new...looks like I'm going to be disappointed tonight.

9 songs? For real? Nothing different from the past two tours? Lame...boys needed a quick money grab I guess.

Believe me, I've listened to every one and their brother bitch about the setlist on this tour...the only thing that we might be able to hang our hats on is what one person on this board brought up...that maybe, just MAYBE, they are playing these setlists over and over and over again because they are recording them for some future release? I believe that whoever said this was thinking video/DVD type thing, but I haven't seen any professional looking cameras at a Tool show ever, so possibly an official live album?...makes more sense to me...

Spoon
08-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Doubtful man, they recorded the last 6 shows of the 2001/2002 tour and nothing ever came of it.

It's a set that they are tight at, and is recent for them so it's easier to fire through. It's not even like they're switching one or two songs up at all.

It would have been so great to just mix it up a little bit - drop Stinkfist for crying out loud, drop 46&2, I've seen those live like 6 times each. Throw in Eulogy, or H., or The Grudge, something from Undertow, etc.

I don't want to come across as a huge whiner, but I was hoping to get something different. This will be my sixth Tool show and the best one was still the first, back in 2001. It seems like their effort has just steadily decreased, they put so much into that tour and it was incredible.

I'm sure I will still enjoy myself, but there won't be any "oh shit!" moments...I'm sure they're probably still doing the same Stinkfist extension, and they're probably still doing the Lateralus jam, and Maynard is probably still singing Vicarious in the same half-assed way...

Oh well.

sianspheric
08-04-2009, 11:46 AM
lol @ this tool actually thinking they are playing shitty setlists because they are filming a live DVD

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright

they're playing the same setlists because Maynard is a lazy fuck

Spoon
08-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Go easy on him, he's [relatively] new :P

Bino
08-04-2009, 01:35 PM
It would have been so great to just mix it up a little bit - drop Stinkfist for crying out loud, drop 46&2, I've seen those live like 6 times each. Throw in Eulogy, or H., or The Grudge, something from Undertow, etc.

I don't want to come across as a huge whiner, but I was hoping to get something different. This will be my sixth Tool show and the best one was still the first, back in 2001. It seems like their effort has just steadily decreased, they put so much into that tour and it was incredible.

I'm sure I will still enjoy myself, but there won't be any "oh shit!" moments...I'm sure they're probably still doing the same Stinkfist extension, and they're probably still doing the Lateralus jam, and Maynard is probably still singing Vicarious in the same half-assed way...

Oh well.

Amen. We're all there with you, bro. I'd keep 46&2 though. My first show was also 2001 and it was also the best, but you'll never see The Grudge live again. Ever. Ever. Maynard just doesn't have the vox any more to do that shit night after night. Love him to death like everyone else, but time waits for no man.

Note - the Hummingbird was a close 2nd simply because of the venue (HBC vs. Hamilstone's shitty Copps)

sianspheric
08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
He's practically fetus.

and with the 420 in his name, he's got to be just a mountain of intelligence.

Hodge
08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
massive downpour and storm right now

pre-soundcheck pic
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs162.snc1/6048_111624868251_8399278251_2081076_821641_n.jpg

also
Tool concert is now delayed slightly - opening band "Tweet Bird" is on at 8 and TOOL is on stage at 9.
lol @ tweet bird

base metal
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
^ looks like a good venue. i could dig it.

$avage
08-04-2009, 03:10 PM
lol @ this tool actually thinking they are playing shitty setlists because they are filming a live DVD

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright

they're playing the same setlists because Maynard is a lazy fuck

Last I checked this was a four piece band. I don't get why it's all maynard's fault they aren't playing anything else. Granted, he obviously can't do some songs they have due to age and also he won't do songs such as prison sex or wings for marie again.. but I don't see what is hindering them from doing opiate, or even triad. Hell, maynard wouldnt even need to participate in it and go take his clothes off or something. I personally could careless if it follows reflection or not, though reflection is my favorite song by them. Imagine lateralus with just triad thrown in the middle instead of a poorly done drum battle.. I'd dig it. Regardless, Danny and company have just as much of a say as Maynard does I imagine, and I'm sure they all have songs they don't really care to play and some they probably would love to. They just seemed so locked into the idea of beating down the senses to death, being both audio and video that they don't care to change it. Maybe they feel they reached the perfect show from a performance stand point? Who knows.. either way people need to stop blaming maynard for everything. He's old and not as energetic or as strong as a vocalist, I get it.

WingsForMarie
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Is anyone doing the live setlist thing tonight?

420scooter
08-04-2009, 05:21 PM
He's practically fetus.

and with the 420 in his name, he's got to be just a mountain of intelligence.

This coming from a citizen of a country that has marijuana coffee shops...It absolutely befuddles me that people want to attack people that they have never met on an internet message board. Go fuck yourself.

420scooter
08-04-2009, 05:23 PM
And another thing...to think that one is a better person for having more posts on this website is one of the most immature things I have ever heard...I wish I could sit home all day and bitch about successful people.

jwb
08-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Is anyone doing the live setlist thing tonight?

I hope so.
Kanaduh, you got your phone charged up? I know you're there! Get to work!
LOL!

ladycommish
08-04-2009, 05:56 PM
^ looks like a good venue. i could dig it.

looks like the world arena, amirite?

SterileEyes
08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Setlist:

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
LK/Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Lateralus
Vicarious

...just getting it out of the way.

jwb
08-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Setlist:

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
LK/Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Lateralus
Vicarious

...just getting it out of the way.

You forgot Aenima...

Spoon
08-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Overall: Meh.

I'm jaded...same setlist, Maynard's not even singing the amazing parts of the songs, the yells, band was tight, show was fucking loud as hell. I hung back and watched Junior during Lateralus, man has a very intricate job, interesting stuff.

Flood was great, three youngn's around me said "That must be new!!" lol cute...