PDA

View Full Version : TooL Tour without an Album?

Elton John
05-27-2009, 08:13 AM
I guess the gods of prog art rock have finally sold out. Doing a small summer tour only a year and some change after their last tour? This isnt the TooL i grew up listening to. Oversaturation was what they completely steered clear of back in the 90s. Now it seems they are just capitalist business men who are in it for the buck. This is too soon for a new tour and i say this being the biggest tool fan i know.

TooL is turning into bon jovi or ozzy osbourne or metallica...touring without an album being released. I guess the $ wins out over carefully planned and constructed art in the end...it always does. Unless Maynard has had vocal surgery and can actually sing like he could in the 90s again...i will always disagree with this tour.

TooL is slowly becomming watered down and it just pisses me off. From them showing their faces on the 10kdays CD to them doing every single dumb ass interview they can get in any retarded metal magazine, to Maynard doing "Puscifer" and showing us that he is hands down the weakest link in tool, to maynard wearing cowboy hats and boots with tight jeans and no shirt on stage trying to look "sexy", to maynard exploiting his celebrity status to sell his wine instead of letting his wine sell its self because it is a good product. If you told me all of this was going to happen in the 90s i wouldnt have believed you for a second.

Its all so god damn [slur removed]. I want my demon maynard back...not this wine selling "rapper" who sings some of the time in the best band on the planet.

slamminsalmon
05-27-2009, 08:17 AM
i think part of the over saturation is to get their message out to more audiences.

thats the simplified version of it, but you gotta remember, they are humans before they are anything else. they may have some loyalty to their fan base, but no more than a drunk to a bar tender.

Hodge
05-27-2009, 08:30 AM
oh no i get to see one of my fav bands live this summer when i didn't think i would for another few years, i'm so upset.....

Chris_Brightwell
05-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I guess the gods of prog art rock have finally sold out.

LMAO. Are you serious? Have you listened to "Hooker With a Penis" lately?

Yast3r
05-27-2009, 12:38 PM
If you listen to and enjoy Tool, it doesn't give a shit what they do on the side. You're admiring the art, not the artists.

Inner_Eulogy
05-27-2009, 03:54 PM
they may have some loyalty to their fan base, but no more than a drunk to a bar tender.

haha

Inner_Eulogy
05-27-2009, 03:55 PM

Well, this IS a mute point you're making....that was written well over 10yrs ago and we're talking the present here.

Inner_Eulogy
05-27-2009, 03:56 PM
If you listen to and enjoy Tool, it doesn't give a shit what they do on the side. You're admiring the art, not the artists.

I concur

Chris_Brightwell
05-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Well, this IS a mute point you're making....that was written well over 10yrs ago and we're talking the present here.

It's "moot". And no, I'm not.

Kody27
05-28-2009, 09:07 AM
tool only sold out compared to this demigod like image you guys have created in your head. they're not these angry hardcore rebels that are trying to take over the world with badass music, they're fucking rodeo clowns, they've said it themselves. they don't even take themselves seriously anymore because once you reach a certain status and fame, there's a whole lifestyle waiting for you already, and you have to tip toe around that to make it through the muck of fame and fortune. imo, they've handled all their fame pretty tastefully, tools about evolving and growing, so why shouldn't they reach for the stars and try new things if it's within their grasp? or would you rather see maynard suffer every night and sing angry demonic songs for the rest of his career, as he's said before, "if i can't heal from my art, then what's the point in doing it at all?"

Inner_Eulogy
05-28-2009, 09:39 AM
It's "moot". And no, I'm not.

Moot Mute, poh-tay-toh pah-tah-toh....whatever.....you're still wrong

Inner_Eulogy
05-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Chris is right, Tool sold out long ago.

Blah

lotus.
05-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Its all so god damn [slur removed]. I want my demon maynard back...not this wine selling "rapper" who sings some of the time in the best band on the planet.

Maynard is in his mid 40's, what do you expect? Enjoy the shows that they are playing, that's what I'm going to do.

05-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I guess the gods of prog art rock have finally sold out. Doing a small summer tour only a year and some change after their last tour? This isnt the TooL i grew up listening to. Oversaturation was what they completely steered clear of back in the 90s. Now it seems they are just capitalist business men who are in it for the buck. This is too soon for a new tour and i say this being the biggest tool fan i know.

TooL is turning into bon jovi or ozzy osbourne or metallica...touring without an album being released. I guess the $ wins out over carefully planned and constructed art in the end...it always does. Unless Maynard has had vocal surgery and can actually sing like he could in the 90s again...i will always disagree with this tour.

TooL is slowly becomming watered down and it just pisses me off. From them showing their faces on the 10kdays CD to them doing every single dumb ass interview they can get in any retarded metal magazine, to Maynard doing "Puscifer" and showing us that he is hands down the weakest link in tool, to maynard wearing cowboy hats and boots with tight jeans and no shirt on stage trying to look "sexy", to maynard exploiting his celebrity status to sell his wine instead of letting his wine sell its self because it is a good product. If you told me all of this was going to happen in the 90s i wouldnt have believed you for a second.

you are my #1 poster

good stuff

crincled
05-28-2009, 10:31 AM
i agree and disagree with the OP at the same time.

i bet if 90's maynard were to travel in time to meet present day maynard, he'd crush his skull for being such a fucking sellout.

On the other hand I do like the direction the band has taken: less anger, more uplifting lyrics, and they have also managed to stay musically sharp. I think this tour is for them to warm up for the recording of the new album, and to make some money for recording expenses. imo, of course.

Chris_Brightwell
05-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Moot Mute, poh-tay-toh pah-tah-toh....whatever.....

LMAO. Not quite.

http://www.google.com/search?q=define:moot
http://www.google.com/search?q=define:mute

you're still wrong

I [was wrong] long before you ever even heard my name.

Inner_Eulogy
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
LMAO. Not quite.

I know

I [was wrong] long before you ever even heard my name.

It happens

Rolo
05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
oh no i get to see one of my fav bands live this summer when i didn't think i would for another few years, i'm so upset.....
LOL.

Master_Of_Nothing
05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Wish they'd go back to grass roots and play in NZ pubs. fuck that'd be intense

Tezcatlipoca
07-09-2009, 12:24 PM
"All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

The Sven
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM

Did anyone bitch about Tool oversaturating the market when they did the 1998 tour after doing Lollapalooza in 97, and a tour before that in 96? Tool will always be the Tool you grew up listening to in the 90's, because they're the same four guys still doing exactly what they want to do. They showed their faces in the artwork for Undertow, long before 10,000 Days. They did tons and tons of interviews throughout the 90's. The image you have of Tool in your mind is just one that you blind yourself with so you can continue to believe that you're part of something special, "one of the few," who are the "hardcore Tool fans." Tool chose to make a career with their art as soon as they signed a record deal and made T-shirts for all of us to buy. But more importantly.. best band on the planet? Seriously?

Prisoner 37
07-09-2009, 03:35 PM
You should go find all of the members of Tool and give them a good spanking.How dare they express themselves freely!
If you don't like them anymore,then go and find some local band with only a handful of people at a show and go to a show,make yourself feel special for once,you deserve it buddy.And as far as them showing their faces on the 10,000 Days art,well, the album is all about them and their lives and experiences.And there's a lot more going on in those photos than a photo op for a magazine cover or something similar.
I imagine you'll still go to the show and be one of those a-holes who stand there the whole time and rant and rave about this and that,rather than be in the moment and enjoy it for what it is.

I think what you really need is a pacifier,or something to suck on.Wanna meat?

Alex in Chains
07-09-2009, 04:27 PM

This. And I think they may dust off some old tunes this time around. I hope so. And whether they do or not, it's been about three years since I've seen them, and I was actually pretty bummed a few months ago, before these dates were announced, to think I wasn't going to see them again until 2011 or so.

Now it seems they are just capitalist business men

I'm tired of people using "capitalist" like it's a pejorative term. Capitalism is what made this country great.

. . . to Maynard doing "Puscifer" and showing us that he is hands down the weakest link in tool, to maynard wearing cowboy hats and boots with tight jeans and no shirt on stage trying to look "sexy", to maynard exploiting his celebrity status to sell his wine instead of letting his wine sell its self because it is a good product.

This part actually made me smile, and I kind of have to agree. Maynard is wearing pretty thin on me these days, and his side projects are just such dogshit, especially compared to Tool. (I haven't tried his wine yet because I'm sure there's no way it lives up to its price tag.)

AbsoluteJesus
07-09-2009, 06:48 PM
As far as maynards side projects go i think that A Perfect Circle put out good music (aside from the terrible covers) And as far as it stands TooL never claimed that they didnt sell out, fans just assume so because they don't want to compare there favorite band to shitty bands like metallica. The truth is that in the music business if you want to make money you HAVE to sell out, otherwise you stay a shitty unsigned band and you grow up to be poor. The next thing is how dare anyone complain about Tool doing a small summer tour? I just recently became a Tool fan and didnt think i would be able to see them until 2112 when they would get together to perform Aenima as the world was ending, i for one think if they want to play some music let them play some fuckin music. And yes im beyond excited to see them on the 28th, even if they are "sell outs"

dynohmike
07-09-2009, 08:03 PM
god, what a stupid fucking argument. so they didn't live up to YOUR expectations? so the fuck what? they're doing what they want, which is playing shows and we're doing what we want... which is going to their shows. and they're gearing up for a new album so this could be what helps them focus to make it happen. i'm glad they're crushed your idea of what they should be. there's only one thing that should be - a band that does whatever the fuck they want with their art. fuck your ideas. you're as worthless as a rolling stone critic.

The Embryo 2
07-09-2009, 08:12 PM

I'm willing to bet a large sum that if you go look at the tour history this is NOT the first mini-tour without a related release.

I'm thinking West Coast.....with The Melvins......in the 90's....

Tmax
07-09-2009, 11:30 PM
You should go find all of the members of Tool and give them a good spanking.How dare they express themselves freely!
If you don't like them anymore,then go and find some local band with only a handful of people at a show and go to a show,make yourself feel special for once,you deserve it buddy.And as far as them showing their faces on the 10,000 Days art,well, the album is all about them and their lives and experiences.And there's a lot more going on in those photos than a photo op for a magazine cover or something similar.
I imagine you'll still go to the show and be one of those a-holes who stand there the whole time and rant and rave about this and that,rather than be in the moment and enjoy it for what it is.

I agree, all these people that cant stand Tool anymore should not go to a show or buy any future albums, go find an underground unsigned band and get the fuck off of Tool fan sites. You know what the funny thing is though? You will go to the shows and buy the albums, you just like to bitch!! What your not doing is what the band suggests that you do with their music (use it as motivation or a catalyst to generate something positive in your life or help you through tough times) How can you enjoy the music if all you do is try and find something negative about it or about the band? Also Puscifer, A Perfect Circle, and Volto are all great side projects producing amazing and original music.

markuspoop
07-10-2009, 10:25 PM
As far as maynards side projects go i think that A Perfect Circle put out good music (aside from the terrible covers) And as far as it stands TooL never claimed that they didnt sell out, fans just assume so because they don't want to compare there favorite band to shitty bands like metallica. The truth is that in the music business if you want to make money you HAVE to sell out, otherwise you stay a shitty unsigned band and you grow up to be poor. The next thing is how dare anyone complain about Tool doing a small summer tour? I just recently became a Tool fan and didnt think i would be able to see them until 2112 when they would get together to perform Aenima as the world was ending, i for one think if they want to play some music let them play some fuckin music. And yes im beyond excited to see them on the 28th, even if they are "sell outs"

2112? Do you know something we don't?

PRYING OPEN MY THRID EYE
07-10-2009, 11:49 PM
this is a fucking retarted thread to begin with......my god our fucking favorite band is touring this summer and all we wanna talk about is selling out!???!?! How about we discuss whether we are going to get D/R/T!!!! What an ignorant fucking stupid post by Elton John.........for whatever fucking reason they are touring lets appreciate it, because they arent gettin any younger, and we all know they only have one more album coming out and one final tour after that! ignorant fucks....

cirkus
07-11-2009, 12:31 AM
2112? Do you know something we don't?

rush and the mayans are colluding.

taxicabgod
07-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Wish they'd go back to grass roots and play in NZ pubs. fuck that'd be intense
i'd settle for a 2nd round at the huntridge theater in vegas.

ShellKov
07-11-2009, 09:02 AM
I've never been to a Tool show but I love them more than any other band. I can't even listen to other music sometimes b/c I think nothing compares to Tool. Anyways, I really want to see them this summer but the only show I could make it to is 8 hours away does anyone have experience with travelling that far to see Tool/ or think its worth it?

slamminsalmon
07-11-2009, 09:05 AM
ive had many friends go 5 states away just for one show, if you like tool that much it would be worth it. plus getting their is half the fun!

eulogys
07-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Back in '01, I spent 40+ hours driving 2450+ miles over a span of 2 weeks seeing 10 shows in 9 cities. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Would I do it again? NEVER.

crincled
07-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Back in '01, I spent 40+ hours driving 2450+ miles over a span of 2 weeks seeing 10 shows in 9 cities. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Would I do it again? NEVER.

wow. that sounds awesome.

eulogys
07-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes it was crincled. One of the advantages of living in the Northeast, large population base that warrants multiple shows within an easy days drive. The most memorable part of the entire trip was seeing in person ground zero in NYC 3 weeks after 9/11.

I also did a 20+ hour, 1275+ mile trek over 6 days seeing 5 shows in 5 cities during the summer '02 tour. That one involved all 1 day round trips, with 1/2 of that (10+hrs, 650+ miles) being just 1 show which I believe was the last time the played the Patient during the Lateralus tours.

PRYING OPEN MY THRID EYE
07-11-2009, 12:29 PM
driving to charlotte from indy by myself for bojangles show...Can't wait

crincled
07-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Yes it was crincled. One of the advantages of living in the Northeast, large population base that warrants multiple shows within an easy days drive. The most memorable part of the entire trip was seeing in person ground zero in NYC 3 weeks after 9/11.

I also did a 20+ hour, 1275+ mile trek over 6 days seeing 5 shows in 5 cities during the summer '02 tour. That one involved all 1 day round trips, with 1/2 of that (10+hrs, 650+ miles) being just 1 show which I believe was the last time the played the Patient during the Lateralus tours.

im flying over to NY for 1 show lol

eulogys
07-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I've recently moved down to Florida and I'm going to the GA show and then flying up to NH for the Manchester show and to see and party with a bunch of friends. Should be some good times at the end of july/beginning of august.

ShellKov
07-11-2009, 01:08 PM

I really want to travel to see them! I really wish there was some way to know what set list they were going to play!

eulogys
07-11-2009, 01:33 PM
I really want to travel to see them! I really wish there was some way to know what set list they were going to play!

For someone who hasn't seen them, the set list really shouldn't matter at all. I've seen them 30+ times and really don't care what they play. Even if the Georgia and NH show have the same set list, I'm going to enjoy both shows. Sure, there's a handful (maybe less) of songs that I haven't seen them play live that I would love to hear at either of the shows I'm attending ('ticks' comes to mind), but it's irrelevant to actually just seeing them play anything.

ShellKov
07-11-2009, 08:12 PM
For someone who hasn't seen them, the set list really shouldn't matter at all. I've seen them 30+ times and really don't care what they play. Even if the Georgia and NH show have the same set list, I'm going to enjoy both shows. Sure, there's a handful (maybe less) of songs that I haven't seen them play live that I would love to hear at either of the shows I'm attending ('ticks' comes to mind), but it's irrelevant to actually just seeing them play anything.

Where in FL did you move to? I just moved to FL last month from NY and my problem is that I would be going by myself to the show if I did go, b/c I don't know anyone down here yet. I guess it really doesn't matter what songs they play you're right. I want to see them so bad but I don't know if I should risk going alone, in a car that sucks haha

mwest24
07-11-2009, 10:02 PM
I've never been to a Tool show but I love them more than any other band. I can't even listen to other music sometimes b/c I think nothing compares to Tool. Anyways, I really want to see them this summer but the only show I could make it to is 8 hours away does anyone have experience with travelling that far to see Tool/ or think its worth it?

Absolutely worth it for a first timer. Worth driving that far, getting a hotel, and rolling solo if you can't find anybody to go with you. Especially since (fingers crossed) this is not attached to an album, hence possibly more well rounded show album wise (I'll settle for even just slightly).

marauderthirty
07-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Have you ever thought that there may be an upside to this not being part of the 10,000 Days Tour... Like maybe a setlist that isn't 90% 10,000 Days material?

TheRuleOfThree
07-15-2009, 12:24 PM
This post hurts my head.

PS - I love the idea that Tool weren't selling an image when they were dark and mysterious, but now that you can see their faces and Maynard wears jeans now and then they're all of a sudden sell-outs. People don't seem to understand when their own opinion is just as bad as the alternative.

isthesystemdown
07-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Just to point out, to those saying capitalism is bad. Capitalism is one reason why we are a great nation, and also a factor in why the economy is failing. The lack of capitalism is truly hurting us right now. Rich dont spend their money and let it trickle down the economy, and find ways to get rich on the side with no investment, and we take dirt and crappy jobs and say were happy. The technology increases, but the standard of living keeps getting crappier and more expensive. This is a whole different discussion entirely, but for now, just be glad Tool is playing in their same fashion and enjoy it while it lasts.

This post hurts my head.

PS - I love the idea that Tool weren't selling an image when they were dark and mysterious, but now that you can see their faces and Maynard wears jeans now and then they're all of a sudden sell-outs. People don't seem to understand when their own opinion is just as bad as the alternative.

ladycommish
07-19-2009, 03:20 PM
I just recently became a Tool fan and didnt think i would be able to see them until 2112 when they would get together to perform Aenima as the world was ending

hm. I'd love to see this. but...I think I will probably be dead by then or someone/something else in another life. as will the band and you. unless you have some kind of supernatural mystical powers.

Elton John
07-22-2009, 02:13 PM
So im guessing a lot of you are agreeing with me now that the setlist is identical to the shows 3 years ago.

I am very prophetic, i knew this tour would suck for long time fans.

Illuminus
07-22-2009, 02:56 PM
So im guessing a lot of you are agreeing with me now that the setlist is identical to the shows 3 years ago.

Haha yeah I wish I wasnt so delusionally optimistic when I first read they were doing another tour back in May. I didnt spend all that much to travel to see them in SLC, but it was still a let down. All the peeps who are happy about the same set they have seen from the last 2 years must be newbie fans or just dont get how important Tool really is in the shit filled world of music out there. They created the responsibility of being truely unique, and they are failing to uphold that responsiblity by playing the same songs and becoming stale. Why oh why Tool are you not keeping it fresh when you so easily could? The songs they are playing are phenomenal and I have listened to them all multiple times, but I dont have to spend $50 to press play on my CD player, ya know?

For first timers, this show is excellent, but for those who saw them anytime in 2007 should be let down if you ask me.

Prisoner 37
07-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Nope.you're still a dumbass who just wants to find something to bitch about so you feel special.Now I feel special.

Elton John
07-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Nope.you're still a dumbass who just wants to find something to bitch about so you feel special.Now I feel special.

Definately a newb tool fan. I can spot them from a mile away. Only standing up and singing to Schism and Vicarious. Its so pathetic its cute.

hbynoe
07-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Me and my fiance are coming from the southern caribbean, via NYC over to OH for the night to see tool. i have seen them 11 times. She never has, i study in NYC, she is coming up to see my life and tool...i am sure tool before my life. seeing tool is always worth it...consider yourself lucky it is only 8 hours.

Prisoner 37
07-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Definately a newb tool fan. I can spot them from a mile away. Only standing up and singing to Schism and Vicarious. Its so pathetic its cute.

I've been to at least one show of every US tour since 1993's Undertow tour,and have been on this site way before you,unless like me your name is a new name,if so,then who knows.And if you think you're a prophet because you foresaw that a bunch of Tool fans would complain and whine about what songs Tool did or didn't play then you are probably the newb.Sorry you've became so cynical and jaded,hopefully one day you'll move past your negativity,if not,i'tll continue to swallow your Soul whole.

Yast3r
07-22-2009, 06:38 PM
uplifting lyrics? Lateralus was uplifting. 10K couldn't lift my ball sac (and I has small balls)

Lateralus has an uplifting meaning, but the message is convoluted with its delivery. Lateralus isn't catchy, upbeat and sometimes can be hard to listen to if you're not in the right mood for it. 10,000 Days on the other hand is more of an 'everyday' album, it's faster, louder, and if I may use the word, enjoyable. I really don't see why it gets shit on by everyone. It's a fantastic album and it is in my opinion a great refreshment from the rest of the Tool library.

Yast3r
07-22-2009, 06:41 PM
and bingo was his name-o.

Imagine having THEE best drummer, rockin' creative bass and art minded guitarist at your disposal and you bitch about a short tour or would rather crush grapes? fuck me

Sometimes a man can have the greatest wife in the world, yet he gets caught with the office secretary. We can't resist our temptations, and if wine is his calling over rock music, that's his decision. It's pretty obvious he has changed greatly over the years, one needs to look no further than Puscifer to see this.

Also, I don't see him complaining anywhere about the tour--or implying that he'd much rather work on his vineyard. Hearsay around this forum sure spreads as a common 'fact' pretty fast.

toolrox19
07-22-2009, 07:57 PM
On the other hand I do like the direction the band has taken: less anger, more uplifting lyrics, and they have also managed to stay musically sharp. I think this tour is for them to warm up for the recording of the new album, and to make some money for recording expenses. imo, of course.

this is one of the best ways of putting it ive heard yet. i compleatly agree

Prisoner 37
07-22-2009, 10:04 PM
It's pretty obvious he has changed greatly over the years, one needs to look no further than Puscifer to see this.

eh,not really,C.A.D. is very Puscifer like, minus all the great recording gear.

isthesystemdown
07-22-2009, 10:26 PM
i know this isnt album discussion, but what can be assume for the next album then? Maynard always seems to want to invent further tangents and branches away from undertow as time has gone on and is looking into the future rather then saying how horrible it is in the presently (very bland description for the sake of time, but quality cant be passed up, yes) so can we find a much safer and bridging set for their next album, or will it delve just as dark only to pull you out into the light after an amazing journey like in lateralus? Guesses?

Illuminus
07-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I really don't see why it gets shit on by everyone. It's a fantastic album and it is in my opinion a great refreshment from the rest of the Tool library.

10,000 Days is amazing. I whole heartedly agree with you that its a fantastic piece. A great evolution for sure. I always laugh when someone complains about any of their albums.

The music is not the problem here people, its the stale attitudes that's causing such frustration within people who understand Tool and understand the status they have created for themselves. They are not living up to the standards they themselves set. Get it through your grateful heads that this tour is confusing to anyone who truly see's Tool for who they are, or should I say were? Fuck it hurts to say that....

Christopher-GOBLIN
07-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Me too brother, from Columbus, Ohio. It'll be a long drive but it will totally worth it. Then again in Cincinasty OH, of course. I may try to go to the VA show, but dunno if I would be able to scalp a ticket for the floor for under $200.

gravenewworld
07-23-2009, 07:37 PM
(kindof generally responding to the main point of this and not too anyone in specific)
It was my first time catching Tool this time around...so I was pretty stoked, granted ive been listening to them since 98 roughly...never had an opp to catch their show and not to diss any die hard tool fans...it just seem some put them on a pedestal.
I agree with alot have said regarding this sort of out of the blue mini-escapade.
While theyre miles above alot of other groups that record and perform live, this was a new experience and a great one at that even if it was rehashed or done sometime ago..its new to me.
I think they could tour without really even having to support album; theyre still supporting their ideals and the whole concept of who they are... but perhaps I might not be getting the point of 'Tool'.
to me, performing is performing. and everyone involved from the band to the techs and lighting were phenomenal and crafted a great experience.
id love another chance to experience this again...so hopefully its warm up for a new production

Elton John
07-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Grave, i agree wholeheartedly. If you are seeing tool for the first time, with the exception of maynard's voice on certain parts...it will be the best concert you will have the opportunity to see.

This whole post was more geared towards tool veterans who have seen them 5+ times. Specifically those who saw them during the 10kdays tour in 2006-7. For these people, this tour will be a let down.

Thatsarealzinger
07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Grave, i agree wholeheartedly. If you are seeing tool for the first time, with the exception of maynard's voice on certain parts...it will be the best concert you will have the opportunity to see.

This whole post was more geared towards tool veterans who have seen them 5+ times. Specifically those who saw them during the 10kdays tour in 2006-7. For these people, this tour will be a let down.

I have seen Tool shows in 2006 and 2007, as well as 2001 and 2002. I can promise you that as long as Tool gives it their all, which I'm sure they will, ithe show I see next week will not be a letdown for me.

Elton John
07-24-2009, 05:38 PM
If you have low standards and dont expect anything out of your favorite musicians that you have personally given 10+thousand dollars too...then sure, you wont ever be let down. If they came out, and maynard sang 1/2 the songs you wouldnt be let down, because you dont hold them up to any standards.

Me? I hold tool up to standards i hold every band up to. I want them to sound better than a tool cover band....Maynard, unfortunately...doesnt.

EXCEPTION: I just listened to a live version of flood that is about 1 1/2 minutes long and maynard sounded better than he ever did on the 10kdays tour. Maybe there is hope for his voice.

Thatsarealzinger
07-24-2009, 05:50 PM
If you have low standards and dont expect anything out of your favorite musicians that you have personally given 10+thousand dollars too...then sure, you wont ever be let down. If they came out, and maynard sang 1/2 the songs you wouldnt be let down, because you dont hold them up to any standards.

Me? I hold tool up to standards i hold every band up to. I want them to sound better than a tool cover band....Maynard, unfortunately...doesnt.

EXCEPTION: I just listened to a live version of flood that is about 1 1/2 minutes long and maynard sounded better than he ever did on the 10kdays tour. Maybe there is hope for his voice.

I appreciate your viewpoint, but please don't tell me whether or not I hold them up to any standards. You don't know me well enough to comment on my standards. I'm not trying to sound rude or mean, and I understand how you feel, just word your statement better next time.

You know what, I listened to some audio from the current tour and I thought that about Maynard as well. He seems to sound as good as, if not better, than he did 2 or 3 years ago. I think he has sounded about the same since 2001/2002 anyway.

darkslayer96
07-24-2009, 06:14 PM
I think they're just showing off their new lights and laser show. I can see a big difference between the 10,000 days shows and the current 2009 tour.

lol

Prisoner 37
07-24-2009, 06:47 PM

dude I love how our telling me how I'm gonna feel about a show.I've listened to the Lateralus CD so much I've worn out 2 of them(and I take very good care of my CD's)and I still feel the same way every time I listen to it.Same thing goes for other great movies,music,media in general.Just because you have became jaded and cynical doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.This will be the 10th(hopefully 11th too,if I can afford to go to Charlotte),and I can guarantee you I will be dancing my ass off and loving every minute of it.Stay positive.

plexus
07-24-2009, 07:43 PM

elton john for the im a turd win.

Elton John
07-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Ill see you in grand prairie plexus and then you can say that to my face woman. In all seriousness...im thinking about painting a big black stripe down my face like maynard did during the lateralus tour. My GF is going for her first time and id really like to embarrass her as much as possible.

iswingonthespiral
07-31-2009, 10:31 AM

X10000

caddywompus
07-31-2009, 11:03 AM
They are still going.......
Look at all the bands they started with. None of them are together, some are dead, and many can't play a lick or rhyme if they even wanted to........and they probably do!
Tool has evolved into the best band of my era.......I don't know how old many of you are-
I'm am very proud that I'm still going to Tool shows, they still sound good and I'm loving it!

Schema
07-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Just think of it this way...

Tool doesn't need an album to tour. They're that badass.

crincled
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM

end of thread.

capthowdy1027
07-31-2009, 01:40 PM
I've seen Tool 4 times already, started with Lolla in 1997. I consider myself to be a veteran fan, and have seen all the different tours since then. Am I somewhat disapointed that this tour is very similar to the sets I seen a couple years ago, yes. But, that doesn't get me down at all. Tool is coming to town, I have pit seats and I'm stupid excited about it. I've never had this good of seats to a Tool show, and I probably never will again. I can't wait. Who cares if they don't have a new album to tour on? If they would have done an extra tour in between Aenima and Lateralus everybody would have been excited as shit about it. As fans of a band, I don't see why it should matter that they don't have new material to play, or they are playing the same stuff we have already seen. I love the songs they are playing, so I'm not complaining at all. I could understand some of you guys being more upset if you went to alot of shows on the 10K Days tour, but I only went twice, so it's not like I've seen these songs too many times.

My favorite band is coming to town, and I'm going. And, I am very excited and can't wait. That's all there is to it to me.

Rolo
07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking about painting a big black stripe down my face like maynard did during the lateralus tour.

Cool! Be sure to use a permanent marker for the deep black effect.

Rolo
07-31-2009, 01:49 PM
My favorite band is coming to town, and I'm going. And, I am very excited and can't wait. That's all there is to it to me.

Good for you. My only complaint would be them not coming to Europe for a second round :(

Illuminus
07-31-2009, 02:08 PM

The thread title isnt implying Tool needs an album to tour. The reason Elton titled the thread that way is because Tool have been using the same process for about a decade now. They release an epic album, base the tours theme off the vibe of the new album and tour the shit out of the planet for 2 years. Then 3 years pass and they release another album, and so on.

When they announced this tour, a lot of us hoped that would mean different songs than what they just finished playing 300 or so times.

themagpie
08-03-2009, 08:15 PM

I'm a long time Tool fan, new to this forum. I particularly enjoy reading people's opinions about where Tool is at right now compared to where they hoped Tool would be, such as touring without new music. I know we all would ravenously consume any new material, but I always have to wonder about how we as fans set up expectations. We hope for the band (or Maynard, specifically) to be the guy who wrote those angry words in the 90's. He's grown, shouldn't we? Imagine if your parents wanted you to only date that one girl they liked 10 years ago, would you pretend to be the person you were ten years ago, just to make them happy? Ironically, the same quality we love about Tool, their refusal to conform to expectations, is probably the same reason we may never see them again perform some of the early material live. I read that fans have heard the band, minus Maynard, soundchecking "Hooker". Maybe that's them playing it for the joy of playing, knowing Maynard won't ever sing it live again.

As most bands who have survived as long as Tool has, they have all grown and become new versions of themsleves, and I think from watching them on stage, it might be clear they are not as close as they once were (or as close I imagined them, coming together in LA), as evidenced by the lack of a "group hug" we have seen at past shows. They all have other interests, and return to their partnership to create more art. Or is it commerce? Maybe both.

I'll pose a hypotheical question to you, curious to know what Tool fans here have to offer...

If the band has grown apart, which would you rather have: a yearly month long summer tour, with no new songs, or, have the band break up and preserve what some fans see as a level of integrity they hope will never be watered down? Would you rather see Maynard up there, hating it, doing it out of some obligation to the band or the fans, or would you rather see him happily farming grapes in Arizona? And when you answer that last one, be aware of your own selfishness.

Do we condemn them for putting their faces on a t-shirt and getting one step closer to Mettalica-dom or do we continue to buy tickets for the arena shows, knowing the band is past its creative prime?

Another thing, hasn't Maynard complained for years about camera flashes and laser pointers aimed at him? Do us all a favor and if someone near you points one of those annoying laser pointers at the stage, grab it and stomp on it. I guess its inevitable that with audiences of 10,000 plus, there are bound to be people who don't get it.

One more thing, I think this summer tour is a chance to dust off the cobwebs and re-connect. Danny, Justin and Adam seem to be ready to get back into the woodshed.

EyeFlys
08-14-2009, 03:22 AM
Holy shit dude. Maybe they enjoy touring? As for money making off it, good for them. I wouldn't be surprised if the money went into the studio for the next album.

Illuminus
08-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Holy shit dude. Maybe they enjoy touring? As for money making off it, good for them. I wouldn't be surprised if the money went into the studio for the next album.

Unlikely

wsuvtx
08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
They are one of my favorite bands. Probably my favorite band that actually still plays live and puts out music. However, what is it with them playing the same set every night? And why so short? Being that they do not record or tour as much as other bands, they should switch up the set list every night and play at least 2 hours if not more. For $50+ a ticket that is not asking too much. Other than that I love their music and they perform live flawlessly. I just wish they would go into more obscure songs and older songs. After all they are not or at least do not seem to corporate rock whores that just care about getting paid. Reminds me of the shows back in the 80s when every band played the same set every night.

Dylanja
08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
I completely understand that they've progressed as a band. But is Right In Two or The Pot too much to ask? Is Maynard already disconnected from those as well? I understand some may be too tough to sing such as Ticks and Leeches but what about The Patient, Reflection etc. Hell, let the band play Triad by themselves at least. I don't think that's too much to ask at all.

BillyxRansom
08-21-2009, 02:01 PM

And oh, how they manage to still maintain the integrity of their personal message to the world in that song.

*Not sarcasm.

EyeFlys
08-31-2009, 05:36 AM
I can't believe people are complaining about bands touring.

SilverGrudge
08-31-2009, 11:48 AM
I can't believe people are complaining about bands touring.

aye aye.

people get pissed because tool has built this strange persona to where as a fan it seems like the band as a whole is doing everything possible to please them and stay true to who they are. in reality i doubt that's how the band operates...i'm sure maybe 1 or 2 members of the band enjoy keeping the persona they've obtained but in the long run all the mystery and shroud is bound to wear off. they're old guys who wanted to play live again and i'm sure being asked to play lolla convinced them to turn a single date show into a mini summer tour.

keep your panties on

eMpTyFox
09-26-2009, 04:26 PM

Any opportunity to see TooL is an honor... if you don't feel the same than stop listening...

Before you call me a noob, be aware that the 1998 mini-tour was my first show. This is my second account here as the old gaping_lotus account seems to have been deleted. That's what I get for having a life and not bitching about my favourite band on the interwebz...

Oh also, in response as to whether or not it's worth it to travel to see TooL... I've driven 30+ hours straight to Coachella '99, seen them in San Diego in 2007, Seattle a few times, The Gorge (2007) and Medford, OR (1998) and every single minute and cent was worth it!

the_last_crow
10-22-2009, 05:06 AM
hey does anyone know if they are touring in the uk? ive heard rumours that they are playing in manchester end of april?

tooldude
10-22-2009, 06:16 AM
very unlikely.... maynard is bringing puscifer to the east coast in the spring of 2010... then i would think they will be getting back into the studio after that.. where did you hear the rumors?

the_last_crow
10-25-2009, 05:21 AM
my "mate" said hed seen it on tool band the only reference i can find is manchester usa i would love to see these guys though ... honestly until last year id heard of them but never heard them and i absolutely love maynards voice and lyrics and lack of ... hmmm love is probably the wrong word but you probably know what i mean by it. i wish theyd tour in the uk

RazorHead
11-29-2009, 03:19 PM

all i have to say to that is a big fat AMEN.

valhalla
12-07-2009, 09:29 AM
"all i have to say is you're a big fat idiot for bumping this thread and agreeing with the terribly thought out post using a stupid cliche."

Do you think Elton is alone here? Nope. I'm one who agrees with him and I'm sure there are thousands more like us. Does that mean we're right? Nope. We're simply stating our opinion. You have your opinion which is polar opposite of ours. We simply do not understand how you can keep shelling out your hard earned money to a guy who oviously hates you and disrespects you enough to do a couple concerts, with NO change in the set list, and basically phone in his performance. If this appeals to you fine. I think it's an insult. AND I think it's an insult to disrespect someone, ANYONE, whose opinion differs from your own.

Get over yourselves.

Psilo
12-07-2009, 06:22 PM
"All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

^ This.

newb.

TheDude420
12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
i personally saw relatively the same show 4 times from 07 to 09 and i for one am not disappointed whatsoever. They have honed their skill to a fine art. 3 times in 07, albeit a different show, one with right in two with aenema encore, one with flood and one with pushit, everything else the same, but no hate here. I knew what i was getting into. In 09 i saw the "new" rosetta stoned and it was sick. People, listen, they are a band that has done their experimentation llive many times over and has found what works. I dont mind seeing pretty much the same thing several times over, and if i get the same exact show next time i will be pleased because to me, it sounds, looks, and feels great. Dont expect '98 all over again, not gonna happen.

valhalla
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I agree, it's insulting to insult someone with a different opinion then me. I'm an arrogant dumbfuck. Oh wait, you just did the same fucking thing..

Obviously, you're a lot smarter than I am so, if you don't mind, could you show me exactly where I insulted you?

TIA

12-08-2009, 01:24 PM
hey wheres inner_eulogy

zepp2se7en
12-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Tool album Spring 2011 just heard the other day. Check around it's no bull shit.

Rolo
12-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Tool album Spring 2011 just heard the other day. Check around it's no bull shit.

Without a decent link, this is a worthless post.

kanaduh
12-10-2009, 08:07 PM
or we can pretend this is an Italian court.

AgentDMT
04-30-2010, 11:10 AM
All I know is that light show is fucking sweet, totally worth it.
Second, lets hear some "obscure" Tool... Maynard was griping about having to get up on stage and sing about fisting, child abuse, and what not... So sing about about your third eye, or grudges, or abstract religious diatribes, or hell just hum me a nice parabol..... I mean, you don't have to sing all your popular songs...

Psilo
05-03-2010, 02:16 PM
OP is dumb.

Psilo
05-03-2010, 02:16 PM
p.s. anyone know if thats ALL the dates or will there be more released?

usefulidiot227f
05-03-2010, 11:29 PM
I agree with the OP for the most part. Maynard has shown to me as well that he is the weakest part of Tool. I used to think it was Adam, cause while he is very creative, he's not to his instrument what Danny and Justin are to theirs (especially Danny) or (on past albums) what Maynard was to lyrics and vocal performance.
I saw Tool twice during the 10k tour. The only reason I went the second time was because I heard they were throwing in Pushit every other tour, and the one I was going to would have been one of the "others" (the other dates had Right in Two and I didn't wanna hear that shit). Unfortunately no Pushit, but fortunately we got Flood instead. Otherwise the show was somewhat disappointing because it was the same exact show I spent good money to see last time (even if Lateralus played with lasers= orgasm). I don't want nor do I deserve to have Maynard be angry all the time, or go back to drugs to write lyrics. I just want him to be inspired. The only inspiring lyric on 10K was what? Wings for Marie? It just sucked to see him go from dark lyrics like Intolerance, haunting lyrics like H., and thought provoking lyrics like The Grudge to The Pot, Right in Two, and Rosetta Stoned. And to not have him even sing all the great parts in the song is just disheartening. And I don't want to hear the shit of "well he's 40+ now", and "none of his contemporaries can sing or play anymore" because that's crap. The Melvins still do it. Neurosis still does it. Josh Homme isn't in Kyuss but he still sings rather well. It's pretty much that Maynard doesn't give a shit anymore. He'd rather do the wine thing, and do Puscifer. It's great that he's happy, but it's these reasons why I'm so angry at him. 10K was some of the best music the band has put out (minus Adam's solo in Jambi), but IMO the lyrics were terrible. And I wouldn't be surprised if on this next album if Maynard used his keyboard more and incorporate the things he does in Puscifer into Tool. I'd go so far as to say I wouldn't be surprised if he even modulated his voice using computers or a vocoder similarly to what Paul Masvidal did in Cynic, which sounds cool but would ultimately be nothing more then a cheap out for him so he didn't have to put any more effort into the live performances.

Where I disagree is that mini-tours = greed. And maybe it does, but there's nothing ever wrong with a band touring. That they used the same set list was lame, but beyond that I have no reason to be upset that the went on tour. I guess we'll see what the sets are like for the next tour coming up.

And all of what I said is my opinion, I know that. I know there's people that loved 10K and that's great. My points are based on the fact that I didn't when I compared the album to their other work. I would rather listen to Opiate over and over for the running time of 10K then listen to 10K once. But they are still my favorite band, and that's the reason I feel so passionate about wanting them to be what they were to me all these years. Sorry for the long post, but I only post like once every 2 years.

kanaduh
05-04-2010, 03:13 AM
(the other dates had Right in Two and I didn't wanna hear that shit).

The only inspiring lyric on 10K was what? Wings for Marie? It just sucked to see him go from dark lyrics like Intolerance, haunting lyrics like H., and thought provoking lyrics like The Grudge to The Pot, Right in Two, and Rosetta Stoned. And to not have him even sing all the great parts in the song is just disheartening.

I stopped taking you seriously after this.

How on earth anybody can say something like this is beyond me. Right in Two being compared to The Pot and Rosetta in terms of thought provoking lyrics? WTF?

Right in Two is among my favourite Tool songs of all time. Sorry if you didn't want to hear "that shit" with your $65 ticket price.

SilverGrudge
05-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Maybe they feel like fucking touring? Maybe you shouldn't go to a show if you don't agree with the tour? Maybe you should all fuck off and stop crying.

I swear some people on this forum whine and pout about some of the craziest shit.
NOW RESPOND TO THIS!

Wolverine
05-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Where is the presale for the Houston show going to be? Ticketmaster, Livenation site?

usefulidiot227f
05-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I stopped taking you seriously after this.

How on earth anybody can say something like this is beyond me. Right in Two being compared to The Pot and Rosetta in terms of thought provoking lyrics? WTF?

Right in Two is among my favourite Tool songs of all time. Sorry if you didn't want to hear "that shit" with your $65 ticket price.

Sorry, it just didn't do it for me. I would have expected a song like that maybe on APC's last album (which in my opinion was pretty bad save for a few tracks), minus the music because musically I think it's pretty good. The solo by Carey is very different and refreshing in that it's still not THE solo that we all want to hear from him but it showcases how creative he is.
Just lyrically. I mean singing about "angels on the sideline" wondering about why we monkeys are wasting God's gifts isn't something I expect to hear from a man who used to mock God.

And it's not just about being thought provoking. It's just that it's so clean cut.
You can pretty much break all Tool songs into 2 categories: Blatant FU's to specific people (eg Hooker w/a Penis, Ticks and Leeches, Hush, Jerk Off, etc.), and songs with some type of cryptic message whether it be talking about things most people don't know about (forty-six&2, The Grudge), or using innuendo or metaphors (stinkfist, H., Undertow, etc.). I guess there's segues too haha. Right in Two was just about people fighting instead of loving. And it sort of injected religion into a band that used to openly reject it. Yes he broke the mold, but he did so by being less inspiring.

All I'm saying is the songs on 10K failed to inspire me like their other albums did, and I blame that on Maynard seemingly not being inspired himself. I feel like that translated into their performances where he largely just phoned it in. And I was not as happy the 2nd time I saw them because of this.

nusense
05-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Holy Jesus.

Right in Two ISN'T about religion. Go read more books.

"God" doesn't = "Religion"

That's a start. You finish.

Cheesegreater
05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I have to agree with that. I think Maynard's never strayed from the eloquent use of metaphors. Wings I and II could be looked at as a metaphor for someone staying true to what they believe in and in turn receiving their just rewards, whatever their belief may be.

To disregard god, spirituality, and sometimes even religion completely in a literary sense can be quite limiting. It is after all, such a familiar thing to base analogies and anecdotal stories off of, and one doesn't have to believe in the stories to at least provide context.

Vincent_Alan
05-09-2010, 07:24 AM
I think someone on the first page nailed it when s/he asserted Elton here is creating an idealized fiction of what he thinks tool is and should be. I haven't really noticed this selling out, and in fact I am really stoked on how they haven't. They are one of the most successful bands EVER and they've very much remained who they are. They could have Tool cereal and action figures and decoder rings and still be awesome, but they don't.

And if your evidence is that they kinda sorta showed themselves on the 10,000 Days album, then .... well, that is freakin' stupid. Someone said it already, but ever see the Hush video. And OMG you also saw them in Sober.

Oh well, chill brother! \m/

Lateralareallofus
05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
most supposed fans will cry when i say this..but i hope the next album has songs that sound like wings I and II, The Pot, Jambi, and Right in Two. I love Undertow and all of Tool's albums but how can you not love 10000 days. Tool is growing up and evolving. where they once were full of hatred, guilt and anger, they are filling the gap with compassion, strength, and fidelity to themselves. Tool is growing up. you should too.

damnfool
05-10-2010, 08:24 PM
I love the whole 10k days album. The way the music takes you somewhere and just changes speeding up slowing down its like a fucking rollercoaster how can you not enjoy it.

SKEvil
05-11-2010, 01:10 AM
The community is divided right in two?

I see what you did thar.

cain313
05-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Wow .. It seems that a few people in this thread have completely missed one of the main messages that this band encourages.. evolution.

Lateralareallofus kinda hit it on the head.. they've grown, lived, and evolved.

Though I have completely lost count of how many shows I've seen since my first was in 1994 and the novelty of keeping track wore off at the turn of the century, I am appreciative that they still tour, play the songs they do, put thought into their art and don't just slam out an album like all the other crap that pawns itself off as music these days. If you don't get the direction that the music may be heading.. you're just not ready yet.

So by all means, please don't waste your 65 bucks on experiencing the same songs live again. Your true fan presence may be missed, however your not being there may allow some newbies to experience the feeling of a Tool show. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

It's sad that some fans just aren't happy unless their favorite band is living the cliched, tortured rock star life...

soreal
05-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Wow .. It seems that a few people in this thread have completely missed one of the main messages that this band encourages.. evolution.

Though I have completely lost count of how many shows I've seen since my first was in 1994 and the novelty of keeping track wore off at the turn of the century, I am appreciative that they still tour, play the songs they do, put thought into their art and don't just slam out an album like all the other crap that pawns itself off as music these days. If you don't get the direction that the music may be heading.. you're just not ready yet.

So by all means, please don't waste your 65 bucks on experiencing the same songs live again. Your true fan presence may be missed, however your not being there may allow some newbies to experience the feeling of a Tool show. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

It's sad that some fans just aren't happy unless their favorite band is living the cliched, tortured rock star life...

great post.

i wrote out a few paragraphs but deleted them. TOOL owns, no matter what. that was gonna be my point.

InertUniformity
05-12-2010, 09:54 AM

IS one of the main messages that Tool encourages "evolution"? I think I know what you mean but in this context I'd want some clarification. It would be absurd to say that the band encourages ppl to "evolve" thats kind of impossible and highly condescending from their standpoint. I don't think Tool ever asks anything from us fans except for our $$$. That may sound pessimistic but it really isnt.

Artistically though I think you have a point. It seems that the band is dedicated to challenging themselves and pushing the envelope from album to album. I think thats exactly why ppl are expecting so much from them this time around. A lot of people already have a vision (albiet an unwarrented one) of what the next "step" in the bands evolution will be.

As far as live shows are concerned, you have to think that changing up the line-up a bit, maybe experimenting with some new tunes would be something the band might be willing to do. I think anybody that EXPECTS that is in the wrong, however its perfectly fine to speculate and hope.

10,000 Days as an album was great, but dissapointed some folks around here. The subsequent tours were also great insofar as the band playing on stage was Tool. The type-cast playlist got old to some people and I think that is to be expected.

elusivEuphoria
05-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Just gonna jump in here real quick on the OP...

TooL is slowly becomming watered down and it just pisses me off. From them showing their faces on the 10kdays CD to...

Don't forget the video for Hush, and the opening to the Sober video. The linear notes for Undertow and Aenima showed pictures of the band, I believe Salival as well... Tool showed their faces plenty even when they were starting out. They did lots of interviews too, not many that were aired in the US... but they did them. And now with the advent of YouTube and the internet in general, all of those are now available to anyone.

But as far as this tour is concerned..... meh. I'd say we really have no reason to cast judgement on the band for this move (ill get flamed for this, im sure). Perhaps there are multiple reasons why they chose to do another tour. Perhaps they decided they'd be "nice" and would do a short 4 week tour and hit some cities that didn't get a close show last summer (although, I have to be honest and ask, Why not a euro or aussie tour?? They're farther...). Perhaps with the economy the way it's been, maybe ALL the members of the band could use a little bit of cash to keep their own projects afloat. Maybe in addition to that, they could use some money to pay for costs of recording the next record, or even purchasing new items/instruments that they wish to use in WRITING the next record. (many have suggested this). Maybe they wish to write on the road as well. Maybe they DO have something new in store for this tour... maybe a new cover. Maybe they have secretly been preparing some pro-shot video from last summers tour and plan to do it with this tour as well to go toward a Live DVD.

My point is, there could be a whole host of reasons why the band (as a WHOLE, mind you) decided to tour this summer outside of "Maynard needs more money for his wine" or "They are just sticking it to us", and it's pretty easy for even the moderately devoted fan to get fed up and impatient with a group that as ALWAYS described themselves has "selfish". It's always been about what the 4 of them want to do, and what they feel is right.

InertUniformity
05-12-2010, 11:35 AM
My point is, there could be a whole host of reasons why the band (as a WHOLE, mind you) decided to tour this summer outside of "Maynard needs more money for his wine" or "They are just sticking it to us", and it's pretty easy for even the moderately devoted fan to get fed up and impatient with a group that as ALWAYS described themselves has "selfish". It's always been about what the 4 of them want to do, and what they feel is right.

Good point. Speculating as to why the band is touring will only lead us to tail-chasing at this point. Still though, if you think about it the decision to tour this summer is really suprising and I am definitely interested to see how it will play out.

I have to doubt that the band is struggling that much financially though - certainly not enough that they need to raise money to buy instruments or fund their next recording process. That is the kind of stuff that small, up-and-coming groups have to go through. Tool puts out products that can sell in just about any economy. I would bet that they are all doing fine.

Some bands don't even like touring that much - particularly those groups who are more focused on the creative/recording part of the music rather than the performance aspect. I don't know where Tool stands on this issue - but I just feel that we can rule out that the band just wanted to be "nice" and do us a favor by touring in the US.

I'm in agreement with the folks who are saying we - as fans - should just take it for what it is. Still, as futile as it is, its fun to speculate about this kind of thing. My guess is the band is touring in order to warm up and will begin writing the next album sometime in September. I highly doubt we will hear a single new song - if any even exist at this time - but I would be shocked if the playlist was the same.

elusivEuphoria
05-12-2010, 11:52 AM
I have to doubt that the band is struggling that much financially though - certainly not enough that they need to raise money to buy instruments or fund their next recording process. That is the kind of stuff that small, up-and-coming groups have to go through. Tool puts out products that can sell in just about any economy. I would bet that they are all doing fine.

I'm sure they are doing fine too... but Adam's tenancy to try to get his hands on rare, one-of-a-kind effects units, and Danny's supposed trips to rain forests to collect sound samples for his mandala pads, his new giant gong... there was also a picture of him a WHILE back playing a DC stick... those types of things don't come cheap. I'm sure they are doing fine, but I wouldn't doubt that their musical indulgences are pricey and they might be planning to indulge further on this album.

Again, all I'm really saying is... "Who knows? We'll see." sorta thing.

:-/

slamminsalmon
05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
im hoping they try a little new material, or even bring back new renditions of older songs. i think its a warm up for their new album.

be happy, atleast you can see them if you choose to do so. one day you will never get to see them play again.

InertUniformity
05-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Good point slamminsalmon.

One day in our lifetime Tool will play their last show ever. For some reason I don't really consider that. It makes you appreciate just hearing them play. There aren't very many rock bands from that era left that can fill arenas. Also there arent many bands that push the envelope like Tool but still put out great, generally accessable music. You have to think the band is closer to the end at this point. I just got sad.

Shizume
05-14-2010, 11:01 PM
hm. I'd love to see this. but...I think I will probably be dead by then or someone/something else in another life. as will the band and you. unless you have some kind of supernatural mystical powers.

This post, though way back there along with the post it was aimed towards, made me smile for some odd reason.

You have to think the band is closer to the end at this point. I just got sad.

I just got sad as well.

I read through this whole thread and many things here make me sad. Mostly the things relating directly to Maynard.

I don't see why anyone would want anyone to be the same person over the span of many years just so you can give them a congratulatory pat on the shoulder for staying stuck in one particular frame of mind.

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm female and maybe it's because I adore Maynard as a person and respect what he does, no matter what it is. I appreciate his lyrics and vocals so much because at so many different points in my life, I have only been able to cope with things by listening to his voice. Music is extremely important to me and I have found comfort, inspiration and just plain old peace of mind by sitting in a dark corner and listening to him sing. Whether through Tool, A Perfect Circle or Puscifer.

That said, I am very excited to be able to see Tool live again this year at the Toyota Center. I bought a ticket last year for the San Antonio show, but couldn't get a ride to the Greyhound Station, so I was really bummed about that.

If they ever do announce a final tour, I want to make sure that I'm there to see them one last time.

elusivEuphoria
05-15-2010, 04:41 AM
You guys seem to be forgetting that Maynard (of all people) has been quoted in saying that the band will continue making music together until one of them dies. Tool isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Part of me just hopes the band re-invents itself in the next few projects they embark upon. Opiate to Lateralus had excellent creative focus and execution, however while I personally love 10,000 Days, I'd tend to agree that it was a bit of evidence that that particular emotional path has begun to run out of gas. The band still has great potential, no doubt. I don't think there is any reason to be anything but excited about what could come from the band, either in this next album... or in the albums and projects to come. Besides, they seem to have been fairly self-aware in everything they do... so I'll remain confident that Tool still has some mind-blowing works on the horizon. They just need to find a new creative path that they are all happy to walk down.

... hopefully some more instrumental tracks too ...

PM to Adam Jones: Please follow through on the "band movie" idea. Don't let it get mixed up in the pile with the Live DVD.

Watching and mentioning
05-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Would anyone else find it funny if the OP was Maynard just trying to get a rouse out of the fans?

elusivEuphoria
05-15-2010, 02:20 PM
... trying to get a rouse out of the fans?

A what?

Would anyone else find it funny if the OP was Maynard ...

Yes.

Watching and mentioning
05-15-2010, 02:22 PM
A what?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rouse

I think i used it in the wrong context, kinda tired.

elusivEuphoria
05-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I believe context you were searching for, O' Tired One, was something along the lines of "trying to rouse the fans", or "get a rise out of the fans". Either way, no harm no foul. It just read funny and confused me.

Now I'm roused!

withSpirit
05-15-2010, 07:12 PM
The only person who you could argue has sold out would be Maynard. However, it's funny that you say that because Maynard addressed this in a radio interview late last year, which is on Youtube somewhere. I'll quote as best I can remember (capital letters are words I know he emphasized):

"Since I've begun doing Puscifer and following my dream of making wine, a lot of Tool fans have been saying things like, 'Oh, Maynard finally sold out' or 'Maynard is just doing that bullshit for the money,' but I don't understand...I mean, WHAT MONEY? There's no money in Puscifer. There's no money in making my own wine. It's just FUN. The real money comes from being on tour with Tool. If I was selling out or only interested in making money, I would be touring with Tool a lot more."

I personally enjoy Puscifer, and I've tried his wine (it's good, and I've tried a lot of wines over the years). I don't think that has anything to do with him selling out. The only argument you might have is this summer tour, but I don't think that qualifies as selling out either. I think its purpose is most likely to energize the fans for a new album next year, and probably to cover some recording costs, and that's fine. I also don't care what Maynard wears when he sings for Tool (and the fact that you do is pretty stupid). However, I do agree that when Maynard is on tour with Tool, he should focus more on what he's doing. He should sing on key, he should sing clearly, he should sing with precision, and he should remember lyrics.

Other than Maynard though, you can't say anybody else in the band has "sold out," and I therefore don't think you can say the band has sold out.

livid star
05-15-2010, 07:24 PM
I am one of those that feels I must be at every show(within 5 hours distance!). I do not give a fuck why they are touring. I give a shit if I can get tickets at face value.

If you want to attack the band, give them hell for a valid cause. I feel they should do more to make sure tickets get in to the hands of their fans.

ANOTHER PM TO JONESY: PUSHIT!

InertUniformity
05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
You guys seem to be forgetting that Maynard (of all people) has been quoted in saying that the band will continue making music together until one of them dies. Tool isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Part of me just hopes the band re-invents itself in the next few projects they embark upon. Opiate to Lateralus had excellent creative focus and execution, however while I personally love 10,000 Days, I'd tend to agree that it was a bit of evidence that that particular emotional path has begun to run out of gas. The band still has great potential, no doubt. I don't think there is any reason to be anything but excited about what could come from the band, either in this next album... or in the albums and projects to come. Besides, they seem to have been fairly self-aware in everything they do... so I'll remain confident that Tool still has some mind-blowing works on the horizon. They just need to find a new creative path that they are all happy to walk down.

... hopefully some more instrumental tracks too ...

PM to Adam Jones: Please follow through on the "band movie" idea. Don't let it get mixed up in the pile with the Live DVD.

Well, I actually agree I don't think the band will stop making music any time soon - I just think that the days when Tool can go out and produce a song like 46&2 or Eulogy are over. I think this is understandable because the band has changed a lot over the years but its a sad realization. 10,000 Days is a pretty good album but a step down from Lateralus IMO. This is the trajectory:

Undertow: Very Good album, lots of potential
Aenima: Excellent album, numerous epic tracks, potential met
Lateralus: Extraordinary production, band raises the standard set by Aenima somehow
10,000 Days: Very Good album, a little less cohesive than Lateralus

So now what? The simple fact is that the band raised the standard going from Aenima to Lateralus. It didnt seem possible but they did it. For me 10,000 Days is exactly as entertaining as Undertow.

elusivEuphoria
05-17-2010, 10:57 AM
I fully agree with that, but only in the sense of the album(s) as a whole. Strictly standing songs on their own and looking at the level of detail in the composition in each piece, I think the songs on 10,000 Days are just as strong as the ones on Lateralus, if not stronger.

nusense
05-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Agreed. Taken on their own, the tracks on 10,000 Days show a very definite evolution and step forwards in complexity and songwriting.

I think the loooong nature of some of the songs, and more varied lyrical content, contributed to the overall "lack of cohesiveness," at least compare to Lateralus.

Despite preferring Lateralus as an overall album, 10,000 Days did nothing but create more optimism for me as far as their long-term capabilities.

I only pray that they decide to go full-on concept album at some point. Or more to the point, create something like Pink Floyd's Darkside or Animals where the album really needs to be taken as a whole and not broken up into smaller chunks. More suites/recurring motifs and themes.

anarcho-commie
05-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Well said.

withSpirit
05-17-2010, 05:56 PM
...I just think that the days when Tool can go out and produce a song like 46&2 or Eulogy are over. I think this is understandable because the band has changed a lot over the years but its a sad realization.

Wait...what? I'm incredibly THANKFUL that Tool no longer writes songs like Eulogy...or Stinkfist...or ANYTHING on the Undertow album (which is mediocre at best). It is the past two albums that have solidified them as my favorite band.

The fact is, the musicianship in those songs I mentioned is not that good, even if you enjoy them a lot. Compared to the musicianship and song writing displayed on Lateralus and 10,000 Days, Undertow is an absolute joke, and songs like Eulogy and Stinkfist I feel don't even belong on a Tool album. I'm thankful that Tool no longer writes songs like that, because it means that they are MUCH BETTER now. I became a Tool fan during the Aenima era. I went back and listened to Undertow a couple of times, and I own the album, but it's not Tool. Yes, they still occasionally play one or two songs from it live, but that Tool is long long gone.

10,000 Days for me, as a musician, is the best album yet, and Lateralus is a close second. Aenima is reasonably good, but I don't even consider Undertow or Opiate to be Tool music...they are both incredibly mediocre, if even that.

I personally love the direction Tool is heading. 10,000 Days is in no way comparable to Undertow other than the aggressive tone of the music. The song writing and lyrical content is WORLDS better than Undertow. I can't describe how happy I am that they have moved away from the Undertow sound. They have only ever improved. Undertow was so bad, especially compared to Lateralus and 10,000 Days, I don't see how you can be sad about the way Tool has changed.

withSpirit
05-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I fully agree with that, but only in the sense of the album(s) as a whole. Strictly standing songs on their own and looking at the level of detail in the composition in each piece, I think the songs on 10,000 Days are just as strong as the ones on Lateralus, if not stronger.

Absolutely true. The only thing 10,000 Days doesn't have is as much of a flow as Lateralus had. But I think this is only the case going between Jambi and Wings for Marie, and then from !0,000 Days to The Pot. Vicarious to Jambi is a fine transition, and then beginning with The Pot, the rest of the album flows like one very dynamic piece (especially Lost Keys>Rosetta Stoned>Intension>Right in Two).

Yes, the transition on either side of Wings/10k Days could have been better, but the song writing makes up for it in my opinion. Lateralus and 10,000 Days display musicianship that the previous albums don't even come close to matching.

TheDude420
05-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Wait...what? I'm incredibly THANKFUL that Tool no longer writes songs like Eulogy...or Stinkfist...or ANYTHING on the Undertow album (which is mediocre at best). It is the past two albums that have solidified them as my favorite band.

The fact is, the musicianship in those songs I mentioned is not that good, even if you enjoy them a lot.

THE FACT?? Really, the FACT? Thats just like your opinion, man.

Seriously i doubt you have any grounds to be spouting facts man. Thats comparing apples to oranges; different band member, nearly 20 years, and complete different attitudes. So that statement is completely asinine and without merit.

Furthermore, after reading the rest of your post again, the rest of it is garbage as well. You sir, are out of your element.

withSpirit
05-17-2010, 10:31 PM
THE FACT?? Really, the FACT? Thats just like your opinion, man.

Seriously i doubt you have any grounds to be spouting facts man. Thats comparing apples to oranges; different band member, nearly 20 years, and complete different attitudes. So that statement is completely asinine and without merit.

Furthermore, after reading the rest of your post again, the rest of it is garbage as well. You sir, are out of your element.

I'm not speaking about whether, in my opinion, I LIKE the new music more or not (I do, but that's beside the point). The newer music is objectively more complex, more painstakingly thought out, more difficult to reproduce live, and yet they continue to do it nearly flawlessly. They have improved as musicians in that sense, they want to keep challenging themselves, and as a result they have pushed musical boundaries more and more with each album. You might not like it, but I personally love the result. I don't have any nostalgia for Undertow because from a musician's perspective, there wasn't much to "sink my teeth into," as Danny Carey would say. With each album, they have only become MORE my favorite band. There is nothing I miss, because I know that everything they make in the future will only be more musically sophisticated than what they've already made. I don't see why the band's improving and taking a much more progressive approach than Undertow makes you sad.

TheDude420
05-18-2010, 03:59 AM
I'm not speaking about whether, in my opinion, I LIKE the new music more or not (I do, but that's beside the point). The newer music is objectively more complex, more painstakingly thought out, more difficult to reproduce live, and yet they continue to do it nearly flawlessly. They have improved as musicians in that sense, they want to keep challenging themselves, and as a result they have pushed musical boundaries more and more with each album. You might not like it, but I personally love the result. I don't have any nostalgia for Undertow because from a musician's perspective, there wasn't much to "sink my teeth into," as Danny Carey would say. With each album, they have only become MORE my favorite band. There is nothing I miss, because I know that everything they make in the future will only be more musically sophisticated than what they've already made. I don't see why the band's improving and taking a much more progressive approach than Undertow makes you sad.

i understand what you're saying here, but starting out a sentence with 'Fact is" is really out of your jurisdiction, unless of course you had a hand in writing the music. It may be more complex far as song structure, but im pretty sure a good bit of thought went into undertow and opiate. Just because the songs arent upwards of 10 min in length doesnt mean they skimped on the content, or that the songs are any less thoughtful. They have certainly evolved, and whether they have improved the leaps and bounds you profess is subjective, not fact.

Not trying to start a pissing contest here, no harm no foul.

elusivEuphoria
05-18-2010, 04:39 AM
Absolutely true. The only thing 10,000 Days doesn't have is as much of a flow as Lateralus had. But I think this is only the case going between Jambi and Wings for Marie, and then from !0,000 Days to The Pot. Vicarious to Jambi is a fine transition, and then beginning with The Pot, the rest of the album flows like one very dynamic piece (especially Lost Keys>Rosetta Stoned>Intension>Right in Two).

Yes, the transition on either side of Wings/10k Days could have been better, but the song writing makes up for it in my opinion. Lateralus and 10,000 Days display musicianship that the previous albums don't even come close to matching.

I've recently tried moving Wings/Days to after Right in Two and before Viginti Tres. I read somewhere on here that the voice on VT is saying "Asisco" (if my spelling is correct) which apparently is latin for ascent. If so it could be about the "acsent of the spirit". Once I started listening to VT in this way, possibly directly related to Wings/Days, it totally changed my perspective on that track. And after all the talk of "lack of flow" on 10kdays, I've noticed the album is a little more powerful in that order... although, entirely backloaded with the huge, multi-part tracks.

withSpirit
05-18-2010, 01:51 PM
I've recently tried moving Wings/Days to after Right in Two and before Viginti Tres. I read somewhere on here that the voice on VT is saying "Asisco" (if my spelling is correct) which apparently is latin for ascent. If so it could be about the "acsent of the spirit". Once I started listening to VT in this way, possibly directly related to Wings/Days, it totally changed my perspective on that track. And after all the talk of "lack of flow" on 10kdays, I've noticed the album is a little more powerful in that order... although, entirely backloaded with the huge, multi-part tracks.

I think that's actually the way it was originally put together, according to an interview I read a while back. Then Tool decided it didn't flow as well and moved it to between Jambi and The Pot. It does kind of backload the album with the long tracks...maybe they thought so too. It think that could have worked if they had given Vicarious and Jambi a little more connectivity by linking them together somehow. Oh well.

new millenium cyanide christ
05-18-2010, 02:00 PM
withspirit, i totally understand, and *somewhat* agree with what you say...

however, bashing undertow is not very bright. give the title track undertow a listen and get back to us...

withSpirit
05-18-2010, 05:05 PM
withspirit, i totally understand, and *somewhat* agree with what you say...

however, bashing undertow is not very bright. give the title track undertow a listen and get back to us...

I've heard it many times...what about it?

Go listen to Undertow. Now listen to Rosetta Stoned. There's just no comparison. Undertow is way better than most modern music, but compared to Tool's more current music, it's just...bad, boring, unsophisticated. It's nowhere close even being in the same league as far as complexity and musicianship in general. I'm not saying complexity makes music good, but the newer songs objectively contain more complex and difficult songwriting techniques. They are much more progressive in every sense of the word. I also think they're more emotional, and the lyrics blow the older music out of the water.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to like Undertow more either, but I definitely don't for the reasons I've given in this thread.

elusivEuphoria
05-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Definitely a matter of opinion/personal taste.

05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
I've heard it many times...what about it?

Go listen to Undertow. Now listen to Rosetta Stoned. There's just no comparison. Undertow is way better than most modern music, but compared to Tool's more current music, it's just...bad, boring, unsophisticated. It's nowhere close even being in the same league as far as complexity and musicianship in general. I'm not saying complexity makes music good, but the newer songs objectively contain more complex and difficult songwriting techniques. They are much more progressive in every sense of the word. I also think they're more emotional, and the lyrics blow the older music out of the water.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to like Undertow more either, but I definitely don't for the reasons I've given in this thread.

i dont like undertow "more". i'm sort of playing devils advocate.

i absolutely love rosetta stoned, its brilliant.

this arguement can go on forever. i mean, lets take intension. its definitely not a "complex" song at all, its very subtle and very simple. yet, its very powerful, and its one of my favorite off 10000 days.

its not really a matter of comparing the agressive nature of undertow with a song like intension. obviously, they are worlds apart when measuring similiarities.

it's a matter of seeing how much they have grown spiritually, musically, and emotionally.

godhenry
05-18-2010, 10:43 PM
The thread title isnt implying Tool needs an album to tour. The reason Elton titled the thread that way is because Tool have been using the same process for about a decade now. They release an epic album, base the tours theme off the vibe of the new album and tour the shit out of the planet for 2 years. Then 3 years pass and they release another album, and so on.

When they announced this tour, a lot of us hoped that would mean different songs than what they just finished playing 300 or so times.

First, and with all due respect, your first paragraph is factually wrong.

Second, your logic is inconsistent. On the one hand, you and others who have similarly opined argue TOOL is stale because they're playing the same set. On the other hand, you and the others maintain TOOL should stick to their decade-old routine by not touring unless they release an epic album. So do you want TOOL to stick to their routine or not???

The_Maestro
05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
If they play that same fucking set that I've seen the last THREE shows in a row, I'm going to sell my ticket.

elusivEuphoria
05-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm curious to see what Blair's May newsletter says with regard to this tour, and the writing process for the next album. I must be crazy but, the last two have been a little more revealing than most, I guess I'm just hoping he'll shed some light on the questions every Tool fan is asking.

"Will there be anything new on this tour?"
"Will the band continue to write on the road?"
"What is the mood going on in the rehearsal space?"
"Can we expect serious progress on the album after this tour is up?"
"Perhaps a release before the year is out?"
"Should I have myself checked into an mental institution?"

elusivEuphoria
05-19-2010, 10:03 AM
I think that's actually the way it was originally put together, according to an interview I read a while back. Then Tool decided it didn't flow as well and moved it to between Jambi and The Pot. It does kind of backload the album with the long tracks...maybe they thought so too. It think that could have worked if they had given Vicarious and Jambi a little more connectivity by linking them together somehow. Oh well.

The hardest part I've experienced in listening to the album in that revised order is training myself to expect more music after Right in Two. I've always felt like that track was an excellent closer. Something about the overall mood of that track and how it ends... just seems so final.

withSpirit
05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
The hardest part I've experienced in listening to the album in that revised order is training myself to expect more music after Right in Two. I've always felt like that track was an excellent closer. Something about the overall mood of that track and how it ends... just seems so final.

I agree. I never even thought adding Virginti Tres was necessary.

elusivEuphoria
05-19-2010, 02:22 PM
I often listen to albums on repeat, and aside from the "ascent of the spirit" interp of Viginti Tres, I like the track, even if it's for nothing more than a breather before starting back up on Vicarious.

Elton John
05-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Ok, this is turning into something silly because most of you seem to lack the cognitive prowess to stay on topic when it is dealing with subject matter that makes you question your idols (tool).

No one on my side of the argument is for the band repeating themselves over and over and making Aenima 2.0, 3.0 etc etc. So this idea that we are against the "evolution" of the band is laughable at best and embarrassing for those who have claimed this.

I made this thread in the beginning of 2009 and was dissapointed that tool was going to do a summer tour with the EXACT same setlist and EXACT same stage setup as they did all through 2006-2008.

If repeating the same songs and touring with the same stage setup for half a decade is your idea of "evolution" I think you should go back and read what the word actually means because what tool are doing is the polar opposite of evolving in their live act.

And here is the main point, the bottom line that none of you want to hear. Maynard cant sing anymore. The band is forced to play songs that he can barely pull off live, it would be painful to watch maynard try to sing any of his more vocally challenging songs. Once again, this is not my opinion... this is objective truth.

So all of you knuckledragging troglodytes who are wishing for an obscure setlist after i was proved right in 2009 and will be again this summer tour...why dont you start wishing in 1 hand and shitting in the other and see which one fills up the fastest. =)

nusense
05-20-2010, 11:53 AM
I made this thread in the beginning of 2009 and was dissapointed that tool was going to do a summer tour with the EXACT same setlist and EXACT same stage setup as they did all through 2006-2008.

Well, the stage actually has changed a good bit each time out. The 2006 set up was pretty vastly different from the 2007 and 2009 tours. Unless having screens behind them and floor projections automatically = "exact same." Which of course, it doesn't.

Not an earth-shattering change, but it DOES make you sound an utter twat when you proclaim things like the above.

And here is the main point, the bottom line that none of you want to hear. Maynard cant sing anymore. The band is forced to play songs that he can barely pull off live, it would be painful to watch maynard try to sing any of his more vocally challenging songs. Once again, this is not my opinion... this is objective truth.

Oh right. Well since it's "objective truth," then I suppose you can link us all to this amazing tell all interview where this was revealed? Because I'm sure the only way you know this isn't through bitter fanwanking and hearsay. Right? Right?

(ETA: This complaint is even more laughable when you listen to recordings of The Pot from these tours. When he's not sick (which is rare), he can still belt out screams like he always has. Not with the same frequency that he used to, but who can? Answer: no one. Unless they just sound like shit live to begin with. And honestly, in many ways I'd say his voice has improved over the years. His tone isn't quite as high/nasally as it used to be.)

nusense
05-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Here, let me show you what "objective truth" is: you are an ignorant asshole.

There. It's objective, and it's true.

SilverGrudge
05-20-2010, 02:27 PM
his voice during the puscifer shows was very impressive. during the houston show (which was flawless) he belted out a few screams and yells that gave me fucking goosebumps. I understand the delivery and demand of his voice is different between the two bands, but the ol' man still has it and he's not afraid to use it (especially on nights when the stars line up perfectly and the area isn't filled with smoke).

TheDude420
05-20-2010, 02:31 PM
his voice during the puscifer shows was very impressive. during the houston show (which was flawless) he belted out a few screams and yells that gave me fucking goosebumps. I understand the delivery and demand of his voice is different between the two bands, but the ol' man still has it and he's not afraid to use it (especially on nights when the stars line up perfectly and the area isn't filled with smoke).

the whole 'smoke hurts my sensitive cunt' deal is getting old

nusense
05-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Show of hands: who here has sang intensively for 2 hours in a smokey environment? Anyone?

You know, he's far from the only singer who feels that way and asks that of his audience.

fearandloathing
05-20-2010, 03:14 PM
If repeating the same songs and touring with the same stage setup for half a decade is your idea of "evolution" I think you should go back and read what the word actually means because what tool are doing is the polar opposite of evolving in their live act.

to my understanding, evolution is a biological process consisting of small changes over a (usually very long) period of time. i think this accurately describes what tool is doing.

as mentioned before, in puscifer he has belted out awesome screams in several cities. and during last tool tour in dallas during rosetta stoned he let out a scream better than the album version.

i fully expect the same setlist and frankly dont give a shit that it is the same.

please forgive me for thinking your full of shit.

TheDude420
05-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Show of hands: who here has sang intensively for 2 hours in a smokey environment? Anyone?

You know, he's far from the only singer who feels that way and asks that of his audience.

are you his personal cheerleader??

im just saying just because you ask people not to do something, you shouldnt be so disillusioned to think they will listen regardless of who you are, ESPECIALLY at a concert.

withSpirit
05-20-2010, 08:04 PM
the whole 'smoke hurts my sensitive cunt' deal is getting old

How hard is it not to smoke for 2 hours?

elusivEuphoria
05-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Ok, this is turning into something silly because most of you seem to lack the cognitive prowess to stay on topic when it is dealing with subject matter that makes you question your idols (tool).

Oh for fuck sake, pull your head out of your ass and look at where you are. When as anyone ever stayed on topic here? I'm usually pretty forgiving, but you sir, are an asshole.

False. Plain and simple. Seeing/Hearing is believing. I (and many others) saw him in Chicago 2 months ago for the Puscifer shows. Both nights he sang flawlessly, hit the high notes and belted out the screams. The jaw dropping screams that everyone is talking about came from the live version of Undertaker they were performing. Make no mistake, They fucking rocked. And they did it night after night after night.

I agree Maynard's performance with Tool over the past 3 years has lacked the zest it once had. But he's still swung par for the course. So forgive us if some of us choose to be optimistic that Maynard has been slightly reinvigorated as of late.

So all of you knuckledragging troglodytes who are wishing for an obscure setlist after i was proved right in 2009 and will be again this summer tour...why dont you start wishing in 1 hand and shitting in the other and see which one fills up the fastest. =)

Thank you for your wonderful foresight and overwhelming pessimism, but this is still an open forum for people to discuss their own opinions so please drop the high and mighty act.

fearandloathing
05-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I just listened to a live version of flood that is about 1 1/2 minutes long and maynard sounded better than he ever did on the 10kdays tour. Maybe there is hope for his voice.

you seem to be contradicting yourself a bit.

livid star
05-20-2010, 09:49 PM
I agree Maynard's performance with Tool over the past 3 years has lacked the zest it once had. But he's still swung par for the course. So forgive us if some of us choose to be optimistic that Maynard has been slightly reinvigorated as of late.

Thank you for your wonderful foresight and overwhelming pessimism, but this is still an open forum for people to discuss their own opinions so please drop the high and mighty act.

END OF ARGUMENT, BITCHES.

I echo this person's sentiment. I am getting sooo pumped up for the two night trip that I have planned to see my favorite band.

I do not follow Maynard's other ventures. Same applies to the other members, with the exception of Butcher. I solely love Tool. Not sure why that came out, (whatevs)----
----

I was not aware that Maynard was recently touring with Puscifer, so to read that Tool fans have reported that his voice is not shot, like I MY SELF HAVE STATED ON THIS FORUM. Well, that just puts cheese in my taco, if ya know what I mean..

Let's agree that his place in Tool exhausts his instrument more signifcantly than the others'. However, let that not be the sole focus. Personally, I admire the shit out of Tool (more so for Adam's contributions) and I know that as a WHOLE, they're going to rock my fucking socks off.
Yes, even if Maynard doesn't sing like on the album.

Agghh... An argument that can never be won?!

nusense
05-21-2010, 05:26 AM
are you his personal cheerleader??

Yes.

elusivEuphoria
05-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes.

LOL funny thing is, i was almost going to quote that and say "No, I AM"

Elton John
05-29-2010, 04:40 PM
you seem to be contradicting yourself a bit.

Contradicting myself because i was honest and thought he had 1 good sounding scream in 2009? So because he sings very poorly 99% of the time on 99% of the songs...1 scream he performs well = Me contradicting myself?

You need to stick with flipping burgers, this thinking thing is not going to ever be within your realm of expertise i am afraid =/

ddaddy
05-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Contradicting myself because i was honest and thought he had 1 good sounding scream in 2009? So because he sings very poorly 99% of the time on 99% of the songs...1 scream he performs well = Me contradicting myself?

You need to stick with flipping burgers, this thinking thing is not going to ever be within your realm of expertise i am afraid =/

i was at that dallas show and from where i was standing maynard sounded bad ass through the whole show. thats my opinion of course. im not trying to stir up anything. i just personally think its a little much to say that he sings poorly now. again this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. do you feel that he sings off key or something? i sincerely am curious why you feel that way cause they blow me away everytime i see them.

TOOLwrench
05-29-2010, 11:13 PM
hmm........i think this is a SUPER long extension of the 10,000 days tour hehehehehe

Elton John
05-30-2010, 04:04 PM
i was at that dallas show and from where i was standing maynard sounded bad ass through the whole show. thats my opinion of course. im not trying to stir up anything. i just personally think its a little much to say that he sings poorly now. again this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. do you feel that he sings off key or something? i sincerely am curious why you feel that way cause they blow me away everytime i see them.

His tone, pitch, key, delivery, power, control, scream, vibrato are all lackluster and pale in comparison to his voice anywhere from 1992-2001.

All you have to do is watch ANY live video of a song from 2006-2009 and then watch that exact same live song anywhere from 1992-2001 and you will see the quality of maynard's voice is night and day difference. You do not have to be a skilled singer, like myself, to hear this. I have a group of atleast 20+ hardcore tool fans, some with no musical experience and some with an abundance and we all agree on this.

Unless you are just a tool fanboy and hold your live music experience up to no standards, you will see exactly what i am saying.

Once again, i challenge any of you to post a live video of any song that can be compared to one played in the earlier days and say with a straight face that maynard still sounds as good.

Maybe some of you are just tone deaf and as long as the entire structure of the song isn't out of whack, it sounds awesome to you?

ddaddy
05-30-2010, 05:20 PM
His tone, pitch, key, delivery, power, control, scream, vibrato are all lackluster and pale in comparison to his voice anywhere from 1992-2001.

All you have to do is watch ANY live video of a song from 2006-2009 and then watch that exact same live song anywhere from 1992-2001 and you will see the quality of maynard's voice is night and day difference. You do not have to be a skilled singer, like myself, to hear this. I have a group of atleast 20+ hardcore tool fans, some with no musical experience and some with an abundance and we all agree on this.

Unless you are just a tool fanboy and hold your live music experience up to no standards, you will see exactly what i am saying.

Once again, i challenge any of you to post a live video of any song that can be compared to one played in the earlier days and say with a straight face that maynard still sounds as good.

Maybe some of you are just tone deaf and as long as the entire structure of the song isn't out of whack, it sounds awesome to you?

I wasnt fortunate enough to see them before 2007. Having said that... i have watched earlier live vids and to me they didnt compare to seeing it live in my opinion. I would say that his energy level is different now... but not his ability.

roylek
05-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Yes.

Yes. Best voice of the ages

nusense
05-31-2010, 08:06 AM
People who expend way too much energy shitting on the good times of others really should be shot. Or at least... go find something better to do.

We get it. You don't like him now. Fucking wonderful. Go find a new band to see live? I think you've made your point.

Or are you REALLY the sort of person who just will not be happy/satisfied until everyone's moping around saying "eh, you're right. This SUCKS."

Seriously? That's your outlook on life?

elusivEuphoria
05-31-2010, 09:04 AM
^ /Applauds

wes
06-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Hello my wonderful TOOL fans. My opinion is that Tool is doing the summer mini tour to get some cash to do the new album which is smart if you ask me. I went to charlotte N.C. in 2009 to see the same show basically that i saw in 2007 in greenville S.C. And if they were closer I would go see them this summer also. I dont want to sound shallow but any chance I get i will go see Tool or any of the individuals in the band that are doing a side project. iIrecently went to Atlanta and saw Puscifer. I had meet and greet tickets. So i got to shake Maynards hand tell him I appreciate what he does and thanks for bringing the show to the east coast. He shook my hand and gave me a signed poster and softly said thank you enjoy the show. He had on that post office hat he often wears. Whats the story behind that? Anyone know? Anyway I loved the show it was the airline theme where they dressed as stewardeses and pilots it was a good show and for all you fans that want Maynard to come to the front and be more personable this was your chance. He done a great show and the music was awesome. Me and the wife had a great time . To all you great Tool fans try to live in the now and dont be so seriouse. People and things change if it stayed the same we would be bored to death. And after all Tool owe us nothing. No matter how many shows albums T-shirts we have bought they owe us nothing and have never promised us anything. So relax take what they give in appreciation and remember we are lucky to be fans of the best band in the world TOOL!!!!!

elusivEuphoria
06-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Well... to be fair, Tool is lucky they have fans.

I mean I'm about as big a fanboi as they come (ill admit it) but the reality is there are plenty of talented musicians and artists out there that live on scraps. They don't have a fraction of the attention that Tool has. There is no valid reason for that other than Tool tapped into an expression that clicked with those listening, and record labels saw a way to make a dollar off it. We can be happy that Tool are reasonably honest, dedicated and talented musicians, but it doesn't change...

"I sold out long before you ever even heard my name! I sold my soul to make a record, Dipshit! And you bought ONE!"

:-)

caveat
06-02-2010, 07:03 AM
I love that tool is touring. Just love it to bits. don't care what they play. I just wanna see danny punish those drums. those drums must have done somehing BAD for the way danny beats them... :3

elusivEuphoria
06-02-2010, 08:28 AM
I unsubscribed to this and i didnt want to. I'll try to make this post as useful as possible, I just have fat fingers on my driod apparently.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the May newsletter, just to see if Blair addresses anything further about the tour. More than just knowing what to expect from the tour itself, I'd like to know how this helps or hinders the development of the next album.

withSpirit
06-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I unsubscribed to this and i didnt want to. I'll try to make this post as useful as possible, I just have fat fingers on my driod apparently.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the May newsletter, just to see if Blair addresses anything further about the tour. More than just knowing what to expect from the tour itself, I'd like to know how this helps or hinders the development of the next album.

I've come to see Blair as nothing but a little fucking dickhole idiot. I never expect anything worthwhile in anything he writes, and that's usually the case.

elusivEuphoria
06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Agreed, but the past couple have had some slightly useful info. I'm an optimist.

elusivEuphoria
06-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm curious to see what Blair's May newsletter says with regard to this tour, and the writing process for the next album. I must be crazy but, the last two have been a little more revealing than most, I guess I'm just hoping he'll shed some light on the questions every Tool fan is asking.

"Will there be anything new on this tour?"
"Will the band continue to write on the road?"
"What is the mood going on in the rehearsal space?"
"Can we expect serious progress on the album after this tour is up?"
"Perhaps a release before the year is out?"
"Should I have myself checked into an mental institution?"

He didn't.
He didn't.
He didn't.
He didn't.
He didn't.
I should.

poudge
06-06-2010, 09:20 PM

All you have to do is watch ANY live video of a song from 2006-2009 and then watch that exact same live song anywhere from 1992-2001 and you will see the quality of maynard's voice is night and day difference. You do not have to be a skilled singer, like myself, to hear this.
really??? ....a skilled singer like yourself?? wow i admire your modesty

"a skilled singer"(or anyone with half abrain) knows that over time ones vocal chords lose the muscle tension it once had.
do you sound the exact same as you did 10 years ago??? i know i dont..its called getting old

Once again, i challenge any of you to post a live video of any song that can be compared to one played in the earlier days and say with a straight face that maynard still sounds as good
i challenge you to doing us all a favour and turn off your p.c/mac unplugg it and proceed to jump up and down on it so the rest of us dont have to read your ignorant pompous drivil......

go on we're waiting

mungbuddy
06-07-2010, 02:19 PM
lmao! ^^ best post in thread.^^

nusense
06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't mean this in a dickish way at all, but...

I'm continually surprised how certain people can become such "superfans" of this band, and yet it still seems like they have missed nearly every message the band has put out.

And I don't mean esoteric type messages inferred from their lyrics. I mean the ones they blatantly put out there, upfront in interviews and the like.

They have never liked giving out tons of inside info into their recording processes, intimate moments as a band, etc. etc. etc.

I mean, they've begun to lift the veil ever so slightly over the years. But they're still the same very intentionally mysterious band they were from the get go. I, for one, have always loved it and continue to.

And that's not to say that those of you wanting more and more from them are "wrong," exactly, it's just I don't know how you got this far yet still expect that sort of stuff from them.

Blair's ramblings and every thing else from them that's NOT either an album or a live show has always been cryptic. Aren't some of you used to this by now? Why is it hard to accept something that's been so consistent over the years?*

*note: this doesn't apply to the seemingly haphazard show announcements and all that. On the one hand, I appreciate the odd excitement that seems to come from it, and the spontaneity. But gripes with that are very legitimate. Ditto that the un-changing basic setlist. I don't mind it much, but I can't say I don't get the complaints. Especially considering how much everyone would FLIP at this point if they merely rotated 4-5 songs in/out of one slot on the setlist regularly.

InertUniformity
06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Let me put it this way.

Though I dont consider myself a fan-boy, I have loved this band since the mid 90s. Idont compare myself to other fans and I don't give a fuck about the supposed "message" that the band puts out there. I stopped paying attention to that shit a long time ago. Watching/reading interviews can be entertaining - especially in the case of Tool because they are usually sarcastic dicks, but anyone who allows the content of these interviews to effect how the music sounds are - in my opinion - misguided.

The same goes for interpreting lyrics. I know that I may be in the minority here but what I like about Tool is the SOUND OF THE GOD DAMN MUSIC - not the content of the lyrics, which we can intrepret ad infinitum and never reach a consensus - basically like any piece of poetry.

Even if you're the type of person who loves poetry, I think you would have to admit that MJKs lyrics - though pretty cool sometimes - arent particularly amazing. To me they represent his personal contribution to band - thats all it is to me. I dont know the guy personally so I find the process of intrepretation to be a total waste of time. For some people its fun, not for me.

Having said all this, I still think its fair for fans to speculate and to make the band out to be something greater than they are. I say this because as good as Tool are, we DO in fact place them on a pedastal. We are the source of their greatness - and certainly their mystique to a certain extent.

AgentDMT
06-08-2010, 05:00 PM
So I am thinking this tour has some deeper meaning to it than them trying to make a quick buck over the summer. My rationale is as follows:

During the last two tours, they curiously added Flood to the setlist. While it makes sense after Katrina, they continued with it... Flood is lengthy part to the setlist... being an older and less well known piece, its curious they should add this.

This tour is clearly not geared towards making money.... the cities, save a few, are not particularly huge... The tour starts in New Orleans, moves to Houston, and then follows the path up the central US... almost like the path of a hurricane. The first two cities, are the last two cities hit by a major hurricane in the united states... I think on some level, the topography of this tour, mixed with their curious addition of Flood to the setlist, and the fact that this tour is absurdly deviant from their typical pattern leads to the conclusion that they in some way are trying to connect themselves to the coming disasters... Oddly, all signs point to a tulmultuous hydro-carbon laden hurricane season this year.... just a thought. Perhaps they are warning people? Perhaps they are enchanting the hurricanes to come?

All i know, is in 2008, Ike was dancing with landfall on the Floridian coast. So, I stupidly, purchased Intrade shares for a landfall in Florida... From that point on, the hurricane adjusted it course... such that it hit Houston directly (where I live).. The wall of the eye passed directly over my house... I foolishly insulted karma... and it reared its wrathful hand all over my yard and house.... The shape of an eye is the one that all animals perceive equally as the sign for a sentient living being... curious we should also perceive a hurricane to be the same shape... perhaps there are more powerful forces at work whos absurd explanation tests our rational understanding of the natural world. hurricanes are fucking absurdly powerful acts of cosmic fury...

/paranoid schizophrenic rant.

you can bet they will play Flood on this tour.

here comes the water.

caveat
06-09-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm laughing at the concept of maynard having only "one good scream". This is some high school bullshit! "...Oh man, yeah that was a good scream, but this guy from linkin opark has this one scream in this one song that is totally like four seconds longer so it's better but when he does it live he splits it into two parts but that's ok cuz really he has like 25 good screams per show..."</highschool>

Fuck that. I mean it. I'm one for trolling and all, but develop your trololol skill, bud. We all know Tool rocks the house like it's being repossesed...

withSpirit
06-09-2010, 02:16 PM
He didn't.
He didn't.
He didn't.
He didn't.
He didn't.
I should.
And...my pessimism comes through for me again. I'm neither disappointed nor surprised.

Elton John
06-09-2010, 10:09 PM
really??? ....a skilled singer like yourself?? wow i admire your modesty

"a skilled singer"(or anyone with half abrain) knows that over time ones vocal chords lose the muscle tension it once had.
do you sound the exact same as you did 10 years ago??? i know i dont..its called getting old

Correct, and it is up to the observer and consumer of said art to be as honest as possible and the honest truth is that he does not sound good.

No one was ever arguing that his decline in vocal skill was due to anything other than old age and even if it were due to something else, we aren't privy to such information so i don't care....so continue having this argument with yourself because you still have all your work ahead of you. =)

tooldude
06-10-2010, 04:09 PM
ghehehee iiiiaauuu... I couldn't get any sleep 'cause there was a message, at the top of the page, saying: "SOMETHING ABOUT MAYNARD BEIGN SEXY". Well this is for you blnd lttl fckr, you are wrong, you've been always wrong and you'll be always wrong... didn't your mother used to say that to you? Oh you still live with your parents... all right, my bad, that's ok, RIGHT, anyway I had this interesting idea about how tool formed itself in a way it's kinda hard to understand. I'm not telling this because my bubble in my nose just got bigger... I'm telling to you who all ready know to tell more, save these poor t00l's braincancers from evolving. Thanks for your intrest.

wat

withSpirit
06-10-2010, 04:52 PM
ghehehee iiiiaauuu... I couldn't get any sleep 'cause there was a message, at the top of the page, saying: "SOMETHING ABOUT MAYNARD BEIGN SEXY". Well this is for you blnd lttl fckr, you are wrong, you've been always wrong and you'll be always wrong... didn't your mother used to say that to you? Oh you still live with your parents... all right, my bad, that's ok, RIGHT, anyway I had this interesting idea about how tool formed itself in a way it's kinda hard to understand. I'm not telling this because my bubble in my nose just got bigger... I'm telling to you who all ready know to tell more, save these poor t00l's braincancers from evolving. Thanks for your intrest.

My daughter can express herself more effectively than you can...and she can't even talk yet.

Elton John
06-16-2010, 12:00 AM

I effectively ended the entire argument with this post. I guess it is time for me to say those four words to declare victory....I rest my case.

06-16-2010, 12:33 AM
I effectively ended the entire argument with this post. I guess it is time for me to say those four words to declare victory....I rest my case.

elton john...

it would be almost impossible to find a video of maynard sounding as absolutely amazing as he used to...

however, with that said, he is almost 50 years old now. just as tools music has progressed/evolved/changed, you cant expect him to go out there and belt notes that he used to hit singing third eye while on 5 hits of acid.

maybe the passion isnt the same as it once was. but you know what? that fucking happens. get the fuck over it. passion fades in relationships, marriages, friendships, creative endeavors, etc etc. they arent an up and coming band anymore trying to make the scene. they dont have to prove anything. especially to you.

its not to say that tools next cd wont completely blow us all out of the water and be their best yet. its impossible to say, and really in the long term, it doesnt matter at all. take their older cds/performances for the majestic beauty that they are, watch/listen to them as much as you care to, and enjoy. stop fucking comparing it to now.

i love opiate. i love undertow. i love aenima. i love lateralus. i love 10,000 days.

if you love younger maynard so much, try taking his advice from the lateralus tour and do something positive, instead of bashing and being a negative prick.

nusense
06-16-2010, 05:56 AM
I also love how "good" is thrown around like this objective, provable property. Truly the hallmark of an intelligent argument.

Maybe I'm not that concerned with holding my little checklist of how many screams get "nailed" night in/night out. Maybe a more reserved and stoic Maynard appeals to me more than the old Blue/Reverend Maynard who screamed a lot?

Who gives a shit? You like what you like. You don't like what's going on now (even though it's not the great leap/drop in quality you make it out to be with all of your hyperbole), awesome.

When you become a rambling an insufferable twat is when you start actively trying to convince others that something they love, artwise, is shitty.

Want to convince someone that their love of drilling in the Gulf is a shitting thing? Go for it. That's a worthy cause.

Trying to pick apart someone else's love of a certain piece of art and PROVE to them that they're "wrong?" Hard to imagine a more worthless and disgusting pursuit, really.

withSpirit
06-16-2010, 02:18 PM
I also love how "good" is thrown around like this objective, provable property. Truly the hallmark of an intelligent argument.

Maybe I'm not that concerned with holding my little checklist of how many screams get "nailed" night in/night out. Maybe a more reserved and stoic Maynard appeals to me more than the old Blue/Reverend Maynard who screamed a lot?

Who gives a shit? You like what you like. You don't like what's going on now (even though it's not the great leap/drop in quality you make it out to be with all of your hyperbole), awesome.

When you become a rambling an insufferable twat is when you start actively trying to convince others that something they love, artwise, is shitty.

Want to convince someone that their love of drilling in the Gulf is a shitting thing? Go for it. That's a worthy cause.

Trying to pick apart someone else's love of a certain piece of art and PROVE to them that they're "wrong?" Hard to imagine a more worthless and disgusting pursuit, really.
In all fairness to the creator of this thread, it's not really about "good." It's about being on key and on pitch, and those ARE objective. All of those "screams" or high, climactic vocal parts are supposed to be on key with the rest of the instruments and have pitch that compliments the music. Maynard frequently misses these notes now, because his vocal chords have deteriorated, and he can't sing as high or as throaty as he used to. Unless you're completely tone deaf, you have noticed by now that Vicarious in particular has sounded pretty bad lately, and I'm not just talking about the very end. Go watch some live clips of it on Youtube, and you'll see what I mean.

nusense
06-17-2010, 07:49 AM
If you want to argue a point, then you need to use proper terms. He should stress those terms rather than saying, "it's not good" over and over. But even then... what's the fucking point?

With regards to your post, dude, he's ALWAYS done that. Some of you are looking at the past with very rose-colored glasses.

There's plenty of videos from the "old days" where he went off pitch, hit odd notes, etc. It happens. It's called live rock music. Not trying to be a dick.

I STILL don't get the insistence to prove this "point." What's the drive behind creating a crusade to convince people who happen to enjoy the band still that they're "wrong?"

Why not just shove off, call it a day, and find a new band? I'll never understand the need to keep coming back and back and back to, "no, you don't understand! He/They're not good anymore!!!! Whyyyyyyyyy won't anyone listen to me?"

elusivEuphoria
06-18-2010, 02:13 AM
So I am thinking this tour has some deeper meaning to it than them trying to make a quick buck over the summer. My rationale is as follows:

During the last two tours, they curiously added Flood to the setlist. While it makes sense after Katrina, they continued with it... Flood is lengthy part to the setlist... being an older and less well known piece, its curious they should add this.

This tour is clearly not geared towards making money.... the cities, save a few, are not particularly huge... The tour starts in New Orleans, moves to Houston, and then follows the path up the central US... almost like the path of a hurricane. The first two cities, are the last two cities hit by a major hurricane in the united states... I think on some level, the topography of this tour, mixed with their curious addition of Flood to the setlist, and the fact that this tour is absurdly deviant from their typical pattern leads to the conclusion that they in some way are trying to connect themselves to the coming disasters... Oddly, all signs point to a tulmultuous hydro-carbon laden hurricane season this year.... just a thought. Perhaps they are warning people? Perhaps they are enchanting the hurricanes to come?

All i know, is in 2008, Ike was dancing with landfall on the Floridian coast. So, I stupidly, purchased Intrade shares for a landfall in Florida... From that point on, the hurricane adjusted it course... such that it hit Houston directly (where I live).. The wall of the eye passed directly over my house... I foolishly insulted karma... and it reared its wrathful hand all over my yard and house.... The shape of an eye is the one that all animals perceive equally as the sign for a sentient living being... curious we should also perceive a hurricane to be the same shape... perhaps there are more powerful forces at work whos absurd explanation tests our rational understanding of the natural world. hurricanes are fucking absurdly powerful acts of cosmic fury...

here comes the water.

Smoke less.

Elton John
06-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Hey nusense...was that not specific enough? When i say "good" it encompasses all of that. Do I need to break this down any further for you, or do you think you will be able to grasp what "good" means in this context from now on? Just let me know, i am here to help =).

There is no opposing argument in this entire thread. All it is, is a bunch of fangirls crying and asking me why I feel the need to do this.

It reminds me a whole lot of a group of friends getting mad at someone for calling their obese friend fat.

But please remember....no matter how pointless or mean or uncalled for it is to make fun of the portly chap, doesnt take away from the fact that the poor bastard is fat.

No matter how much energy you think i am wasting on this topic to point out that maynard cant sing very "good" anymore, doesnt take away from the fact that he cant sing very "good" anymore.

I also never once said i "expected" his voice to be the same. All i am doing is pointing out a simple fact and you all are arguing moot points that no one raised, so continue arguing with yourselves on positions i never held and claims i never made.

Class dismissed.

insaner
06-19-2010, 08:10 PM
his voice clearly got shot during the 2.5 years straight doing lateralus tour. his voice is still solid, but different and 10k days reflects that. this is why he let the audience scream the last verse of vicarious every night. i mean, the mans getting up there in age, its hard to keep screaming like that for 20 years.

insaner
06-19-2010, 08:12 PM
i disagree that he doesnt still sing "good" anymore though. his voice is still very emotionally powerful and nuanced.

Elton John
06-20-2010, 09:29 AM
My god they are playing intolerance, third eye, and the patient this tour.....you always find a way to pull money out of me dont you tool.

insaner
06-23-2010, 06:37 PM
his voice clearly got shot during the 2.5 years straight doing lateralus tour. his voice is still solid, but different and 10k days reflects that. this is why he let the audience scream the last verse of vicarious every night. i mean, the mans getting up there in age, its hard to keep screaming like that for 20 years.

im starting to think im wrong about this after the reviews. ill know saturday night!

StoneyB
06-24-2010, 04:07 AM
Third eye, intolerance, the patient...sounds like a good show. I'm still stoked that I got to see pushit in san diego in 07.

guitarpete987
06-24-2010, 06:01 AM
This part actually made me smile, and I kind of have to agree. Maynard is wearing pretty thin on me these days, and his side projects are just such dogshit, especially compared to Tool. (I haven't tried his wine yet because I'm sure there's no way it lives up to its price tag.)

You see, the thing about this is that this side of Maynard doesn't bother me. It's all very ironic, actually. For so long people believed he was one thing and it turns out that he's actually another thing altogether. He was always selling us an image. And we bought it. This was really him all along, but he was playing an act. Kinda like Ziggy Stardust, except Maynard's never had a name. But he's never really presented himself as anything other than extremely sarcastic and blunt. He's even smarter than any of us really ever thought.

Oh, and I don't think Maynard's trying to be "sexy." I think he's just being silly. really.

Michał
06-25-2010, 03:09 AM
Your post is sour like a sponge swollen with lemon juice... but there's a lot of truth in it. I don't agree with all the haters, violently screaming about how Maynard fails to hit a note or about the lyrics being not filled with angst anymore, but you've just nailed down the subliminal feeling I had of being lied.
Maybe, though, if we could just enjoy the music, think for ourselves and stop over-thinking, over-analyzing, glorifying the band - which was the message all the way - nothing would feel wrong right now. I have some sort of internal disagreement because of Danny, he's the greatest drummer for me however I'm not fond of his occult fascination.
Anyway - I'll enjoy their music probably very long if not always, and I can't wait for the new stuff.

nusense
06-25-2010, 06:28 AM
I have some sort of internal disagreement because of Danny, he's the greatest drummer for me however I'm not fond of his occult fascination.

"Fear is the mind killer."

elusivEuphoria
06-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Don't brush this quote off, its more troof than anything, ever.

withSpirit
06-25-2010, 02:03 PM

Fear is not the same as caution, nor is fear the same as disapproval or dislike. So, whatever profound point you were trying to make with that quote is completely irrelevant.

withSpirit
06-25-2010, 02:07 PM
im starting to think im wrong about this after the reviews. ill know saturday night!

I felt exactly like you did, and if you saw my review in the Cedar Park thread, you know that I ate my words pretty hard. I haven't heard Maynard sound that good since 2001. It was incredible.

And not only was he singing on key and clearly, he was singing the songs much closer to the way they sound on the albums, rather than messing with the melodies. It just sounded so much better, I'm done trying to describe it because I can't.

I hope for your sake that his voice holds up through the Saturday show. If it doesn't, well, you can Youtube the Cedar Park show and hear for yourself if you haven't already.

elusivEuphoria
06-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Fear is not the same as caution, nor is fear the same as disapproval or dislike.

So why is it that you are cautious? Why do you disapprove? Why do you dislike?

darkslayer96
06-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Tool is touring right now without an album.. Its pretty obvious why, I mean judging by the setlist.

Tool wants everyone to know that they are prying open their 3rd eye and writing new shyt.

I mean why else would they start their show with it? they need you to be ready, lolz

Elton John
06-26-2010, 12:10 AM
You see, the thing about this is that this side of Maynard doesn't bother me. It's all very ironic, actually. For so long people believed he was one thing and it turns out that he's actually another thing altogether. He was always selling us an image. And we bought it. This was really him all along, but he was playing an act. Kinda like Ziggy Stardust, except Maynard's never had a name. But he's never really presented himself as anything other than extremely sarcastic and blunt. He's even smarter than any of us really ever thought.

Oh, and I don't think Maynard's trying to be "sexy." I think he's just being silly. really.

I agree with the majority of all that is written here other than him being "smarter than any of us thought."

But even with all that being said, it does not take away from the fact that maynard doesnt have the voice he once had. I have looked up every single new live show from this tour and he has to do the live screams during third eye with a voice effect because he cant hit the notes. This is just objective truth and once again, you can not like me, you can choose to not like the way i write about it, but it does not take any validity away from my original point.

I almost feel bad writing this because i like the band and maynard so much and i have honestly seen an actual desire from him, on this tour, to give it all he has and that is all i expect. My respect for him as a live performer has gone up since the last tour. If his heart is not in it, he is doing a good job acting and that is great.

Finally, it looks like the point and purpose of my post has made an impact and done what it was meant to do in the first place. Im sure he has seen this post and is now trying to prove the "haters" wrong and therefore giving you, the consumer, a better performance.

You can write your thank you messages addressed to me in this thread or via PM if you would like to extend your appreciation for improving your quality of life and concert going experience.

elusivEuphoria
06-26-2010, 04:13 AM
Finally, it looks like the point and purpose of my post has made an impact and done what it was meant to do in the first place. Im sure he has seen this post and is now trying to prove the "haters" wrong and therefore giving you, the consumer, a better performance.

You can write your thank you messages addressed to me in this thread or via PM if you would like to extend your appreciation for improving your quality of life and concert going experience.

Bwahahaha! I'm sure Maynard hasn't read this thread. Really? We can all thank you? I hope you are kidding because that really made me laugh.

Austin_Lucksted
06-28-2010, 11:33 PM
tool only sold out compared to this demigod like image you guys have created in your head. they're not these angry hardcore rebels that are trying to take over the world with badass music, they're fucking rodeo clowns, they've said it themselves. they don't even take themselves seriously anymore because once you reach a certain status and fame, there's a whole lifestyle waiting for you already, and you have to tip toe around that to make it through the muck of fame and fortune. imo, they've handled all their fame pretty tastefully, tools about evolving and growing, so why shouldn't they reach for the stars and try new things if it's within their grasp? or would you rather see maynard suffer every night and sing angry demonic songs for the rest of his career, as he's said before, "if i can't heal from my art, then what's the point in doing it at all?"Thank you!! You just crystallized everything.

tony4007
06-29-2010, 10:54 AM
uplifting lyrics? Lateralus was uplifting. 10K couldn't lift my ball sac (and I has small balls)

I couldn't disagree more!! Wings for Marie 1 and 2 were respectively uplifting!!! That album was probably the most thought out album Tool has put out!!

Succubus
06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
(throwing a log on the fire)

4 words - Guitar Hero World Tour. Now *that's* mainstream. Love 'em as I may, their involvement in that little project pissed me off. But you know what? It was their involvement that induced me to buy that stupid game. So I guess they know what they're doing.

And yeah. Enough of Maynard's stupid side projects. Be the Tool frontman, buddy. THAT is what got you where you are, after all.

Succubus
06-29-2010, 05:21 PM

here comes the water.

Wait, ummmmm.....

I guess the most obvious answer here is that no, Flood has not appeared on the setlist as yet. As to the rest, I'm just speechless.

elusivEuphoria
07-01-2010, 10:12 PM
^ LOL they played Flood pretty much at the very same moment of that post....

06.29.2010 - Denver, CO @ Red Rocks
Reviews only, please.

Setlist:

Third eye
Jambi
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Intension
Right in Two
Schism
Flood
Lateralus w dalek
Ænema

Succubus
07-02-2010, 05:37 AM
^ LOL they played Flood pretty much at the very same moment of that post....

06.29.2010 - Denver, CO @ Red Rocks
Reviews only, please.

Setlist:

Third eye
Jambi
Stinkfist
Vicarious
Intension
Right in Two
Schism
Flood
Lateralus w dalek
Ænema

LOL! I stand corrected! :-P

Elton John
11-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Well at least he finally admits it guys. I for one think this was honesty that makes me respect him even more.

But the most important thing about maynard's admission that he cant sing like he used to is that i am vindicated and proved right, as i always am.

Seriously....i am owed hundreds of apologies and admissions that i was right, and you all were wrong.

At about the 5 minute mark, till the end of the video maynard finally comes clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E79Gya0USQ

elusivEuphoria
11-26-2010, 12:02 AM
It must hurt having your head up your ass the whole time.

Elton John
11-26-2010, 12:16 AM
nice ad hominem...where is your admission that you were wrong and i was right though?

fearandloathing
11-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Well at least he finally admits it guys. I for one think this was honesty that makes me respect him even more.

But the most important thing about maynard's admission that he cant sing like he used to is that i am vindicated and proved right, as i always am.

Seriously....i am owed hundreds of apologies and admissions that i was right, and you all were wrong.

At about the 5 minute mark, till the end of the video maynard finally comes clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E79Gya0USQ

dude, are you really that butt-hurt about all this? and do you really care what all these internet plebeians think??

If you don't like that some asshat cant sing like he used to, then don't buy his albums and stay away from his concerts. I can't figure out why you are incessantly bitching on some forum..

Elton John
11-26-2010, 06:59 PM
I find it hysterical that all of you have maynard's "tool" so far down your "perfect circles" that it took him ADMITTING that he cant sing like he used to for you to catch on that his voice is no where close to what it was. I know not everyone can be as prolific at analyzing music as me but come on, it was plain as day from 2005 on that his vocal chops have atrophied substantially. All you have to do is listen to him live and you can tell if you have hearing.

And why would i stop buying his albums or stay away from his concerts when he is my favorite front man of all time? You are literally arguing with a straw man because i have never once said that i dont like him or dont want to invest in his endeavors.... i was just pointing out that he cant sing like he used to and all of you fanboys start freaking out which i find rather amusing.

The bottom line is i am vindicated and none of you would admit that he cant sing like he used to unless it came straight from the horses mouth...and it did and that brings me joy.

elusivEuphoria
11-26-2010, 10:06 PM

mcnadd
11-27-2010, 09:59 AM
he cant sing *exactly* like he used to.

tooldude
11-29-2010, 06:26 PM
sings better

i wouldnt go that far...

tooldude
11-30-2010, 04:41 PM
so your ear likes all that "screaming the head off" and fast music...

no, what makes you say that? i just dont see how you think he sings better now than what he used to..?

nedak
11-30-2010, 05:57 PM
I find it hysterical that all of you have maynard's "tool" so far down your "perfect circles" that it took him ADMITTING that he cant sing like he used to for you to catch on that his voice is no where close to what it was. I know not everyone can be as prolific at analyzing music as me but come on, it was plain as day from 2005 on that his vocal chops have atrophied substantially. All you have to do is listen to him live and you can tell if you have hearing.

And why would i stop buying his albums or stay away from his concerts when he is my favorite front man of all time? You are literally arguing with a straw man because i have never once said that i dont like him or dont want to invest in his endeavors.... i was just pointing out that he cant sing like he used to and all of you fanboys start freaking out which i find rather amusing.

The bottom line is i am vindicated and none of you would admit that he cant sing like he used to unless it came straight from the horses mouth...and it did and that brings me joy.

I've been reading your posts for the last two pages...fucking hilarious man.

I don't really disagree with any of it. The guy can't sing as well as he used to or with as much passion, but in my opinion he still sounds amazing when he sings an octave lower or at mid-range.

Still my favorite front man and singer of all time, but the guy is old...I just wish I could have seen them from 1990-2001. Oh well, at least I got Wings and the ending of Vicarious when I saw them live in 07.

Worthy note:
Have you checked out the video of them doing The Pot in C? Actually sounds pretty good in my opinion. He even manages to pull off a scream at the end.

Elton John
09-10-2011, 02:17 AM
I love maynard and he is trying tio sing better...come at me

ISmIASm
12-16-2011, 04:19 AM
All I know is...........I'm getting me some tix today for a show or 2. Tucson and possibly Vegas. I am NEVER disappointed by any of their shows. I don't care what the setlist is..I will go even if it's the same one over and over. I mean, come on, it's LIVE music and it's TOOL and we never know what songs we'll actually get. Sometimes I think I hear tidbits of songs that could possibly be part of another song, only we don't know it yet.. kinda like with Wings for Marie... And as we all know now, there is an album in the works. MJ must be ADD.. goes from APC to Puscifer to Tool back to Puscifer, in less than a year! One can only scream for so long before they start to realize they're changing how they feel about what they were once screaming for...

SilverGrudge
12-16-2011, 08:23 AM
All I know is...........I'm getting me some tix today for a show or 2. Tucson and possibly Vegas. I am NEVER disappointed by any of their shows. I don't care what the setlist is..I will go even if it's the same one over and over. I mean, come on, it's LIVE music and it's TOOL and we never know what songs we'll actually get. Sometimes I think I hear tidbits of songs that could possibly be part of another song, only we don't know it yet.. kinda like with Wings for Marie... And as we all know now, there is an album in the works. MJ must be ADD.. goes from APC to Puscifer to Tool back to Puscifer, in less than a year! One can only scream for so long before they start to realize they're changing how they feel about what they were once screaming for...

amen.

SilverGrudge
12-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Wow....buying these tickets is always a pain in the ass. FUCK.

Elton John
03-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Maynard says no album in 2013 while Danny says a new album will come out this year. Danny also said they are working on a 20 minute piece that reminded him of the Disposition, Reflection and triad composition on Lateralus.

Here is to hoping the album doesn't suck, Cheers!

Elton John
03-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Sooooo, how have the shows been in 2014?

hellboy1975
03-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Sooooo, how have the shows been in 2014?

The shows have progressed about as much as the new album it would seem ;)

swimminginmusic
03-19-2014, 10:54 PM
The shows have progressed about as much as the new album it would seem ;)

i absolutely LOVED each and every show i have seen to date. Yes they play a lot of the same stuff, but i have to say it is ALWAYS different. i saw one of the first shows of the 2007 tour and i saw the last show and granted only a couple of songs were switched out, but it was a different venue giving it a smaller stage and the lights had to be positioned differently, plus i saw it from a vastly different vantage point and i had a different chemical compositions… they turned out to be completely different experiences.

I caught the San Diego show of this tour and i was blown the fuck out of my seat. New opener (which I'm sure they've used before but new to me). Vicarious was much softer and slower, almost droning on continuing to build to a huge climax. I got the feeling that Maynard was getting either frustrated or stoked on the crowed singing his songs. He would either try to sing over them or just let them do it. I kept wishing everyone would just shut up and let him sing it…

The Visuals were new (ish) a lot of the same set up, but i commented to my girl that it seems as if they buy an addition to the set with every tour because every time i see them they have a bigger screen, or another laser machine, or all of a sudden this shits moving around every song… it keeps getting bigger and better. I thought it was great they've added a seated floor and an intermission as if it were a symphony. so civilized. Maybe now people will quit calling danny's solo "the intermission" and they'll fucking pay attention to his genius at work!

My point is, Tool is the only band that i will NEVER miss when they come around because i know i won't be disappointed. Every show is a different experience and even if they sat there and played acoustic versions with the house lights on i. will. support. them. Not only because i dig their brand/sound/message, or what i have gained from researching whats behind the lyrics, but because i believe they are artists with integrity who never seem to half ass a Tool project and i feel that they should be able to make a decent living at it.

J A G
03-20-2014, 03:29 AM
Great posting, eE

Elton John
03-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks jag, you wanna go out or what?

Elton John
03-20-2014, 11:00 AM
BTW i heard from a reliable source that this post made tool change up their set list. You are welcome friends.

Elton John
03-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Maynard trying = orgasm.

No one gives a shit if you cant hit every note from when you where 30 years old...you are 50 now, just try, thats all we care about.

We want to see the fire, the passion....reclaim it, its yours, no one cares if you fuck up vocally.

EastBayJ1972
03-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Maynard trying = orgasm.

No one gives a shit if you cant hit every note from when you where 30enough years old...you are 50 now, just try, thats all we care about.

We want to see the fire, the passion....reclaim it, its yours, no one cares if you fuck up vocally.

Well put sir. Idk what his pompous problem is. They could definitely do songs like D/R/T or H. Im SO glad i was fortunate enough to see them Undertow ..Aenima and Lateralus tours. And feel bad for the fans who have only seen them for 10k days.