PDA

View Full Version : Toolish Photography

sundryan
12-10-2002, 11:00 AM
The story behind this photo isn't very interesting, but with a little imagination I turned it into something decent.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/644106

Be sure to give it the full view for maximum enjoyment

ShackledEidolon
12-10-2002, 11:08 AM
Its interesting. Im trying to figure out if the faint lines are words or not (coming through the photo).

The flame almost seems to have a 'fire drake' in it was that intentional?

sundryan
12-10-2002, 11:11 AM
Yes, the lines you're seeing are in fact words. Could be that our monitors are at different brightness levels. Anyone else having a similar problem?

The only thing I did to the photo was crop it and tone it, so no, the "fire drake" you're seeing wasn't intentional :)

*goes to look for a fire drake*

ShackledEidolon
12-10-2002, 11:32 AM
Ok so I guess I should have taken your advice and looked at in full size mode...no I see what the words are. The 'Fire drake' is a little less noticable when your up close to it though. Just seemed somewhat appropriate with the 'sword' in the 'stone' there.

dan
12-10-2002, 12:50 PM
looks very nice.

what was the picture taken with (brand,model), if possible.

scorpioali
12-12-2002, 07:22 PM
i would actually like to hear the story behind the photo. it's cool, i like it.

Jerk off
12-21-2002, 01:16 PM
Yes, those are words and if im correct its the lryics to
Ænima. Does anyone else see it?
MW

Animus
12-22-2002, 05:59 PM
As a lover of that particular song, I've always been captivated by visual imagery associated with it. I've studied and drawn from the video, drawn original art about the lyrics, etc, but this is the first time i encountered a fire theme. In general i've always had the water theme in my mind for this song, but this photo suddenly opens a whole other realm. Being someone whose life has become inseperable from the imaginary and creative processes i come up with, i appreciate this photo greatly, and would like to thank you for it.

sundryan
12-27-2002, 05:17 PM
Thank you for the kind words Animus. It means a lot when someone personally thanks me for my creativity. Would it be possible to see some of your artwork? I'd love to see it.

Dan, the photo was taken with a digital camera made by Olympus. I don't have the camera with me at the moment (it isn't mine), so I can't recall the model. I believe the camera was in the $350 price range, if that helps at all. I recently purchased myself an old Cannon AE-1 so I can get deeper into the world of photography. Having everything done automatically is limiting and therefore annoying.

Scorpioali, since you asked, here's the story. Myself and a couple of friends were spending a weekend in his cabin up near the White Mountains in New Hampshire. We were there so that we could get an early jump on our hike the next morning. Being that it's in the middle of nowhere, most stores close very early in the evening so we had to find other means of entertainment. One age old form of excitement is, of course, lighting things on fire. What's holding the ball in the air is about 4 long matches duck taped together and dug into the ball. The reason a foam stress ball was able to flame so spectacularly is due to the fact that it had a bit of gasoline in it at the time. When I snapped a few pictures, I had no intention of turning it into anything more than an interesting photo to show my friends. However, one night, I was struck by a wave of creativity and this came of it.

See? Told you it wasn't interesting :)

Thanks again for your comments. They're certainly well appreciated.

Jebus
01-08-2003, 03:48 AM
Hey that was pretty cool.
I've got some pics of my hands on fire with zippo fluid if someone wants to see em... hehe

Limo
02-01-2003, 06:24 AM
The image work so well with the graphic element of the text, but i'm not sure that the text applies very well in the context of the image.

Otherwise I really like the image, it just goes to show what you can do on the spur of the moment.

But by all means buy a film camera. Film is so much more fun than digital.

:)

Rice
02-02-2003, 03:21 PM
i really like that one.

good job :)

xxATROPHYxx
02-11-2003, 01:39 PM
have you always connected aenima with fire or was water just not cool enough? id like to hear your thoughts on the song