PDA

View Full Version : campbell / heroes

dancingflame
01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
not really a new thought but really interesting

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=227781013595028167

my point is the line "supposed to be a hero" and as probably many of you I think this song is about taking psychedelic drugs and what you make out of it (or not --> if its really bad you end up in a psychiatry -> lost keys) - anyway: campbell gives some nice insights about the "hero"-phenomenon

cheers!

Negentropy
04-05-2009, 07:06 PM
This song is Archetypal, yes, and Apocalyptic. Read Ezekiel, Enoch, Daniel, and Revelation. This is our society's Hero, a High School Drop out on Hallucinogens trying to describe the ineffable in the hospital. Really, It's never been much different, Jesus was a carpenter, and John of Revelation was in Prison, for some reason the socially low get lifted to the spiritually high.

dancingflame
07-24-2009, 01:59 PM
:D
great- thats about exactly what I thought since I heard the song (read the lyrics) for the first or second time...if i am going to read those bible-books, i don`t know yet but maybe some time...
i have another a bit off-topic "idea"/question: who else thinkgs "bob help me" refers to robert anton wilson? or might be a reference to him?

hemiola
07-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Bob Dobbs most likely but hey, who knows?

Inner_Eulogy
07-27-2009, 09:16 AM
:D
great- thats about exactly what I thought since I heard the song (read the lyrics) for the first or second time...if i am going to read those bible-books, i don`t know yet but maybe some time...
i have another a bit off-topic "idea"/question: who else thinkgs "bob help me" refers to robert anton wilson? or might be a reference to him?

This has been discussed thoroughly in the past. Bob is a name Maynard used as a pun to describe God. So instead of saying God Help Me, he's sarcastically saying Bob Help Me.

dancingflame
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
This has been discussed thoroughly in the past. Bob is a name Maynard used as a pun to describe God. So instead of saying God Help Me, he's sarcastically saying Bob Help Me.

LOL - thats good :D:D:D
i love this song!!! its like all tool songs in one song...(not really but kind of)

Negentropy
08-05-2009, 10:28 AM

The Rugrats (a show on nickelodeon) also used this pun. I think this is more of a reference to the church of sub-genius and it's discordianism and than anything else. I would certainly say the state of being described in this song is certainly that of spiritual discord and chaos. The hero hasn't made it out of the belly of the whale just yet, some would say.

Negentropy
08-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Bob Dobbs most likely but hey, who knows?

agreed.