PDA

View Full Version : Concert Memoir

sinthasis
12-09-2002, 09:02 PM
After hearing this song live for the second time, the lyrics and music hit me all at once. I had recently read "Nothing in This Book is True, But it's Exactly How Things Are" by Bob Frissell, and I really feel as if this single book has allowed me to completely understand Tool on a different level. The concert is like a progressive enlightening experience; "Lateralus" was played at the climax of the concert and energy. It was as if I was reborn into this omniscient being. Maynard talks in the song about seeing only "black and white" at first, then colors set in. These lyrics are symbolic of what I felt as this song was being played. At first, the images are just there and intrigueing, but as the concert goes on, they take on more and more meaning(especially if you have read the previously mentioned book). You feel as if you are on a highly spiritual journey with the band. "Overthinking, overanalyzing separates the body from the mind": you must strip yourself of your intuition which has been instilled in you in order to see the "truth". Near the end of the concert, when they huddle and send out their best wishes and hopes for peace and love, you realize that you will never be the same. Having had this experience, I feel more at peace with myself and the world in which I live, because I now know that I have the power within me to change my environment and my consciousness. Yes, it's that powerful.

Peace