PDA

View Full Version : H

thewayuwhisper
10-02-2003, 04:27 PM
- the song can clearly be interpreted in terms of heroin (for all people not familiar with drug/street termonology:heroin= ''H'' )
Im not saying that this is what its about, but all tool songs are open to interpretation anyway, and its fun to hear peoples personal viewpoints and up close experiences

- the snake symbolizes the overwhelming desire to do the drug.
This symbolizim can have a variety of different meanings for each respective person's experience with the drug.
(one example):
u try to break away from a friend (snake) who you've grown very close with and done the drug with many times. Anyone who's ever had a drug habit knows how difficult this 'breaking away' process can be. the snake hisses at u to 'take another hit.' he tempts u drains u leaves u cracked and empty. days away or 'taking days off' can't make this desire go away.And when u finnaly feel like you're ready to 'drown' the snake or 'quit' for good, u look in their eyes and all fear fades. u begin recalling all of the wonderful 'high' moments you've spent together. All previous concerns diminish. you feel like you know death is imminent so u might as well live it up,take a hit, and stop worrying about it. U know you're too connected to this life/drug/friend and you don't mind that its consideratly killing u.

-

learist
10-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Whell, I used to think that about this song, but I really think that Tool wouldn't write about something so specific as that. I usually try to find a more universal meaning in there lyrics. But, for the sake of argument:

The snake can be seen as the drug or even the syringe. Because of its fangs, it has the ability to inject its "poison" into a vein. Also,"my blood before me begs me, open up my heart again." It could be his body screaming for him to all the snake to bite him again. Just some thoughts.

thewayuwhisper
10-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Whell, I used to think that about this song, but I really think that Tool wouldn't write about something so specific as that. I usually try to find a more universal meaning in there lyrics. But, for the sake of argument:

The snake can be seen as the drug or even the syringe. Because of its fangs, it has the ability to inject its "poison" into a vein. Also,"my blood before me begs me, open up my heart again." It could be his body screaming for him to all the snake to bite him again. Just some thoughts.

i definetely think youre right about the songs being universal. that's really the best thing about the band. Personally, having had a strong addictiction to drugs, these lyrics just make sense.

ndtool
10-05-2003, 06:47 PM
That's exactly why you would make lyrics universal... so everyone can pull their own meanings out of every song based on their experiences and situations. I know I do. That is exactly what makes tool so great (among other things).