PDA

View Full Version : suicide

LabRat404
11-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I will choke until I swallow [the barrel]
Choke this infant here before me (ie, being a "baby", cant deal with things)
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down? (low self-esteem)

But you're
Pushing and shoving me.
You still love me and you pushit (greif) on me.

Rest your trigger on my finger, (literally)
bang my head upon the fault line.
Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear. (ie, suicide)

But you're pushing me,
Shoving me. Pushit on me.

Slipping back into the gap again. (depression.)
I'm alive when you're touching me,
Alive when you're shoving me down. (physical pain to deal with emotional pain)

But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind.

Put me somewhere I don't wanna be. (the gap, depression)
Seeing someplace I don't wanna see.
Never wanna see that place again.

Saw that gap again today
As you were begging me to stay [and not kill myself]
Managed to push myself away,
And you, as well.

If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way.

There's no love in fear.

Staring down the hole again. (barrel)
Hands upon my back again. (metaphor: no way out)
Survival is my only friend.
[but I'm] Terrified of what may come.

Just remember I will always love you, (ie, goodbye)
Even as I tear your fucking throat away. (metaphor for how much pain I'm gunna cause you)
But it will end no other way.

crincled
11-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Rest your trigger on my finger, (literally)
bang my head upon the fault line.
Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear. (ie, suicide)

it might deal with suicide, but i doubt it's the main idea. i think it has something to do with rape and the like. that or child sexual abuse.

and i always liked the sexual interpretation that you can give to that verse that i quoted from you

head as in penis and faultline as in vagina.

LabRat404
11-29-2008, 12:30 PM
that's a common thought, though I think the metaphor would be pretty extreme for something so simple. I think H is far more likely to be about child sexual abuse than this piece. and for that one: http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=26309

edit: though the "push it on me" certainly makes me wonder...

crincled
11-29-2008, 12:57 PM
you know nardo and his hard-on for word play...

base metal
11-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Interesting take, LabRat.

I look at it in a similar way, but more specifically as abuse.

edited by bm

Inner_Eulogy
12-02-2008, 10:09 AM
that's a common thought, though I think the metaphor would be pretty extreme for something so simple. I think H is far more likely to be about child sexual abuse than this piece. and for that one: http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=26309

edit: though the "push it on me" certainly makes me wonder...

H. has absolutely nothing to do with child/sexual abuse, where in the fuck did you get that idea?

Wow....just wow

crincled
12-02-2008, 11:45 AM
^ give us your take, genius.

LabRat404
12-02-2008, 06:02 PM
apparently maynard said what these songs are really about.

personally, I don't care. these are my takes.

Inner_Eulogy
12-03-2008, 10:32 AM
^ give us your take, genius.

Pushit is about emotional, mental and possibly even physical abuse within a relationship. That's beyond obvious.

Now H. could be argued that it's about a drug addiction but much more likely that it's about the emotional and mental changes one goes through when you bring a child into this life (which he even said so himself).

I don't have time to get into any more detail right now but it doesn't take a genius to see this and it's apparent that neither song is about sexual abuse. Perhaps you're thinkin' of Prison Sex and just don't know what you're talking about, I dunno. *shrug*

crincled
12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
It's good to know that you know that you're right.

Inner_Eulogy
12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
It's good to know that you know that you're right.

It's sad to know that you don't

crincled
12-04-2008, 12:38 PM
lol wow you're a douche.

Inner_Eulogy
12-04-2008, 02:05 PM
lol wow you're a douche.

Wow, what an intelligent remark.

If that's the best you can come up with then I can truly understand why you just don't get it.

crincled
12-04-2008, 04:54 PM
hey, you got me. I'm stumped.

base metal
12-04-2008, 09:48 PM
C'mon you guys, we should all be able to throw our 2 cents in without shooting each other down over everything.

Personally I don't agree with any of you 100%, but I like you all for sharing your thoughts here and I'll try to respect everyone accordingly.

H. I agree with Inner on, but I can see a relation to the affects abuse might have on someone fighting their old demons in order shed their bad habits and traits to open themselves up to something more important like having a child.

Pushit deals with any and every type of abuse, from the fear and hate it brings to the way we beat our own selves up. There's no saying it's not about sexual or physical abuse, I think the song leaves that much pretty wide open.

I think it's a lot more complicated than that lyrically, though. I'll come back and post more in depth about it later on when I get all my thoughts in order.

You can always agree or disagree.

LabRat404
12-06-2008, 07:16 PM
douche indeed.

but really though. I don't care. this is just a take on the song, not what the song was written for. you can't accept that, you've made your point. I don't care.

hatred in a jar
12-10-2008, 02:33 PM
The abuse idea sounds reasonable. It's obviously about some type of relationship with another person. I always thought it had something to do with Maynard's son and maybe him not wanting a child, ie. "Choke this infant here before me." It can go so many different ways it's hard to say. Definitely has an aspect of resistance and submission.

O.K. I'm gonna go get high now and listen to this song on the walk to the train. Maybe I'll figure it out. Wish me luck ;P.

Omega
12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
ironic how your avatar is of a guy blowing his brains out.

Inner_Eulogy
12-11-2008, 12:00 PM

moron

LabRat404
12-12-2008, 06:49 AM
okay.

Inner_Eulogy
12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
okay.

Wasn't even talking to you, idiot

LabRat404
12-15-2008, 10:31 AM
okay.

Inner_Eulogy
12-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Exactly

crincled
12-15-2008, 12:50 PM
*humors*

theamazingtool
12-16-2008, 07:03 PM

i think inner already said it, though i couldnt help but laugh

Inner_Eulogy
12-18-2008, 10:37 AM
i think inner already said it, though i couldnt help but laugh

Me thinks the hedgehog in the picture took one hit too many

Disarm
12-21-2009, 07:57 PM
I personally like your take, and it seems to make more sense to me than the physical/mental abuse thing-- at least to me.
Now, I see your take on H. I really don't think you represented it in the way I would, but I've also always imagined the song as being about the long term effects of abuse, but it could just as easily be about the long term effect of Maynard's past decision(s).

Those juxtapposed to your theory may not wave their finger; afterall, who are they to judge or strike you down?

forty-eight-and-two
07-25-2010, 10:55 PM
To me its about love. Love can make you feel horrible and it'll just keep pushing itself on you until you want nothing more than peice of mind. no matter how hard you try you cant avoid the gap that comes back to haunt you. sooner or later you give in and try and survive your way through it. You just have to wait till the wall around it is gone and then you can learn and expand from the trials of it. Isn't that what Tool's music is about? learning and expanding our mind? they give us the "tools" to expand and not rely on others for information. Rely on yourself to learn from yourself.

Inner_Eulogy
07-26-2010, 09:42 AM
To me its about love. Love can make you feel horrible and it'll just keep pushing itself on you until you want nothing more than peice of mind. no matter how hard you try you cant avoid the gap that comes back to haunt you. sooner or later you give in and try and survive your way through it. You just have to wait till the wall around it is gone and then you can learn and expand from the trials of it. Isn't that what Tool's music is about? learning and expanding our mind? they give us the "tools" to expand and not rely on others for information. Rely on yourself to learn from yourself.

Really? It's rather obvious that it's about a volatile relationship

forty-eight-and-two
07-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Really? It's rather obvious that it's about a volatile relationship

Well that was just my interpretation of it but i do agree with you.

Pushit is about emotional, mental and possibly even physical abuse within a relationship. That's beyond obvious.

Yes it is. Anybody that has listened to song and have heard the lyrics could pick that up pretty quick.

Inner_Eulogy
07-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Yet you just stated that it was about love...*shakes head*

forty-eight-and-two
07-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Yet you just stated that it was about love...*shakes head*

No. I stated that that was "my interpretation" of the song. the meaning you stated is more than likely the "actual" meaning of the song

Inner_Eulogy
07-28-2010, 09:50 AM
No. I stated that that was "my interpretation" of the song. the meaning you stated is more than likely the "actual" meaning of the song

Fair enough

forty-eight-and-two
07-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Fair enough

Indeed.