PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Opiate

machghostine
09-28-2003, 12:05 PM
This is perhaps one of Tools most amazing songs.
Wether or not it is intended I find four different perspectives that this song is written from.
First could be as stated by another thread the Priest/Minister perspective.
Second could be Maynord speaking to his Mother much like in Judith (APC).
Third could be a general statement to the "heard" , those individuals who need a crutch as they cant think forthemselves.
And of course the Fourth could be Maynord speaking to his fans, or fans of other bands etc, which makes since because he seems to have a very tongue in cheek sense of humor concerning the band being considered rock gods and other idol worship bullshit like that. So if your reading this and looking to Tool to fill your life with meaning , sorry they (Tool) dosent want that, or do they?
<wicked grin>

neochrist
09-29-2003, 02:49 PM
i dont think this song would be to tool fans telling them not to worship, because when this ep came out, tool wasnt that popular, certainly not as popular as they are now, i mean they were only third stage starting out on lollapaloza

J_U_D_I_T_H
10-22-2003, 11:01 AM
I don't really think this has anything to do with Tool's fans or even music in general. This is from a very early time in Tool's carreer when they were not a fully evolved band so this song probably does not have any deeper meaning than what the lyrics suggest - look at the lyrics to hush and Jerk Off too, neither of those songs have particularly deep meanings beneath the lyrics, they simply mean what they suggest and so the lyrics to this song probably mean what they say too - as it should be obvious, Tool's music and lyrics were driven mainly on anger and so this is probably just an angry attack on christianity. And plus Tool DO NOT suggest that they do not want to fill people's lives with meaning, one of Maynard's dreams is that someone will be inspired by Tool and go and do something great, read the feckin article on the intro to the opinions section!

AllforUnity
10-23-2003, 06:47 AM
Well, l don't see it as not having a meaning so much as a song that expresses the meaning in an easier way to understand it...like in the whole album of Opiate, Maynard is using less metaphorical termology and such.