PDA

View Full Version : Lucifer's Lament

AsproClear
12-08-2002, 07:05 PM
I realise that this is not the real meaning behind the song, but i just thought it would be interesting to hear some comments on it.

It was whilst intoxicated that the idea dawned on me (as they often do) that Reflection is about the fall of Lucifer. The first thing that triggered the idea was the pulsating rythm at the start of the song that reminded me of the movement of a snake across the earth.

The effects that Maynard uses for his vocals in the first and second verse sounded very serpent-like too (at least to my ears - in the state i was in). The lyrics seemed to tell of the lament (or reflection) of Lucifer, after his unsuccessfull revolt against God, and being cast down to Earth. "I have come curiously close to the end, down, Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole, Defeated I, Concede and, Move closer, I may find comfort here, I may find peace within the emptiness, How pitiful,"

"It's calling me" made me wonder whether Lucifer has actually ever felt remorse for what he did and whether he has ever longed for redemption or forgiveness from God.

The part of the second verse that goes "As full and bright as I am, This light is not my own, A million light reflections, Pass over me," may refer to the realisation that Lucifer (sometimes referred to as the Morning Star - or Bringer of Light) has made regarding his feelings towards God. After revolting against God out of jealousy and a desire to rule heaven, he has realised that the light/power he held was given to him by God in the first place.

"As I pull my head out, I am without one doubt, Don't want to be down here..etc...Must crucify the ego, Before it's far too late, I pray the Light lifts me out, Before I pine away" He must eliminate the 'ego' and feelings of superiority and narcissism that led to his original revolt before he pines away, and he 'Prays' to the source of the Light (God) to lift him out.

At this point (the third verse), the narration of the song shifts from first person (I) to third person (WE). What's strange also, is that the effects on the vocals also disappear to leave Maynard's 'human' voice singing. Perhaps the last verse of the song is spoken on behalf of 'Man' or humans. It may be a type of warning to man not to think like Lucifer did ("so crucify the ego, before it's far too late")or the same fate will follow.

It's just a thought that seemed to explain the change in vocals and direction of the lyrics. Remember, I was off my tree so don't be too harsh!!!

fleshymonster
12-08-2002, 07:41 PM
i have to admit thats prety fucking imaginative. the kind of stuff i really like to read. i never really thought of the song like that but im now that ive read it i can almost hear it the way you describe. thanks for the refreshing perspective on one of my favorite songs.

personally i always thought of it as a song about spirituality in general not particullarly any type just finding and loving god in your own way.... the best way.

AsproClear
12-08-2002, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback Fleshymonster!

Just thought i'd add a couple of things:

Reflection could refer to Lucifer 'reflecting' on his deeds, or pure evil being a 'reflection' of pure good (the whole 'to believe in god is to believe in the devil' or 'with the existence of good there must be evil' thing). The reference to narcissism that Maynard uses makes me think about the character of Narcissus in Greek Mythology who would constantly peer into his own reflection and admire himself. This ultimately lead to his demise. Perhaps Lucifer was caught up with his own reflection in the same way as Narcissus, and is now attempting to look at himself in a true light.

TheHollow
12-09-2002, 02:22 PM
hey White Clear!
I really liked your theological analysis and it makes perfect sense!

The "we" part, could indeed be what us humans could do in order to be redeemed. Through understanding that arrogance stops us from progressing, we can redeem ourselves from the Original Sin and reach The Divine!

Mavro hazy