PDA

View Full Version : This Song is about Sharing

JamesPr
09-12-2008, 09:04 PM
“has enough to go around?
Plenty in this holy garden.”

The garden refers to the Earth. Adam and Eve were the first humans. They were in the Garden of Eden. Maynard may be making a claim that the Earth is in fact Eden. I would agree with this statement. On Eden (Or Earth) there are enough resources for everyone.

“Divide right in two”

I interpret this lyric as what is shared is mutually broken into ownership by two people. They cannot share, so they divide their possessions (Of Earth) into two.

“Monkey killing monkey killing monkey
over pieces of the ground.”

The pieces of the ground are Earthly possessions. People kill each other over oil, gold, wealth, and other resources. This has happened all throughout history.

“give them thumbs they make a club
and beat their brother down.”

Human hands are good for building wonderful cities or they can build weapons to murder others.

“Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability
to live tonight in heaven,
conscious of his fleeting time here.”

Heaven is bliss, harmony, and peace after death. People are trading their souls for Earthly possessions. Maynard may also be referring to heaven as warm reception of others after you die. What mark did you leave behind in your lives? An example of someone who left a good mark is Albert Einstein.

Matthew 6:19
[ Treasures in Heaven ] "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

This passage correlates to the heaven part of Maynard’s lyrics. Why do you attempt to gather possessions, when they’re only going to rot once you die?

Maynard refers to humans as silly monkeys because we have not evolved past our animalistic tendencies if we cannot overcome our desire to take.

Inner_Eulogy
09-16-2008, 12:22 PM
“has enough to go around?
Plenty in this holy garden.”

The garden refers to the Earth. Adam and Eve were the first humans. They were in the Garden of Eden. Maynard may be making a claim that the Earth is in fact Eden. I would agree with this statement. On Eden (Or Earth) there are enough resources for everyone.

“Divide right in two”

I interpret this lyric as what is shared is mutually broken into ownership by two people. They cannot share, so they divide their possessions (Of Earth) into two.

“Monkey killing monkey killing monkey
over pieces of the ground.”

The pieces of the ground are Earthly possessions. People kill each other over oil, gold, wealth, and other resources. This has happened all throughout history.

“give them thumbs they make a club
and beat their brother down.”

Human hands are good for building wonderful cities or they can build weapons to murder others.

“Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability
to live tonight in heaven,
conscious of his fleeting time here.”

Heaven is bliss, harmony, and peace after death. People are trading their souls for Earthly possessions. Maynard may also be referring to heaven as warm reception of others after you die. What mark did you leave behind in your lives? An example of someone who left a good mark is Albert Einstein.

Matthew 6:19
[ Treasures in Heaven ] "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

This passage correlates to the heaven part of Maynard’s lyrics. Why do you attempt to gather possessions, when they’re only going to rot once you die?

Maynard refers to humans as silly monkeys because we have not evolved past our animalistic tendencies if we cannot overcome our desire to take.

Very well put. I've always had this same perception of the song, just never bothered to word it out.

Inner_Eulogy
05-21-2009, 06:33 AM
My own interpretion of this song is similar to many of your views posted. I truly believe the whole "right in two" is actually refering more specfically to our connenction to eachother. We are dividing ourselves from others, becoming disconnected from others. Such disconnection is what leads to our collective demise. Our suffering, our igorance, our hatred and Greed these cut us off from true growth and love for one another.

I suppose you could look at it in an intangible and a tangible context at the same time.