PDA

View Full Version : Opinion's on pickups

seeyouauntie
09-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Im thinking about replacing my stock humbuckers for some EMG 81/85 (zackk wylde set) im not getting them because "ooh zackk plays them". I was looking for pickups awhile back and alot of people play them and highly recommend them. Does anyone use these pickups? how hard is it to wire them yourself?

holy reality
09-26-2003, 02:44 PM
i'm not sure

my pickup was fucked up when my new guitar got here, so i took it out.. and... after much trial and error, figured out how to put it back in correctly

a monkey could have probably figured it out faster than me, but considering it only took about an hour... or less.... that's not so bad....

so.... wiring... that.... would be harder... i think you have to solder stuff, or something.... and...

on my LP, there is no back panel to take off, so it would be real hard to grab the wires if you somehow lose them or disconnect them...

so i really don't know...

GernBlanston
10-02-2003, 01:13 AM
ya, what kind of guitar do you have? i've completely disassembled my strat to see how the pickups were wired and its really not too evil looking. theres basically two wires going into each pickup (single coil. there might be four wires for humbuckers, but i'd guess not).

you'll probably need a soldering iron to make the contacts, and i would suggest checking EMG's website to see if there is any special wiring that needs to be done. otherwise, i'd just snip off your existing pickups, and connect them to the new ones.

i've never replaced my pickups, so i'm definitely not an expert, but thats what i would do to my guitar.

mesa-b
10-02-2003, 03:37 PM
go to www.seymourduncan.com and they have wiring diagrams for pretty much any pickup configuration you can imagine,

I replaced a single coil with a humbucker and took my tone knobs out of the circuit for a brighter tone (used a diagram) and it was pretty damn easy. As long as you can use a soldering iron you should be ok.

The only thing that happened to me was the 5-way switch I had in there was fucked up and didn't look like the one in the diagrams, but i bought a new one and all was well.

Yea good luck with the mods

Later
-James