PDA

View Full Version : Guitar?

nickknocker
12-08-2002, 12:06 AM
Alright, I'm not sure if anyone has already said this, but does anyone know how to play this awesome song on the guitar? Theres a lot of effects and I'm not great at discerning which is which, so any help would greatly appreciated! I guess thats all for now...

LazyE462
12-29-2002, 03:44 PM
Good luck man, maybe you should email Adam and toolband.com hehe

nickknocker
12-30-2002, 02:42 PM
yeah...i only recently got an electric guitar (Xmas), and ive been borrowing/sharing with my friends for a while...so ill be able to pratice a lot more now (Ha, it'll be a loooong road for this song though)

neveragain
12-31-2002, 06:50 AM
It's quite e-z ya'll obviously the root note is D, Adam isn't really using a structured riff per say in this one. Justin is blasting D's left and right mixing in a few F's, and C's. Adam is just playing with feedback from depressing notes in the D-minor penatonic scale, and sustaining them, plug into your electric and turn it up so it screams back at you with feedback, and start playing around with that scale. Alot of the other stuff heard is looped on a keyboard, and / or artificially generated, that is to say is not being played by Adam. Another good example of this is the song W.M.A. by Pearl Jam, try and you'll see.

neveragain
12-31-2002, 06:54 AM
Tremolo picking is used as well. If you don't want to turn your amp up too much play with the guitar facing the amp directly, a few inches away, so the sound will ping pong from speaker to pick up. enjoy.

nickknocker
01-05-2003, 12:39 PM
ok, i'll try that, thanks so much! I did notice that a lot is either keyboard or audio samples, and i was just trying to discern what was what, but that does help

seraph
01-08-2003, 11:03 AM
ok nickknocker......i guess since u just got ur guitar u may not have a delay pedal (good investment though) but thats alright youll get the 'main idea' for this one part in Merkaba.....youll know which part when u try it

1. so to start, take your pick-up selector switch and flip it straight down i.e. away from you

2. amp on dirty channel, take the edge of your pick and tap lightly on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings in the areas between the bridge and where the neck starts

WARNING: Use carefully. Contents may prove to be fun

oh yeah and now you have your own electric guitar just break all the fuckin 'rules' and conventionality........EXPERIMENT

TV Remote, Pagers, Phones at the pickup or whatever +=)

nickknocker
01-11-2003, 10:48 PM
hehe, yeah i accidentally figured out the TV remote thing, but thanks for everything else, it sounds great!

pacifister
01-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Not that I know everything about Guitar but according to an article I read on this very site many trippy sounds Adam creates come from something called an epilady as well as the other things mentioned remotes, phones, etc.

Entropia
02-05-2003, 08:57 PM
Yeah adam uses an epilady on the song. It's a womans lady shaver that has a motor and he puts it on the pickups. He said he was influenced from Dave Navarro using a vibrator on his guitar strings to play a solo. That's how he gets the endless sustain sound, i hear he uses an E-Bow too. When i play the song i just mess around and try to come up with as much weird shit as possible.

fear + loathing
02-23-2003, 04:53 PM
wow, i wish i could play guitar but im a drummer........anyone know how to play the drum part for this one?!?!?!

arman
03-21-2003, 03:41 PM
learning guitar parts ius one thing, but as a drummer myself i find it more enjoyable to create my own drum parts rather then learn parts otrher people play in real sdongs, unless you're going to cover this with your own band

fear + loathing
04-30-2003, 04:34 PM
but its also fun to be able to play other songs and then you can learn from them!!!!

But merkaba is quite beyond my ability....haha