PDA

View Full Version : Which song hit you first?

trippletaurus
12-07-2002, 09:47 PM
If [like myself] after buying Lateralus you jumped in your car tearing the wrapper off with your teeth..shoved the CD in- and hit transport...then perhaps you also remember= driving nowhere...driving so you could just..Keep Listening!...then, Ticks comes on. You are already somewhere else and your ears are flattened. WHAT IS THIS! If anyone one the first listen was not engaged/repulsed/fascinated by this one song on the first listen to the CD...then, please tell me what song jumped out first?

Iknowyouwell
12-07-2002, 10:03 PM
The song that hit me first was definitely the patient....Which was probably due to the fact that it was track number 3, and therefore close to the beginning....but that was the first song that I heard that I KNEW this was album was special.

2lapcfan
12-08-2002, 07:32 AM
You know, I had very high expectations for this album, I think most people did. I, like everyone else, had waited a long time for a new album, although Salival was a nice pacifier, especially with the perfected version of Pushit and No Quarter. I listened to Schism on the net before it was released and really had mixed feelings about it and wasn't overall impressed with it. I went to one of the midnight sales to get the album and I think The Grudge, maybe by virtue of being first, left me a little more confident that the album was going to be good. But I was also drunk, so that played a role in how I felt as well. But overall it took a little time for the album to grow on me. I didn't have that kneejerk response that this was going to live up to my expectations. Now when Mer De Noms came out, I had low expectations of it, but I knew it was good as soon as I popped it in and listened to The Hollow and every hair on my body stood on end. Needless to say, Lateralus has lived up to my expectations, I just didn't have that initial reaction like I did with Mer De Noms.

rickiep00h
12-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Hm... I think that the crescendo from Parbol to Parabola is what did it to me. They have such terrific dynamic senses... it's quite good. I got Lateralus as I was just coming into a prog discovery that albums can be whole units rather than a collection of songs, so I was sorta looking for good songs first, and the first thing I liked was Schism. I never really liked the Grudge until I saw it live, and now I love it... I don't know.

That really wasn't a good answer.

Penguin
12-09-2002, 09:26 PM
Hm.. I first heard Parabol/Parabola.. so that was probably it.. then The Grudge got me.

hateandvaseline
12-14-2002, 07:24 AM
Disposition, it's so soothing and soft. It opens up my mind so I can 'reflect'.

luketheduke06
12-18-2002, 08:23 AM
i think the first song that hit me WAS ticks and leeches. the very next day at class i was talking about it with friends. and pretty much all of them agreed ticks and leeches was the best song. but after constant playing for about a week, the love for t and l faded and one by one i started to embrace all of the other songs...first was the grudge, then parabol/a and then lateralus...until the whole album was a....part of me....

SonOfWillieTheP
12-29-2002, 05:17 PM
The Grudge, immediately.
Especially the parts where the bass drum accellerates and the stop-start rhythm in the middle part of the song.
Terrific!!!!

Misanthrope
12-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Yes Ticks And Leeches was the first song that really hit me. Maybe it was because it was more ?simplistic? than the other songs on the album, hmm, simplistic probably isn't the best word, but I use it because my vocabulary lacks a word more fitting, it was the song that I understood and identified with straight away. The lyrics and meaning in this song (To me) are far more straight-forward than most of the other songs.

IrisoftheShadow
12-29-2002, 10:57 PM
It has to definitely be The Patient. However, schism was the first song I heard on the album on account of that I heard it on the radio. I wasn't a Tool fan and listening to schism persuaded me to buy the album. I loved schism, so I hoped that Tool would not fail me the other 12 songs on the album. I'll be honest though. I wasn't really impressed with Lateralus the first time I heard it. And apparently, I wasn't alone. A few people I know were disappointed the first time they heard the album. I practically only liked The Grudge and Schism. But after listening to it, it was the one of the greatest albums I have ever heard. Now, the songs that stick out to me is The Patient, Lateralus, and Reflection.

Christopher
12-30-2002, 07:53 PM
This was my first Tool album, I had not heard them before because i dont listen to the radio and i dont pirate music. They always seemed like the mysterious band the odd kids loved. So i pu it in, and it didnt seem awsome at first. I was also any other pop rock kid at the time. I didn't know how to appreciate music. So when i was driving somewhere and had my headphones on (all music clicks for me when headphones are on because ou can hear the detail of it) and i was listening to the end of Lateralus,..................HOLY ****. I went to beginning and for the first time i really listened and everything just became more and more amazing.

Torpid_Prey
01-10-2003, 05:39 PM
they hardly ever play tool on the radio, ive heard sober on there once. that inspired me to get undertow. my brother got Ænima and i hated it. i thought they were too strange and i thought it was like techno or something. yea i was pretty dumb and young then. but then about a year later, i just had a strange song in my head, on my way to school. i just couldnt pick it, i didnt even know who sung it. i eventually somehow remembered it aws a tool song, so i took my brothers cd and listened for that song. it was eulogy. i got the words, and i then thought it was the best song ive heard in a long time. after that i listened to Æ for over 15 months straight.

when i got lateralus, i heard a lot of ppl saying that schism was a fantasic song, so naturally i listened to it first. i was disappointed. but i have to admit, after i heard it a few times i actually started to enjoy it more and more cuz i could understand more of the lyrics. im like that with a lot of songs. anyway, the first song i thought was magnificent on lateralus, would have to be either lateralus or parabola.

after all this inspiration, i got the lateralus bass tab off this site and learnt all the songs i could. including the patient, lateralus, reflection, disposition, some of schism, triad and the intro of the grudge but that song is damn hard!

maybe i need better tab of it or something - the tab i got is a little hard to recognise.

«---- '][' ø r p î d ]? r ê ÿ ----»

PilotCorsair
01-11-2003, 11:11 PM
I was scared at first to listen to the Lateralus cd due to my large expectations of the cd since Ænima, Undertow, and Opiate built tool so much in my mind. but i was blown away, surpassed my expectations.

But! the thing that grabed me first about the new cd wasn't any of the songs but he fact that when you remove the cd, you can see strait through the cd. The whole case book was one giant picture. i loved it, brought it to school showed everyone as fisherman do with that prise fish they caught and mounted on the wall.

In terms of songs though i'd have to say ticks and leaches just because it was so different from the rest of the cd.

Cronos
01-12-2003, 08:23 PM
To be honest I downloaded the majority of the songs, what really hit me was The Patient, I heard Schism before so I remembered it, I like teh guitar parts.

I liked so many songs I decided to buy it, I was just so amazed that I liked that many songs. I never buy cd's, ever. Bands make one good single, and the rest of the cd sucks. Lateralus was my first Tool cd, I had burned a cd full of my favorite Tool songs, many of them were from Lateralus.

Amazingly, I didn't really LOVE Lateralus, and The Grudge, at first I didn't really like The Grudge, and hardly listened to it, I give it chances though. I liked Parabola, a little bit, but I just loved The Patient, Schism, Ticks and Leeches just really grew onto me, and then Reflection became a favorite of mine too. I couldn't get enough of the "Before we pine away."

From the downloads what truly hit me first was probably The Patient, I liked the chorus at the end, that plays "I must keep reminding myself of this." into there as well. I liked the lyrics to the songs, and especially this one.

When I got the cd, at first, I guess it all didn't hit me like it may have been for other people, I know for some people just like me it was tough to take it all in. But I realized you truly have to listen to the whole cd in it's entirety, can't skip through to favorites to really appreciate this cd's quality.

It also helps to understand music. I don't understand a lot, but I know this band is more talented than most of the other crap out there.

Also, I have all the Tool cd's now, but the Salival. I can't find it anywhere, and it's 100+ dollars on ebay. Someone help me with this, could I order it from a store, I think it is limited addition, but if I could, how much is it going to cost?

Ahnijson_films
01-13-2003, 09:56 PM
You can order Salival on Amazon.com for $100+. Unfortunately, it was limited edition, and stopped being printed awhile ago. I don't have the $100 to drop, so I have a burned copy of it (as unethical as that may be, I'm sure they can live without my $100).

Here's my suggestion, because it is ridiculously worth a lot of effort to get. Either A)Go on Kazaa. It's like the newest version of Napster, and all of the songs are on there. It is illegal and horrible and we should all be shot and killed for pirating music. But then again, we should all be shot and killed for most of the horrible things we do. OR B) go to your local (I don't know if you live near a big city or not) small record stores and you may find it there. We have a few here in Houston and I occasionally see TooL stuff at them.
Good Luck.