PDA

View Full Version : Help me please

dissonance51765
09-23-2003, 07:57 PM
I have to do an analysis of a song that has any references to ideas of Apocalypse for school, and I chose this song. If all you intelligent, third-eye opened listeners out there could give me some input, it would really help. Not only will I have to describe the Apocalyptic meanings of the song, but just the music in general. It's kind of hard to describe in words what a song "sounds" like, so any help with verbal interpretations of the intrumentals would rule.

(Btw, I have already read most of this section of the forum, so don't think I'm just milking you for information because I'm too lazy to sift through everything.)

JTCrace
09-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Maynard does not normally do anything without strong intention. The growls at the beginning of the tune really convey the entire message of the song: a return to the ground, to the primitive, to the feminine principle. A return to a time when people were connected to each other and their physical environment. Our society is built on the principle of perfection, which is a characteristic of a patriarchy. However a matriarchy is based upon the principle of wholeness. Maynard seems to be calling for a return to matriarchy.

The word apocalypse is drawn from a Greek word meaning "unveiling," "disclosure" or "revelation." So you should probably ask yourself what Maynard is attemping to reveal with this tune?

Do not forget to consult the video for the tune as well; like you'll see a lizard that has another head instead of a tail. This symbolizes the lack of wholeness in our society because a Ouroboros, the serpent that consumes its own tail, is a symbol for wholeness. And also, there is the guy who straps himself to the electrical generator/big fucking steel dildo--the error of a patriarchy.

There are also some obvious connections to Noah's Ark, i.e. water, flooding, death, destruction.

This sounds like a fucking interesting fun assignement, Lord knows I don't get those too often at school. You should blow your teacher and your class away with this assignement. Change their lives with it. They are probably praying for it.

philosophomore
09-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Something related to this topic occured to me awhile back. The choice of water as the force that destroys the city (and on a deeper level, our entire culture) could be a symbolic reference to the looming Age of Aquarius (name meaning the Water-Bringer), which is slated to begin on December 21st, 2012; which happens to be the date forecast by the ancient Mayan Calendar (among several other sources- Terrance McKenna's Novelty Theory and the Bible Code for example) as the end of the world, or of mankind, or someshit like that.

I imagine that the members of Tool have heard of the "prophesies" concerning the significance of this date, though I don't know how much credibility they would ascribe to them. That's not really my point though.

I don't know if the choice of water as the apocalyptic medium was an intentional allusion to the imminent Age of Aquarius, or if this is yet another synchronistic coincidence with Tool's music, but it really blew me away when the connection came to me.

I know that this doesn't have anything to do w/ lyrical descriptions of the sonic imagery of the song, but I have never seen any posts about this and I thought it might be something you could put in your paper.

Good Luck-- it does sound like a pretty cool assignment.

FUCK THE EYE
10-14-2003, 04:02 AM
www.sitchen.com

radmanics
10-21-2003, 08:46 AM
Tool are (or were before their original bassist left) reportidly Lachrymologists, meaning that they believe in improving and growing one's self through pain and crying. There are many sites which show how this is brought out in their songs, such as Flood and Aenema, so I suggest looking into this.