PDA

View Full Version : just wanted to say

bassopotamus
12-07-2002, 11:59 AM
i just wanted to say that this has become one of my favorite songs from any group. beautiful, inspiring, enlightening, etc. Tool really nail it on the head with Reflection. I walked away from catholicism because it is such a ritualistic, dogmatic, closed- minded nightmare. My own personal spirituality emerged afterwards and my life has been better spent ever since. its just a matter of keeping your mind open to accept the truth that is present right in front of you every day. people say 'holy' communion gives you spritual strength. well, i think holy communion is a placebo, and that this strength is already inside you. people dont believe it and need something to give them a push. anyhow, im straying from the original thought... reflection is, in my opinion, the best song on the album. thanks, tool.

preacher
12-18-2002, 10:31 AM
"i think holy communion is a placebo"

I think organized religion is a placebo =)

IrisoftheShadow
12-27-2002, 12:15 AM
I always believed that some people desperately clutch on to religion to fit their own needs. To have beliefs in an intangible God that will promise endless, boundless, and unconditional love, and promises Heavens of infinite possibilities is illogical, but it gives people a sense of hope. It's true that people often see things they want to see; hear things they want to hear; and remember things they want to remember. Consequently, people will believe things they want to believe. That's why people often believe so strongly in miracles, because it gives them a sense of optimism that an unexplainable, yet incredible source is out there. Seeing a distorted image of Jesus Christ on the side of 7-11, gives people a sense of hope. They see what they want to see, instead of realizng that the image is nothing other than someone taking a piss on the wall the night before. Or how the holy communion can serve as a placebo. People think they're gettng spritiual strength. If people didn't have their religion, they would be lost. Without a God to guide them, and take care of them, people have to take responsibility for ALL of their actions, rather than asking for everything in prayer.