PDA

View Full Version : Metaphor

Peon
12-06-2002, 06:55 PM
I see all these threads about religeon but if we dig deeper (to the title), we can see an obvious message of drug abuse\addiction. When someone is broken, often they turn to drugs (faith can heal you) but soon after the drugs take control. Then the drug pushes to the brink of death but your head has become so full of delusions, that you think that drugs can help you out of this.

jpmanson
12-07-2002, 12:46 AM
hmmm, i used to think that almost all of tool's songs were about sex and drug use, but after a while i realized that i was just obsessed wth sex and drugs.

i must ask you, do you use drugs? are you addicted to anything? is something you need controling the way you interpret things?

no offence intended, but i think that people have a tendancy to atribute their own personal experiences to the things that they read/see/hear..

Peon
12-07-2002, 08:01 AM
Not currently, not ever since i read The Art of Happiness. Pleasure leads only to the want of more pleasure, never contentment.

OpiAtE_666
12-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Tool has stated before that the title "Opiate" refers to the Karl Marx quote: "Religion is the opiate of the masses" meaning that a religious person closes there mind and is basically "addicted" to their own ignorance.

Spoon
12-28-2002, 06:01 PM
Opiate:

Inducing sleep or sedation; soporific
Causing dullness or apathy; deadening.
Something that dulls the senses and induces relaxation or torpor.

You could certainly apply these things to religion. Not FAITH - Religion. There is a major difference.

Mouse
07-28-2003, 08:03 AM
Tool has stated before that the title "Opiate" refers to the Karl Marx quote: "Religion is the opiate of the masses" meaning that a religious person closes there mind and is basically "addicted" to their own ignorance.

Just because someone has a religion, does not mean they are ignorant.

UncnciousShadow
08-08-2003, 07:00 AM
I dont believe "Opiate" is about drugs....more about Maynards thoughts on religion and preaching. Possibly how religion "dulls us".... "takes control of our lives"..... shit like that.

"When someone is broken, often they turn to drugs (faith can heal you) but soon after the drugs take control. "

That was a great statement.....just replace "drugs" with "religion"