PDA

View Full Version : Rosette Stoned a Direct Insult

mikec2289
06-28-2008, 07:40 PM
I hope no one has ever thought of this before me, but has anyone considered the possibility that...

We are "Rosetta"

It is our job to decipher, obtain, record, and pass on the message we receive from Tool's songs, much like the rosetta stone gave us the abliity to decipher the meaning of ancient texts.

However, this song is entitled "Rosetta Stoned". The character in the song cannot "deliver the message'; their brain is fried and they are incapable of interpreting and passing on the message; they didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school, and they later tear themself apart over the fact that they forgot their pen.

Perhaps Maynard is commenting on Tool's fans excessive association of drug use in relation to "connecting" to the band's music; if we all take too much Acid and shrooms and DMT and then smoke a bowl of salvia and herb at the same time while trying to obtain the true meaning Tool is trying to convey, then we are STONED and FORGETTING OUR PEN.

This drug association to Tool's music is unfortunately extremely "TYPICAL" amont fans, and I am often perfectly described as "Strapped down in my bed feet cold and eyes red" after I smoke and put on 10,000 days as I fall asleep. I don't shit the bed, however.

Basically, if the person who created the Rosetta Stone was trippin' their fuckin ass off on a psychedelic they would never have created/gave the world something incredibly amazing. Maynard is worried that his fans are missing out on something incredibly inspirational, motivational, and spiritually uplifting because we are all to fucked up to see the real picture. He hates to be categorized as a druggie or a junkie "fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories"; he wants to see a more enlightened fan base. I recall reading that he thinks our interpretations are WAY OFF, and seeing as though he has been selling us his writings for many years, I could see how this miscontruing of his greatest works could piss him off and result in a Tool Fan Junkie Diss Song.

Just a thought.

dxs
06-28-2008, 07:53 PM
A pretty long thought, but a fairly fun read.

I've heard things similar to your context, though you do have a thought of your own.

I however, disagree that it is our JOB to actually interpret Tool.
Everyone's interpretation of it is different, thus, the things they learn from it, and the decisions they may someday derive from it, vary on person to person.

However, thank you for your insight.

mikec2289
06-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I would agree with you that its not our JOB, and that our own interpretations are more USEFUL to ourselves because they actually pertain to our lives, but I actually think it is fun to try to guess exactly what Maynard is talking about, because he is so intriguing and mysterious and vague. Many of us would love to somehow be able to KNOW exactly what he MEANS in 100% clear cut detail, which is what I am speculating about for giggles and also shits in this post.

MyshadowHASchanged
07-01-2008, 10:49 PM
I enjoyed reading this, as I hold some of it to be true or atleast the way I often depict this song. But everytime I listen to it I notice something new for me. It always drastically stands out.

And as I sit here now and listen to it and slowly drift asleep (I am a man who does not do drugs but loves the thinking process), I try to understand it as it reaches my favorite verse "Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position..."

Maybe this song is more about how one carres their beliefs. Having beliefs is part of every persons character. You either believe it or you do not. But those beliefs can help not only to shape your life but help you to choose what paths you will lead in your future.

dxs
07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
And as I sit here now and listen to it and slowly drift asleep (I am a man who does not do drugs but loves the thinking process), I try to understand it as it reaches my favorite verse "Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position..."

Yeah, I don't really do the acid and stuff either---I just using my mind without upgrades of any sort---makes me more open to opinions and viewpoints, so I'd like to pass boundaries as things are.

If you can get this stuff without opening your "third eye", you got some skill, you know?

MyshadowHASchanged
07-02-2008, 11:18 PM
If you can get this stuff without opening your "third eye", you got some skill, you know?

Yeah but it is not easy. Like I said I love the thinking process and at times how the mid works.

At work I get a ton of jokes by coworkers heckling me and asking me if I worship Satan, because they assume as soon as they hear my music (and 9 outta 10 times I have Tool on), they think it is differen and aweful because it is against the grain, or different. I don't want to play "follow the leader" and listen to stupid rap/hip hop like they do. I almost take pride in them making fun of me because I know that there is a thought process behind what I am listening to, one they obviously don't care enough to acknowledge.

Music is more than just words put together. It is thought which gets convoluted and lost on its way out.

Th@ Guy
07-03-2008, 04:03 AM
I see what you mean and half agree, but i dont think that us (the fans) are that intrinsic to their creative process, sure we might cause a reaction but i doubt that the band would be that up for a giant diss.

This did remind me of the first time i watched Nathan Barley (Chris Morris tv show) which i felt was a similar insult to his fans as he seemed to be suggesting that his fans all got the wrong end of the stick and that he though of us as "The Idiots"

Chris Morris was the mastermind behind Brass Eye, The Day Today and Jam if your unaware

dxs
07-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah but it is not easy. Like I said I love the thinking process and at times how the mid works.

At work I get a ton of jokes by coworkers heckling me and asking me if I worship Satan, because they assume as soon as they hear my music (and 9 outta 10 times I have Tool on), they think it is differen and aweful because it is against the grain, or different. I don't want to play "follow the leader" and listen to stupid rap/hip hop like they do. I almost take pride in them making fun of me because I know that there is a thought process behind what I am listening to, one they obviously don't care enough to acknowledge.

Music is more than just words put together. It is thought which gets convoluted and lost on its way out.

You can tell when people are shallow, and that's when they make retarded comments about music.

I used to think that way, but with time, I tried to think through their viewpoint.
What did they like about their music?

The beat was appealing from time to time, and I've learned to bear through hip-hop and rap. I have very good friends who like the music, and making assumptions about their music being stupid would simply be returning an unwanted favor.

I try to be open to things in order to develop as a person.
Though it may seem pointless, it's what gets you places.

MyshadowHASchanged
07-03-2008, 08:53 PM
What did they like about their music?

I am not quite sure as to what they like about their music. It seems to be the smoothness and the speed to it which coincides nicely with the beat. That is just more from what I get from their moods though.

I try to open my mind to others music and it is rare that I will not give it atleast a chance. If I do not like it then I will normally still respect it. To say I never make fun of someone else's music is absurd because, honestly who doesn't?

I like all sorts of music. Broadening horizons is something that defines who I am (thats why I am quite the friendly person). I don't like one specific thing but many. Variety is the spice of life.

Inner_Eulogy
07-07-2008, 05:18 AM

It's interesting that so many Tool fans seem to be so narrow in their music selection. Or at least they all think Rap/Hip Hop sucks I find. In case nobody ever stopped to think about it, even Maynard likes rap. Heard his Puscifer remixes lately?

dxs
07-07-2008, 09:29 AM
It's interesting that so many Tool fans seem to be so narrow in their music selection. Or at least they all think Rap/Hip Hop sucks I find. In case nobody ever stopped to think about it, even Maynard likes rap. Heard his Puscifer remixes lately?

My response to his opinion on Rap and Hip-Hop was slightly double-edged.

I think it's also why certain people think Puscifer is bull.

Rap is just like rock.
You have to find the good stuff---even though the genre teems with stupid, crappy musicians.
It's in every genre.

dxs
07-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I just noticed this too, but isn't "rosetta" spelt wrong on the thread title?

Inner_Eulogy
07-07-2008, 09:40 AM
My response to his opinion on Rap and Hip-Hop was slightly double-edged.

I think it's also why certain people think Puscifer is bull.

Rap is just like rock.
You have to find the good stuff---even though the genre teems with stupid, crappy musicians.
It's in every genre.

Exactly

Inner_Eulogy
07-07-2008, 09:41 AM
I just noticed this too, but isn't "rosetta" spelt wrong on the thread title?

Sure is.....homeboy must've been homeschooled by hippie parents.

dxs
07-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Haha, I bet it was just a typo.

I once knew this guy named Freedom with hippie parents.

theamazingtool
07-07-2008, 06:17 PM
haha, i know two kids, harley and chevy, both with REDNECK fucking parents

Inner_Eulogy
07-08-2008, 05:14 AM

No wonder you're not very bright

dxs
07-08-2008, 10:12 AM

YOUR kids, I'm assuming?

Yast3r
07-08-2008, 11:41 AM
To the rap thing, I've grown out of rap music. When I was in grade 6-8 I was a rap fanatic. I mean... I owned all the Doctor Dre albums, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, you name it, I had it. Then once I discovered good music, I quickly dropped from the rap scene and have ever since looked down on it in a very negative light.

I find that it tries to personify itself as urban or 'gangster' and it just really pisses me off. Kanye West is an exception to modern rap--or at least one that I've come across since distancing myself from all rap music. But still, he does nothing for me that'd make me want to download any of his albums or pay for his music.

Rock just has much more variety and a plethora of bands that are breaking the trends and being unique. It may be ignorant for me to feel this way, but it's almost impossible not to have this outlook with 50 cent jammed down our throats. :P

Inner_Eulogy
07-08-2008, 12:18 PM
To the rap thing, I've grown out of rap music. When I was in grade 6-8 I was a rap fanatic. I mean... I owned all the Doctor Dre albums, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, you name it, I had it. Then once I discovered good music, I quickly dropped from the rap scene and have ever since looked down on it in a very negative light.

I find that it tries to personify itself as urban or 'gangster' and it just really pisses me off. Kanye West is an exception to modern rap--or at least one that I've come across since distancing myself from all rap music. But still, he does nothing for me that'd make me want to download any of his albums or pay for his music.

Rock just has much more variety and a plethora of bands that are breaking the trends and being unique. It may be ignorant for me to feel this way, but it's almost impossible not to have this outlook with 50 cent jammed down our throats. :P

While Kanye may make some decent music, he's the biggest egotistical prick in the business.

parables in the world
07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I listen to the good Hip-Hop. To me, Rap is a style of expression like singing, poetry. The radio doesn't play the good stuff, cause its just that good, and explicit. Examples of good rappers are...

Immortal Technique
Jedi Mind Tricks
Talib Kweli

These guys are good at what they do, and good music is good music, no matter what the genre.

Inner_Eulogy
07-08-2008, 12:45 PM
I listen to the good Hip-Hop. To me, Rap is a style of expression like singing, poetry. The radio doesn't play the good stuff, cause its just that good, and explicit. Examples of good rappers are...

Immortal Technique
Jedi Mind Tricks
Talib Kweli

These guys are good at what they do, and good music is good music, no matter what the genre.

Never heard of 'em

theamazingtool
07-11-2008, 08:26 PM
No wonder you're not very bright

why is that? because i know some hicks?

theamazingtool
07-11-2008, 08:27 PM
YOUR kids, I'm assuming?

NOPE, i dont have kids. if i did, i would definetely name them kawasaki

10-26-2008, 11:45 AM
interesting thread, maybe

parables in the world
10-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Honestly, I think Rap is the most misunderstood Genre of music,

10-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Honestly, I think Rap is the most misunderstood Genre of music,

Hmm, why do you think that ?

gonzo
10-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Never heard of 'em

I've always liked stuff such as Tricky, Snoop Dog, Dr. Dre, and Tupac.
Also, when it comes on around here on shuffle, I don't mind Kenya, Ne-Yo, and Usher.
Last week, I wanted to hear Lil' Wayne. So I did.
And T.I.
It's all pretty cool.

gonzo
10-27-2008, 07:09 AM
I hope no one has ever thought of this before me, but has anyone considered the possibility that...

We are "Rosetta"

It is our job to decipher, obtain, record, and pass on the message we receive from Tool's songs, much like the rosetta stone gave us the abliity to decipher the meaning of ancient texts.

However, this song is entitled "Rosetta Stoned". The character in the song cannot "deliver the message'; their brain is fried and they are incapable of interpreting and passing on the message; they didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school, and they later tear themself apart over the fact that they forgot their pen.

Perhaps Maynard is commenting on Tool's fans excessive association of drug use in relation to "connecting" to the band's music; if we all take too much Acid and shrooms and DMT and then smoke a bowl of salvia and herb at the same time while trying to obtain the true meaning Tool is trying to convey, then we are STONED and FORGETTING OUR PEN.

This drug association to Tool's music is unfortunately extremely "TYPICAL" amont fans, and I am often perfectly described as "Strapped down in my bed feet cold and eyes red" after I smoke and put on 10,000 days as I fall asleep. I don't shit the bed, however.

Basically, if the person who created the Rosetta Stone was trippin' their fuckin ass off on a psychedelic they would never have created/gave the world something incredibly amazing. Maynard is worried that his fans are missing out on something incredibly inspirational, motivational, and spiritually uplifting because we are all to fucked up to see the real picture. He hates to be categorized as a druggie or a junkie "fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories"; he wants to see a more enlightened fan base. I recall reading that he thinks our interpretations are WAY OFF, and seeing as though he has been selling us his writings for many years, I could see how this miscontruing of his greatest works could piss him off and result in a Tool Fan Junkie Diss Song.

Just a thought.

We are not the Rosetta Stone. We are the Shadows.
We are looking for substance.
A balance of substance and style.
So in a way, we are shadow engineers.

Saint Albert Hoffman died last year on April 29th, 2008.
Nearly, 70 years after discovering lysergic acid diethylamide. LSD.
He discovered this on April 16, 1938, when he accidentally absorbed some through his finger tips. LSD-25 was born.
At the time, Albert worked for Sandoz Labs.
Eventually Sandoz Labs became Novartis, where Albert continued to be actively involved.
Novartis is reknowned worldwide. Look it up.
And until the end, Saint Albert swore that his invention was still a viable drug to be used in therapy. As of 2007, new experiments were and still are being planned using LSD-25. In the spirit of Huxley, Leary, and the godfather, Hoffman. In order to open the doors of perception in a research setting. Objective. Scientific. Not military.

So, this leads me to think that there is a giant schism between the thoughts of these aforementioned thinkers and the drug-addled retard portrayed in the song, Rosetta Stoned.
A grand-canyon chasm.
Taking numerous hits of LSD-25 and wandering around Area 51 on Sudafed just seems pretty Nucking Futs, if you know what I mean. Like dropping Sunshine to ride a subway in New York.
What's the point!
As opposed to gobbling one nice hit, sitting by a fire with friends, and watching your favorite movie; drawing a picture; writing a poem--and laughing about it later.
Even riding a bike.

Finally. For me. If Maynard is implying anything about finding meaning in the world, it seems the song is trying to push through stigmas. The stigma by the establishment to demonize drug use, with the exception of the pharmaceutical companies that fund and sedate the establishment. For me the song is asking me to look beyond the demonization of plants and their compounds to the truth behind the propaganda.

You see, Novartis is endorsed by governments all over the world.
The same company that is doing LSD testing.
Again. Is this the Pot that calls the Kettle black?

Inner_Eulogy
10-27-2008, 07:34 AM
You see, Novartis is endorsed by governments all over the world.The same company that is doing LSD testing. Again. Is this the Pot that calls the Kettle black?

That's the american government for ya

10-27-2008, 10:09 AM
We are not the Rosetta Stone. We are the Shadows.
We are looking for substance.
A balance of substance and style.
So in a way, we are shadow engineers.

Saint Albert Hoffman died last year on April 29th, 2008.
Nearly, 70 years after discovering lysergic acid diethylamide. LSD.
He discovered this on April 16, 1938, when he accidentally absorbed some through his finger tips. LSD-25 was born.
At the time, Albert worked for Sandoz Labs.
Eventually Sandoz Labs became Novartis, where Albert continued to be actively involved.
Novartis is reknowned worldwide. Look it up.
And until the end, Saint Albert swore that his invention was still a viable drug to be used in therapy. As of 2007, new experiments were and still are being planned using LSD-25. In the spirit of Huxley, Leary, and the godfather, Hoffman. In order to open the doors of perception in a research setting. Objective. Scientific. Not military.

So, this leads me to think that there is a giant schism between the thoughts of these aforementioned thinkers and the drug-addled retard portrayed in the song, Rosetta Stoned.
A grand-canyon chasm.
Taking numerous hits of LSD-25 and wandering around Area 51 on Sudafed just seems pretty Nucking Futs, if you know what I mean. Like dropping Sunshine to ride a subway in New York.
What's the point!
As opposed to gobbling one nice hit, sitting by a fire with friends, and watching your favorite movie; drawing a picture; writing a poem--and laughing about it later.
Even riding a bike.

Finally. For me. If Maynard is implying anything about finding meaning in the world, it seems the song is trying to push through stigmas. The stigma by the establishment to demonize drug use, with the exception of the pharmaceutical companies that fund and sedate the establishment. For me the song is asking me to look beyond the demonization of plants and their compounds to the truth behind the propaganda.

You see, Novartis is endorsed by governments all over the world.
The same company that is doing LSD testing.
Again. Is this the Pot that calls the Kettle black?

This is really interesting, good reply.

I got this thought, that maybe in order to decipher something or find somekind of truth, you can use some measures to ease the process. LSD for mind expansion (tm), alcohol for some other issue or any other substance for doing something. The thing is, when you forget what you were originally trying to do, and the focus is on the substance, instead of the original goal - you have got carried away and dont even remember what you were originally looking for.

It is another issue, what goals are reachable and what good does the substance actually do.

gonzo
10-27-2008, 10:14 AM
That's the american government for ya

Canadian, too.
I think they were sponsering the Conservative Government.

gonzo
10-27-2008, 10:22 AM

I got this thought, that maybe in order to decipher something or find somekind of truth, you can use some measures to ease the process. LSD for mind expansion (tm), alcohol for some other issue or any other substance for doing something. The thing is, when you forget what you were originally trying to do, and the focus is on the substance, instead of the original goal - you have got carried away and dont even remember what you were originally looking for.

It is another issue, what goals are reachable and what good does the substance actually do.

Try different paths, yes.
But not all at the same time and on the same frickin' day.
And drink plenty of water.
And furthermore, not all of us are wired the same way. So, what works for some does not work for all. Still, does not mean we can't search for alternate routes, better systems, and then have room for sustainable growth. Intelligently and objectively.
So in the end there is satiation, illumination, or deprivation.
I choose to juggle all three.

gonzo
10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Yet, still, my personal favorite cut is Jambi.
And I don't know why yet?
As I cast another stone...

gonzo
10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
One last thought.
You know, seriously, the irony conjured in Rosetta Stoned is precious and perfect.

10-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Try different paths, yes.
But not all at the same time and on the same frickin' day.
And drink plenty of water.
And furthermore, not all of us are wired the same way. So, what works for some does not work for all. Still, does not mean we can't search for alternate routes, better systems, and then have room for sustainable growth. Intelligently and objectively.
So in the end there is satiation, illumination, or deprivation.
I choose to juggle all three.

Hmm, I guess my point was it is good to search for different paths - everyone in their own way, however it might be easy to get sidetracked. And to be honest.

Inner_Eulogy
10-27-2008, 11:27 AM

I don't see a single positive thing that you can actually achieve with alcohol.....except, well social situations and getting laid...well ok, those are good things...but I don't think that's the context in which you meant it..SO I stand firm on my original remark

gonzo
10-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Hmm, I guess my point was it is good to search for different paths - everyone in their own way, however it might be easy to get sidetracked. And to be honest.

To be honest, I was sidetracked.
I was pondering my poor showing on the song Schism on my first run through Guitar Hero.
I was thinking I wanted to do better.