PDA

View Full Version : Stranglehold

ginbot462
12-06-2002, 03:58 PM
The song seems like a modern homage to the Ted Nugent song "Stranglehold" to me. I remember a live cover Tool did of "Stranglehold". And the themes match up. Not saying that he didn't add his own into or that this is all the song is. But, it had to factor in.

dan
12-07-2002, 01:28 AM
You hit this one right on the nose, so to speak--I do believe this is the song that actually contains Stranglehold lyrics, or at least a snippet of.

Meuterei
12-07-2002, 10:12 AM
Yup.

Right before the last chorus, Maynard sings, "Got you in a stranglehold now..."

I believe that's verbatim from Nugent...

thedave
12-12-2002, 10:47 AM
I've seen tool performe "stranglehold" live, in houston 98. I wonder why it didn't end up on the boxset? The two songs do represent the same sort of ideas about love, the mad, crazy, insane love. Sex and violence are intertwined in this song. Also the subject realizes that he's loosing control of the object. I think it's a good love gone bad sorta song. You know when both parties know it's dead, but carry on out of habit and fear of the unknown. Even though both sides might know it's over, someone gets upset when it all comes out. Maybe not though, maybe it's about anal sex?

originalwolfman
12-17-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by thedave
I think it's a good love gone bad sorta song. You know when both parties know it's dead, but carry on out of habit and fear of the unknown. Even though both sides might know it's over, someone gets upset when it all comes out. Maybe not though, maybe it's about anal sex?

I would tend to agree, my thought about this song (when I first heard it way back when) was that he said "IS this love" instead of "THIS is love". So although this is wrong, it works as well, because maybe the speaker is questioning the integrity of the now-sour relationship. I definitely think its about some kind of domestic violence.

About the anal sex comment, I believe you have this song confused with 4 degrees. Admittecly, one of my friends uses "stick the knife in" as a euphemism for such a thing, but I think the GENERAL theme here is just straight up violence towards a loved one, all thoughts of rough sex aside.

anyhoo thats my two cents. enjoy
peace love happiness

jase
12-17-2002, 05:35 PM
I think thedave means aren't all their songs about anal sex?