PDA

View Full Version : The importance of this song

minusthered
09-18-2003, 10:40 AM
This is my first post at TDN. Hello :-)

I really think 46 and 2 is a very important song in terms of lyrics and Maynard's work. He seems to have this trend of writing about self-discovery, self-exploration, and 46 and 2 is just a verbal expression of that process. Other songs in this series of explorations are Flood ("I was wrong. This changes everything." He's seeing the light and having to understand), 4 Degrees ("let's go digging") Third Eye ("prying open my third eye"...pretty obvious), Lateralus, Reflection...as for non-TOOL songs as well, there are Rose, and recently Weak and Powerless. There is the continued metaphor of "digging" ("let's go digging" "while I dig in search of China"), as in, reaching into oneself. I think, considering all this, that maybe 46 and 2 is less about global evolution and more about personal evolution.

Maynard is one interesting psyche.

adrenaline7
09-19-2003, 05:10 AM
I'd have to agree with you. I also believe this song is based upon oneself, most likely Maynard. And even though he could be speaking as the world, he is referring to himself (ie. MY shadow's, I'VE been picking, etc). Although, the subject of the song could refer to the rest of the world, but I doubt it.

jay-jay
10-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Hey guys… I was just writing this when you beat me to it, so here it is anyways.

I don’t mean to be abrupt… Well I kind of do, but did anyone bother to consider that maynard has used a linguistic technique called an “extended metaphor” and that he is speaking figuratively about evolution and that it may *shock fucking horror* may be a song about himself not a Drunlavo theory. Christ, it’s like analysing Sylvia Plath, then going off and studying the holocaust or nazi lampshades and jewish skin and trying to work out what she actually had to do with 1940 Germany, it’s fucking ridiculous. Just look at the context and remember it’s a metaphor. The shadow archetype actually has nothing to do with ‘sacred geometry’ except for maynard’s correlation in this song which goes a little something like… Explore your shadow and you can change and become a better person. And just in case it wasn’t clear, not… I actually believe that I will evolve into ‘Christ consciousness’ and grow two extra chromosomes because Jung and Drunlavo somehow worked this otherwise unrelated theory together. As maynard is vague I cannot tell you the exact context which he wrote 46 and 2 but I can tell you, that some people are taking it literal, and that is wrong.

jay-jay
10-19-2003, 11:41 PM
Good luck for everyone’s HSC (everyone who is doing it) btw. 46 and 2 was my text of own choosing, and it fitted in oh so well in the speech.