PDA

View Full Version : The last verse.

tropical
06-01-2008, 02:02 AM
If you feel I'm wrong then go ahead and tell me.

the entire song seems to be half confessional of the point of the collective. as he /she recognizes how his path is unfolding and how it knows it needs to change, before it's health wanes like the moon itself.

The last verse, seems to be a double edged blade, it seems to be a warning to the listener, a message advising to do the same as the collective voice is saying.

Also seems to be the Moon telling another secret. To re-enforce what the confessor said he had to do.

the moon in the astrological sense dominates your instincts, habit patterns, and unconscious drives, and when your mood changes under the moon in your horoscope, Decisions that are generally made unconscious are made more consciously, therefore having a stronger effect on your life.

I'm not saying, '"this is exactly what the words mean, this is what tool wants".

I'm just saying from my point of view is what I feel the song means to me in one aspect.

(sorry for the bad grammar, it's late here.

FatBox
06-01-2008, 01:36 PM
I feel you're wrong and I'm telling you.

Medicea Sidera
06-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Nice interpretation, i also agree to the part "when your mood changes under the moon in your horoscope, Decisions that are generally made unconscious are made more consciously, therefore having a stronger effect on your life." I don't think you are wrong it's your choice to give to the song the meaning you want, also the lyrics of the song in my opinion are totally poetry.

tropical
06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
also the lyrics of the song in my opinion are totally poetry.

I agree fully, all of tool's songs are like a good sandwich. Layered with everything you love, and you sometimes are surprised by what you taste.

I feel you're wrong and I'm telling you.
That is perfectly fine, why don't you share your opinion? instead of trolling :).

FatBox
06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
You never said to state my opinion in your original post, you just said "if you feel I'm wrong then go ahead and tell me," so I did.

tropical
06-02-2008, 12:02 PM
You never said to state my opinion in your original post, you just said "if you feel I'm wrong then go ahead and tell me," so I did.

I know that thank you for correcting me. I was just curious as to why you felt that way.

FatBox
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
It's too hard to break down most of Tool's songs and try to figure out exactly what the lyrics could mean. Honestly, I don't think most of their songs from Lateralus have a certain meaning, they make the lyrics complex just to keep us entertained. =)

Inner_Eulogy
06-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Lateralus is about the "Sit N Spin" any all ya'll ever had those as a kid? Spiral out man

FatBox
06-02-2008, 07:52 PM
God, I feel like vomiting just thinking about that thing again.

tropical
06-02-2008, 08:06 PM
never vomited once on those things, I love the dizzies, when it's self induced.

dxs
06-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Lateralus is about the "Sit N Spin" any all ya'll ever had those as a kid? Spiral out man

I liked trying to walk in a straight line after those.

If I could, I considered myself defiant.

dxs
06-14-2008, 09:54 AM
If you feel I'm wrong then go ahead and tell me.

the entire song seems to be half confessional of the point of the collective. as he /she recognizes how his path is unfolding and how it knows it needs to change, before it's health wanes like the moon itself.

The last verse, seems to be a double edged blade, it seems to be a warning to the listener, a message advising to do the same as the collective voice is saying.

Also seems to be the Moon telling another secret. To re-enforce what the confessor said he had to do.

the moon in the astrological sense dominates your instincts, habit patterns, and unconscious drives, and when your mood changes under the moon in your horoscope, Decisions that are generally made unconscious are made more consciously, therefore having a stronger effect on your life.

I'm not saying, '"this is exactly what the words mean, this is what tool wants".

I'm just saying from my point of view is what I feel the song means to me in one aspect.

(sorry for the bad grammar, it's late here.

Burning the midnight oil, eh? Makes you forget what you learned in English. ;)

Hmm...I don't know if it's like TOOL to put astrological reference into a song, but I'm not going to rule out anything because of it.

After all, it is your interpretation, subjectively, and what you make of it---no one has the right to bash at it.

As for my belief...
When I listened to Reflection for the first time, I pictured the confess-ed (aka, Maynard, let us say) as a planet stranded in some unknown orbit. Of course, that's probably very wrong. The song makes more sense if the characters, such as the moon and our listener, were not colossal space beings.

I really liked how the fantasy seemed to spread out in my head so well, however.

Regardless, if we pictured this through whichever sense you prefer, the moon---hisconfidante---suggests that he discontinues in the spiral he's stranded from, and to take action.

How to take action? By facing reality.

The spiraling out action allowed him to see the world through a much more colorful insight, but in excess, it could cause harm. And now, stranded, cold, conceited, and fairly deluded in his own way, is lost, because he had no point of reference to return to.

I don't know if that colorful insight TOOL may be referring to is an emotional insight, or the insight resulting from hallucinogens. I believe that is left to the listener.

And then we go back to the moon telling him (the planet Maynard XD) that he has to get out of that and get back on track.

With this, I further believed that a song from Lateralus could not be whole with the entire album.

I concur with the fact that the lyrics in the bridge act very much as a double-edged blade. But in this bridge, we see a strength that had not been there before. Not only do you see the song surge with this tremendous power, but the character changes his views on the life he was living, and knows he must "crucify the ego" before he pines away.

It's an amazing song---one of my favorites, I much say, because it spurs much thought, and the image is astounding.

ufopancakes
06-15-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't think anyone in this thread is really wrong... except Inner, only becuase he's on the wrong thread. lol

Inner_Eulogy
06-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't think anyone in this thread is really wrong... except Inner, only becuase he's on the wrong thread. lol

Yeah yeah, I wasn't the first one to comment on Lateralus in here and besides...if you really knew the facts, you'd be agreeing with the Sit N Spin analogy