PDA

View Full Version : Opiate Vinyl

Inquiring Minds
05-14-2008, 04:22 PM
If I am correct, I believe the Opiate Vinyl has been reissued. Does anyone know how I can determine the difference between the 1st edition opiate vinyls and the reissued ones?

I just bought an unopened Opiate vinyl for less than 10 bucks at a flea market, and I'd just like to check and see which version it is, although at the price and great condition its in, I'm pretty sure its just the reissue. Any help would be appreciated, thx!

Yast3r
05-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Wow, you should have posted these all in one thread and I'm sure you'd have more responses. I can't help you however as I'm not into vinyls.

Inquiring Minds
05-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Wow, you should have posted these all in one thread and I'm sure you'd have more responses. I can't help you however as I'm not into vinyls.

Wow you took the time to track down every post I made today about vinyls, and yet you gave me no help at all

Yast3r
05-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Actually I just hit the "New Posts" tab and see all the threads you made basically asking the same question for different albums. And I'm glad I could help. :)

theamazingtool
12-16-2008, 06:59 PM
im planning on getting my brother Opiate on vinyl for christmas. i was thinking Opiate would be a good "introduction to TOOL", for my brother anyways. he has a decent and growing vinyl collection and thought this would be a cool addition...

imatoolhed
12-16-2008, 07:03 PM
i have the original

Inner_Eulogy
12-17-2008, 10:24 AM
i have the original

We're thrilled

marcus
12-18-2008, 03:49 AM
im planning on getting my brother Opiate on vinyl for christmas. i was thinking Opiate would be a good "introduction to TOOL", for my brother anyways. he has a decent and growing vinyl collection and thought this would be a cool addition...You should get him undertow.

theamazingtool
12-18-2008, 07:53 AM
You should get him undertow.

...and why is that?

PS- i thought about it. still haven't gotten him anything yet, im one of those last minute shoppers

marcus
12-18-2008, 04:06 PM
It's a full length album.

In all honesty the packaging on the opiate and undertow vinyl re-releases are greatly disappointing.

imatoolhed
12-18-2008, 05:42 PM
i have that original as well

theamazingtool
12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
It's a full length album.

In all honesty the packaging on the opiate and undertow vinyl re-releases are greatly disappointing.

i actually just got off the phone with my younger brother, who just got the Opiate Vinyl(my younger brother and I are getting Opiate for our older brother). My younger brother was saying how cool the packagin is, being so much larger and in detail. I asked him, and he wasn't sure wether it was an original or re-issue. Im sure there are alrady a million and one threads about this, but can someone explain to me the diff...?

Yast3r
12-20-2008, 07:45 AM
i actually just got off the phone with my younger brother, who just got the Opiate Vinyl(my younger brother and I are getting Opiate for our older brother). My younger brother was saying how cool the packagin is, being so much larger and in detail. I asked him, and he wasn't sure wether it was an original or re-issue. Im sure there are alrady a million and one threads about this, but can someone explain to me the diff...?

One is newer and probably smells less dusty.

theamazingtool
12-20-2008, 07:50 AM
gee, THANKS

marcus
12-20-2008, 02:19 PM
i actually just got off the phone with my younger brother, who just got the Opiate Vinyl(my younger brother and I are getting Opiate for our older brother). My younger brother was saying how cool the packagin is, being so much larger and in detail. I asked him, and he wasn't sure wether it was an original or re-issue. Im sure there are alrady a million and one threads about this, but can someone explain to me the diff...?The pictures are bigger, but it seemed flimsy and cheap to me.

I do not know the difference, but I'm sure it is very minor.

blair's man sausage
12-20-2008, 06:18 PM
i had the undertow vinyl until my friend stole it, awesome.

Strewth
12-20-2008, 06:29 PM
You should stalk him and crank call his doctor's office.

Wait, no.

You shouldn't.

blair's man sausage
12-20-2008, 06:42 PM
then my dj friend thought it would be a good idea to open and spin my aenima vinyl, fuck x 2.

Strewth
12-20-2008, 07:45 PM
i wish i had some tool vinyls so that i could play frisbee again

I wish I had thirty million dollars.

gonzo
12-21-2008, 08:28 AM
If it's opiate vinyl, just smoke it.

gonzo
12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Or not.
Frisbee's cool...

There should be a level on Resident Evil where the gamer gets to throw albums at the zombies.

gonzo
12-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Cars hiss past my window just like the waves down on the beach

gonzo
12-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Wait.
Wrong thread.
Sorry, vinyl listeners...

theamazingtool
01-02-2009, 10:26 AM
it was a re-issue, i do believe. he liked it...

Yast3r
01-02-2009, 10:44 AM
it was a re-issue, i do believe. he liked it...

We all pretend when given gifts.

gonzo
01-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I smiled when I received the Waffle Press this year.
Now I have to become a chef, and learn how to work the fuckin' thing.

gonzo
01-04-2009, 07:43 AM
They say it's easier than putting on an album, making waffles.
We'll see. I've been lied to before.

gonzo
01-04-2009, 07:48 AM
They told me Santa was real, and now I'm him.
Jolly well no fun cleaning a f'n' waffle maker.
Eat. Eat.
Oh, the BB's, yeah, just spit them on the floor.
Mrs. Claus, she likes to sweep.

Yast3r
01-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Can you make pancakes disguised as waffles?

Strewth
01-04-2009, 10:01 AM
They don't usually turn out right. There's some difference in the batter, and it is apparently Very Important.

Yast3r
01-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm not too big on the whole waffle movement. It's brought upon a negative impact on the youth today with the whole self-centered marketing. "Let go of my Eggo", more like, "Let's corrupt child's minds so that the world becomes one egotistical force that never shares with its own kind".

If Eggo would have made their slogan; "Here, have my waffle" I bet we would not be seeing war right now.

At least thats my excuse for not liking waffles. (That and the new concoctions of animal-like waffles without square-pattern indents. How is it a waffle if its essentially a soggy/half frozen animal cracker?)

Strewth
01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Frozen waffles make baby Jesus cry.

gonzo
01-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I make em' and hand them out for free.
My slogan is, 'Eat me.'
I, myself, prefer muffins.

gonzo
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Can you make pancakes disguised as waffles?

Unfortunately, no.
What you see, is what you get.
The pattern is engrained/engraved.
The squares are permanent.

gonzo
01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm not too big on the whole waffle movement. It's brought upon a negative impact on the youth today with the whole self-centered marketing. "Let go of my Eggo", more like, "Let's corrupt child's minds so that the world becomes one egotistical force that never shares with its own kind".

If Eggo would have made their slogan; "Here, have my waffle" I bet we would not be seeing war right now.

At least thats my excuse for not liking waffles. (That and the new concoctions of animal-like waffles without square-pattern indents. How is it a waffle if its essentially a soggy/half frozen animal cracker?)

I'm subverting the industry, one waffle at a time.
Help!

gonzo
01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Frozen waffles make baby Jesus cry.

Cry, rivers of regret.

Yast3r
01-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Cry, rivers of regret.

Rivers of regret... and maple syrup. Although mainly regret.

gonzo
01-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Rivers of regret... and maple syrup. Although mainly regret.

Like the logging camp blues

Strewth
01-04-2009, 04:44 PM
There was this one time I thought I had problems with ketones because I smelled like maple syrup, but then it turned out I had just washed a coffee bean in my pants pocket.

True story.

Yast3r
01-04-2009, 04:54 PM
There was this one time I thought I had problems with ketones because I smelled like maple syrup, but then it turned out I had just washed a coffee bean in my pants pocket.

True story.

It's like a tastier alternative to bleach.

gonzo
01-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Maple syrup, eh.
I've been using Tide. Vanilla Tide.
just kidding

01-05-2009, 04:55 AM
Maple syrup, its nice but expensive.

Strewth
01-05-2009, 07:59 AM
It's not expensive, maple syrup.

Or at least, it hasn't been in my experience.

But I just woke up and for all I know I could be actually be confusing the price of maple syrup with the price of anything from generic tylenol to fried chicken...

Yast3r
01-05-2009, 08:54 AM
It's cheap, maple syrup.

01-05-2009, 09:02 AM
maybe i am too poor then

theamazingtool
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
tap a maple tree yourself. thats what we used to do when i was younger

Ibanez_Guy
02-27-2009, 10:40 PM
WELLLLLLLLLL...... not that this thread is still on topic, but i thought i would post what I know about the Opiate vinyl:

First you need to know this:

Zoo Entertainment used 72445-1XXXX-X for cat# and bar codes (maybe an extra number at the end on the barcode, what whatever... the prefix is the relevant part here). The first 4 Xs determine the release and the last X determines the format (1 for vinyl, 2 for CD, 4 for cassette.. etc).
When Volcano Entertainment bought Zoo from BMG in 1996, first they kept the same cat#s but changed the barcode to have a new prefix: 61422-3XXXX-X.

So, anything with the 61422-3 prefix either on the barcode or cat# was NOT PRESSED BEFORE 1996.

That being said, I still have NOT seen a Opiate pressing with a 72445-1XXXX-X BARCODE (cat# yes, but not barcode) so I don't know if the original 1992 pressings are either really rare, or maybe they don't exist. Is there anyone that was around in 1992 that can remember if Opiate was available on vinyl from day 1?

Pressings that I know of for sure:
Basically only 3 (besides the possible one I mentioned above):

Release September 17, 1996 in conjunction with the Undertow Remaster and the original Aenima release (before the CD on October 1st, 1996)

This one has the Zoo logo on the sleeve AND on label (cat# cat# 72445-11027-1 on sleeve and label, BUT barcode: 61422-31027-1 9). It also has a custom insert with the credits on it (and graphics). The vinyl label is stylized as well with a bit of fur showing. The etchings on this disc say: 2445-11027-1-A1 (and B1 on the B side). The label says: "Manufactured and distributed by BMG Entertainment."

2. The only other one I know of uses the exact same sleeve as the one above, but uses a new label on this disc. So the sleeve has the OLD prefix on the sleeve, put the NEW prefix on the label. The label is boring old plain white. It has the Volcano Logo on it, and says: "Manufactured by Zomba Recording Corporation". The insert is a plain white one and thus, there are no credits included with this version. The etchings on this one are weird because each side uses a different prefix: Side A: 61422-31027-1-A1 and, Side B: 72445-11027-1-B1. But thats that. I don't know the release date of this one, but it is sometime after the other one.

3. Now, there is another one that is slightly newer because I have another (mispressed) copy that has a slightly different sleeve. The newer sleeve is basically the same, but the colour and font of the fine print is slightly different (barely noticeable) and the spine doesn't have the band name or title on it, it is blank (more noticeable). Again, I don't know when this was pressed, but it would be newer than the second one. Barcode is a little smaller (or bigger...i cant remember?)... anyways, just by a millimeter or 2.

While I am on a roll, I will point on these interesting things:

1. Why the hell haven't they made a Volcano logo'd sleeve for Opiate? Undertow has basically the same amount of represses, except they have one that is updated with the Tool Dissection and Volcano logos... why not Opiate?

2. Why do the ones with Volcano on the label NOT have the Tool Dissection logo? The Undertow represses do. As a matter of fact, i think every single repress or new release on any format since 1999 has had the Tool Dissectional and Volcano logos except for these opiate pressings.

3. Why am I still typing? I am insane...

Anyways, scans of 2 of my copies are here (except my 1996 one):
Volcano Reissue: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1554087
Volcano Reissue mispress: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1586750

I anyone has any info on anything PM me.... especially if you have a copy with a barcode that looks like this: 72445-11027-1, I am still trying to confirm/deny this ones existence.

theamazingtool
02-28-2009, 06:37 AM
tl;dr

how do u know all of this?

Inner_Eulogy
03-02-2009, 10:29 AM
tl;dr

how do u know all of this?

He's works as a double agent for the CIA

Ibanez_Guy
03-02-2009, 01:07 PM
He's works as a double agent for the CIA
In Canada we are called CSIS ;)

No, I have just been "researching" I guess both the history of Volcano and Zoo Entertainment, and their relationships with BMG, Zomba, Sony BMG and whatnot. Looking through old business articles, press releases, and other documents online and otherwise. Also having fun with archive.org and interrogating certain key informants.

The Opiate vinyl situation is an odd one, and I have been looking into it for sometime. Eventually i stumbled upon this thread and I decided to post what I know this far.

theamazingtool
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
In Canada we are called CSIS ;)

No, I have just been "researching" I guess both the history of Volcano and Zoo Entertainment, and their relationships with BMG, Zomba, Sony BMG and whatnot. Looking through old business articles, press releases, and other documents online and otherwise. Also having fun with archive.org and interrogating certain key informants.

The Opiate vinyl situation is an odd one, and I have been looking into it for sometime. Eventually i stumbled upon this thread and I decided to post what I know this far.

find a girlfriend.