PDA

View Full Version : Undertow=Addiction

Zerocool997
12-06-2002, 08:53 AM
This song is about addiction atleast to me it is. I think undertow is a metaphor for addiction and a good one at that. I mean they are both uncontrollable forces. When you stand in the water especially when a storm is approaching and you feel the pull of the undertow you can't help but be amazed at the force and unpredictability of the ocean. I think that is why there are so many water references on Tool albums. Water is such an uncontrollable force and yet it consumes 75% of the globe. Tidal waves, floods, erosion these are all results of water and our inability to control it.

Back to the "Undertow," I definately feel it is about addiction not neccessarily drug addiction but some sort of addiction. The whole line "How could I let this bring me back to my knees." sounds like Maynard is disgusted that he could let an addiction overwhelm him. There are many other lines that sugges thsi theory but I don't remeber them off the top of my head. Just listen to the song.

queenoftears
12-06-2002, 11:05 PM
I totally agree, this song means so much to me. I listen to this song and can feel his frustration but obvious love for this thing. To me, it was substances and I totally understand how he feels. I heard this song live and was just floored. The end, where he just drags out the word Euphoria is the most right-on description of the word/feeling you can give. One of my favorite songs, definately.