PDA

View Full Version : TOOL's Influences

Angel on the Sideline
05-02-2008, 04:56 AM
I was listening to a metal station through my cable television the other day while doing some "house work" when Sober came on. During the song, they show a picture of the band (they didn't have one for TOOL and just ran a lame bar code in the photo spot) as well as give a few nuggets of information about the band. What they said about the other bands they played seemed to jive, but I'm not really sure they know their TOOL very well (or maybe I don't?).

For example, they always list two bands as "influences" and then list two bands as bands that "sounds like" the group they're playing. In TOOL's case, they didn't do the "sounds like" bit but instead listed two bands as "followers". For the followers they listed Chevelle (yes, I've heard this before) and some band I've never hear of (at least it wasn't Limp Bizkit).

What threw me for a loop, though, were the influences. The station listed Black Sabbath and Faith No More as TOOL's influences. The obvious pair would have been King Crimson and Led Zeppelin. Though I've never once heard any of the band's members list Sabbath, I figure you can pin Sabbath on just about any group with an electric guitar and be at least somewhat accurate as their sound did change music forever. That said, I don't know that they are one of TOOL's influences.

Faith No More really caught me off guard. They were a great band, to be sure, but TOOL sounds nothing like them in any way, shape or form and I've never heard them mentioned as an influence.

Was this station way off base like I think?

gjamison27
05-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Black Sabbath is obvious, I agree.

I disagree with Led Zeppelin (outside of the length of the songs)

Tool are long time friends with Mike Patton and FNM and are influenced by them and the many other projects involving Mike. However, I agree that these influences are not obvious in Tool music.

Pink Floyd should always be mentioned at the top of the list. Even over King Crimson.

Angel on the Sideline
05-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Don't forget Tool recorded a Led Zep cover song ...

I agree Pink Floyd is an influence.

setvak
05-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Just thought I'd mention this, even though it isn't strictly on-topic. Dave Grohl recorded an album, Pocketwatch, under the name Late! which was released in 1992. One of the songs, "Bruce", actually has an Undertow-esque sound to it, even though it was released earlier...any opinions on this? http://youtube.com/watch?v=WJrplNXWH4E

Inner_Eulogy
05-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Who's to say that just because someone has a band they look up to or feel influenced by that their music has to sound similar? Just because I'm a big fan of Tool doesn't necessarily mean that I ever start a band that it will sound anything like Tool.

gjamison27
05-06-2008, 05:11 AM
I agree with you Inner. I was referring to obvious references as in ones that could be heard within the music.

Led Zeppelin influenced every person that ever listened to them.

When it all breaks down, each and every experience we have influences our music to some degree. More of our influences come from what we don't want to play than that which we might try to emulate.

So yeah...

hemiola
05-06-2008, 07:39 AM
More of our influences come from what we don't want to play than that which we might try to emulate.

I'm influenced by stuff i don't like everyday. Much more so than by stuff I do like.

gjamison27
05-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I would say that Tools biggest influence is the stuff they don't like.