PDA

View Full Version : an epihany

ProfoundHaytred
09-15-2003, 05:34 AM
well the other night, my g/f and i had an argument, and it was about her not listening to me and me changing for her, and well, disposition was on while this was going on, so i stopped and kinda heard the lyrics to the song in a new way...like my own interpretation of the song...here goes...."mention this to me" - some-one is saying that they want you to change for the better of a relationship. "mention this...anything" - same thing, just pleading to help make the realationship work. "and watch the waether change" - the person changing to what they had been asked to do....i know this doesnt make much sence as i didnt put it very well, its been kinda hard for me to explain...i wish i could explain this in a manner in which it would be more clear..but if you understand this, please..

ProfoundHaytred
09-16-2003, 05:51 AM
well we kinda settled it, i really hoped that it would as it did.

reedc33
09-17-2003, 05:17 PM
After thinking of your new perspective, I thought of a new one....

What if Maynard is asking the weather, as it were a God, his mother, a deity, to change.. and he is waiting for a response... considering he lives in L.A and Mesa, AZ where it's always hot.. always summer.. I think he wants a change of weather.. considering also he's from Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey.. where the weather changes frequently....also note, he's very pale despite living in a very sunny climate.....plus, when he's on tour.. travelling.. he gets to watch the weather change as well.... there are so many different meanings and that's the fun... trying to discover them all through yourself and through others. :-)

although, I'll keep My original perspective on it a secret..... for now.

Damn you and your secrets. Out with it! I know where you live.

Jesus H. Christ
09-17-2003, 10:04 PM
It means watch the weather change.

KlepTIK
09-25-2003, 01:28 AM
I feel that it's about spending the rest of your life with the person you love . mention something , mention anything ... it doesn't matter what we do , where we go , or what we talk about as long as we're together . watch the weather change ... the weather will change day by day for infinity , let's grow old together .

thats my interpretation because when i hear it , i instantly think of my girl , and how much i love her . the great thing about maynards lyrics is how vague they are . they allow everybody to relate to them in someway .

conawaje
09-25-2003, 09:34 AM
I think the song is about a relationship that is collapsing because of a lack of communication. If you listen to the song it sounds like he is pleading "mention something.... mention anything" - he is saying please, talk to me!

"Watch the weather change" - oh well there's nothing I can do about it, some things just fall apart. Hence the weather metaphor, as the weather is something else you cannot control.

Just my $.02

The_Outsider
10-22-2003, 01:07 PM
I look at it from another point of view, I tend to think of it as Maynard describing a situation where someone has become incredibly fed up with something, a situation, an idea, a person, or perhaps is just stressed out entirely, and if you mention it to this person, they could snap, or alternatively you could mention something and cause them to Snap OUT of their mood and wake up... either way "...Watch the weather change..." I liken this song to the song "Over" which is the last track on Mer de Noms by A Perfect Circle which is a song that describes the repetition of a monotonous issue, in that song the only lyrics are "...Been over this, been over this before..." "...So over this..."
that's the way Disposition always came across to me anyway, if you compare the two songs musically, the are both quite, simple songs perhaps simple is not the word, what i mean is that they're songs that you can just chill out and listen to, they're very mellow.

nthistogether
11-17-2003, 10:35 PM
The placing of the song in the album is great. Parabola, Ticks and Leeches, and Lateralus shake you up, they're fast paced and exciting. And then it just slows down. Watch the weather change.

It just means you need to be calm, and have some peaceful time every now and then. Just sit still, and watch the weather. No distractions. No nothing. You and the slow change. A change so slow that you would miss if you weren't paying attention.

torth
11-24-2003, 06:40 PM
I am guilty of being so caught up in life that I don't notice the things I should. I lose sight of my goals and the people and priciples that mean the most to me. This sounds a little hypocritical or impossible, but sometimes I'm too busy enjoying life that I don't actually sit back and enjoy it. Sometimes we all just need to take a step back and reflect, hence the title. To me, "mention this to me.. mention anything" means that we need to be reminded to take a break and think for a while. just a little tap on the shoulder on a busy day. When I hear the song, I picture a man sitting with his knees up in a field watching the clouds. It makes me want to separate myself from society for a few hours and watch the clouds as I think about my changing life.

torth
11-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Sorry, I'm an idiot. In the above reply, I implied that reflection was the title of the song. And it isn't. The title is Disposition. I thought it was interesting though, that other than the definition of disposition being a "usual mood," it also means "a habitual inclination; a tendency" which could be describing a tendency to take life for granted and not "watch the weather change." I hope I'm not pulling all of this out of my ass. If so, what the hell.

imperfection
12-11-2003, 08:01 PM
everyone has differnt views like i have said a million times we dont know what Mayanrd and the rest of the band are getting at. the only way we could is if we had a 1 on 1 convo with him. which none of us are worthy of having. but i see what you mean man. and personally you could be as right as me.

AllforUnity
12-13-2003, 01:37 AM
l would believe that person. Maybe...