PDA

View Full Version : Kabbalah

Dissonance
12-06-2002, 01:37 AM
I dont know if anyone has already mentioned this, but I'll just go ahead and shed some light, as it were.

The Kabbalah is a form of Jewish mysticism dealing with our relationship to God, how to find him, etc etc. Anywho, the Kabbalah teaches that our souls, our eternal selves, our "Us"ness, are beams of light reflected from God. Our light is imprisoned in our flesh, so Kabbalah says, and that we will liberate it upon death.

Reflections has a fascinating tie in to the Kabbalah there. In fact, the entire album has a Kabbalistic overtone.

The song, though it has a "downbeat" sound, is actually very uplifting and hopeful. In our darkest moments, we are still a part of the great Light that created us, and we can draw strength from this. So many people would see Tool and their albums and think "Oh another drab black angry depressing band". But you have to dig deep to find the messages of hope, of ethics, the deep philosophies of their lyrics.

Also come on... listen to that music. its transcendant!

ShackledEidolon
12-06-2002, 09:03 AM
Certainly is and if you haven't had a chance to look at the site comparing Lateralus to the sephirot (tree of life) then I would recommend checking out

www.toolpantheon.com

Dissonance
12-06-2002, 11:31 AM
Yeah i have seen that site, and its very good.

The Tree of Life and its Sephiroth show up in the most interesting places.