PDA

View Full Version : My point of view

seb_135
04-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Not quite sure if it's "new" thought but I just wanna express my feelings with this song in the context of the whole album. I've read in other thread that it's about not being able to reconcile with the fact that the relationship has ended and there's nothing to do about it - repeating "I know the pieces fit" at the end of the song. I assess it's wrong. Important thing also is that Schism precedes Parabola. Think of it that way:

Take average "supposed lover". Firstly, the Grudge blames him for wearing the crown of negativity, but he's just patient, waits the bad times out. Then comes Schism, everything tumbles down, but he had been patient, knew the pieces fit, repeated it like mantra, twirled out with familiar parabol and put the pieces together. After that, he has a bit of overwhelming peacefull being in "holy reality". Later, he realises that maybe it wasn't worthwhile and resists to stay sucked dry. Then, after getting rid of emotions swings on the spiral of divinity and althought he remains human he refuses to pine away and comes to find that he's capable of all that's imagined and conciveable. (but it still "waits for confirmation", so I might be wrong ;-)).

Now what?

HelenA
04-24-2008, 04:14 AM
I like the way you are thinking but I doubt if it is a concept album to the extent that you imply. I think Lateralus (the song) is bigger than relationships and as you say ... what next? Disposition? How does that fit?

But I like what you have done with it - its cool.

Inner_Eulogy
04-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Not quite sure if it's "new" thought but I just wanna express my feelings with this song in the context of the whole album. I've read in other thread that it's about not being able to reconcile with the fact that the relationship has ended and there's nothing to do about it - repeating "I know the pieces fit" at the end of the song. I assess it's wrong. Important thing also is that Schism precedes Parabola. Think of it that way:

Take average "supposed lover". Firstly, the Grudge blames him for wearing the crown of negativity, but he's just patient, waits the bad times out. Then comes Schism, everything tumbles down, but he had been patient, knew the pieces fit, repeated it like mantra, twirled out with familiar parabol and put the pieces together. After that, he has a bit of overwhelming peacefull being in "holy reality". Later, he realises that maybe it wasn't worthwhile and resists to stay sucked dry. Then, after getting rid of emotions swings on the spiral of divinity and althought he remains human he refuses to pine away and comes to find that he's capable of all that's imagined and conciveable. (but it still "waits for confirmation", so I might be wrong ;-)).

Now what?

I agree that it's an interesting way to think of it although it's definately not the concept in which it was meant.

seb_135
04-24-2008, 07:02 AM
how does the Disposition fit? mentioned anything --> waited --> watched the weather change --> "got what wanted all along", say I.

by the way: is it as much really so important what the "real" meaning is? is there anything like "real meaning"? maybe even MJK doesn't know for sure what he wants to say, he isn't God, for that matter. maybe he just "mentions something". and watches what we would do with it.

theamazingtool
05-05-2008, 12:52 PM
i like this idea and think that you may be heading in the right direction.

"i know the pieces fit" this is clearly a crucial line, how many times is driven into your head during this 6:47 minute song? this album has been said to be about "communication". schism is quite obviously about lovers and a relationship, as the grudge is along similar lines with the whole adultry thing going on. all the other songs can be incorporated into the relationship/communication theme as well if thats what your looking for. this may not be THE correct and ONLY meaning of lateralus(as you can find many different and personal interpretations to any TOOL). but i think it could quite very possibly be one intended meaning of the album

seb_135 , i like how you incorporated all of these songs together. we need to put the "pieces together" on this one

seb_135
05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
even if it seems imposible, it's always worth trying. helps to rediscover communication. also with ourselves.

ufopancakes
06-03-2008, 01:05 AM
I think its interesting that Maynard specifically typed "lovers/brothers" in for the "Between supposed....." in the official lyrics.

The Lovers card in the Tarot deck is also called the Brothers card. The Major Arcana represent a division from Universal Spirit, and the path to returning to it. While I'm well aware of the tribulations with the band at the time, it seems like another example of Maynard writing something personal while referencing something on a larger scale, or simply relating to something that reveals more depth of the song.

Here is one of the many interpretations of the Lovers Card:
"The Lovers card is the card to look out for in your readings; it represents a time of choice and dilemma that could have a significant impact on your life.

You may be faced with a choice between suitors or lovers, or whether to stay in a relationship/marriage or leave, and when it comes to affairs of the heart, knowing which is the right choice can be very difficult indeed. "

It seems to coincide.

Inner_Eulogy
06-04-2008, 09:42 AM
If two opposed lovers souls sit juxtaposed, do you suppose they would share their battle woes?

seb_135
09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
if they try - why not, as I said, it's always worth trying. even if only to realise that it wasn't really worthwhile. for instance - I did so. it wasn't easy but i suppose I'm one step closer to knowing myself.

Inner_Eulogy
09-03-2008, 10:05 AM
if they try - why not, as I said, it's always worth trying. even if only to realise that it wasn't really worthwhile. for instance - I did so. it wasn't easy but i suppose I'm one step closer to knowing myself.

Huh?