PDA

View Full Version : Meditation to The Patient

Yast3r
04-19-2008, 06:44 AM
I'm new here so this is my first post. I have read lots of posts on this forum and haven't seen anything mentioned on this topic before--so I was just curious if it is an individual experience or something more.

I have begun meditation to Tool albums for they are great relaxation tools (haha), I let Lateralus run through from first track to last each night. (By meditation I mean lying on my back, palms up, getting lost in the music). However, I can never hear the entire song of The Patient. There is one point during this song that puts me to sleep... or just makes me blank out. I usually suddenly feel startled, or as though I get woken up at a later part in the song and I find myself disorientated and confused on whether or not I had fallen asleep.

I'm not saying the song is boring neither, it's one of my favorite tracks off the album. Does anyone else find they share a similar experience? It has happened more than about 14 times now...

Rolo
04-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Just out of curiousity; I know nothing about meditation but i wonder, when you meditate through the whole album, don't tracks like "The Grudge" (the end of the song) or "Ticks & Leeches" (the beginning and end of the song) disturb the process of meditation or give you some sort of unpleasant feeling. I think i would feel very uncomfortable during these tracks.

Yast3r
04-22-2008, 06:02 PM
To be honest it did at first... although with meditation to music you seem to pick up on the emotions etc. Through a lot of Tool tracks you become overwhelmed with paranoia or some kind of unpleasantry. Usually it hits hardest during the beginning of Intension on 10,000 Days, and on Mantra for Lateralus. The Grudge does not bother me as I usually begin with it so you're not completely relaxed etc... and Ticks and Leeches doesn't interrupt my meditations any.

FatBox
05-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Seems you totally misunderstand the definition of "meditation."

FatBox
05-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah

Yast3r
05-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Well alright then

You've got to say it in more of an Ace Ventura-ish way.

And this is old Fatbox, why bump it to make it a spam thread. :P

Yast3r
05-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't mind him so much either, despite our one clash in the other thread. I may regret it, but oh well. It's in the past!

FatBox
05-16-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't mind him so much either, despite our one clash in the other thread. I may regret it, but oh well. It's in the past!

We'll never learn how to time travel, if we ever did, we would be seeing people from the future.

Yast3r
05-17-2008, 06:24 AM
We'll never learn how to time travel, if we ever did, we would be seeing people from the future.

Who's that a quote of? I was reading a book on Paradoxes and time travel called "Elegant Universe" and I believe that was a distinct line from it.

FatBox
05-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Who's that a quote of? I was reading a book on Paradoxes and time travel called "Elegant Universe" and I believe that was a distinct line from it.

Honestly, no idea. I think I heard it from my brother or something, no idea who originally said it.

Yast3r
05-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Hmm. I love the quote none-the-less because of how true it is.

ufopancakes
06-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Hmm. I love the quote none-the-less because of how true it is.

Why is this guy probed?

ufopancakes
06-27-2008, 04:54 AM

Have you ever considered the possibility that Greys might be advanced humans from the distant future? Don't get me wrong, I don't actually believe that... its just an interesting thought.

Kody27
06-27-2008, 11:05 AM
or that whenever we did learn to time travel it simply put us into a parallel reality to where we couldn't time travel on the same timeline as our present selves?

Kody27
06-27-2008, 02:15 PM
You're right but who cares about hard evidence? It's just an intuition thing, of course the chances of two living beings finding each other in the universe is slim to none, but it doesn't mean they're not out there. And if they're not, and the aliens we've seen are just us from this exact spot in the universe in the future, then why hasn't someone come back and killed Bush yet?

dxs
06-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Time travel to change the past is dumb, time travel in general (as a concept, I'm not talking the possibility of it here, just the concept) is a dumb notion. What could be gained from going back in time? There will be people who pipe up and say "so we can experience historical events firsthand, settle debates, etc.", but keep in mind that there is no way to really observe or measure anything without altering it slightly, and alteration of the past is almost sure to be devastating to the present that we know. And going into a future only shows possibility, not certainty.

It's just dumb.

As for me, I'd believe that time traveling is actually problematic.
In terms of trying to fix a past or trying to delve into the future, it would cause ripples of larger problems, where reversing the effect would be even harder to fix. And then you'd have two problems on your plate.

And then we'd be in a crisis.
I'd never want to time travel for such a reason. If anything, we should enjoy life at the pace that it is going, and nothing more.

dxs
06-27-2008, 02:54 PM
That's what I basically mean by it being dumb. It's so problematic that it would take a sheer force of will to ignore the enormous problems with such an action and actually do it.

It's human nature.

It's like this one story I heard, where a man was put in a room with steel doors and walls, and had to find a way out.

So, after much thought, he decided to grab the ceiling fan and take it out in such a way that it would still be whirring when he took it out of the ceiling.

After hours of trying, he managed to cut a hole in the wall, and escaped thus.

Never in his plan did he think of the simplest solution: trying out the door, which had been unlocked that whole time.

Humans always try to go in circles to find an answer to their problems, when ninety-nine percent of the time, the solution is as clear as day.

Hence, I'm open to the concept of time-traveling, though not supportive.

Kody27
06-27-2008, 09:45 PM
I just time traveled to the future, and there's nothing cool goin on so don't worry about it.

ufopancakes
06-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Time travel creates a paradox... but existence is one HUGE paradox... We are everywhere and no where... we are awake, and we are dreaming... No belief system is void of paradox... so I wouldn't rule the possibility out. While it can be problematic, I don't think its dumb. I've spent many bored hours in high school daydreaming of how I would like to fuck with people in the distant past with technology had I been given the chance.

ufopancakes
06-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Considering the size of the observable universe... I'd say its pretty goddamn likely that there are intelligent beings out there. But I'm with you... I'm in no position to confirm their existence.

ufopancakes
06-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I haven't thought about it in a long... loooong time. It was just one of those things that swirled around my head in boring high school classes to keep myself entertained.

ufopancakes
06-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Not to say that I would actually do it. Its just, fun to think about how one small event would change the way people did shit for a long time... Like maybe, blowing a fireball in the face of an early Pope... shit like that.

dxs
06-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for helping me brainstorm in my future years of boredom.

dxs
06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
A few more years to go :P

It's going by fast.

dxs
06-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I've actually tried to be more of a kid.
Sounds ridiculous, but true.

I'm trying to be a bit more stupid.

dxs
06-29-2008, 06:58 PM
People would say I'm doing a good job.

dxs
06-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Sohuld I statr msipelning thngs thn?

Rolo
06-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Maybe, start threads about things that have been discussed over and over again

dxs
06-29-2008, 07:46 PM
That's repetitive. D:

Bah, I think they forgot to unprobe Yast3r.

ufopancakes
06-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah... I don't recommend it. Consider your maturity a blessing.

Rolo
06-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah... I don't recommend it. Consider your maturity a blessing.

Yeah, take disadvantage of your earlygained skills.
We won't tell, "college-boy" :P

dxs
06-29-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm sure it is.

Of course, I still have my childish quirks, but...not much more.

dxs
06-29-2008, 07:59 PM

XP
I don't mind my earlygained skills.
It would make me all the more interesting in adulthood, don't you think?

Rolo
06-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm sure it is.

Of course, I still have my childish quirks, but...not much more.

Embrace that. Keep the inner-child alive, always.

dxs
06-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Embrace that. Keep the inner-child alive, always.

I'm doing what I can to take advantage of it.

I mean, I still do stupid things.
Every now and then I take a stuffed animal to bed.
Not too bad.

I just can't go too far back or I'll piss my pants in bed.

Rolo
06-29-2008, 08:02 PM
XP
I don't mind my earlygained skills.
It would make me all the more interesting in adulthood, don't you think?

You'd outsmart us all. And if you become the Einstein of the 21st century, you will remember us, won't you?

Rolo
06-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm doing what I can to take advantage of it.

I mean, I still do stupid things.
Every now and then I take a stuffed animal to bed.
Not too bad.

I just can't go too far back or I'll piss my pants in bed.

LMAO

Goddamn, wet the bed.

dxs
06-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Of course.
I might even visit you. :P

I'm not necessarily a genius---that's a very nice compliment, but that would be taking it too far.

Unlike Einstein, however, I'll brush my hair.

ufopancakes
06-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Whats that supposed to mean?

dxs
06-29-2008, 08:41 PM
I believe Rolo is jokingly making me look older than I am. ^^

dxs
06-29-2008, 08:42 PM
LMAO

Goddamn, wet the bed.

When I was eleven, I had a relapse.
It was terrible. X(

Rolo
06-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I believe Rolo is jokingly making me look older than I am. ^^

See? And this post only proves my point :)

Rolo
06-30-2008, 03:18 PM
PROTIP: dxs has a twat

Whoops. Thanks for the tip.

Rolo
06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Damn, i forgot about fallmute :(

ufopancakes
06-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Thats why I thought you were referring to me...being as I'm a guy in college and you were responding to my post.

dxs
06-30-2008, 08:31 PM
PROTIP: dxs has a twat

I'm gonna hurt you.

dxs
06-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Damn, i forgot about fallmute :(

Huh?

dxs
06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
For what?

Was your gender supposed to remain secret?

No, but...

O.o
Gee, I don't know.

dxs
06-30-2008, 09:06 PM
>:O

I CAN TOO!

Rolo
06-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Huh?

Yer sig?

dxs
08-11-2008, 06:54 PM
BAM!

You'll hurt nothing, fool!

I shall hurt you!
when you are out of probation!

dxs
08-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Yer sig?

yes.
and?

dxs
08-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Mute is the name of the band.
Quite an accomplished band.
You checked it out, Rolo?

infinitee
10-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Well, on the subject of time travel and parallel universes, etc., go read "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. Great stuff. Their world parallels ours in many ways and shit. Just my two cents...

Gera
01-27-2020, 02:52 PM
Just out of curiousity; I know nothing about meditation but i wonder, when you meditate through the whole album, don't tracks like "The Grudge" (the end of the song) or "Ticks & Leeches" (the beginning and end of the song) disturb the process of meditation or give you some sort of unpleasant feeling. I think i would feel very uncomfortable during these tracks.

I think that those aggressive moments of the album are within a context. If you follow this context, then it is a chaotic part of a story that finally descends into a personal experience, but if you appreciate it as separate elements, it certainly stuns you. It also stuns by not knowing what conductive thread is behind all that.

gonzo
01-27-2020, 05:20 PM
mmm, i've got a lot to think about

iAMtheMA!
01-28-2020, 03:30 AM
It also stuns by not knowing what conductive thread is behind all that.

TOOL (for ego death)
"chose to let this go."

"i'm all right now
it's time for us to
let (the ego) go."