PDA

View Full Version : The riff in The Grudge.

blindfold_off
03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
I love listening to a Tool CD that I haven't heard in a while and having it sound fresh. I also pick up on things that I might've not picked up on before. Like the riff in The Grudge, 1:38 into the track, it sounds like there's a delay in it. That's fucking awesome. The whole album is so fresh to me now. I love it.

Hodge
03-20-2008, 04:06 PM
ya i haven't listened to tool in 6 months
it's good to revisit an old friend every now and then

blindfold_off
03-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Exactly.

blake_bergeron
03-20-2008, 05:25 PM
it's been a few months since i listened to undertow and i forgot how powerful it is... it's really easy to get caught up in a new album(not that 10000 days is new... newer i should say)... there are very few bands that can move you with an album 10+ years old the same way they can with a new album...

blindfold_off
03-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Aenima has that same type of "freshness" too. I'm still hearing new stuff in that album too. Undertow also has some sweet music. I especially liked the middle of Swamp Song. Awesome stuff.

LEJend
04-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I had a similar experience after seeing 'em at Staples in LA for the 10k stadium tour. I dug Lateralus the album when it came out but found it difficult to slog through multiple listenings compared to Aenima, and due to various circumstances I never got to see 'em live during that period. Even though my seat at Staples was lame and the sound sucked, for some reason when they played Lateralus I finally "got" it. Gave me goosebumps, hair stoop up on the top of my head, I damn near teared up. Then saw 'em again in SD at a smaller arena with GREAT sound, and definitely teared up when they spiraled out, it was awesome! Now I listen to Lateralus constantly (more than 10k Days) and have a greater appreciation for it in all its glory. Really bummed I never saw 'em during the Aenima and Lateralus tours, but that's why God created YouTube.

taxi_driver
04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Yes, that riff is mighty entertaining.

I still remember the first time I listened to "The Grudge"

imatoolhed
04-01-2008, 02:34 PM
do tell

Hodge
04-01-2008, 02:46 PM
my first time i was like

wtf i hope he doesn't sing like this on the rest of the album

taxi_driver
04-01-2008, 07:45 PM
^ lol

do tell

I was visiting a friend of mine who teaches at this private high school full of rich, stuck-up kids. this one fat kid knows I'm a tool fan, so he shows me his new copy of Lat, and while he's in class with my friend, I listen to it. I'm sitting in the classroom as well. I can't remember if I heard the initial "machine sound", but I do remember the tribal drums kicking it off. fuuuuuuuuck. I just felt like, "shiiiiiiiiiiiit, this is good stuff." At one point I even thought it wasn't tool.

I was also looking at the artwork and I remember being blown away. I remember there really being nothing like it at the time.

A few days later, first chance I got, I went to the music store, but they were all out. They told me new ones would come in at 2. I got there at that time, but still no sign. Then it ocurred to me to visit the other music store in the mall (duh), and there it was. Cheaper, too!

good times...

blake_bergeron
04-02-2008, 09:55 AM
^ lol

I was visiting a friend of mine who teaches at this private high school full of rich, stuck-up kids. this one fat kid knows I'm a tool fan, so he shows me his new copy of Lat, and while he's in class with my friend, I listen to it. I'm sitting in the classroom as well. I can't remember if I heard the initial "machine sound", but I do remember the tribal drums kicking it off. fuuuuuuuuck. I just felt like, "shiiiiiiiiiiiit, this is good stuff." At one point I even thought it wasn't tool.

I was also looking at the artwork and I remember being blown away. I remember there really being nothing like it at the time.

A few days later, first chance I got, I went to the music store, but they were all out. They told me new ones would come in at 2. I got there at that time, but still no sign. Then it ocurred to me to visit the other music store in the mall (duh), and there it was. Cheaper, too!

good times...

i remember when i bought lateralus... there was actually a midnight sale in the town i lived in at the time... so of course i was out there waiting until 12:00:01... good times also...

blake_bergeron
04-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I was listening to Ænima today actually. H. came up in my random playlist so I threw the whole album on. Still dig the whole thing, and Pushit is still the standout on the album in my opinion. Gotta say, no matter how far away my tastes move, I'll always still like the stuff I used to.

yeah, aenima is the album that i associate tool with the most... as weird as that sounds(because tool is all of their albums) aenima is what i always go to when i think tool or am talking to someone about tool... i always start there... i've got my brother in law hooked on them too... i took him to a tool concert last summer and he has been hooked ever since...

blake_bergeron
04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
yeah, aenima is the album that i associate tool with the most... as weird as that sounds(because tool is all of their albums) aenima is what i always go to when i think tool or am talking to someone about tool... i always start there... i've got my brother in law hooked on them too... i took him to a tool concert last summer and he has been hooked ever since...

(because tool is 'associated' with all of their albums) sorry...

blindfold_off
04-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I was listening to Ænima today actually. H. came up in my random playlist so I threw the whole album on. Still dig the whole thing, and Pushit is still the standout on the album in my opinion. Gotta say, no matter how far away my tastes move, I'll always still like the stuff I used to.

Lately I've been getting the meaning of Pushit more and more. Especially the "...slipping back into the gap again.." part.

taxi_driver
04-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Ænima is Tool's pop masterpiece.

blake_bergeron
04-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Ænima is usually what people mean when they talk about Tool... most fans think it's the height of their work.

it's just the first entire tool album i ever listened to... and owned... so that's why it has stuck with me... then i purchased opiate and undertow together... then lateralus came out... then 10000 days... the first tool song i ever heard was sober in 97 i think... after that i was hooked...

Inner_Eulogy
04-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Or at least the most common introduction to Tool.

I was first introduced to Undertow, then Aenima, Opiate, and the albums in order after that. I fell in love with themback then but it grew into a not quite obsession over the years the more I learned. I came on this site for about 1-2years just reading posts and the FAQ and such before I ever even created a screen name.

Inner_Eulogy
04-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I said most common, not always ;)

I'm aware of that, I wasn't discrediting what you were saying, I was just adding my own experience.

taxi_driver
04-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I was first introduced to Undertow, then Aenima, Opiate, and the albums in order after that. I fell in love with themback then but it grew into a not quite obsession over the years the more I learned. I came on this site for about 1-2years just reading posts and the FAQ and such before I ever even created a screen name.

same here.

I remember this kid sold me Opiate cuz it was "satanic".

penguin3989
05-03-2008, 06:28 PM

I agree. Pushit is becoming my favorite on the album as well.

blake_bergeron
05-05-2008, 05:15 AM
i would have to say third eye is my favorite on this album...

setvak
05-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I only started listening to Tool about a year ago and decided to try out Lateralus first because I remember hearing it mentioned in particular in a magazine. Up until that point, I had only heard "Schism", and didn't even know it was a Tool song. So I put it in my stereo first on the ride home, having no idea what to expect, and the opening of "The Grudge" was probably the most powerful experience I've had on my first listen of a band or album. It didn't even sound like they were using just drums, bass, and a guitar, it sounded absolutely ethereal. It took me a while to get into the whole album, but after that I was hooked. I still associate this "new" experience with Lateralus when I listen to it, and it's my favorite Tool album, even though I have all the others now. No disrespect meant to Aenima fans, but I can't really understand why people prefer that album over Lateralus. Although it is an excellent album as well. This might be a reason, actually: I'm not sure if others feel this way, but something about the production of Aenima makes the sound seem a bit murky to me, maybe it's because it was the next album I listened to after Lateralus, and I was used to the crystal-clear sound quality of that album. Just a thought.

blake_bergeron
05-06-2008, 11:27 AM
No disrespect meant to Aenima fans, but I can't really understand why people prefer that album over Lateralus.

most listeners of tool that have been listening since before aenima was released got ingrained by aenima because of the huge difference between it and undertow and the long duration before lateralus... it was, what, 6 years before lateralus came out??? that's a lot of time with the same album... and a lot of people started listening to tool through aenima... undertow only had one single i think, but aenima had 4(i think???) so it was more mainstream and that got a lot of people on board... and despite when anyone started listening to tool, they are entitled to have their own favorite album for their own reasons...

peace

setvak
05-06-2008, 11:32 AM
most listeners of tool that have been listening since before aenima was released got ingrained by aenima because of the huge difference between it and undertow and the long duration before lateralus... it was, what, 6 years before lateralus came out??? that's a lot of time with the same album... and a lot of people started listening to tool through aenima... undertow only had one single i think, but aenima had 4(i think???) so it was more mainstream and that got a lot of people on board... and despite when anyone started listening to tool, they are entitled to have their own favorite album for their own reasons...

peace

OK, I see what you mean. I'll admit I got into them a bit late, and it was only after a guitarist I jammed with recommended them to me. So if I hadn't posted an ad at all, that means no Tool or Bill Hicks for me, or anything else stemming from that. Also, I never saw him again after that initial jam session.

blake_bergeron
05-14-2008, 10:33 AM
OK, I see what you mean. I'll admit I got into them a bit late, and it was only after a guitarist I jammed with recommended them to me. So if I hadn't posted an ad at all, that means no Tool or Bill Hicks for me, or anything else stemming from that. Also, I never saw him again after that initial jam session.

well i'm glad that you got into tool and bill hicks... both positively influential... "rrrrrrrrrrrreal fuckin' high on drugs"... i love that...

setvak
05-14-2008, 07:06 PM
well i'm glad that you got into tool and bill hicks... both positively influential... "rrrrrrrrrrrreal fuckin' high on drugs"... i love that...

Yeah, I think my favorite right now would either be...Artistic Roll Call for the humor, or either Love List (No Future) or Time To Evolve for the message -- in the latter two, you have that classic "There is no future! It doesn't exist!" rant, as well as my signature. As you can tell I'm fond of Rant In E-Minor.

blake_bergeron
05-16-2008, 05:25 AM
Yeah, I think my favorite right now would either be...Artistic Roll Call for the humor, or either Love List (No Future) or Time To Evolve for the message -- in the latter two, you have that classic "There is no future! It doesn't exist!" rant, as well as my signature. As you can tell I'm fond of Rant In E-Minor.

it's a good one... i need to get it...

FatBox
05-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I get the same way with Jambi, after a couple minutes, I get really bored with it and usually skip it about half-way through.

Rolo
05-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I get the same way with Jambi, after a couple minutes, I get really bored with it and usually skip it about half-way through.

Yeah, the song starts off very good but it does not hold this level and makes me wanna skip to the next track somewhere in the middle. Despite to the good ending...

Carny_Handles
05-19-2008, 05:28 AM
my first time i was like

wtf i hope he doesn't sing like this on the rest of the album

me too, when i first played it I didnt think it was maynard at all. At the time I recently saw the melvins open for tool and I thought Buzz was singing the opening line.

blake_bergeron
05-22-2008, 05:19 AM

blasphemy...

blindfold_off
05-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Jambi fucking rocks. I love the drumming in it.