PDA

View Full Version : Me playing the Patient.

holy reality
09-11-2003, 02:29 PM
www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/holyreality/patient.mp3

it's incomplete... and i'm probably going to re work the last part but.... tell me what you think.. this is my first attempt at layering multiple tracks in CEP... well... in anything... actually... aside from my little king of the hill medley...

It's damn hard getting them to line up exactly... not to mention attempting to record them so that they WILL line up exactly.

Let me know what you think... the timing feels a little weird at time and the last part has a few screw ups, which i'll probably re work... but other than that it seems pretty good.

Elgyn
09-11-2003, 03:53 PM
not bad man, not bad at all.
The only thing I'd have to say is that the notes in the intro are a little off. The bass which runs over the hammer ons (or whatever they are). Obviously you don't have a bass so its going to sound different, but anyway.

I found it seriously tough to get the hang of using CEP for ages, and time synching things was not easy. The metronome can be helpful just in keep a consistent tempo (beats per minute). I'd say you've done pretty well with it though.
Good stuff, I enjoyed it.

holy reality
09-11-2003, 04:06 PM
not bad man, not bad at all.
The only thing I'd have to say is that the notes in the intro are a little off. The bass which runs over the hammer ons (or whatever they are). Obviously you don't have a bass so its going to sound different, but anyway.

I found it seriously tough to get the hang of using CEP for ages, and time synching things was not easy. The metronome can be helpful just in keep a consistent tempo (beats per minute). I'd say you've done pretty well with it though.
Good stuff, I enjoyed it.

oh yeah... i kind of learned the intro the wrong way but i like the way it sounds... i play

----------------------
----------------------
----------------------
-------2------2----2----2-
----0------0----3----0----
--3-----0---------------

or something like that....

when it's actually

----------------------
----------------------
----------------------
----0---2----0---2-----2-----2-
----------------------3----0----
--3-------0---------------

or use a 5 on the a string.. but it sounds similar enough and i like it that way.

is fruity loops easier to manage and layer multiple tracks with? i've been thinking about getting it....

anyway thanks for the input.

and no i don't have a bass..... i wish i did though... i may eventually get one.

Elgyn
09-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Fruity Loops just confused the shit out of me...
I didn't give it a fair go though, because I don't really have the time. A lot of other people on here use it though, so they'll be able to help you out with it.

I'm listening to the intro now, and you're right, it does sound pretty good. I just naturally compare it to Tool's version.

I'm dying for a bass too... it allows so much more diversity when recording.

Dredg
09-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Eon Blue has no bass in it

its Adam tremolo picking while his left hand hits the low D

yes in the patient....the wah sound is bass....Justin is doing it with his knobs...

holy reality
09-12-2003, 05:44 AM
Eon Blue has no bass in it

its Adam tremolo picking while his left hand hits the low D

yes in the patient....the wah sound is bass....Justin is doing it with his knobs...

i didn't play bass, i played the low D.... lol

and like i said, i don't have a bass

so keeping in that in mind... what did you think of it?

Dredg
09-12-2003, 07:36 AM
yeah its nice.....alittle too fast but nice...

reign3
09-12-2003, 01:47 PM
That's pretty good. I tried my own but I can't figure out how to upload it. I made an Angelfire page and it won't let me upload it. Any suggestions?

holy reality
09-12-2003, 02:03 PM
That's pretty good. I tried my own but I can't figure out how to upload it. I made an Angelfire page and it won't let me upload it. Any suggestions?
make sure there aren't any spaces or weird characters in the file name....

reign3
09-12-2003, 02:16 PM
I'm lost at this angelfire thing. I'm at the part where it has the files/directories? and the list of stuff that I've uploaded. When I go to my site there's really nothing there but a big angelfire add and whatnot. How do I get it going? Shit this is frustrating.

holy reality
09-12-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm lost at this angelfire thing. I'm at the part where it has the files/directories? and the list of stuff that I've uploaded. When I go to my site there's really nothing there but a big angelfire add and whatnot. How do I get it going? Shit this is frustrating.

what is your file called, what directory is it in? and what is your webpage address?

in order to link to it from your page you'd go to the editor and add a link.....

if you have it in advanced edit mode you type < a href="http://www.angelfire.com/yoursite/yoursite/song.mp3" > link title < / a >

without the spaces inbetween the brackets and the slash.

but if you have it uploaded just post in here and type the link to it... i.e. www.angelfire.com/yoursite/yoursite/song.mp3

unless you put it in a directory other than the main, then you'd do

www.angelfire.com/yoursite/yoursite/directory/song.mp3

reign3
09-12-2003, 02:35 PM
I'll give this a try, though I don't think it will work. Tell me if it works. It'll be a wav file and for some reason my computer doesn't play wav files so I won't be able to tell.

http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/blog/reign3/Muzac/the_patient_minewav_.mp3

edit: this ain't working

holy reality
09-12-2003, 02:49 PM
and the song is actually up there? things need to be capitalized exactly like you have them...

reign3
09-12-2003, 02:58 PM
This is fucked up.

I'm trying it now at mp3.com and it keeps saying that errors occured while trying to upload my file. It's 11.9mb, so I waited like 10 minutes for it to load, just for it to say, "It didn't work...HAHAHA! go fuck yourself"

That's exactly what the screen said. Weird isn't it?

This is driving me nuts. How do you get it to work at angelfire? Hell, how do you make a site there? I've got an adress and everything, I just don't know how to get anything onto it.

holy reality
09-12-2003, 03:21 PM
if you wanna change your password to something really lame, then PM me it maybe i can get it to work.... i did that for the guy who couldn't get his 3rd eye video to show up

and if it's a wav file it would be .wav, not .mp3

TheTemperamentalGoat
09-13-2003, 02:01 AM
What Third Eye video?

reign3
09-13-2003, 03:08 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/blog/reign3/patientagain.wav

ok, here's my version. many thanks to holy reality for helping me out with getting it up. i made a few mistakes in it, and I think the heavier part should have been faster, but oh well. and please disregard that little thing at the end. you'll know what I mean when you hear it.

holy reality
09-13-2003, 03:15 PM
you're welcome reign

and i'd like to comment that wavs are of the devil and people should find some way to convert their clips into mp3s......

i can't listen to it until i'm free, which will probably be monday though....

reign3
09-13-2003, 03:16 PM
you're welcome reign

and i'd like to comment that wavs are of the devil and people should find some way to convert their clips into mp3s......

i can't listen to it until i'm free, which will probably be monday though....

it's only a 1:23

I didn't play the whole thing. Come on holy!!

thaddeus
09-13-2003, 07:54 PM
It's damn hard getting them to line up exactly... not to mention attempting to record them so that they WILL line up exactly.

i don't know about earlier versions, but with CEP 2.0 it's really easy to do multiple tracks and have them line up perfectly.
you just have to use the multi track view and click the little red button with an R on it (next to the mute and solo buttons) on an empty track and hit record.

thaddeus

holy reality
09-14-2003, 08:55 AM
i don't know about earlier versions, but with CEP 2.0 it's really easy to do multiple tracks and have them line up perfectly.
you just have to use the multi track view and click the little red button with an R on it (next to the mute and solo buttons) on an empty track and hit record.

thaddeus

yeah but how the hell do you ensure that you are playing in time with what you have just recorded? you have to be listening to what you are trying to overlap to......

i didn't try to record in multi track view before, though.

reign... you have a really interesting tone going on.... it sounds almost synth like, the cleans.... then some sort of insane fuzz....

did you do all that with an audio prog? if not, whats your setup?

reign3
09-14-2003, 04:09 PM
I didn't do any editing at all. I have a pretty cheap Epiphone Gibson Les Paul, I played it through my little M audio preamp and I used light delay. I have a Boss DD-3 delay, then I used my Boss DS-1 distortion pedal.

Do you think it sounds good? I like it, even though it's nothing really elaborate.

And what part were you refering to when you said it sounded synth-like? Or did you mean the whole thing in general?

And I didn't listen to the real track while I did it because I just don't like doing that for some reason. I guess it's because I like to have a little more freedom and room to tweak some things.

holy reality
09-14-2003, 04:23 PM
I didn't do any editing at all. I have a pretty cheap Epiphone Gibson Les Paul, I played it through my little M audio preamp and I used light delay. I have a Boss DD-3 delay, then I used my Boss DS-1 distortion pedal.

Do you think it sounds good? I like it, even though it's nothing really elaborate.

And what part were you refering to when you said it sounded synth-like? Or did you mean the whole thing in general?

And I didn't listen to the real track while I did it because I just don't like doing that for some reason. I guess it's because I like to have a little more freedom and room to tweak some things.

the clean intro had a synth like feel to it....

it sounded pretty good but in comparison to the original it didn't sound that much like it.... tone wise

it had kind of a spacey, digital, futuuristic feel to it....

and i didn't listen to the real track when i did mine either.

the M audio preamp, is that the thing you were looking at getting for recording? how are you liking it?

reign3
09-14-2003, 04:42 PM
the clean intro had a synth like feel to it....

it sounded pretty good but in comparison to the original it didn't sound that much like it.... tone wise

it had kind of a spacey, digital, futuuristic feel to it....

and i didn't listen to the real track when i did mine either.

the M audio preamp, is that the thing you were looking at getting for recording? how are you liking it?

Spacey, digital and futuristic? That's cool. I guess I want my sound to feel trippy and if it does, that's great.

I like the preamp so far. The only complaint I have about it is the distortion it has (the gain). It's pretty damn weak. That's why I went out and got the Boss pedal which was only like $35 which is pretty cheap for a Boss pedal.

By the way, what was that CEP thing you guys were talking about?

psilomind
09-14-2003, 05:36 PM
By the way, what was that CEP thing you guys were talking about?
CoolEdit Pro... I've only been using it for a little while and its already my favorite recording program thus far. Definitely something you should look into getting, in my opinion.

Dirty Sanchez
09-14-2003, 06:35 PM
I've been looking for good recording software for some time so im definatly gonna try CoolEdit. I liked Cakewalk Guitar Studio 2 but i haven't been able to get a hold of a full version.

thaddeus
09-16-2003, 03:24 PM
yeah but how the hell do you ensure that you are playing in time with what you have just recorded? you have to be listening to what you are trying to overlap to......

i didn't try to record in multi track view before, though.

yeah, you record your first guitar in the wav view. then switch to multitrack view and drag your wav onto track one. then hit the red butoon on track two and the record button at the bottom and it will play the first track while it records the second. you may have to adjust some of your sound card properties if it doesn't work right the first time.

thaddeus

reign3
09-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Anybody have anything to say about my version? Any feedback would be great, thanks.

Dufos
09-16-2003, 04:28 PM
holy- sounds pretty good, nice job

reign3- i like yours a little more,
I can tell you had some fun with the distortion
hehe

holy reality
09-16-2003, 04:31 PM
poo... now i have to compete with reign and actually make mine sound better

i suppose that's a good thing though, any motivation to make music is good

damned school though... it gets in the way.

Dufos
09-16-2003, 06:01 PM
poo... now i have to compete with reign and actually make mine sound better

i suppose that's a good thing though, any motivation to make music is good

damned school though... it gets in the way.

school is what made me quit playing the guitar, I only took about three months of lessons so I really didn't learn anything, mainly because I would never practice......if I get less homework this year, I'll pick it up again

and yeah- use that as some motivation i guess.... my friends keep asking me to join their band, which is another reason to start playing again

Absolute_Chaos
09-16-2003, 06:24 PM
school is what made me quit playing the guitar, I only took about three months of lessons so I really didn't learn anything, mainly because I would never practice......if I get less homework this year, I'll pick it up again

and yeah- use that as some motivation i guess.... my friends keep asking me to join their band, which is another reason to start playing again

Man i failed school bacause i enjoyed music too much i know how you feel.

All the time i should have been doing work, P.E, studying i spend in the music Room, my teacher was cool with it as well. I went back to my high school last week to talk to my old music teacher and he let my band play and a preformance the school held made me realize how much i miss using the schools music gear.

Windir
09-18-2003, 03:37 AM
I like it thought I'm not pretty sure about what you guys were talking about. ;)

holy reality
09-18-2003, 11:37 AM
sounds good to me. I can't do both the strumming of the bass string and the other melody on the intro together at the same time. Niether can I do the wah-wah part together with the the main riff. I can't really sing while playing the song together. Good job man. Keep it up. Doing much better than me at the ole gee-tar.

the key is you don't strum the low D... you hammer on...

as in while you are tremelo picking, take your left hand, and tap those notes....

then the last note, the open D... is a pull of... i think 5p0 or something

i can never remember how to play a song, or tab it out, without a guitar in my hand

and i'm most definitely not playing the "wah wah" part WHILE i'm playing the main part... that's impossible man... lol....

i just recorded the "wah wah part" and put it on top of the main part.

apparently it's justin that plays that part though.

March The Scaffold
09-27-2003, 12:08 PM
I liked both of your guys' version, but you both need to buy a metronome and play to it. Holy's version was just plain to fast, and reigns was good at first, but then you sped up later on. You guitar players are lucky you have us drummers or all music would be like that! haha jk ;) Also reign, I think you where in the wrong signature when you where playing the high pitched psycadelic part. It's in 5/4 and it sounded like you where in 4. Adam Jones has to be the best rythm guitarist ever. That guy has such a good feel.