PDA

View Full Version : edited vs. unedited lateralus

SageBerkano
09-10-2003, 12:54 PM
i've been looking online lately on sites for tool cd's and there is two versions of lateralus (edited & unedited). i probably have the edited version, but what's the difference? there are no inappropriate pictures or swearing on this cd... why is there two?

Jonzard
09-11-2003, 05:18 PM
probably a radio edit, because they cut it down for time..... stupid radio

Macrame
09-11-2003, 05:20 PM
It's probably the horrible version of Lateralus that's shortened for bastard radio DJs. Seriously, every time I hear the "Tool rocks on 106.5 K-Whale" advertisement that's followed up with that edit I get so pissed off. That song isn't Tool, it's a hunk of horse crap thrown at a stop sign which somebody chose to call art. The edited version removed the introduction, a good deal of vocal rests during the verses, the interlude, and an entire guitar solo. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Maybe I'm wrong and it's just another Tool mystery (DAH!). This means they need to update the FAQ.

Underalus
09-13-2003, 12:41 PM
I've never heard Lateralus on the radio, only Schism and Parabola. Does that mean that Lateralus is a new single or something? Do you think they'll make a video for it cause it would kick ass. I think they should leave the length on it if they make a video. The Parabol/a video is like 9 minutes long and they added a fuckin intro to it, same as Schism's video. Why the fuck would you cut it, it's meant to be played the way it was made.

SageBerkano
09-14-2003, 12:08 PM
u know how wal-mart only sells edited cd's? thats where i got my copy of lateralus. the song lateralus isn't shortened at all (thank god!)... thats why i would think there's no difference.

i've never actually heard parabola on the radio. mostly i just hear stinkfist... i find it kind of humorous.

faceless other
09-17-2003, 04:41 PM
I as well got my lateralus album at wal-mart... I feel sad for buying it there, but I had no were else to get it at.
BUt this was around the time of its release.
And there are no edits to it what so ever. So I dont think the "edited" version is anything more then a way to get the wal-marts of the world to carry the album.

supersonic2006
09-24-2003, 03:58 PM
I think some people have the right idea here, but just to clear thigns up.

Wal-Mart doesn't need an edited sticker to sell something.

So long as it doesn't have the [explicit content] one. Since Lateralus isn't "explicit" (this adjective is being used wrongly anyway)

Wal-Mart would, sell the original Lateralus cd, because there is no need for editing. I bought Incubus' Make Yourself Album, which has fuck and shit in it numerous times at Wal-Mart. But, due to lack of a sticker, Wal-Mart didnt' know the difference.

The Edited Lateralus cd is as others have previously stated. A shortened version for people so impatient that they can't listen to 10 minute songs.

Whenever the radio plays Lateralus it really bugs me... they cut off the first minute of the song. AN ENTIRE MINUTE! that's like, the entire intro into the song, without it there's no build, it's being raped of its musicality.