PDA

View Full Version : Prison Sex and Spread of Religion

iS!
12-05-2002, 04:40 PM
Okay. I wrote a paper for a poetry class in May/June of this year, in which I analyzed the lyrics of this song. I came upon a startling discovery on a possible interpretation beneath the surface of the lyrics. Unfortunately, I turned in what I believe was the only hard copy of it, and the only soft copy I knew existed (I e-mailed it to a friend, but I doubt he has kept it) was only recently swallowed up into the spaces between silicon atoms. However, all the thoughts are here, so I'll do the best I can.

We all know what the lyrics are on the surface—an incredible, poetic description of the cycle of abuse. Let me talk for a bit about child sexual abuse and prison sex, so that I may contrast them. Sexual abuse on a child, as it would seem from victims' descriptions, is not met with a whole lot of resistance because they don't understand it. They don't know how wrong and disgusting it is, or really what's going on, so they are extremely vulnerable to it. In contrast, prison sex is much more violent because the victim is aware of all this. The victim has to have his resistance broken down; he must be incapacitated however possible.

Now. Thinking about the lyrics before I realized this possibility I'm about to give you in detail, I wasn't sure what my paper would be about. I ran the lyrics through my head. BOOM! I suddenly realized that there were many religious references in the song:

"...so young and vestal then." Vestal refers to purity and virginity, but it comes from Vesta, a Roman goddess.
"Got my hands bound, my head down, and my eyes closed." Standard praying position.
"Do unto others what has been done to you." Obvious retooling of the Golden Rule.
"I'm treading water." (This wasn't actually in my paper, but I have since considered the possibility of a reference to baptism.)
"My lamb and martyr..." Both words have been used many times to refer to Jesus.
"I can't stand to burn too long." Possible hell reference.
"I am your witness that blood and flesh can be trusted." Blood and flesh: the Eucharist.
"Only this one holy medium brings me peace of mind." "Holy medium" is pretty obvious.

Let's go back to the sexual abuse/prison sex comparison. How does religion spread? Parents are obliged to pass it to their children, and missionaries are obliged to force it on aboriginal peoples. To these missionaries, they are pagans (vestal). And children are pure and religionless. The natives must be scourged into prayer, and children obey helplessly (hands bound, head down, eyes closed). Their throats are wide open as the religious shove religion down. And these inductees into the religion now are made to feel the same obligation to pass it on (to do unto others what has been done to them). They are overwhelmed and almost swallowed up by their entry into religious living (I'm treading water), all because parents or missionaries want them to be like Jesus (lambs and martyrs). The missionaries and parents fear God and the possibility of eternal damnation if they don't put others in God's way (can't stand to burn). They want to show that it is the right way (blood and flesh can be trusted), and they feel satisfied, if temporarily, by fulfilling their duty (this holy medium brings peace of mind).

There's another religious reference that doesn't seem as such until you take other Tool stuff into account: "I'm/You're breathing so I guess I'm/you're still alive, even if signs seem to tell me otherwise." Here's a quote from the Ænima liner notes now: "Beliefs allow a mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead." The signs that seem to tell that the person is not still alive are the beliefs.

If this were a paper, I'd type a conclusion here, but everything is in the paragraphs above, and I want to keep the information density high. All I'll say is that the two layers, religion and abuse, fit together well. And good poetry allows for all sorts of interpretations to be offered.

IrisoftheShadow
12-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Very enligtening...
It was those relgious references that detered by analysis of "Prison Sex". The most widely-known intepretation of this song is child abuse--most likely sexual. But Maynard speaks of "lamb and matyr" and "blood and flesh" which both refer to Jesus Christ. Forcing religious beliefs on children VS. Child abuse and Rape? Wow, maynard always leaves his audience with a wide variety of interpretations.

foolmartyr
12-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Prison sex can relate to religion being forced on people. Sexual abuse makes for an excellent metaphor. As a child, we freely take on our parents religion with our hands bound. In my case, as I got older, my doubt kept increasing but I still kept faith feeling as if i needed it to make me whole. I continued to look for something great in relgion but couldn't find it.....but still it was being forced on me.

iS!
12-10-2002, 04:42 PM
Ah, this is exactly what I was looking for... further elaborations on my interpretation, with new ideas I hadn't thought of! Thanks, people!

OpiAtE_666
12-30-2002, 12:24 AM
That's a really cool interpretation, I never really looked at the song that way. Just the other day I was listening to Sober and wondering if it might be about religion too ("Jesus won't you fucking whistle") But with Prison Sex the idea never occured to me.

munkyman
01-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Wow... that's an amazing interpretation. And it's an excellent metaphor. A child, being forced upon is very similiar to having religion forced upon us. I grew up with it all around me, and pretty much accepted it and played along for quite a while. I eventually realized that I didn't buy it much at all and got out of the motions. Tool has opened my eyes in so many ways, I love reading these interpretations. Thanks!

LA_sucksballs
01-19-2003, 08:49 PM
I havnt really had time to analyze the song that much, but all the things you, and others have said make sense. The Religion vs. Child abuse fight, im not sure what one i lean towards. I kind of think its more about abuse, with a religous twist. Maybe abuse IS like religon, in the sence that the people involved (the abuser), and the acts that occur become almost religon. After awhile, the abuser may turn into a christ like figure, the abused develops an attachment to him/her. Also, the abuser might see the abused as something to make him whole, and visa versa. I think the words or phrases u pointed out, have to do with religon, but i dont think that what the song is about entirely. Maybe im just taking the words to literal, or maybe everyone else is taking to much out of them? Some of the things said in the song just dont make sense to me, if u try to put them into religous terms. Yeah.. I dont know where im going with this...

Convoy_X
02-11-2003, 01:34 AM
thats very interesting but i just want you all to keep in mind that if some one can convince people that a telitubby is gay that people can be convinced of anything. my friends mom had him convinced that the x-men and the ninja turtles were all about the devil and demons and that kind of thing all because some Baptist pastor wrought it in a book and made it very interesting

Sora
02-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Convoy_X
thats very interesting but i just want you all to keep in mind that if some one can convince people that a telitubby is gay that people can be convinced of anything.

I would hope that everyone here is above that.

Keep that in mind at all times, thank you...

The JoZ
03-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Maybe Prison Sex is simply about being coerced into anything?

Whether it's having religion, a way of life or being sexually abused...can't it all just equate back to being (involuntarily) submissive?

His hands are bound...meaning he can't do anything
His head is down...meaning he's only looking at the floor, or one thing...being the religion/whatever he's being forced into believing in
His eyes are closed...maybe he feels like he doesn't belong, and doesn't want to fully accept it..but...he does because
Can't stand to burn...what happens to him if he's not blind and petty and takes whatever shit he's given without question...

And maybe he only trusts whoever is forcing whatever upon them because they are human...he doesn't like or trust the idea, but because someone is forcing it to him...he thinks in the end everything will be ok....

Rincewind
03-15-2003, 01:31 AM
That reminds me of a syndrome experienced by victims of kidnapping.
I've only seen examples of it used with teenage girls, but I guess it could in some respects work with males aswell.

It involves the victim growing a sense of admiration for their kidnapper (possibly even rapist). They're suddenly seen as a strong person. Some they could even look up to and follow.
Then when they are finally released or recovered, they refuse to help the police with convicting their kidnapper.

I know one example where it's shown is the James Bond movie, The World is Not Enough. But it is actually a real, not just hollywood invention I know that. I just can't quite remember the full details about it. But I think you understand my point.

It's kind of like a son who is beaten by their father and some how respects it as being "disciplined" and being a real man etc. etc.
However, this is somewhat different seeing as the son's father is his role-model. I somewhat doubt that under normal circumstances, someone would see a kidnapper as a good role-model.

the spiral
03-23-2003, 08:10 AM
I always took the song just being about something, whether it be religion or sexual abuse, being forced upon an individual, and that individual accepting it just because they are afraid of the consequences of not accepting it(ie hell or afraid of "the rapist"). I dont think there is any right or wrong answer. That is the beauty of any Tool song, it can mean so many different things depending on how you take it.

nate
04-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Very interesting view toward this song. Now when I listen to it I feel like I am listening to a whole new song. Thanks for sharing this!

ArthurDent
04-13-2003, 07:11 PM
This is a very interesting interpreation of the song. I had never thought of it before, but it seems plausible. Anyway, your interpretation is backed up by the fact that if this song is comparing forcing beliefs on a person with sexually abusing him or her, it isn't the first time that Tool has made such an analogy. I think we all remember these lines from "Opiate:"

"My God's will/Becomes me./When he speaks,/He speaks
through me./He has needs,/like I do./We both want/to
rape you."

This interpreation of "Prison Sex" certainly made a lot more sense to me after I recalled those lyrics from "Opiate." This thread is one of the few threads on this forum that is truly a "New Thought," and I'd like to thank the poster for sharing it with us. Even though this interpretation makes more sense to me than any other interpreation of "Prison Sex" I've ever heard of, I don't think it is the "right" interpreation, because with most Tool songs, there is no "right" interpretation, and that's what makes Tool's lyrics amazing and makes this forum possible. Just as "Stinkfist" is about some kind of desensitization, whether it be sexual, societal, religous, etc., "Prison Sex" is about something being forced on someone, whether it be sex, beliefs, or whatever.

Geoff L.
04-23-2003, 12:04 PM
i like cheese does anyone else like cheese???

lotus
05-10-2003, 08:46 AM
...the hell?

Anyways, as said numerous times before, this is indeed a wonderful take on this song.

One thing i noticed, "Do unto others what has been done to you," you mentioned this as a "retooling of the Golden Rule." This reminds me of how lots of religious leaders twist the teachings of the Bible, Qu'ran, whatnot, into something completely different from the original intent. Or, how followers of the religion will misinterpret a line or two, finding a meaning in it which could be opposite of the original. For instance, when I was growing up in a private Episcopal school in Texas, I was told a similar Golden Rule almost every day: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." And I always wondered, what if someone doesn't love himself/herself? That would make things worse, right?

I dunno, I kinda rambled for a minute there. Whatever.

Oh by the way, I've been here since November, and this is my third post. I haven't had the time that I thought I would have to post here more often. Just in case you were wondering.

-john