PDA

View Full Version : Your trigger?

Schema
02-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Okay, I think I have this song mostly figured out. But, one thing...

"Rest your trigger on my finger"?

What the fuck does this mean? My initial belief is that the line implies that the object will, at some point, take issue with the narrator and attribute all blame to him, when it is really the object's fault.

Am I anywhere near correct on this front?

TheDude420
02-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Your guess is as good as mine man...i dont know. It may be a metaphor for the object needing something to manifest itself with, a vehicle to fully materialize. Separation, the act of pulling away, needs a avenue in which to come about, something to help it get started.

Im thinking the same thing you are dude. You put YOUR trigger on my finger so it will be my fault for all intents and purposes, but you know its really not my fault the gun went off, not my fault we blew apart.

or maybe not

Rolo
02-21-2008, 05:18 AM
"Give me the opportunity (gun/trigger) and i will deal with the consequences (BANG!)"

Inner_Eulogy
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
I think he's basically just saying, you're pushing me to do this. Don't make me do this. You placed your trigger around my finger, you're pushing me to do this.

][ncognito
02-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Agreed. Especially in conjuncture with the second phrase:

Rest your trigger on my finger / Bang my head upon the faultline

Basically as you have said, placing the trigger, the breaking point, the cause into the hands of the narrator. Once the trigger is set off, "it's the narrator's fault" because the narrator set it off, despite the object of the song placing it there in the first place. Then with the second phrase, obviously geologically the faultlines are where eathquakes are triggers. Bang the narrators head upon the faultline, actively agitating an already unstable condition.

So basically it seems to be saying they've put a fragile, volatile situation in the narrators hands and then agitate it to set it off.

Rolo
02-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I think he's basically just saying, you're pushing me to do this. Don't make me do this. You placed your trigger around my finger, you're pushing me to do this.

Yes, that makes sense. Good interpretation.

Inner_Eulogy
02-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes, that makes sense. Good interpretation.

I can totally relate to this song. "Rest your trigger around my finger, bang my head upon the fault line...better take care not to make me enter because if you do we both may disappear". It's about love and control. Maynard has said before this song live "ever loved anyone enough that you had to kill them?" or something along those lines. It's when you love someone so much but they are just NOT the right person for you, they push your buttons, lie to you, push you, verbally abusive yet you're not strong enough to leave because you think you are in love. This character in this story was finally pushed to a breaking point where they had so much hate for this person while at the same time loving them, it's a very complicated feeling yet when this antagonizer pushed this person to the breaking point he's saying "if you don't leave right now and stop pushing me, I'll fucking kill you and tear your fucking throat out". I feel this way about my ex, I still love her so much but she did me so wrong and is so heartless and careless about it and I prayed she wouldn't continue to push me and play games with my emotions or I would eventually snap on her.

Ravenpig
02-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Nice post. This song helped me get past my ex as well.

Corksil
02-21-2008, 07:34 PM
It means whatever you want it to mean.

But keep digging until you feel something.

Schema
02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Cool, I'm not on the wrong kinds of drugs.

It means whatever you want it to mean.

Heh. Okay.

TheDude420
02-22-2008, 10:58 AM

Huh huh huh huh huh huh sweet

iAMtheMA!
02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
inner's not gonna like this, but couldn't the "trigger" represent the THIRD EYE? it really isn't all that hard to imagine. after all, the "vicarious" video shows a flaming finger streaking out from the mystical eye source and smacks X's right in the third eye. the same sort of thing also occurs during both the "stinkfist" and "schism" videos. so, yeah... :D

hey, this really IS your brain on tool! woweee!

Schema
02-22-2008, 12:16 PM

I have seen UFOs split the sky like a sheet, but I have never looked at an egg and thought it was a fuckin' brain... not once.

At this point, it was almost obligatory.

But hey, thanks for all the help.

Rolo
02-22-2008, 12:22 PM
I have seen UFOs split the sky like a sheet, but I have never looked at an egg and thought it was a fuckin' brain... not once.

LOL

iAMtheMA!
02-22-2008, 01:02 PM
perhaps...

'cept jello biafra specifically asked "is this your brain on tool?" to close out the "parabola" music video commentary. ;)wink

Inner_Eulogy
02-23-2008, 01:36 PM
inner's not gonna like this, but couldn't the "trigger" represent the THIRD EYE? it really isn't all that hard to imagine. after all, the "vicarious" video shows a flaming finger streaking out from the mystical eye source and smacks X's right in the third eye. the same sort of thing also occurs during both the "stinkfist" and "schism" videos. so, yeah... :D

Jesus H Christ man, are you fucking serious? Get over it dude. You're like one of those stalker ex's that just never go away. No matter how many times the girl tells you to fuck off and go away you show up knocking at the window......

Schema
02-23-2008, 07:47 PM
perhaps...

'cept jello biafra specifically asked "is this your brain on tool?" to close out the "parabola" music video commentary. ;)wink

So, can we correct the "I have seen UFOs split the sky like a sheet" sentence?

iAMtheMA!
02-23-2008, 09:03 PM
even as the true resident hicks quoter, i still can't understand wut yer gettin at

edit: think about "under a dead ohio sky" ...and your mind. wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnk, get it yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet?

/i'm drunk

TheDude420
02-24-2008, 04:17 AM
did you just say yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet?

Tool_Is_Sick
02-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Jesus H Christ man, are you fucking serious? Get over it dude. You're like one of those stalker ex's that just never go away. No matter how many times the girl tells you to fuck off and go away you show up knocking at the window......

LOL. I love when I knock on the window and the bitch tells me to get the fuck outta here and to get a life. Its truly a remarkable experience. Syke just kidding.

Inner, I agree with you 100% man. He has high hopes for his third eye references. He fails miserably each time. Well maybe not..each time.

iAMtheMA!
02-24-2008, 09:25 PM
goddamn, it's so fucking obvious. since i don't have too much time, here are a few random things to consider...

"is this your brain on drugs?" on the parabola video as the initiate finalizes a realization of unity consciousness, entering the 46&2 christ grid ...seemed alright. "glad to have you aboard" from david cross on the vicarious vid ...interesting. what's with the collaboration with alex grey? what is his art ALL about? (and then look at alllll those third eyes!) what underlying theme ran throughout most (IF NOT ALL!) of bill hicks' comedy? (check the guy within the aenima liners!) bill hicks: "...don't ...you ...see?" (he'd say while gesturing some sort of consciousness perception flowing out of the third eye) hell, there are sooo many fuckin' tool references bounced off of his comedy alone that it MUST mean something more than "eulogy's about 'em", right? what about the songs tool and apc have covered? how do they change the songs/lyrics from the originals (if at all) ...and why? what's with the connections to king crimson, isis, meshuggah, mastadon, the melvins? why would a band chase some of the most occulticized and/or alchemical scriptures, illustrations, artifacts, and accounts AND insist on uber-occultist blair to be their webpage's maintainer and author of the monthly newsletters? aleister crowley, thoth, timothy leary, terrence mckenna, robert anton wilson, etc? why why why? why does adams' myspace mention "not a prediction, not philosophical speculation, but scientific truth" along side some anatomy pics? (hm, and something to do with "perspective") why is the band's official club (toolarmy) subtitled "the collective unconscious"? within the oct 1, 2005 myspace blog entry on adam's site, there's a picture of blair. what is the "symbolism"? (hint: see end of schism video ...note the flames). why are THOSE books "suggested reading"? shouldn't we think about these things? why was maynard/adam involved with mr.show and run ronnie run? the show was entirely based on social commentary, strengthening art, and destroying preconceptions, mind you. check the movie: "oh, fat kid, what have you done, you've turned our preconceptions upside down" ...flames (a schism hint for ya). go here: http://www.toolband.com/links/main.html ...toolband, left-brain. "eye hole deep in muddy waters", "repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of HIS fleeting time here" (see "we're gonna miss HIM" and "everyone will have HIS day to die").

why does everything seem to fit or at least point towards something that could? and no, not just one song ...everything maynard seems to involve himself in.

it's just one way to look at tool. just like it's just one way of looking at hicks, alex grey, blair's musings, etc. certainly you know that they're all into alchemy, unity, love ('cause fear = death/mind-killer), evolution, and enlightenment. layers of meaning. you know how when you're tripping sac and EVERYTHING can be interpreted in a different light? their music's like a prism. why is tool's music so purposefully psychedelic and layered? throughout my digging, i had come across alchemical drawings that not only show an interesting account of people, demons, archetypes, metals, etc ...the true message behind it all was made hidden from the casual observer. to discover its true essence, it required deep concentration, contemplation, consideration, "love under will", etc. "you'd better listen!" it's the only way ONE may possess the "philosopher's STONE" (see howerdel's ashes divine: the stone, and "give away the stone", "here we have a stone" spark, flame, fire! - i.e. NOT "mildewed and smoldering"! ...liquid fire, kundalini, the flaming pinecone) and to transmutate base metal consciousness into golden enlightenment ("what's singing songs is a snake, looking to turn MY piss to wine", "IT'S ALWAYS GONNA BE SOUR GRAPES WITH YOU BOY UNTIL YOU GET RIGHT WITH JESUS" - christ consciousness, 46&2, end of vicarious "he becomes christ-like"). why bring this up? not only do they know how to analyze alchemical illustrations and prose, but i'm fairly certain danny carey and the bunch are gonna try to bring the same sort of thing through their own version of art ...it's ALL just a matter of perception. "you are the chosen ONE (!!!) - the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who chose to hear it and a warning for those who do not". or as maynard's vineyand page - called fuckin' CADUCEUS (look it up?) - cites: "it's all about the alchemy". and, again, the puscifer myspace "pics" section shows a golden faucet piece: "turning my piss to wine".

look at me fail everywhere..

Inner_Eulogy
02-25-2008, 10:39 AM
goddamn, it's so fucking obvious. since i don't have too much time, here are a few random things to consider...

"is this your brain on drugs?" on the parabola video as the initiate finalizes a realization of unity consciousness, entering the 46&2 christ grid ...seemed alright. "glad to have you aboard" from david cross on the vicarious vid ...interesting. what's with the collaboration with alex grey? what is his art ALL about? (and then look at alllll those third eyes!) what underlying theme ran throughout most (IF NOT ALL!) of bill hicks' comedy? (check the guy within the aenima liners!) bill hicks: "...don't ...you ...see?" (he'd say while gesturing some sort of consciousness perception flowing out of the third eye) hell, there are sooo many fuckin' tool references bounced off of his comedy alone that it MUST mean something more than "eulogy's about 'em", right? what about the songs tool and apc have covered? how do they change the songs/lyrics from the originals (if at all) ...and why? what's with the connections to king crimson, isis, meshuggah, mastadon, the melvins? why would a band chase some of the most occulticized and/or alchemical scriptures, illustrations, artifacts, and accounts AND insist on uber-occultist blair to be their webpage's maintainer and author of the monthly newsletters? aleister crowley, thoth, timothy leary, terrence mckenna, robert anton wilson, etc? why why why? why does adams' myspace mention "not a prediction, not philosophical speculation, but scientific truth" along side some anatomy pics? (hm, and something to do with "perspective") why is the band's official club (toolarmy) subtitled "the collective unconscious"? within the oct 1, 2005 myspace blog entry on adam's site, there's a picture of blair. what is the "symbolism"? (hint: see end of schism video ...note the flames). why are THOSE books "suggested reading"? shouldn't we think about these things? why was maynard/adam involved with mr.show and run ronnie run? the show was entirely based on social commentary, strengthening art, and destroying preconceptions, mind you. check the movie: "oh, fat kid, what have you done, you've turned our preconceptions upside down" ...flames (a schism hint for ya). go here: http://www.toolband.com/links/main.html ...toolband, left-brain. "eye hole deep in muddy waters", "repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of HIS fleeting time here" (see "we're gonna miss HIM" and "everyone will have HIS day to die").

why does everything seem to fit or at least point towards something that could? and no, not just one song ...everything maynard seems to involve himself in.

it's just one way to look at tool. just like it's just one way of looking at hicks, alex grey, blair's musings, etc. certainly you know that they're all into alchemy, unity, love ('cause fear = death/mind-killer), evolution, and enlightenment. layers of meaning. you know how when you're tripping sac and EVERYTHING can be interpreted in a different light? their music's like a prism. why is tool's music so purposefully psychedelic and layered? throughout my digging, i had come across alchemical drawings that not only show an interesting account of people, demons, archetypes, metals, etc ...the true message behind it all was made hidden from the casual observer. to discover its true essence, it required deep concentration, contemplation, consideration, "love under will", etc. "you'd better listen!" it's the only way ONE may possess the "philosopher's STONE" (see howerdel's ashes divine: the stone, and "give away the stone", "here we have a stone" spark, flame, fire! - i.e. NOT "mildewed and smoldering"! ...liquid fire, kundalini, the flaming pinecone) and to transmutate base metal consciousness into golden enlightenment ("what's singing songs is a snake, looking to turn MY piss to wine", "IT'S ALWAYS GONNA BE SOUR GRAPES WITH YOU BOY UNTIL YOU GET RIGHT WITH JESUS" - christ consciousness, 46&2, end of vicarious "he becomes christ-like"). why bring this up? not only do they know how to analyze alchemical illustrations and prose, but i'm fairly certain danny carey and the bunch are gonna try to bring the same sort of thing through their own version of art ...it's ALL just a matter of perception. "you are the chosen ONE (!!!) - the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who chose to hear it and a warning for those who do not". or as maynard's vineyand page - called fuckin' CADUCEUS (look it up?) - cites: "it's all about the alchemy". and, again, the puscifer myspace "pics" section shows a golden faucet piece: "turning my piss to wine".

look at me fail everywhere..

LMAO!! You should totally tattoo FOOL, I mean TOOL on your forehead and start your own little cult. You can even learn how to knit so you can make yourself some Tool bedsheets and then you can make yourself a Maynard doll that you can cuddle up with, perhaps with a hole in the rear end and a little third eye just for you.

I never said many of the things you just mentioned above weren't true but you're just fucking nuts dude. You try WAY too hard to find some hidden magical meaning in EVERYthing they do, they hint at that shit to fuck with gullible dipshits like you. Have you bought Puscifer yet? Yeah, it says "LAY OFF THE ACID DICKHEAD, NO PUZZLES HERE". I'm not saying there aren't references and subliminal things in their music related to what you're saying but not every single fucking syllable or drum beat is about some fucking mystery. How about you wipe off the black lipstick, stop painting your nails black, put away the trenchcoat and go outside for a while, there's a whole world awaiting you.

iAMtheMA!
02-25-2008, 03:17 PM
dickhead refers to "the grudge" side of our minds (as opposed to "the patient" side, you see). dickheads try to control, define, order, restrict, structure, etc. "lay off the acid" prolly alludes to something like "pull your head on out your happy haze and give a listen". the problem exists because everything shouldn't be a puzzle by now. so, you know ...when you're ready.

"the patient" ..."what is she waiting for"?

iAMtheMA!
02-25-2008, 03:21 PM
and i already knit.

look, it's not like i chose maynard out. everything that led me out towards something would all too often come right back to him. of course i don't know why, but i've learned about so much because i wonder about it. i can honestly say an atheist found (remembered) his spirituality after listening to tool. i've been able to find a connection to everything in a world that desperately tries to keep it quantified, controlled and seperated. "trigger". "we BOTH (as in 'seperate') may disappear". actually - before all of this, since joining this site, i wasn't all that much of a fan of maynard. his lyrics were interesting, but it wasn't why i was pulled to their music (of course). though tool had been a favorite band for a while, i thought that maynard was over-rated on sooo many levels and that the only thing that kept tool "afloat" ...was danny carey. and i'm a bassist. anyway, he's definitely trying to get something done here. to live by example - perhaps, the only way he knows how ("help me if you can, it's just that this is not the way i'm wired") - because, as he says, "i need you to feel this; i need this to make me whole". he's doing a lot of things (they all are) to shake our collective intention/s into motion, into a realization of ourselves "what is this but my reflection", "we're the imaginations of ourselves". "and you will come to find that we are all ONE mind" ...c'mon. he's franchising himself out there spouting love laughter truth unity peace enlightenment etc and it's all about the alchemy of man - there, i said it (see lateralus insert "god":brain). they're all about guiding us (as if a TOOL for human consciousness) ...into a more connected awareness that moves (beyond fear, into love) ...by will alone. too bad we're nearly starting over. "it's alright until HE pisses on your lighter (third eye)" > "mildewed and smouldering" > "piss to wine" = lachrymology = "weap in shades of indigo" = entheogenic release of dimethyltryptamine = enlightenment? i dunno. from frank herbert's "dune" (a TOOL: SUGGESTED READING book):

"It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion"

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.*
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain." (also on adam's myspace)

*...bringing out our hope ("the patient") and reason ("the grudge"). ;)

"i don't want to rot in this apathetic existence".

that's what i get from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entheogen

TheDude420
02-25-2008, 04:31 PM
-NO! I want the blue crayon!
--NO I had it first!

iAMtheMA!
02-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Huh huh huh huh huh huh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Corksil
02-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Not doomed, condemned. Another casualty of the modern age.

You can only lead a horse to water, you cannot make him drink.

iAMtheMA!
02-25-2008, 05:28 PM
it just feels like i'm beating him to death though
/double entendre

Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2008, 06:38 AM
"pull your head on out your HIPPY haze and give a listen".

/fixed

Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2008, 06:41 AM
and i already knit.

look, it's not like i chose maynard out. everything that led me out towards something would all too often come right back to him. of course i don't know why, but i've learned about so much because i wonder about it. i can honestly say an atheist found (remembered) his spirituality after listening to tool. i've been able to find a connection to everything in a world that desperately tries to keep it quantified, controlled and seperated. "trigger". "we BOTH (as in 'seperate') may disappear". actually - before all of this, since joining this site, i wasn't all that much of a fan of maynard. his lyrics were interesting, but it wasn't why i was pulled to their music (of course). though tool had been a favorite band for a while, i thought that maynard was over-rated on sooo many levels and that the only thing that kept tool "afloat" ...was danny carey. and i'm a bassist. anyway, he's definitely trying to get something done here. to live by example - perhaps, the only way he knows how ("help me if you can, it's just that this is not the way i'm wired") - because, as he says, "i need you to feel this; i need this to make me whole". he's doing a lot of things (they all are) to shake our collective intention/s into motion, into a realization of ourselves "what is this but my reflection", "we're the imaginations of ourselves". "and you will come to find that we are all ONE mind" ...c'mon. he's franchising himself out there spouting love laughter truth unity peace enlightenment etc and it's all about the alchemy of man - there, i said it (see lateralus insert "god":brain). they're all about guiding us (as if a TOOL for human consciousness) ...into a more connected awareness that moves (beyond fear, into love) ...by will alone. too bad we're nearly starting over. "it's alright until HE pisses on your lighter (third eye)" > "mildewed and smouldering" > "piss to wine" = lachrymology = "weap in shades of indigo" = entheogenic release of dimethyltryptamine = enlightenment? i dunno. from frank herbert's "dune" (a TOOL: SUGGESTED READING book):

"It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion"

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.*
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain." (also on adam's myspace)

*...bringing out our hope ("the patient") and reason ("the grudge"). ;)

"i don't want to rot in this apathetic existence".

that's what i get from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entheogen

FYI, I understand what you're trying to say dude, I do. If you could just learn to let go a little of this third eye and chakras in every syllable thing and perhaps stop overtly peppering your posts with lyrics (LAME), we'd be on the same page.

iAMtheMA!
02-26-2008, 06:44 AM
btw, i've never said anything to the effect of "no - you're wrong, i'm right" - so i'm not sure why you've always been so hell bent on restricting my views and being the first to rip on 'em at every turn, inner - especially considering everything i do to back it all up. it's ridiculous. in any case, that's just not how it works within tool's art. i think we can all agree with that by now. their art is kinda like a qabbalistic skeleton, an ego-killer, "slide a mile six inches at a time on maynard's dick"*, "and you were come to find that we are all one mind". it's amazing. prismatic. basically, "hey, check this out ...and, why does this make sense everywhere?" if i'm wrong, help me out. pointing the finger and condemning these numerous and direct references does little more than leave me with the idea that you're just not getting it. ...i apologize if i'm off base here. also, the lyrics are referenced to incite the idea that ...it's ALL connected and carefully designed as a reflection of our current level of consciousness. all of the lyrics, the entire tool effort, collaborations, etc. i'm sorry it's lame, i am, but you're not even getting it when they're all over the place. i desperately wish we could move on from this somehow...

a note on the ego-killer idea... check the puscifer album liners. "no one is innocent":

"here at vagina air, we do not discriminate. we assume everyone is guilty. we'll treat you like a criminal, keep you confused, and do our best to break YOU down. before the journey is ovevr, we'll have YOU accepting your fate and taking it like an INMATE. that's our promise to you. -carl caliente, el presidente"
/multiple entendre ......get it? just like those amazing alchemical illustrations and aleister crowley tarot cards. danny carey, card carrying member of the hermetic order of the golden dawn. right? think about it. siriusly.

inmate, as opposed to "the outsider"? "I before U (YOU)" = unity consciousness (no ego, connected) before nonharmonic consciousness (disconnected, severed, broken - ego-ed). what else?

jesus, any questions? we could try that for once...

*we need that FUCKING space to NAIL the next fool martyr. tool = fool, as in "+1 & -1 = zero" (aleister crowley's thoth tarot deck ...card ZERO is the FOOL, btw) or "apparently nothing" or "believe in nothing" or "i'm nothing now" or "i tried to keep a hold (the grudge) but there was nothing i could say" or "he had a lot of nothing to say" or "no id NOTHING and he won't say anything" or "take all or nothing".

anyways, i love you all ...and you feel it.

iAMtheMA!
02-26-2008, 07:08 AM
FYI, I understand what you're trying to say dude, I do. If you could just learn to let go a little of this third eye and chakras in every syllable thing and perhaps stop overtly peppering your posts with lyrics (LAME), we'd be on the same page.

i think it might be more appropriate if you "let go" of "the grudge" and "crucify the ego".

something like:

"I'm just trying to rid the world of all these fevered egos that are tainting our collective unconscious and making us pay a higher psychic price than we can ever imagine." - hicks

synched.

also ...heh, or fyi, "there are dick jokes ahead, please relax" ...DICK jokes for DICKheads ...to nail the next fool martyr with. "here's the deal, folks. i editorialize for 45 minutes, the last 15 we pull our shoots and float down to DICKjoke island TOGETHER". /i love the double meanings ...choose to hear it. oh, yeah ...parachute, check puscifers album liners again. winnnnnnk!

haha ...yeah, i'm fucking nuts.

iAMtheMA!
02-26-2008, 07:18 AM
one more, since you have the puscifer album liners on hand ...check the blue-yellow-red boxes. ready? "call an optimist, she's turning blue" (the patient, again ..."what is she waiting for?) vs. king crimson ("one more red nightmare", the grudge). so, is that the human mind there? hey, look a yellow/GOLDEN(?) trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..."please ring your call button" = third eye. useful idiot. ...a "flight attendent will be happy to assist YOU". awesome yet?

also, boxes 1 - 10 seem to relate somehow to the track listing 1 - 10.

speaking of ringing triggers...

puscifer, dozo

(spoken)
I carry gas, and smoke. And that's the worst habit.

(sung)
I creep around the back door, sneak a little,
peek a little, from all the blind men who tinker on the brink. Well I never really watch me watch you, gotta tap-tippy-tap for the money until you (go/fold/hold?)

Go ahead 'n risk it, hop about-face, she'll
show you the difference 'tween my gun 'n my pistol.

Tuggin on the dinner bell ring-ding-a-ling-dong
Make you smile for a while, would you sing along?

Dinner bell. ring-a-ling-ding come and get it, better eat it up quick, cuz the bitch is
gonna get it.

Go ahead 'n risk it, hop about-face, she'll show you the difference 'tween my gun 'n my pistol.

Go ahead 'n risk it, hop about-face, she'll show you the difference 'tween my gun 'n my pistol.

Show you the difference 'tween my gun 'n my pistol.

"i should play god and shoot YOU MYSELF!!!" -_-

Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2008, 11:48 AM
a note on the ego-killer idea... check the puscifer album liners. "no one is innocent":

"here at vagina air, we do not discriminate. we assume everyone is guilty. we'll treat you like a criminal, keep you confused, and do our best to break YOU down. before the journey is ovevr, we'll have YOU accepting your fate and taking it like an INMATE. that's our promise to you. -carl caliente, el presidente"
/multiple entendre ......get it? just like those amazing alchemical illustrations and aleister crowley tarot cards. danny carey, card carrying member of the hermetic order of the golden dawn. right? think about it. siriusly.

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps it's not as complex as you seem to think and that perhaps it's just Maynard's sarcastic humor to the way "the man" treats the average guy? What with all the enhanced security at airports these days, 85yr old women getting strip searched and 2yr old kids becoming a security threat because they're crying? It's about the government using tactics to desensitize the population until they have total control and we become so used to it we just accept it as "the way it is". Really dude, it's that simple. But of course, the liner note saying "Lay off the acid dickhead, no puzzles here" means exactly the opposite in your mind, it really means that Maynard is challenging you to figure out the puzzle that doesn't exist.

While I'm sure the band would admire your incessant behaviour, they would be laughing their asses off while reading your posts and be like "look at this dumbass, he actually bought it and wasted all this time reading so much into it he's gone mad". Ever seen the movie 23 with Jim Carrey yet? I highly recommend it, it'd be a good mirror for you to look in.

Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2008, 12:04 PM
And again, it's lame as fuck when nearly 50% of every word you type comes directly from the lyrics. I have enough faith in you to believe that you can conjur up your OWN vocabulary.

Schema
02-26-2008, 12:07 PM
And again, it's lame as fuck when nearly 50% of every word you type comes directly from the lyrics. I have enough faith in you to believe that you can conjur up your OWN vocabulary.

Good luck getting this to happen, good sir.

iAMtheMA!
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
thank you, inner. although i could probably speak in tool-references alone, it is kind of pathetic. and it must be really unattractive towards my arguments. it's not like i don't hate posting this shit every time. regardless, the connections are made to show everyone just how obvious this is to me. ...until someone else gets it (a few are). ...so that i can verify my own musings (it's selfish - i want you all to feel connected, peace, love). anyways...

K1DA
02-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Don't worry about me... It is depressing to look at these boards though.

Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2008, 02:17 PM
thank you, inner. although i could probably speak in tool-references alone, it is kind of pathetic. and it must be really unattractive towards my arguments. it's not like i don't hate posting this shit every time. regardless, the connections are made to show everyone just how obvious this is to me. ...until someone else gets it (a few are). ...so that i can verify my own musings (it's selfish - i want you all to feel connected, peace, love). anyways...

Look, all I'm saying is not EVERYthing with Tool is THAT deep. Yes, there are references and homage paid to alchemy, the occult, religion, drugs, evolving the human consciousness, perhaps chakras and yes..even the third eye. I'm sure some of them (if not all) are quite knowledgable in some or all of these areas and like to throw things in there because they know it adds to the mystery and makes things interesting. Yes, they put a lot of thought into their artwork, music and lyrics and I love them for it too. But you also have to understand that they do NOT take themselves THAT fucking seriously and while they do include their interests within their music, a lot of it is also cynical/sarcastic humor and a lot of it is to simply fuck with people and/or push buttons. A lot of it is simply to be taken at face value as well without any super decoder ring secrets. Trust me, I'm also the kind of person that tends to sometimes over-analyze things in life but, you also just got to learn that sometimes if it looks like an orange, it smells like an orange and tastes like a orange, it probably just is. If you agree that you know that they, especially Maynard, do not take themselves that seriously...then what makes you think you should?

Tool_Is_Sick
02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
This Thread is fuckin awesome. :)

iAMtheMA!
02-26-2008, 09:33 PM
they don't take themselves seriously because they understand that our true nature is a most vulnerable and open spirit and NOT body; "it's just a ride". achetypically speaking, concerning the evolution of human consciousness, these guys play it as the magickal jesters, the fool, the trickster. not unlike hermes, oracles, thoth, prometheus, rafiki, enoch, the cheshire cat (wonder land). the "message of hope" line depicts this sacred archetype perfectly. check out that pronoun thing again and take this mentality to "harry manback". the way i see it, tool is simply trying to let us know that we are quite capable of remembering that "life is like a dream". by nudging our perspective to tune onto/into the awareness of such possibilities, tool reminds us all that (sorry):

(Get up and free yourself from yourself.)
Locked up inside you,
like the calm beneath castles,
is a cavern of treasures that
noone has been to.
Let's go digging.
Bring it out to take you back in.

therefore, they certainly do not take their separate identities all that seriously. do buddhists? natives? mayans? they think/play that we are all one ...that there's a sacred level of awareness of the human mind that is beyond ego (drunk on ego: which essentially exists as a fear-based CANCER on the mind, or censorship, cutting us all off from cognition of the eternal nature of a singular and unconditional movement of "love under will" - "and as the walls come down") ...therefore: shameless, nameless, nothing, no one, naked and fearless. THAT DEEP? i can't believe it took me so long to figure it out... very clever stuff.

"you all feel the same so why can't we just admit it?"

iAMtheMA!
02-26-2008, 09:46 PM
http://www.crystalinks.com/trickster.html

K1DA
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.crystalinks.com/trickster.htmlnice link

iAMtheMA!
02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
yeah, i like it a lot. damn, we could probably start new threads based on nothing but the "trickster archetype and tool" or "the 'magick' within tool" or "the moon and tool" or "alchemy and tool", etc. or combine all of that with "THOTH and tool" ...this guy: http://www.crystalinks.com/thoth.html / http://www.crystalinks.com/emerald.html

speaking of the moon, would an "on/off" switch count as a 'trigger'? because the 1-2-3-on-5-6-7-off rhythmic effect within "reflection" seems to convey the lunar cycle. 1-2-3-full-5-6-7-new. i "wonder" what THAT could have to do with the third eye...

http://www.alexgrey.com/cards/wonder.jpg

iAMtheMA!
02-28-2008, 07:06 AM
alright, please allow me to quickly elaborate this "moon - third eye" relationship, because it might be important, it might even swing perspectives slightly (i know it did for me, ESPECIALLY WITHIN ALL THAT TOOL IS)...

this is important. the ancients knew this would be important. ummm, that's why they built it so precise and large ...it's a big deal. huge.

the great pyramid of giza was constructed upon the very intimate relationship of the exact same 'square to circle' ratio found around the human body within da vinci's uber-famous "vitruvian man". <- that's a period. think about this. look over that image's square and circle. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Vitruvian.jpg the overlap precisely depicts the ratio of 1:phi, or 1:1.6180339... http://www.soulsofdistortion.nl/images/picture%2029.gif now, according to plato (elements?), the 3-dimensional/solid forms of these elegant shapes represent an overlap or combination between the heavens (sphere) and earth (cube/hexahedron). the other elements are represented as water (icosahedron), air (octahedron), aether (dodecahedron - found in vicarious video, mystic eye? golden sperm?), and fire (tetrahedron) - concerning the pyramid's shape, keep in mind that "pyra-mid" = "middle flame" - somewhat resembles the tetrahedron.

http://www.vortexmaps.com/images/sphere.gif - it all comes from the sphere. all reflections of the ONE sphere. i repeat, ALL REFLECTIONS OF THE ONE. this is sacred geometry, folks. this is how they do it. "metaphor for a missing moment, pull ME in to your perfect circle - one womb, one shape, one resolve - liberate this will to release US ALL". and of course "it's source is bright and endless - a million light reflections pass over ME" ... and "mer de noms" (i.e. we are but ONE sea ...of names).

anyways, if you were to take that above "squaring the circle" image (an al-khem-ical term mind you - schism)... draw a horizontal line through the square, cutting it in half. now, bring those end points up towards the top of the heavens. that's the contruction of the great pyramid. magnificently - it's a direct reflection of the human form, yes, BUT!!! take a closer look. the difference between the overlapping shapes and the pyramid's construction (which creates that holy "spark flame FIRE" - "giggle and the flames grow higher, dance around a central fire") also determines the properties of the "all seeing eye" ...which, i mean long ago, is theorized to have had a "golden capstone". i would suppose the very real symbolism here might suggest that only the third eye is able to bring man's perceptions into the divine realms of heaven (sphere) - enlightenment, unity consciousness, truth, love. if you're aware of how the chakras may work, this information may come a little easier to you.

to continue my rant of observing these fractal elegances... this holy construction ALSO determines the 3:11 ratio of moon:earth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>!!!!!!!!! (forever! - it's that cool). geometry = "earth measure" ...and NOTHING does it better than the great pyramids. check it out: http://www.soulsofdistortion.nl/images/vitruvia3.jpg or http://members.chello.nl/e.n.secasiu/Index%20files/GP_EM.JPG infact, this knowledge is exactly how i came to understand "trekka"s "your left/right shoulder" lyrics (i thought about the possible connection, and then did the math), here's what i came up with: http://a293.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/117/l_49519508fc2313be05d0677d431789f4.jpg or http://a245.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/5/l_10885317b0e33a7c19c73c3bf137b1ec.jpg ...golden capstone, where? moon where? third eye where?

the ancients' PROOF that humans are:
THE REFLECTIONS OF HEAVEN ON EARTH
('as below, so above and beyond')

sour grapes

"There appeared before me a heavenly star, a holy virgin, the bringer of life and breath
And she spoke unto me, saying 'fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below
for change is what we are, my child. Righteous are those who look up and sway with the wind,
who look down and dance with the shifting of the soil, who swim with the movement of the tides,
who seek the truth around them and discover, we are and have always been in paradise.
The reflections of heaven on earth. Amen!'"

"Change, my child. Change is in the heavens. Change is on this earth.
Change is all around us, and we are reflections of the divine, we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.
Eyes wide open, WE MUST LOOK UPON THE HEAVENS AS A MIRROR.
Wide awake, aware, deeply breathing"

concerning my first finger/trigger post, here's another for you all: "She ascended slowly from far beyond the horizon, her light like a heavenly finger pointing the way" (love ya)

the breathing while "wide eyed and hopefully wild" ...is important. "breathe in union"
"i'm just a soldier who's grooving to the GOLDEN rule of PUFF AND PASS"
and 44&2 is but a 'stepping stone' level of consciousness...
"clever got me this far, then tricky got me in ...I TAKE JUST WHAT I CAME FOR THEN I'M OUT THE DOOR AGAIN"

i could go on forever, inner...

iAMtheMA!
02-28-2008, 07:22 AM
they don't take themselves seriously because they understand that our true nature is a most vulnerable and open spirit and NOT body

12 TOM CRUISE ISN'T LIKELY TO HAVE KEENAN OVER FOR DINNER
The man who penned the lyrics “Fuck L. Ron Hubbard and all his clones” recalls a 1993 gig at the Church of Scientology’s Celebrity’s Centre, where he spent most of the show baa-ing like a sheep at the audience. “Before our set this guy tries to intimidate me by showing me a gun in his jacket. I explained to him that if he pissed me off I’d start a riot.”

(http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?id=2002)

;) take it all in, my friends...

blog.myspace.com/censorshipisacancer (get it?!)

World Up My Ass
(Circle Jerks cover)

I've got the world up my ass
Gonna be the first
Won't be the last

Society is burning up
Take a bite, spit it out
Take their rules
Rip'em up, tear'em down

Gonna be the first
Won't be the last

Twisted mind, withered brain
Don't you know I'll go insane
I JUST TELL THEM TO GET BACK
WHEN THEY TELL ME HOW TO ACT

Society is burning up
Take a bite, spit it out
Take their rules
Rip'em up, tear'em down

(2x)
Gonna be the first
Won't be the last

Inner_Eulogy
02-28-2008, 10:58 AM
they don't take themselves seriously because they understand that our true nature is a most vulnerable and open spirit and NOT body; "it's just a ride". achetypically speaking, concerning the evolution of human consciousness, these guys play it as the magickal jesters, the fool, the trickster. not unlike hermes, oracles, thoth, prometheus, rafiki, enoch, the cheshire cat (wonder land). the "message of hope" line depicts this sacred archetype perfectly. check out that pronoun thing again and take this mentality to "harry manback". the way i see it, tool is simply trying to let us know that we are quite capable of remembering that "life is like a dream". by nudging our perspective to tune onto/into the awareness of such possibilities, tool reminds us all that (sorry):

(Get up and free yourself from yourself.)
Locked up inside you,
like the calm beneath castles,
is a cavern of treasures that
noone has been to.
Let's go digging.
Bring it out to take you back in.

therefore, they certainly do not take their separate identities all that seriously. do buddhists? natives? mayans? they think/play that we are all one ...that there's a sacred level of awareness of the human mind that is beyond ego (drunk on ego: which essentially exists as a fear-based CANCER on the mind, or censorship, cutting us all off from cognition of the eternal nature of a singular and unconditional movement of "love under will" - "and as the walls come down") ...therefore: shameless, nameless, nothing, no one, naked and fearless. THAT DEEP? i can't believe it took me so long to figure it out... very clever stuff.

"you all feel the same so why can't we just admit it?"

I might actually hear you out a little more if you didn't fucking repeat the goddamn lyrics every couple of words. It's fucking stupid. I would not be surprised if you have your entire bedroom walls covered in the writing of Tool's lyrics with a little fucking Maynard worshipping station in the middle

iAMtheMA!
02-28-2008, 11:52 AM
fucking.

well, if i started throwing these sort of concepts out there 'willy-nilly', you (or someone else) would be all like "no, fucking. it's about heroin or fucking's mother or jesus or the fucking government (as many of us have been saying for fucking ever) ...where's the fucking proof, asshole?" so, you know ...i went for it. however, and as more of a suggestion ...if you don't like it, it might actually be more constructive (and considerate) to exercise whatever willpower is necessary to scroll down or skim along - as if to make the connection to whatever the context of my posts may suggest ...and then move on (perhaps to comment upon what has been expressed, make a sandwich, or continue roaming the internet). how fucking hard is that? there's certainly no need to throw unnecessary insults, judgments, and other such pathelogical walls towards me or anyone else.

thanks for quoting my post.

Inner_Eulogy
02-28-2008, 12:12 PM
fucking.

well, if i started throwing these sort of concepts out there 'willy-nilly', you (or someone else) would be all like "no, fucking. it's about heroin or fucking's mother or jesus or the fucking government (as many of us have been saying for fucking ever) ...where's the fucking proof, asshole?" so, you know ...i went for it. however, and as more of a suggestion ...if you don't like it, it might actually be more constructive (and considerate) to exercise whatever willpower is necessary to scroll down or skim along - as if to make the connection to whatever the context of my posts may suggest ...and then move on (perhaps to comment upon what has been expressed, make a sandwich, or continue roaming the internet). how fucking hard is that? there's certainly no need to throw unnecessary insults, judgments, and other such pathelogical walls towards me or anyone else.

thanks for quoting my post.

Yeah, the "fucking" was a little redundant wasn't it? Much better post by the way.

iAMtheMA!
02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
holy shit, thank you! ;)

humasect
03-01-2008, 08:10 AM
You are doing well, iAMtheMA!. Thanks also for the link of the Trickster.

Aside from this or Mr. Maynard playing his part as the joker as a means and way to spread a truth, there is of course More still. The solid infallability and as well doubtless unverifiability are all these connections, there is just as well also Less to be done. There is a reason it is hidden, and there is a reason for those playing the part of the intellectual skeptic; due to the nature of the actual Truth it all points to.

The intellect is a kind of monster of illusion taking the body and mind of these things we call words - which likes to try and take shortcuts toward this Truth - it needs things explained with facts and more questions. By its nature it will never find it, simply because to medicate this beast requires the actual and literal process of unraveling, unwrapping, to measure the whole by its parts. This is the job of the joker, the trickster - to feed its questioning which acts as a kind of medication for this "great dis-ease". The fool is both wisdom and ignorance, it is both falsehood and truth. And so the only direction for this "ego" of intellect - the mudded eye of doing-and-not-being - to heal is by guaging where this Truth is, right in the Middle, by evaluating all extremes.

I would like to speak with you more about this, and especially I can aid your effectiveness in actually marketing these insights for yourself and others if even only to simply pre-chew such mindful insights for the intellectual ego's digestion of such matters of true subtlety and fake grandeurity. It is as ultimate as it is relative, as obvious as it is hidden, as real as it is imagined, as complex as it is simple - and you know as well that you are in the right direction.

I know because I have "found" exactly what you are looking for; and just like for many others, Tool has been a great... tool... in this very quest! =)

humasect
03-01-2008, 08:28 AM
There indeed is a Puzzle. But one cannot understand or even perceive the puzzle let alone solve it, without taking each piece into considerations toward their unity of wholeness. And, it is as profoundly comforting as it is discomforting; to see this full understanding and wisdom, and especially to hear it and speak it for oneself - many many many will never get this chance - let alone to experience how profound and wise Tool really is, in this light!! Yet, it is *also* nothing special... =)

Here is a tip for now: The ever-hungry monster called "ego" cannot help but to answer any question it is asked, as it is by nature Defining and Confining. It gets highly defensive when there are no questions to be asked - like these lyrics for example - where it has no chance to "prove" itself by comparing with whatever it happens to believe. Also it strives for novelty, so repetitions are another of its weak points. Be humble, compassionate - after all one cannot teach without themselves also learning!

~we can only liberate as one, together~

Inner_Eulogy
03-03-2008, 10:34 AM
You gotta be kiddin' me.

I'm surprised they allow computers inside those yellow padded walls.

Corksil
03-05-2008, 04:35 AM
@Humasect -- nice work man, it seems like slowly people are starting to understand these things. Don't give up hope!

@Eulogy -- if you haven't figured it out yet maybe I could help -- I think you life is as fucked up as it is because of your outlook.

It's difficult to change an outlook but maybe start by trying to realize that other people in the world are (almost) as important as you. Maybe try to treat others with the respect you'd give yourself (or a piece of it.)

(And alcohol is only a temporary solution. We've all battled with it and I am sure there are some great support groups in your area?)

Inner_Eulogy
03-06-2008, 11:45 AM
@Humasect -- nice work man, it seems like slowly people are starting to understand these things. Don't give up hope!

@Eulogy -- if you haven't figured it out yet maybe I could help -- I think you life is as fucked up as it is because of your outlook.

It's difficult to change an outlook but maybe start by trying to realize that other people in the world are (almost) as important as you. Maybe try to treat others with the respect you'd give yourself (or a piece of it.)

(And alcohol is only a temporary solution. We've all battled with it and I am sure there are some great support groups in your area?)

Whatever you say Sally. I'm a cynical optimist and a realist. My outlook is however I see fit, you talk about everyone else being entitled to their opinion and this is mine. If you don't like it you can go fuck yourself. I never once stated I was better than or more important than anybody on here, however I do possess an exquisite sense of common fucking sense unlike many.

And who the fuck ever said anything about alcohol?

Rolo
03-06-2008, 01:23 PM
And who the fuck ever said anything about alcohol?

Cheers! (http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=2389521&postcount=18)

K1DA
03-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Whatever you say Sally. I'm a cynical optimist and a realist. My outlook is however I see fit, you talk about everyone else being entitled to their opinion and this is mine. If you don't like it you can go fuck yourself. I never once stated I was better than or more important than anybody on here, however I do possess an exquisite sense of common fucking sense unlike many.

And who the fuck ever said anything about alcohol?For someone who thinks everyone is entitled to an opinion, your sure quick to shoot someone's opinion down every chance you get.

Go see Gogol Bordello, holy shit dudes.

Inner_Eulogy
03-07-2008, 02:13 PM
For someone who thinks everyone is entitled to an opinion, your sure quick to shoot someone's opinion down every chance you get.

Go see Gogol Bordello, holy shit dudes.

Just because everyone is entitled to an opinion doesn't mean that everyone has a good one. Am I a hypocrite full of smite? At times yes, and fully aware of it. Do I care? No, I am strongly opinionated and self sufficient. I simply have a mark perpensity for the intellectually impaired....and yes, I'm also fully aware that it's subjective as well.

Adios

Inner_Eulogy
03-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I knew you had a naturally intense inclination as being intellectually impaired, but don't go around trying to act as though you don't.....

LOL, apparently you have no idea what I said in that post, either you're dyslexic or you are truly ignorant. If necessary, I will reiterate this in layman's terms for you.

Michał
10-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Woah, moon, third eye.. sheeth, that's gone really deep :)
I've asked my dad once, what do You think it means: "Rest your trigger on my finger". And he said: "Let me take control over you". And I must say I agree and it's enough for me.
Like it?

Michał
10-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Sorry then. I've been searching for anybody's explanation od noises/moans at around 4:50, and found this. And usually when I read and consider replying to the topics displayed, the time deadline :) is set at 1 month. But now I've set "the beginning" and found something interesting enough that I've forgot it might be a little old.
I like your view. Seems to fit really well. And the topic is really interesting..
Personally sometimes I feel too shy to dig into Aenima lyrics. They are related to some really serious things, many "from the dark side" but, like it or not, that's how the life looks like. That makes me take Lateralus much mor often. It is in the CD tray most of the time, with its "Let go", "Be patient", "Rediscover Communication", "Alive-I", "Spiral Out", "Crucify the Ego" stuff.
Pushit has a lot of potential in healing after suffering from a "fundamental differing", failed relationship. Checked personally and approved. As you watch the pieces tumble down your heart aches as you feel guilty, so our dark nature would like the other person to take responsibility for the failure. But "No fault, None to blame"...
Will ask my friend, a psychologist, about the disorder you mentioned.
Sorry for mentioning Schism all the way round. I'm a Schismoid man right now, finally managed to write its drum pattern in notes, then memorized it and I'm practicing right now.
All this stuff meant tens, maybe over hundred times I listened to Schism. But I think I've nailed it, my drum teacher says thats right, and Schism is my fav song since. Words can't describe the delight one feels while this kind of rhythm flows trough the body.

Lateralareallofus
10-16-2009, 01:05 PM
iamthema gets tool. probably more than most at least. im sick of people saying that tool is 'just fucking with us.' yes, they do have a sense of humor and joke around but they are not leading us on and putting shit in their music for no reason. even the segues(fillers) that you skip over on your ipod have a meaning/purpose for being there. understand that they are artists. the puzzle in the 10000 days artwork has a meaning and purpose for being there. hell if i know exactly what it means.

your disbelief and discredit of tool's message is exactly what tool is trying to stop. step aside and open your mind to something that it is totally outside your comfort zone and give it a chance. 10000 days' message had to do with having faith even when all seems to be going downhill and bad.

Iamthema makes some far out claims but he does back them up. my only criticism would be to structure them so we can better understand what youre trying to say

Lateralareallofus
10-18-2009, 04:54 PM
no, i think i understand a lot of tool's deep meanings and messages but i still dont fully understand the puzzle in 10,000 days artwork. I have a partial comprehension but not a complete understanding of it.

no, 10000 days is not about religion. I think its about having faith and believing in something. maynard used to be cynical about his mother having blind faith in god, something he was unable to see. but he has come to appreciate her faith because she believed in him even though most did not. at least thats what i decipher from wings part 1 and 2; that she believed in what none could see. that being god, but also in maynard. These are different kinds of believing, but none the less, faith.

But to me 10000 days is more than just faith, it is about action and will. its saying, get off your ass, turn off the tv, do something to better the world/yourself

Also, there is a big theme of the hero/fallen hero. Judith is an angel who has saved maynard's life and who lead by example. the FOOL in rosetta stoned is a fallen hero/loser who had the KEYS to being the savior of mankind but was too fucked up on drugs. And i am starting to think that the narrator in Right in Two is supposed to be jesus or and alien or an angel. one in the same. someone removed from humanity, disassociated. One who has cut himself off from the rest of humanity. He must cut it all right in two. dividing himself form those who perpetually destroy themselves and eachother. The idea of the hero is explained further in Joseph Campbell's writings. He discusses the idea of the 'hero with a thousand faces'...take a look at the alex grey's album cover with the interconnected beings.

Inner_Eulogy
10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
no, i think i understand a lot of tool's deep meanings and messages but i still dont fully understand the puzzle in 10,000 days artwork. I have a partial comprehension but not a complete understanding of it.

no, 10000 days is not about religion. I think its about having faith and believing in something. maynard used to be cynical about his mother having blind faith in god, something he was unable to see. but he has come to appreciate her faith because she believed in him even though most did not. at least thats what i decipher from wings part 1 and 2; that she believed in what none could see. that being god, but also in maynard. These are different kinds of believing, but none the less, faith.

But to me 10000 days is more than just faith, it is about action and will. its saying, get off your ass, turn off the tv, do something to better the world/yourself

Also, there is a big theme of the hero/fallen hero. Judith is an angel who has saved maynard's life and who lead by example. the FOOL in rosetta stoned is a fallen hero/loser who had the KEYS to being the savior of mankind but was too fucked up on drugs. And i am starting to think that the narrator in Right in Two is supposed to be jesus or and alien or an angel. one in the same. someone removed from humanity, disassociated. One who has cut himself off from the rest of humanity. He must cut it all right in two. dividing himself form those who perpetually destroy themselves and eachother. The idea of the hero is explained further in Joseph Campbell's writings. He discusses the idea of the 'hero with a thousand faces'...take a look at the alex grey's album cover with the interconnected beings.

A lot of this makes sense, however, I disagree at the point where you said that the god/alien/angel was the one cutting things right in two (disassociating himself from us mortals). The ones referenced as "cutting it all right in two" are us. What he's saying is that this earth is our eden yet, we fail to recognize and take everything for granted and due to greed, we always find ourselves ultimately fighting for wanting more instead of sharing, hence we're always cutting things and dividing them amongst ourselves instead of working in harmony and sharing. This is what leads to the ones with greed fighting to get a piece of what the other has. We took all the things we had and had to split them up, this is yours, this is mine...now I want some more of what you have because mine isn't enough anymore.

Michał
10-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Recently I've noticed some interesting thing, which can even form sort of a link between Lateralus and 10000 Days. It is the cycle: Divide-reunite, destroy and rebuild, rediscover..
You know:
The Grudge - the cycle of Saturn, the precious chance happening once for 29 years.
Parabol(a) - THIS body... this particular one.. reincarnation? Not necessarily literally, but.. Plus the video, when these guys create a full circle on the table
Schism - watch the temple topple over, bring the pieces back together, rediscover...
Disposition - watch the weather change
---
Jambi - Shine until two become one, breathe in union
Right In Two - obvious - destroys the previous.
---
Back to Undertow album.. I've come round full circle

I'm totally helpless when it comes to Eastern beliefs, such as Merkaba.. Maybe I'm searching in the wrong place, but can you point me what is this circle of change and alternation?
I'm disappointed that I've noticed it so late, but how is this music so full of dynamism, so many Tool songs are written to describe one particular moment on our path.. This surprises me, you know, for me it is a deeper meaning.. Not created by syncing 13 songs played backwards, numbers of forty-six, viginti tres etc, but naturally trough blending of the songs meaning.
Sorry for lame English again.

10-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Okay, I think I have this song mostly figured out. But, one thing...

"Rest your trigger on my finger"?

What the fuck does this mean? My initial belief is that the line implies that the object will, at some point, take issue with the narrator and attribute all blame to him, when it is really the object's fault.

Am I anywhere near correct on this front?

there are two persons. one is the gun. pushit is from the perspective who is the gun. the other's perspective is given in a different song which goes:

I need a fix 'cause I'm going down //Who am I to judge and strike you down?
Down to the bits that I left uptown
I need a fix cause I'm going down
Mother Superior jumped the gun

Happiness (is a warm gun)
Bang Bang Shoot Shoot
Happiness (is a warm gun, momma)
Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

(When I hold you in my arms)
Oooooooooh, oh yeah!

And when I feel my finger on your trigger //Rest your trigger on my finger,
Oooooooooh, oh yeah!

please continue

10-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Not sure that song is related, and I don't see how this song has a person as a gun, as you describe. I know you don't mean literally, but even figuratively, you can have a trigger on your gun without being a gun...

yea "being" was a bad choice of words. It was just funny coincidence that i was listening to the beatles while reading this thread.

Schema
11-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Jesus fucking christ, this thread is still going?

infinitee
11-16-2009, 05:58 PM
nostalgic, isn't it?

Schema
11-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah. This was, like, from when I first came here... It's from the beginning of last year. I mean, holy fuck, man...