PDA

View Full Version : personification

learist
09-07-2003, 09:42 AM
When I hear this song, I hear it as Maynard singing about alchohol and rugs from their point of view:

"making every promise empty, pointing every finger at me"

"I will find a center in you, I will chew it up and leave, I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring it down."

"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall as well."

ViciousChicken
09-16-2003, 06:24 PM
I agree with the drugs and alcohol, but I also think this song is about the selfishness of human nature.
Especially the last line in the song "I want what I want."

I really like the "I am just a worthless liar" bit, and then it ends in a "Trust me," which I see as instead of what we hear, it's more of a "I dare you to trust me."

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-09-2004, 07:30 PM
When I hear this song, I hear it as Maynard singing about alchohol and rugs from their point of view:

"making every promise empty, pointing every finger at me"

"I will find a center in you, I will chew it up and leave, I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring it down."

"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall as well."

I second that... except i feel as if it is more related to drugs... the whole band comes from places of "burnouts" (read the very first article) and they just talk about how everyone smokes dope... and "i will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down." getting high... then hitting the ground harder than ever

ÆnimaticEnigma
04-09-2004, 07:31 PM
I think the "i want, what I want" means the guy who does his best when he's loaded just means "go the fuck away, I know what I want, and I want to get loaded"

Nirvanoid68
06-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Hm.....what I think....

I think I've posted something like this before, but....

I think that it's an addict telling himself all of the right-wing stereotypes of drugs from non-users.

"He's worthless" "Not a good person" "He'll try to drag you down with him to make his own loser ass feel better" "You can't trust him". And he says it like he believes it himself.

And then that..."Jesus won't you fucking whistle" and "Mother Mary won't you whisper?" turns it into an endless cycle. "Why can't you talk about something else besides my addiction for once? It's my problem, so please just back the fuck off", in essence. But no one will. They keep dwelling on it, and it makes him go down in an endless spiral of shit with even more drugs to help him forget the social bullshit.

And then he questions the law and the morality of most people.

"Why can't we not be sober?"

And then he just wishes for one thing. Someone try to give him a chance. No one will.

Becoming senselessly angry, he does what his body tells him to yet again.