Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2007
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
11-08-2007, 12:56 AM

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:56 AM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
Dec 11 San Francisco, CA Bill Graham Civic

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
benlong
12-11-2007, 11:35 PM

Surprisingly, Trans Am was absolutely what they needed to be, for me. I loved them. Excellent show. "Hello, San Francisco. There is politically correct, and then there's totally fucking insane. What are you people thinking?"

Drum battle during Lateralus between Danny, Seb from Trans Am, and Tim "Herb" Alexander of Primus. Sweetness.

The same set as previous shows, except a Dead Kennedys cover w/ special guest (Jello Biafra, I think) before Vicarious.

Last edited by benlong; 12-11-2007 at 11:51 PM..
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Dec 11 San Francisco, CA Bill Graham Civic

Surprisingly, Trans Am was absolutely what they needed to be, for me. I loved them. Excellent show. "Hello, San Francisco. There is politically correct, and then there's totally fucking insane. What are you people thinking?"

Drum battle during Lateralus between Danny, Seb from Trans Am, and Tim "Herb" Alexander of Primus. Sweetness.

The same set as previous shows, except a Dead Kennedys cover w/ special guest (Jello Biafra, I think) before Vicarious.

Last edited by benlong; 12-11-2007 at 11:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Anaguma
12-12-2007, 12:17 AM

I should also add that i loved Maynard's bit when he held up the scorecards at the end of the drum solo/circle. And his comment "Well, look at the time..." I don't think that man can't *not* be sarcastic. ;)

Very thankful that they did Flood.

Also very thankful that they didn't do Sober. The last time i caught them, which was on their Lateralus tour, they were still including that song in their set.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Dec 11San Francisco, CA Bill Graham Civic

I should also add that i loved Maynard's bit when he held up the scorecards at the end of the drum solo/circle. And his comment "Well, look at the time..." I don't think that man can't *not* be sarcastic. ;)

Very thankful that they did Flood.

Also very thankful that they didn't do Sober. The last time i caught them, which was on their Lateralus tour, they were still including that song in their set.
OFFLINE |  
sprucemoose3311's Avatar sprucemoose3311
12-12-2007, 12:20 AM

holiday in cambodia was awesome!! flood was great the set was amazing. this was my third show. the lateralus tour was slightly better. great way to return to america (i was in china for a year, now back to real life.. boo)

maynard:
something about politics. i got yelled at for breathing too much oxygen.

how many of you are 21 years old.... then you wont know this guy. he is older than my grandparents.

no animals were hurt in the making of this music

we will be back real real soon. and i mean that from the bottom of my heart

edit: oh and they turned the base up so high on a couple of songs that the base shook my pants like the wind in the city.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 59

holiday in cambodia was awesome!! flood was great the set was amazing. this was my third show. the lateralus tour was slightly better. great way to return to america (i was in china for a year, now back to real life.. boo)

maynard:
something about politics. i got yelled at for breathing too much oxygen.

how many of you are 21 years old.... then you wont know this guy. he is older than my grandparents.

no animals were hurt in the making of this music

we will be back real real soon. and i mean that from the bottom of my heart

edit: oh and they turned the base up so high on a couple of songs that the base shook my pants like the wind in the city.
12-12-2007, 12:24 AM

HOLIDAY IN CAMBODIA !!! when does that happen??? great show,..best of the 4 I've seen this tour
10,000 Days:4/30/06--5/4/06--9/3/06--12/11/07--7/13/10
Opiate Anniversary/ Pre-new album: 3/11/14--3/12/14
TOOL/Primus tour(minus Primus): 1/6/16
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

HOLIDAY IN CAMBODIA !!! when does that happen??? great show,..best of the 4 I've seen this tour
10,000 Days:4/30/06--5/4/06--9/3/06--12/11/07--7/13/10
Opiate Anniversary/ Pre-new album: 3/11/14--3/12/14
TOOL/Primus tour(minus Primus): 1/6/16
OFFLINE |  
everlastingpmpkn's Avatar everlastingpmpkn
12-12-2007, 12:28 AM

Best Tool show I've seen yet.

jambi
stinkfist
46&2
schism
rosetta stoned
flood
*Intermission*
wings
10,000 days
lateralus (w/guest drummers Tim Alexander from Primus and Sebastian)
HOLIDAY IN CAMBODIA w/Jello Biafra on vocals
Vicarious

This SF crowd was incredible, and the show blew LA's out of the water. Maynard was incredibly enthusiastic all night, while natural making fun of SF's liberal rep (e.g. "No animals were harmed during the making of this music, so you can all relax")

Maynard later on: "I hope to see you all again very very soon, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart"

Phenomenal, Ill post later once I've managed to get my mind back.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Best Tool show I've seen yet.

jambi
stinkfist
46&2
schism
rosetta stoned
flood
*Intermission*
wings
10,000 days
lateralus (w/guest drummers Tim Alexander from Primus and Sebastian)
HOLIDAY IN CAMBODIA w/Jello Biafra on vocals
Vicarious

This SF crowd was incredible, and the show blew LA's out of the water. Maynard was incredibly enthusiastic all night, while natural making fun of SF's liberal rep (e.g. "No animals were harmed during the making of this music, so you can all relax")

Maynard later on: "I hope to see you all again very very soon, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart"

Phenomenal, Ill post later once I've managed to get my mind back.
OFFLINE |  
tremans
12-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Pretty sure that was one of the best Tool shows I've ever seen and heard, as well.
The mix, the lights, the performance, the special guests.... all of it couldn't have been better.

oh ya - I forgot... F L O O D = Epic! So good.... I'm at a loss for words...

Last edited by tremans; 12-12-2007 at 12:37 AM..
Old 12-12-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Pretty sure that was one of the best Tool shows I've ever seen and heard, as well.
The mix, the lights, the performance, the special guests.... all of it couldn't have been better.

oh ya - I forgot... F L O O D = Epic! So good.... I'm at a loss for words...

Last edited by tremans; 12-12-2007 at 12:37 AM..
OFFLINE |  
musicmansf
12-12-2007, 12:37 AM

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
46&2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Intermission with SICK ASS LIGHTS
Wings for Marie Pt.1
10,000 Days Pt.2
Lateralus (with Primus' drummer and Trans Am Drummer)
Holiday in Cambodia!!!
Vicarious

Well, this cleared up alot of things. This is the Tool show I needed after being raped at Street Scene by idiots in San Diego, and the Reno show when it seemed everyone was off thier game. I didn't look at set lists because I was hoping for a new suprise this time round, but hey, FUCKING HOLIDAY IN CAMBODIA!!! Now I think the Dead Kennedy's are shit, but thats a great song, and Tool playing it? Uh...fucking awesome! Maynard was fuckin' hilarious and talkative which was great after him walking off the stage a few times in Reno, especially during the climax of Schism, this time, hearing him sing it made me fucking smile ear to ear :) They did extended stinkfist and it was great hearing everyone sing out of place. Oh man, I have no words for this show!!!! FLOOD OWNED ALL!!! He bailed out on the last note of the song, but hey, I can't hit it, who am I to judge?
Figuring it was SF, they would play the pot to be ironic, but its alright, because everyone was in a good mood so it set the stage for a great show. I was up 15 ft. from the stage and at some points I thought I was just going to faint, esepcially during 46&2 and schism. I wanted to sing so bad, but if I did, I struggled to catch my damn breath even more!
Last time I saw 10,000 Days, some idiot got on stage and ruined it for Maynard, so hearing him do it with full passion was so powerful. Lateralus is always just beatiful and Vicarious was flawless. At the end of it, the house lights didnt come on for about a minute and they looked at each other like they really wanted to do Aenima, and I thought they would because they didnt play Lost Keys. I haven't checked LA's setlist yet, but im assuming for the time being Aenima was played because its about LA.

While I can always hope for the Grudge all I want, I know I'll probably never get to see that song live. Especially after another 5 years for Maynards vocals if they do make another record and tour.

I'm so fucking happy right now :) This show was better than Rage downtown, and thats hard to out-do.

Last edited by musicmansf; 12-12-2007 at 12:50 AM..
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
46&2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Intermission with SICK ASS LIGHTS
Wings for Marie Pt.1
10,000 Days Pt.2
Lateralus (with Primus' drummer and Trans Am Drummer)
Holiday in Cambodia!!!
Vicarious

Well, this cleared up alot of things. This is the Tool show I needed after being raped at Street Scene by idiots in San Diego, and the Reno show when it seemed everyone was off thier game. I didn't look at set lists because I was hoping for a new suprise this time round, but hey, FUCKING HOLIDAY IN CAMBODIA!!! Now I think the Dead Kennedy's are shit, but thats a great song, and Tool playing it? Uh...fucking awesome! Maynard was fuckin' hilarious and talkative which was great after him walking off the stage a few times in Reno, especially during the climax of Schism, this time, hearing him sing it made me fucking smile ear to ear :) They did extended stinkfist and it was great hearing everyone sing out of place. Oh man, I have no words for this show!!!! FLOOD OWNED ALL!!! He bailed out on the last note of the song, but hey, I can't hit it, who am I to judge?
Figuring it was SF, they would play the pot to be ironic, but its alright, because everyone was in a good mood so it set the stage for a great show. I was up 15 ft. from the stage and at some points I thought I was just going to faint, esepcially during 46&2 and schism. I wanted to sing so bad, but if I did, I struggled to catch my damn breath even more!
Last time I saw 10,000 Days, some idiot got on stage and ruined it for Maynard, so hearing him do it with full passion was so powerful. Lateralus is always just beatiful and Vicarious was flawless. At the end of it, the house lights didnt come on for about a minute and they looked at each other like they really wanted to do Aenima, and I thought they would because they didnt play Lost Keys. I haven't checked LA's setlist yet, but im assuming for the time being Aenima was played because its about LA.

While I can always hope for the Grudge all I want, I know I'll probably never get to see that song live. Especially after another 5 years for Maynards vocals if they do make another record and tour.

I'm so fucking happy right now :) This show was better than Rage downtown, and thats hard to out-do.

Last edited by musicmansf; 12-12-2007 at 12:50 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Anaguma
12-12-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmansf View Post
I was just cruising the reviews of last night's L.A. show, and it seems that the band did the same thing at the end of the set then, too. Strange. Up against time constraints? Feeling tired? Maynard's voice not up for the task? I dunno...i did notice that Maynard tended to avoid hitting the really intense notes for some songs (he brought the note of the last scream in Flood down, and he just let the audience do the last bit for Vicarious), so who knows. I was really expecting an encore of some sort.

And also as a minor, general gripe: Tool, could you guys please do a couple more songs from the Opiate/Undertow days? The last few years, you've been treating those albums like red-headed stepchildren you keep locked in the attic. The lyric content alone from some of those songs are worth revisiting, considering what's going on these days ("Intolerance", anyone?)...
Old 12-12-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Dec 11San Francisco, CA Bill Graham Civic

Quote:
I was just cruising the reviews of last night's L.A. show, and it seems that the band did the same thing at the end of the set then, too. Strange. Up against time constraints? Feeling tired? Maynard's voice not up for the task? I dunno...i did notice that Maynard tended to avoid hitting the really intense notes for some songs (he brought the note of the last scream in Flood down, and he just let the audience do the last bit for Vicarious), so who knows. I was really expecting an encore of some sort.

And also as a minor, general gripe: Tool, could you guys please do a couple more songs from the Opiate/Undertow days? The last few years, you've been treating those albums like red-headed stepchildren you keep locked in the attic. The lyric content alone from some of those songs are worth revisiting, considering what's going on these days ("Intolerance", anyone?)...
OFFLINE |  
wix3l's Avatar wix3l
12-12-2007, 12:50 AM

Holy. FUCKING. shit.

That was crackin

jambi
stinkfist (extended)
forty-six & 2
schism (extended)
rosetta stoned
flood
wings for marie
10,000 days
lateralus (extended)
holiday in cambodia (ft. Jello Biafra on vocals)
vicarious

some funny maynardisms:
before lateralus drum shit--- "let the drum-off begin" after the "drum off" he held up score cards....first an 8 then a 9.... 89??? 89 earthquake??? i thought we were getting aenema.
"no animals were harmed in the making of this music...."
something he said at last years Oakland show right before they got off stage....."peace the fuck out"

highlights were:
stinkfist
schism
flood
wings 1+2 (first time seeing!!!!)
lateralus
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

Holy. FUCKING. shit.

That was crackin

jambi
stinkfist (extended)
forty-six & 2
schism (extended)
rosetta stoned
flood
wings for marie
10,000 days
lateralus (extended)
holiday in cambodia (ft. Jello Biafra on vocals)
vicarious

some funny maynardisms:
before lateralus drum shit--- "let the drum-off begin" after the "drum off" he held up score cards....first an 8 then a 9.... 89??? 89 earthquake??? i thought we were getting aenema.
"no animals were harmed in the making of this music...."
something he said at last years Oakland show right before they got off stage....."peace the fuck out"

highlights were:
stinkfist
schism
flood
wings 1+2 (first time seeing!!!!)
lateralus
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
OFFLINE |  
vision4bg
12-12-2007, 01:01 AM

Wow.

Great gig. Solid setlist, but not the best. Still doesn't beat opening with Third Eye in 1997. Very samey to the last couple of shows I've seen too. That said, I'm not complaining. First half of the show was fucking fantastic.

Real highlight was seeing Jello Biafra of all people! Unbelievable. So stoked I could be there for that. Kabir, you missed out bra!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow.

Great gig. Solid setlist, but not the best. Still doesn't beat opening with Third Eye in 1997. Very samey to the last couple of shows I've seen too. That said, I'm not complaining. First half of the show was fucking fantastic.

Real highlight was seeing Jello Biafra of all people! Unbelievable. So stoked I could be there for that. Kabir, you missed out bra!
OFFLINE |  
kr580
12-12-2007, 01:06 AM

My first Tool show... amazing.

The lights were amazing throughout. I'm still in awe. I don't know what I can say about the performance other than it was amazing. Is there any band that puts on a better performance?

No disappointments AT ALL. I tend to hype things up in my mind and end up disappointed but this show blew my mind. I really hope they do come back SOON. I can't wait.

Maynard before the 'drum-off': "Time for drum silliness."

Maynard speaking of the techs in the white smocks: "These are our oompa loompas. We got them in a fire sale. I guess they were too tall to work in the chocolate factory. Thank you oompa loompas!"
Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

My first Tool show... amazing.

The lights were amazing throughout. I'm still in awe. I don't know what I can say about the performance other than it was amazing. Is there any band that puts on a better performance?

No disappointments AT ALL. I tend to hype things up in my mind and end up disappointed but this show blew my mind. I really hope they do come back SOON. I can't wait.

Maynard before the 'drum-off': "Time for drum silliness."

Maynard speaking of the techs in the white smocks: "These are our oompa loompas. We got them in a fire sale. I guess they were too tall to work in the chocolate factory. Thank you oompa loompas!"
OFFLINE |  
taxicabgod's Avatar taxicabgod
12-12-2007, 01:20 AM

I liked nokia better. just sayin. but that's mostly cause i was in a killer seat last night and tonight i was way up top left and it was muddy sound up there.
i should have got there early but i was more concerned with finding some good chinese food so in the end i fk'd myself with that move cause all the good seats were gone. and i'm too short and too old for that floor. however, the floor tonight was an impressive thing to watch from above. made me wish i still had it in me.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I liked nokia better. just sayin. but that's mostly cause i was in a killer seat last night and tonight i was way up top left and it was muddy sound up there.
i should have got there early but i was more concerned with finding some good chinese food so in the end i fk'd myself with that move cause all the good seats were gone. and i'm too short and too old for that floor. however, the floor tonight was an impressive thing to watch from above. made me wish i still had it in me.
OFFLINE |  
kr580
12-12-2007, 01:28 AM

Also, after the drum-off Tim Alexander (of Primus) flung a drumstick which landed near Maynard which Maynard then proceeded to try to auction it off to the crowd. :D

Maynard's awesome.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:28 AM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Also, after the drum-off Tim Alexander (of Primus) flung a drumstick which landed near Maynard which Maynard then proceeded to try to auction it off to the crowd. :D

Maynard's awesome.
OFFLINE |  
musicmansf
12-12-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post

Maynard's awesome.
It really was such a great feeling knowing he was having a good time in our fuckin' city! More importantly...was he being sarcastic...or serious about seeing us real soon? haha, I don't even know if I'd want to spoil tonight by seeing them again. My jaw is still on the ground back at the damn civic center
Old 12-12-2007, 01:49 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post

Maynard's awesome.
It really was such a great feeling knowing he was having a good time in our fuckin' city! More importantly...was he being sarcastic...or serious about seeing us real soon? haha, I don't even know if I'd want to spoil tonight by seeing them again. My jaw is still on the ground back at the damn civic center
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
12-12-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucemoose3311 View Post

I know what you mean, lol!

My 2nd time seeing them. This time, I got to see the visuals, so I enjoyed this show a lot more. I was on the floor last time, and didn't see the visuals too well.

Yeah, I'm glad they played "flood". I just wanted to hear something different from Undertow, and that was it.

I don't think I heard Maynard say "Vicariously I . . ." at the end, but maybe I missed it, or the audience did it for him.

The audience sang along the most with Wings For Marie & 10,000 Days.

At some point, I would love to hear any of: "Prison Sex", "The Grudge", "Third Eye", "jimmy", "Pushit", "Intolerance", "Hooker With A Penis".

They played just over 2 hours, nice!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:02 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucemoose3311 View Post

I know what you mean, lol!

My 2nd time seeing them. This time, I got to see the visuals, so I enjoyed this show a lot more. I was on the floor last time, and didn't see the visuals too well.

Yeah, I'm glad they played "flood". I just wanted to hear something different from Undertow, and that was it.

I don't think I heard Maynard say "Vicariously I . . ." at the end, but maybe I missed it, or the audience did it for him.

The audience sang along the most with Wings For Marie & 10,000 Days.

At some point, I would love to hear any of: "Prison Sex", "The Grudge", "Third Eye", "jimmy", "Pushit", "Intolerance", "Hooker With A Penis".

They played just over 2 hours, nice!
OFFLINE |  
blp
12-12-2007, 03:13 AM

unreal as always... this was either my 8th or 9th show, first time was in 93, and this was my third 10kdays show, and by FAR the best. the new light show at the intermission is unbelievable. was my sister's first tool show and she was blown away... i just can't describe how unreal their live set is, it's totally amazing. i mean it HAS to go down as one of the best live shows ever--i really mean that. first class all the way.

i feel special we got to see Tool do a cover they've never done before (at least to my knowledge) when they started into it, it was like 'is this really happening?!'.. they nailed it too.

i really hope when MJK said they'd see us again soon and he meant it from the bottom of his heart that they are going to continue to tour. i just feel like every show i see may be the last one for a long while, if not ever. i really hope for our sakes they go keep touring a while and then go back and record another disc sometime in the future.

the thing that made this show so special i think was they were in prime form, played SO clean and so tight all night, and MJK was really REALLY in good spirits. he said 10x more tonight than he did at the previous two shows i saw at Marysville and Reno. and with the exception of the end of Vicarious, he sang HARD all night.

Flood an Lateralus stood out to me tonight, and it was an especially moving version of Wings/10kdays too. for me, Flood was the topper tonight, been a while since I have seen them play that one and it was just perfect.

only negative was that it took 75 minutes SEVENtY FIVE to get out of the parking garage. then it took us another 30 to get onto the bay bridge because of road work. but it was well worth it...

we had after show passes, but decided to skip it because we heard they almost never show for them... think i'll just save the sticker for a keepsake or something. no way i was going to stand in a line for an hour and get stiffed heh. hopethey come back soon!
Old 12-12-2007, 03:13 AM   #17
blp
Level 4 - Thinker

unreal as always... this was either my 8th or 9th show, first time was in 93, and this was my third 10kdays show, and by FAR the best. the new light show at the intermission is unbelievable. was my sister's first tool show and she was blown away... i just can't describe how unreal their live set is, it's totally amazing. i mean it HAS to go down as one of the best live shows ever--i really mean that. first class all the way.

i feel special we got to see Tool do a cover they've never done before (at least to my knowledge) when they started into it, it was like 'is this really happening?!'.. they nailed it too.

i really hope when MJK said they'd see us again soon and he meant it from the bottom of his heart that they are going to continue to tour. i just feel like every show i see may be the last one for a long while, if not ever. i really hope for our sakes they go keep touring a while and then go back and record another disc sometime in the future.

the thing that made this show so special i think was they were in prime form, played SO clean and so tight all night, and MJK was really REALLY in good spirits. he said 10x more tonight than he did at the previous two shows i saw at Marysville and Reno. and with the exception of the end of Vicarious, he sang HARD all night.

Flood an Lateralus stood out to me tonight, and it was an especially moving version of Wings/10kdays too. for me, Flood was the topper tonight, been a while since I have seen them play that one and it was just perfect.

only negative was that it took 75 minutes SEVENtY FIVE to get out of the parking garage. then it took us another 30 to get onto the bay bridge because of road work. but it was well worth it...

we had after show passes, but decided to skip it because we heard they almost never show for them... think i'll just save the sticker for a keepsake or something. no way i was going to stand in a line for an hour and get stiffed heh. hopethey come back soon!
OFFLINE |  
c_lainhart
12-12-2007, 09:12 AM

Trans Am Live - Good
Tool Live - Outstanding
Tool performing "Holiday in Cambodia" w/ Jello Biafra...Live - Priceless

My 12th show and they don't ever disappoint.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

Trans Am Live - Good
Tool Live - Outstanding
Tool performing "Holiday in Cambodia" w/ Jello Biafra...Live - Priceless

My 12th show and they don't ever disappoint.
OFFLINE |  
benlong
12-12-2007, 09:23 AM

About '...from the bottom of my heart.' He then said, 'So, peace the fuck out'.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

About '...from the bottom of my heart.' He then said, 'So, peace the fuck out'.
OFFLINE |  
voltaic
12-12-2007, 09:32 AM

4th show in four years, first one in San Fran.

Trans Am was surprisingly good. I had listened to some samples from their website and was unimpressed, but they were completely awesome on stage. I'm going to have to go listen to their sampels again to see where I went wrong! It's excellent how Tool always has high quality acts touring with them, from Trans Am to Isis to King Crimson. Had a good spot on the floor and loved every minute of the show. Took my girlfriend (it was her first Tool show) and they played all of her favorite songs: Jambi, Schism, and 46 & Two, so huge bonus there. I was disappointed that they didn't play Right In Two on this tour, and I had hoped they play Aenima for this California show but no such luck. Learn to swim!

Adam and Justin were killing it, neither one looked like he was ready to stop... they just kept hammering and hammering and hammering. Danny was in great form, and the "drum contest" was cool. The Trans Am drummer moves like a blur; you can barely see his arms when he gets going. Jello Biafra has put on some serious weight; I guess he isn't burning as many calories fighting the man anymore. But as someone who missed out on the original punk era by only a few years, it was still awesome to see him perform live. His front-stage animation is totally different from Maynard's background passivity. Maynard was in great voice. He only missed one line during one song (I think it was during Lateralus) but he was hitting the notes every which-a-way. Those guys really kick it for the larger cities (this is the first time I've seen Tool in a "big city").

Over all, while the acoustics in the auditorium aren't as good as other venues, it was an excellent show. I'm very happy to have been able to go, and the drive time there and back and all the other stuff I had to organize around it, was all worth it. Every bit.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

4th show in four years, first one in San Fran.

Trans Am was surprisingly good. I had listened to some samples from their website and was unimpressed, but they were completely awesome on stage. I'm going to have to go listen to their sampels again to see where I went wrong! It's excellent how Tool always has high quality acts touring with them, from Trans Am to Isis to King Crimson. Had a good spot on the floor and loved every minute of the show. Took my girlfriend (it was her first Tool show) and they played all of her favorite songs: Jambi, Schism, and 46 & Two, so huge bonus there. I was disappointed that they didn't play Right In Two on this tour, and I had hoped they play Aenima for this California show but no such luck. Learn to swim!

Adam and Justin were killing it, neither one looked like he was ready to stop... they just kept hammering and hammering and hammering. Danny was in great form, and the "drum contest" was cool. The Trans Am drummer moves like a blur; you can barely see his arms when he gets going. Jello Biafra has put on some serious weight; I guess he isn't burning as many calories fighting the man anymore. But as someone who missed out on the original punk era by only a few years, it was still awesome to see him perform live. His front-stage animation is totally different from Maynard's background passivity. Maynard was in great voice. He only missed one line during one song (I think it was during Lateralus) but he was hitting the notes every which-a-way. Those guys really kick it for the larger cities (this is the first time I've seen Tool in a "big city").

Over all, while the acoustics in the auditorium aren't as good as other venues, it was an excellent show. I'm very happy to have been able to go, and the drive time there and back and all the other stuff I had to organize around it, was all worth it. Every bit.
OFFLINE |  
Team Coors Light
12-12-2007, 10:28 AM

TransAm was lame, period.

I cried during Rosetta Stoned.

'Nuff said.

Thanks Tool!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

TransAm was lame, period.

I cried during Rosetta Stoned.

'Nuff said.

Thanks Tool!!!
12-12-2007, 11:14 AM

First off, it's pretty amazing that I was even able to attend last night's show.

THANK YOU CAROLYN!

Moving forward. This was definitely the best show I've seen recently. After the Reno show, it could only get better. Adam was spot on and shredding it up and down in all his stoic bliss. <3 Adam <3

Danny=Skins Master for life.

Flood was a great addition to the setlist. Great performance on that little didy.

Dead Kennedys, a San Francisco treat! Nice surprise and excellent rendition of Holiday in Cambodia, especially if they had one day to rehearse that(?).

Kudos to the crowd for not being inconsiderate retards during WFM/10KDays. Tool sailed flawlessly through those songs with a lot of passion.

When they first started this tour, I was less than thrilled with the vocals being so subdued. Honestly, I feel it's a lot better that way. I like hearing the intricities of Adam's playing and FEELING the power of Danny's drumming, coupled with experiencing the fury that is Justin. Most of us have experienced Tool circa 1990's when Maynard could perform like no other. It's hard to face it, but long gone are the days of bellowing and holding notes for 40 seconds, while in some tantric yoga formation.

Tool have definitely molded into just what they need to be, right now in this day
and age.

Thank you TOOL. I hope to see you again real soon and I mean that from the
bottom of my heart.

Last edited by livid star; 12-12-2007 at 11:26 AM..
Old 12-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #22
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

First off, it's pretty amazing that I was even able to attend last night's show.

THANK YOU CAROLYN!

Moving forward. This was definitely the best show I've seen recently. After the Reno show, it could only get better. Adam was spot on and shredding it up and down in all his stoic bliss. <3 Adam <3

Danny=Skins Master for life.

Flood was a great addition to the setlist. Great performance on that little didy.

Dead Kennedys, a San Francisco treat! Nice surprise and excellent rendition of Holiday in Cambodia, especially if they had one day to rehearse that(?).

Kudos to the crowd for not being inconsiderate retards during WFM/10KDays. Tool sailed flawlessly through those songs with a lot of passion.

When they first started this tour, I was less than thrilled with the vocals being so subdued. Honestly, I feel it's a lot better that way. I like hearing the intricities of Adam's playing and FEELING the power of Danny's drumming, coupled with experiencing the fury that is Justin. Most of us have experienced Tool circa 1990's when Maynard could perform like no other. It's hard to face it, but long gone are the days of bellowing and holding notes for 40 seconds, while in some tantric yoga formation.

Tool have definitely molded into just what they need to be, right now in this day
and age.

Thank you TOOL. I hope to see you again real soon and I mean that from the
bottom of my heart.

Last edited by livid star; 12-12-2007 at 11:26 AM..
OFFLINE |  
blp
12-12-2007, 11:34 AM

The sound was incredible where I was standing, as good as any show I can remember. I was about 15 feet to the right of the very front of the sound board though, so I'm sure that helped a lot. It was very balanced and no one was too loud or quiet. I was able to hear every part of the band distinctly that's for sure. Adam's guitar sounds so effing good, every time I seen them I just drool over his tone.. and he played so clean last night. Danny and Justin were as-one and flawless like usual and MJK was really into it, so it really made for a great show.

Last edited by marcus; 12-12-2007 at 09:50 PM..
Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #23
blp
Level 4 - Thinker

The sound was incredible where I was standing, as good as any show I can remember. I was about 15 feet to the right of the very front of the sound board though, so I'm sure that helped a lot. It was very balanced and no one was too loud or quiet. I was able to hear every part of the band distinctly that's for sure. Adam's guitar sounds so effing good, every time I seen them I just drool over his tone.. and he played so clean last night. Danny and Justin were as-one and flawless like usual and MJK was really into it, so it really made for a great show.

Last edited by marcus; 12-12-2007 at 09:50 PM..
OFFLINE |  
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
12-12-2007, 11:43 AM

This was my second Tool show. I saw them last September in Oakland and the entire experience and show made me feel like shit. Oakland sucks and the show was just "good". I ended up becoming a Tool bootleg freak as anyone here knows...I just had to go and listen to every other 2006 and 2007 show for some reason. And you know what? They are all the same. They sound exactly the same. But for some reason I still wanted to go.

Jambi
(-) ions
Stinkfist (extended)
Forty Six & 2
'Vicarious Jam'
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood (w/long intro)
intermission
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus (extended w/Sebastian and Herb)
Holiday in Cambodia (w/Jello Biafra)
Vicarious

In 2006 it looked like they were working out the visuals system and testing the setlist. Now, they have a locked in setlist and it's a complete full out audio and visual experience. When they played Holiday in Cambodia, it was augmented with a few visuals and lights, and only toward the end. The contrast between the simple lighting and visuals for this song compared to the INSANELY powerful visuals of every song before it was huge. It's all about the combined experience.

I had great seats, my girlfriend and I showed up at 6:45 or so; there was no line at Will Call so we got our tickets and walked to the back of the line (which was out to Market by the way). We walked right in, went to the second floor, and found two seats in DEAD CENTER. People give me shit for it, but I just want to kick back and relax. I had my feet propped up on the seat in front of me and my entire vision was filled. They had too much to see, man. They went to 11 on the visuals. And a 0.3 for Holiday in Camboda btw. The seats REALLY matter, it seems. Being in the floor before, I couldn't see the screens on stage or the floors. The lasers just go over and behind your head so it's really no good. Last night I could see everything in front of me perfectly. A very different visual experience. Although, they did add a couple huge screens to the left and right of stage, I suppose for the benefit of those people on the floor. I don't know why they didn't use that setup in 2006; they were already using it in 2002!

MAYNARD was in a great mood. He came out and started making fun of San Francisco, telling us to put our hands in the air and then down to our ass, because it was going to be a long ride. He was in top shape, he sounded more "steady" than he was in Oakland...I didn't hear any wavering vocals. The powerful passages came through, even though he is now mixed way low.

ADAM was awesome. He's chill and creates some great sounds. Loved his playing on Rosetta Stoned.

JUSTIN--love how he stood in the way front while everyone was in the back. He rumbled my balls.

DANNY: so does this guy play the drums or what?

Thoughts:

Did anyone else feel like there was a glitch in the visualization system during Vicarious? I can't remember the exact section of the song, but the visualization stuck to just a plain, unmoving eye that blinked slowly and just stopped. And waited. And blinked slowly. I thought I heard the band quickly waver...and then pick up the pace very fast, and in the next section of the song, everything went back to normal. Or maybe it was my imagination.

Playing that 'Vicarious jam' (that's what the setlists say it is) before Schism was very interesting. I recognized it but its place in the setlist was unique. And duh, they went into Schism like I knew they would. (It was before Schism, right? It may have been Forty Six & 2, I dunno)

My girlfriend was so fucking excited. At her favorite parts she'd grab my leg out of pure excitement! haha, I don't know why, but even after hearing Stinkfist over forty thousand times, there's still enough excitement in it. She thought they were going to play Third Eye (she doesn't know anything about their ions/stinkfist combo) so she was freaking out during (-) ions!

The Civic Auditorium rocks. I'm so glad I didn't have to go to Oakland.

Did anyone else trip? :)

In summary, Tool is amazing in a live context.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #24
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

This was my second Tool show. I saw them last September in Oakland and the entire experience and show made me feel like shit. Oakland sucks and the show was just "good". I ended up becoming a Tool bootleg freak as anyone here knows...I just had to go and listen to every other 2006 and 2007 show for some reason. And you know what? They are all the same. They sound exactly the same. But for some reason I still wanted to go.

Jambi
(-) ions
Stinkfist (extended)
Forty Six & 2
'Vicarious Jam'
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood (w/long intro)
intermission
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus (extended w/Sebastian and Herb)
Holiday in Cambodia (w/Jello Biafra)
Vicarious

In 2006 it looked like they were working out the visuals system and testing the setlist. Now, they have a locked in setlist and it's a complete full out audio and visual experience. When they played Holiday in Cambodia, it was augmented with a few visuals and lights, and only toward the end. The contrast between the simple lighting and visuals for this song compared to the INSANELY powerful visuals of every song before it was huge. It's all about the combined experience.

I had great seats, my girlfriend and I showed up at 6:45 or so; there was no line at Will Call so we got our tickets and walked to the back of the line (which was out to Market by the way). We walked right in, went to the second floor, and found two seats in DEAD CENTER. People give me shit for it, but I just want to kick back and relax. I had my feet propped up on the seat in front of me and my entire vision was filled. They had too much to see, man. They went to 11 on the visuals. And a 0.3 for Holiday in Camboda btw. The seats REALLY matter, it seems. Being in the floor before, I couldn't see the screens on stage or the floors. The lasers just go over and behind your head so it's really no good. Last night I could see everything in front of me perfectly. A very different visual experience. Although, they did add a couple huge screens to the left and right of stage, I suppose for the benefit of those people on the floor. I don't know why they didn't use that setup in 2006; they were already using it in 2002!

MAYNARD was in a great mood. He came out and started making fun of San Francisco, telling us to put our hands in the air and then down to our ass, because it was going to be a long ride. He was in top shape, he sounded more "steady" than he was in Oakland...I didn't hear any wavering vocals. The powerful passages came through, even though he is now mixed way low.

ADAM was awesome. He's chill and creates some great sounds. Loved his playing on Rosetta Stoned.

JUSTIN--love how he stood in the way front while everyone was in the back. He rumbled my balls.

DANNY: so does this guy play the drums or what?

Thoughts:

Did anyone else feel like there was a glitch in the visualization system during Vicarious? I can't remember the exact section of the song, but the visualization stuck to just a plain, unmoving eye that blinked slowly and just stopped. And waited. And blinked slowly. I thought I heard the band quickly waver...and then pick up the pace very fast, and in the next section of the song, everything went back to normal. Or maybe it was my imagination.

Playing that 'Vicarious jam' (that's what the setlists say it is) before Schism was very interesting. I recognized it but its place in the setlist was unique. And duh, they went into Schism like I knew they would. (It was before Schism, right? It may have been Forty Six & 2, I dunno)

My girlfriend was so fucking excited. At her favorite parts she'd grab my leg out of pure excitement! haha, I don't know why, but even after hearing Stinkfist over forty thousand times, there's still enough excitement in it. She thought they were going to play Third Eye (she doesn't know anything about their ions/stinkfist combo) so she was freaking out during (-) ions!

The Civic Auditorium rocks. I'm so glad I didn't have to go to Oakland.

Did anyone else trip? :)

In summary, Tool is amazing in a live context.
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM

First concert since 2002. I've loved Flood pretty much since it became the intro sound on TDN, and in the last couple years it's become my favorite. But HOLY HELL I never expected to see it live. The 2nd half of Rosetta Stoned from "Then they showed me something / I don't even know where to begin" through the intermission to Flood was too much for me. I had a couple drinks but otherwise no mind-alterants, and still I can barely remember the concert from that point on. My brain must have been like "Ok dude, you're cut off. No more awesome for you."

FLOOD! Damn. Still no believe.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

First concert since 2002. I've loved Flood pretty much since it became the intro sound on TDN, and in the last couple years it's become my favorite. But HOLY HELL I never expected to see it live. The 2nd half of Rosetta Stoned from "Then they showed me something / I don't even know where to begin" through the intermission to Flood was too much for me. I had a couple drinks but otherwise no mind-alterants, and still I can barely remember the concert from that point on. My brain must have been like "Ok dude, you're cut off. No more awesome for you."

FLOOD! Damn. Still no believe.
Triptolemus's Avatar Triptolemus
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM

What else can be said? My fourth show of the 10KDays tour, and this was by far the best. Others have commented on Reno, Marysville and Oakland - and how they compared. Others have also commented on how on-fire Maynard was... Danny's a god, Justin rumbled balls, Adam tranced us out... all great stuff. The bonus drum-silliness... Jello Biafra! What more can be said?

So I will comment on...

... the bar. Good god almighty the bar lines were WAY out of control. 45 minutes in line for 2 24 oz beers made me question my commitment to alcoholism. You'd think at around $1,000 profit per keg, they would have opened up a couple more bars.

And I'm sorry that, near section 310, I initiated the uproar of laughter at the poor bastard who waited no less than 45 minutes to get his beer only to walk across the corridor and spill the fucker all over the floor. It was a sad, sad moment. I watched wondering if his friend would share his beer. Disappointed, Mr. Beer Spiller received no sympathy from his friend as he attempted to suck the last few drops of beer out of his empty, pathetic plastic cup.

Also, thanks to whoever-you-were for sharing your bodacious weed which made me hallucinate during Lateralus.

Good times, good times!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

What else can be said? My fourth show of the 10KDays tour, and this was by far the best. Others have commented on Reno, Marysville and Oakland - and how they compared. Others have also commented on how on-fire Maynard was... Danny's a god, Justin rumbled balls, Adam tranced us out... all great stuff. The bonus drum-silliness... Jello Biafra! What more can be said?

So I will comment on...

... the bar. Good god almighty the bar lines were WAY out of control. 45 minutes in line for 2 24 oz beers made me question my commitment to alcoholism. You'd think at around $1,000 profit per keg, they would have opened up a couple more bars.

And I'm sorry that, near section 310, I initiated the uproar of laughter at the poor bastard who waited no less than 45 minutes to get his beer only to walk across the corridor and spill the fucker all over the floor. It was a sad, sad moment. I watched wondering if his friend would share his beer. Disappointed, Mr. Beer Spiller received no sympathy from his friend as he attempted to suck the last few drops of beer out of his empty, pathetic plastic cup.

Also, thanks to whoever-you-were for sharing your bodacious weed which made me hallucinate during Lateralus.

Good times, good times!
OFFLINE |  
enklined
12-12-2007, 01:26 PM

Let me preface by saying this was my 4th 10,000 Days show (Oakland, Friday LA show, Reno, and now SF).

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. This show was awesome. The audio was great (I was 10-15 feet to the right of the sound board) and the visuals were FANTASTIC! They added some new imagery and lighting since the Reno show.

Highlights (if thats possible, as the whole show was fucking solid):

Flood - off the hook - wow! That song is awesome on the album, but even better live. Fuck...I'm still blown away.

Rosetta Stoned - Always great. That song is incredible Live.

Lateralus - "Let the drum silliness begin"-MJK. And so it was. FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC. Danny is a MACHINE on the kit. Mind blowing. Tim was great, too. Couldn't see Sebastian from TransAm all that well, and couldn't even hear his kit for the first couple minutes (was his mics off for a bit?)

The band seemed to be in a good mood and in good spirits - Everyone played hard and solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptolemus View Post
You were'nt hallucinating bro, that was the awesome visuals! Haha.

GREAT FUCKING SHOW.
Money can buy a lot of things...for everything else, there's Tool.

Last edited by enklined; 12-12-2007 at 05:48 PM..
Old 12-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #27
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Let me preface by saying this was my 4th 10,000 Days show (Oakland, Friday LA show, Reno, and now SF).

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. This show was awesome. The audio was great (I was 10-15 feet to the right of the sound board) and the visuals were FANTASTIC! They added some new imagery and lighting since the Reno show.

Highlights (if thats possible, as the whole show was fucking solid):

Flood - off the hook - wow! That song is awesome on the album, but even better live. Fuck...I'm still blown away.

Rosetta Stoned - Always great. That song is incredible Live.

Lateralus - "Let the drum silliness begin"-MJK. And so it was. FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC. Danny is a MACHINE on the kit. Mind blowing. Tim was great, too. Couldn't see Sebastian from TransAm all that well, and couldn't even hear his kit for the first couple minutes (was his mics off for a bit?)

The band seemed to be in a good mood and in good spirits - Everyone played hard and solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptolemus View Post
You were'nt hallucinating bro, that was the awesome visuals! Haha.

GREAT FUCKING SHOW.

Last edited by enklined; 12-12-2007 at 05:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
TOOLEYE
12-12-2007, 01:52 PM

great show....sitting seven rows up, looking down on D.C and justin....definately the best sound out of six i've seen....bill graham is definately a top notch venue with the most lax security overall also...saw cameras all over the place...D.C was a one last night, i finally got the side view i'd been trying for to be able to watch the king work his magic and it was everything i expected and more, especially when it seems you're sitting right on top of the stage. amazing how he makes it look so effortless. having my best look at the stage video screen was mindblowing...flood video was amazing..can't possibly pick out a highlight or six for that matter as the whole show was top notch...had a great time at tommy's joynt at the pre show. and by the way D.C....LET'S GO WARRIORS
Old 12-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #28
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

great show....sitting seven rows up, looking down on D.C and justin....definately the best sound out of six i've seen....bill graham is definately a top notch venue with the most lax security overall also...saw cameras all over the place...D.C was a one last night, i finally got the side view i'd been trying for to be able to watch the king work his magic and it was everything i expected and more, especially when it seems you're sitting right on top of the stage. amazing how he makes it look so effortless. having my best look at the stage video screen was mindblowing...flood video was amazing..can't possibly pick out a highlight or six for that matter as the whole show was top notch...had a great time at tommy's joynt at the pre show. and by the way D.C....LET'S GO WARRIORS
12-12-2007, 02:32 PM

By the way...how about that fuckin brown note in Trans Am's second song??? Jesus, that was the most ridiculous bass response I've ever heard.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

By the way...how about that fuckin brown note in Trans Am's second song??? Jesus, that was the most ridiculous bass response I've ever heard.
OFFLINE |  
lockdown12's Avatar lockdown12
12-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Great show, good to see them again. Songs were powerful as always and they look like they're having fun with getting their buds up on stage with them and what not. Missed Trans Am, I will have to check them out later.

Re: Maynard's "improvising" on vocal lines. Two theories, one of them not mine: 1) (mine) He simply can't sing like he used to night in and night out. So he has to change some lines around, lowering high belt-out parts, etc. 2) (my better half) it is more of an unwillingness than an inability, based on him not "feeling it" and being bored, his cynicism getting the best of him.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Great show, good to see them again. Songs were powerful as always and they look like they're having fun with getting their buds up on stage with them and what not. Missed Trans Am, I will have to check them out later.

Re: Maynard's "improvising" on vocal lines. Two theories, one of them not mine: 1) (mine) He simply can't sing like he used to night in and night out. So he has to change some lines around, lowering high belt-out parts, etc. 2) (my better half) it is more of an unwillingness than an inability, based on him not "feeling it" and being bored, his cynicism getting the best of him.
OFFLINE |  
Mindwarper
12-12-2007, 03:20 PM

This was my 7th Tool show and the 1st they have played Flood since the 98 tour. Which also had Tim Alexander on the oncore. Jello Biafra was a surprise. The whole set was fantastic. Much better sound then the Oakland show. I had a great time and I didn't see anything bad happen. It just took forever to get home because of the bridge work. I would like to see Jerk Off back in the setlist, but thats me wanting more older songs. Tim was fantastic in the drum off. I love his timbali and tom style. Very distinctive. I met him once and a party (didn't know it was him) and mentioned the 98 Tool show with Tim playing on the last two songs. He said one and I didn't understand what he meant. Later my friend asked what I was talking about with Tim. I was laughing. I was talking to Tim about Tim. Later I got a video bootleg of the show and recognized him. My vision isn't so good. I had a vague recollection of him on stage when I was talking to him. I thought it was a funny story. When I watched the tape, I realized that he and the Melvin drummer were only on Opiate, not flood as well. So I finally understood what he meant by "one". Anyway, what a great show. The intermission was a perfect time to meet my neighbors and share a bowl. To the cute female next to me with a lighter...thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 7th Tool show and the 1st they have played Flood since the 98 tour. Which also had Tim Alexander on the oncore. Jello Biafra was a surprise. The whole set was fantastic. Much better sound then the Oakland show. I had a great time and I didn't see anything bad happen. It just took forever to get home because of the bridge work. I would like to see Jerk Off back in the setlist, but thats me wanting more older songs. Tim was fantastic in the drum off. I love his timbali and tom style. Very distinctive. I met him once and a party (didn't know it was him) and mentioned the 98 Tool show with Tim playing on the last two songs. He said one and I didn't understand what he meant. Later my friend asked what I was talking about with Tim. I was laughing. I was talking to Tim about Tim. Later I got a video bootleg of the show and recognized him. My vision isn't so good. I had a vague recollection of him on stage when I was talking to him. I thought it was a funny story. When I watched the tape, I realized that he and the Melvin drummer were only on Opiate, not flood as well. So I finally understood what he meant by "one". Anyway, what a great show. The intermission was a perfect time to meet my neighbors and share a bowl. To the cute female next to me with a lighter...thanks.
OFFLINE |  
rayro38
12-12-2007, 03:25 PM

I saw my favorite band in my favorite city. I used to live and work in San Francisco 16 years ago. Great set last night, worth the 900 mile drive. I had far better seats thanks to the general admission tix I got. Up on the first tier, straight in front of them.

Stinkfist, 46n2, and Flood were worth the cost of the tickets alone. This was a perfect venue for Tool to play in. The sound was perfect, the visuals were off the hook. I especially liked the intro visual a few seconds before the start of Jambi, showing the Tool logo. This was my third show this year, and by far the best.

Thank you again Tool. (And please come back to Tucson ASAP, save me some gas money :)
Old 12-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

I saw my favorite band in my favorite city. I used to live and work in San Francisco 16 years ago. Great set last night, worth the 900 mile drive. I had far better seats thanks to the general admission tix I got. Up on the first tier, straight in front of them.

Stinkfist, 46n2, and Flood were worth the cost of the tickets alone. This was a perfect venue for Tool to play in. The sound was perfect, the visuals were off the hook. I especially liked the intro visual a few seconds before the start of Jambi, showing the Tool logo. This was my third show this year, and by far the best.

Thank you again Tool. (And please come back to Tucson ASAP, save me some gas money :)
OFFLINE |  
enklined
12-12-2007, 06:02 PM

I've finally come back to reality...a bit...

Heres more:

Adam and Justin were on it. Justin is so fun to watch - he just bangs the shit outta that thing like it owes him money - fucking awesome.

Adam...damn does he ever make it look so easy. Its surreal to see him, standing up there, looking out at the crowd, and producing these magnificent and mind opening sounds so effortlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livid star View Post
When they first started this tour, I was less than thrilled with the vocals being so subdued. Honestly, I feel it's a lot better that way. I like hearing the intricities of Adam's playing and FEELING the power of Danny's drumming, coupled with experiencing the fury that is Justin.
I had the same thoughts, bro. At first, I was like...hmmm, whats up with that? I'd like MJK and/or the sound boards guys to turn it up a bit. But after a bit, I decided I liked it better how it was. Its awesome to be able to hear each individual instrument - being able to hone in on Justins bass, or DC and his drums, then come out and take the band as a whole.

Awesome.

More later, I'm sure...

Last edited by enklined; 12-13-2007 at 12:15 PM..
Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I've finally come back to reality...a bit...

Heres more:

Adam and Justin were on it. Justin is so fun to watch - he just bangs the shit outta that thing like it owes him money - fucking awesome.

Adam...damn does he ever make it look so easy. Its surreal to see him, standing up there, looking out at the crowd, and producing these magnificent and mind opening sounds so effortlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livid star View Post
When they first started this tour, I was less than thrilled with the vocals being so subdued. Honestly, I feel it's a lot better that way. I like hearing the intricities of Adam's playing and FEELING the power of Danny's drumming, coupled with experiencing the fury that is Justin.
I had the same thoughts, bro. At first, I was like...hmmm, whats up with that? I'd like MJK and/or the sound boards guys to turn it up a bit. But after a bit, I decided I liked it better how it was. Its awesome to be able to hear each individual instrument - being able to hone in on Justins bass, or DC and his drums, then come out and take the band as a whole.

Awesome.

More later, I'm sure...

Last edited by enklined; 12-13-2007 at 12:15 PM..
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
12-12-2007, 08:41 PM

my 9th or 10th show. sorta lost count. i need to check my ticket stubs. This is my 4th on this tour after Paramount, Coliseum and NYC. AND THIS WAS A GREAT FUCKING SHOW. FLOOD ROCKED MY BALLS!!

the show = 9.99/10

there is nothing that hasn't been said. this was easily the best show on this tour, although i still think the acoustics at Oakland is way better but the band wasn't as tight and the production wasn't as well developed last September. if the show last night was at the Coliseum, it would've been the shit.

Reno was still the best Tool show for me (not the one last year ;-)). can never beat hearing Third Eye with my eye on the Parabola balls floating in the air. pretty amazing. but then again, last night, FLOOD ROCKED MY BALLS!!! LATERALUS BLEW MY MIND. ROSETTA STONED WAS PERFECT!!

now here's a funny story. a couple of weeks ago, i told my friend that i had a premonition that les claypool was going to come out and jam with the band during lateralus. well, turned out tim alexander came out instead of les. i mean that's pretty damn close. ;-)

MJK was definitely in a good mood. he was probably the most sarcastic that I have seen. he did the group hug, and even (1) threw a couple of bottles of water to the crowd, and (2) waved at the audience on the balcony as he walked off the stage. I almost cried when he said "and I mean it from the bottom of my heart."

THANK YOU TOOL!!! You have once again inspired us with the kinda craziness only you can do. And you might have even helped me aced my final this morning!!!! =)

"this ground is not the rock i thought it to BEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" \m/

Last edited by godhenry; 12-12-2007 at 09:07 PM..
Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 PM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

my 9th or 10th show. sorta lost count. i need to check my ticket stubs. This is my 4th on this tour after Paramount, Coliseum and NYC. AND THIS WAS A GREAT FUCKING SHOW. FLOOD ROCKED MY BALLS!!

the show = 9.99/10

there is nothing that hasn't been said. this was easily the best show on this tour, although i still think the acoustics at Oakland is way better but the band wasn't as tight and the production wasn't as well developed last September. if the show last night was at the Coliseum, it would've been the shit.

Reno was still the best Tool show for me (not the one last year ;-)). can never beat hearing Third Eye with my eye on the Parabola balls floating in the air. pretty amazing. but then again, last night, FLOOD ROCKED MY BALLS!!! LATERALUS BLEW MY MIND. ROSETTA STONED WAS PERFECT!!

now here's a funny story. a couple of weeks ago, i told my friend that i had a premonition that les claypool was going to come out and jam with the band during lateralus. well, turned out tim alexander came out instead of les. i mean that's pretty damn close. ;-)

MJK was definitely in a good mood. he was probably the most sarcastic that I have seen. he did the group hug, and even (1) threw a couple of bottles of water to the crowd, and (2) waved at the audience on the balcony as he walked off the stage. I almost cried when he said "and I mean it from the bottom of my heart."

THANK YOU TOOL!!! You have once again inspired us with the kinda craziness only you can do. And you might have even helped me aced my final this morning!!!! =)

"this ground is not the rock i thought it to BEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" \m/

Last edited by godhenry; 12-12-2007 at 09:07 PM..
OFFLINE |  
junior
12-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post

/
Even closer than you think.
Les Claypool was there, and neither he nor Tim knew the other one was going to be there.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #35
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post

/
Les Claypool was there, and neither he nor Tim knew the other one was going to be there.
OFFLINE |  
shaynes250
12-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Last night was my third Tool show and the best I've seen. My first show (Ænima/1998/San Jose, CA) left me with cotton ears for 3 days and though the music was great the environment was just not what I was prepared for. I'm not a mosh pit guy; I want to watch the show, not be part of it. The second show (10,000 Days/2006/Oakland) was awesome and as I drove home I wish I had brought my GF; the colors for the light show alone would have been worth the ticket!

To explain last night would be like trying to explain sex to a virgin, or why secular music is so much more palletable than religious music (except for, Matisyahu's “King Without a Crown”): the experience can not easily be explained in words the make sense to someone who hasn't experienced the real deal.

I brought by GF to this show and feared that her easily triggered startle reflex would make her uncomfortable, or perhaps. Every drum beat, strum of the guitar or screech from feedback could launch her from her wheelchair. My fears were unfounded, and as I should have remembered from when I first met her...never underestimate the capacity of a disabled person. She throughly enjoyed the show for the singing, playing, lights, extended songs and really good seat despite showing up right at the end of opening act Trans Am's set. She'd never been to a “rock” show (she's a country music girl) so I gave her several “hints” about the nature of a show like Tool's: VERY loud, mosh pits, smell of pot in the air, tightly packed people, etc. This was not the case Tuesday night, as sh ewas impressed with the following: Justin was rocking out 80's-hair-band style, Adam's ability to make a speaker stack squeal is amazing, Maynard danced a bit instead of hiding by Danny, and Danny with the hardest job of all was a blur of hands yet kept perfect time with arms flailing and legs pounding! To do what Danny does as easily as he makes it appear is...well you know, 'cause you're on t.d.n. The songs were played loud, hard but not faster than their studio counterparts. Everyone did his part and the audience went wild!

I think this show has opened her eyes to the world of music beyond country. Also, though I have never seen Led Zeppelin live, I state with confidence that Tool is the modern day equivalent of Led Zeppelin.

Notable highlights include: Schism had an extended middle part preceded buy a bit of the song where the tempo was accelerated (possibly doubled), Lateralus had a 3-way drumming exposition/competition/demonstration with Sebastian from Trans Am and Tim Alexander from Primus; an intermission wherein the lighting rigs right above the stage descend and point towards the audience mimicing UFOs. These UFO's provided a distraction while the band took a well deserved break.

I don't envy the life these guys live while touring but their time on stage is something everyone that should experience, regardless of music preference.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Last night was my third Tool show and the best I've seen. My first show (Ænima/1998/San Jose, CA) left me with cotton ears for 3 days and though the music was great the environment was just not what I was prepared for. I'm not a mosh pit guy; I want to watch the show, not be part of it. The second show (10,000 Days/2006/Oakland) was awesome and as I drove home I wish I had brought my GF; the colors for the light show alone would have been worth the ticket!

To explain last night would be like trying to explain sex to a virgin, or why secular music is so much more palletable than religious music (except for, Matisyahu's “King Without a Crown”): the experience can not easily be explained in words the make sense to someone who hasn't experienced the real deal.

I brought by GF to this show and feared that her easily triggered startle reflex would make her uncomfortable, or perhaps. Every drum beat, strum of the guitar or screech from feedback could launch her from her wheelchair. My fears were unfounded, and as I should have remembered from when I first met her...never underestimate the capacity of a disabled person. She throughly enjoyed the show for the singing, playing, lights, extended songs and really good seat despite showing up right at the end of opening act Trans Am's set. She'd never been to a “rock” show (she's a country music girl) so I gave her several “hints” about the nature of a show like Tool's: VERY loud, mosh pits, smell of pot in the air, tightly packed people, etc. This was not the case Tuesday night, as sh ewas impressed with the following: Justin was rocking out 80's-hair-band style, Adam's ability to make a speaker stack squeal is amazing, Maynard danced a bit instead of hiding by Danny, and Danny with the hardest job of all was a blur of hands yet kept perfect time with arms flailing and legs pounding! To do what Danny does as easily as he makes it appear is...well you know, 'cause you're on t.d.n. The songs were played loud, hard but not faster than their studio counterparts. Everyone did his part and the audience went wild!

I think this show has opened her eyes to the world of music beyond country. Also, though I have never seen Led Zeppelin live, I state with confidence that Tool is the modern day equivalent of Led Zeppelin.

Notable highlights include: Schism had an extended middle part preceded buy a bit of the song where the tempo was accelerated (possibly doubled), Lateralus had a 3-way drumming exposition/competition/demonstration with Sebastian from Trans Am and Tim Alexander from Primus; an intermission wherein the lighting rigs right above the stage descend and point towards the audience mimicing UFOs. These UFO's provided a distraction while the band took a well deserved break.

I don't envy the life these guys live while touring but their time on stage is something everyone that should experience, regardless of music preference.
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
12-12-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
that's just so funny!

thank you, junior, for the tidbit. that totally put a smile on my face!!! =)

EDIT: and thank you, junior, for such a great light show. thank you the whole production crew. you guys rock!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
that's just so funny!

thank you, junior, for the tidbit. that totally put a smile on my face!!! =)

EDIT: and thank you, junior, for such a great light show. thank you the whole production crew. you guys rock!!!
12-12-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enklined View Post
Its awesome to be able to hear each individual instrument - being able to hone in on Justins bass, then come out and take the band as a whole.

Awesome.
What are some good bass parts? Towards the end of the show, I felt I wasn't paying enough attention to Justin, and wanted to look for a good bassy part. But I couldn't think of what part of what song I should look for.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enklined View Post
Its awesome to be able to hear each individual instrument - being able to hone in on Justins bass, then come out and take the band as a whole.

Awesome.
What are some good bass parts? Towards the end of the show, I felt I wasn't paying enough attention to Justin, and wanted to look for a good bassy part. But I couldn't think of what part of what song I should look for.
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
12-12-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynes250 View Post

Agree about those highlights.

One thing I miss from the Oakland show in 2006, is that I think nearly all of their equipment was white, during that show. I liked it.

This time, they still had the shiny white stage, but some black equipment too.

I loved being able to see the visuals for this show, compared to the Oakland show.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynes250 View Post

Agree about those highlights.

One thing I miss from the Oakland show in 2006, is that I think nearly all of their equipment was white, during that show. I liked it.

This time, they still had the shiny white stage, but some black equipment too.

I loved being able to see the visuals for this show, compared to the Oakland show.
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
12-12-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
They did extended stinkfist and it was great hearing everyone sing out of place.
I was one of those people at the Oakland show in 2006, lol.

But this time, I expected a jam in Stinkfist, and smiled when others sang out of place. :)
Old 12-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
They did extended stinkfist and it was great hearing everyone sing out of place.
I was one of those people at the Oakland show in 2006, lol.

But this time, I expected a jam in Stinkfist, and smiled when others sang out of place. :)
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply