opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 06-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/08/24 - Calgary, AB - Pengrowth Saddledome

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/24 - Calgary, AB - Pengrowth Saddledome

Here's the setlist, i wrote it in my phone after each song:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus

Encore:
Vicarious
Aenema

Fvcking awesome show! Loved it!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

-SETLIST-

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

What an amazing show, yet again. Tons of energy let loose by my favourite four musical geniuses. Though Maynard messed up the "why ya'll sound like the peanuts parents" bit in Rosetta, but it was kinda funny, think he filled in the last part with "and I fucked up the lyrics"... something to that effect anyways, wasn't clear.

Other Maynardisms that I can sorta remember "I love this place! Not just Calgary in general, but Canada" and his quip about them coming for our oil.
The one that made me laugh the most was after their 5 minute sit down break, Maynard says "OK, what-ever".

Short 'n' sweet.. my brain is mush. It was awesome, that's all I have to offer.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-24-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Second time seeing Tool live. Tomorrow will be my third. Incredible show. Could sit and talk about the songs I wished they'd played but it really doesn't matter, they could have done a pile of New Kids on the Block covers and I am sure it would have ruled. Such a tight band. Without a doubt the best live act I have ever seen. I will not ever miss these guys if they travel through my neck of the woods that is for sure. My only real gripe is toward the bonehead "fans" that feel the need to throw junk on the stage. Can't wait for tomorrow...
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Wow after hearing the end of Right in Two like that ill never think of that song the same again ever. That show blew my fucking mind, first tool show ever and god damm all i can think about is how much i want to go to edmonton so i can see that one too. That was so amazing im at a loss for words. Watching danny whail on his kit those couple times he just went insane just blew my mind in every way, and i was pretty suprised to say the least when he played the bit fron Faiap de opiad. And was it just me or was maynard giving like 120% when they played Ænima there, it was so fucking insane im almost sure his voice was right at the limit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

That was incredible. I was a bit worried about our seats at first. We were on the second level right to the side of the stage. I was worried that the sound would'nt be any good from there but it was stellar. We had a great view of the stage as well. The white stage with the images being projected onto it was amazing.

Second time seeing them here in Calgary and I was just as blown away this time as the last time. Incredible show.

There were seats on the floor too. Lots of them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

That's the best show that I've seen ever, I think. And I went to a lot of concerts in the last year or two:
Pearl Jam
Queens of the Stoneage (twice)
Audioslave
Green Day
NIN
Perfect Circle
System of a Down (twice)

All what I would consider quality bands, but still: Tool was by far my favorite. Hats off to them for still having passion for their music after 16 years or so of off and on touring.

When Danny Carey led the band into a new part of a song, it looked like he meant BUSINESS. He wasn't there to fuck around. When he playfully tapped the gong a couple times during a little jam session prior to lateralus, I had the distinct pleasure of watchig about 10 rows ahead of me slam their fingers into their ears to escape the wrath. Not me, though. When he hit it during lateralus it was like God talking, it was SO loud. Incredible.

Maynard's voice was perfect, obviously. I wasn't sure what to expect, having only heard relatively crappy live recordings. It sounded crystal clear at times, and mechanical or distorted when he wanted it to. During the outro to Vicarious he sang so hard I think his voicebox just about split in half. It looked like they had the most fun with the new songs, and as others have commented, it DOES seem like they are made for a live show. Especially Rosetta Stoned, singing into a loudspeaker strapped onto his back was a very cool idea.

Justin and Adam were also playing very well. I didn't see Justin as much since he was on the far side of the stage, but he looked like he was having fun: gyrating and twisting around and shit. Adam hardly moved around at all, but he played great, so who cares? Sometimes when all three instruments were going full out, it got so loud the notes sorta mushed together, but it didn't happen often enough to make a difference.

Anyways, there was lots of little surprises that made the whole night very memorable to me. Anyone who gets to see them this tour should consider themselves lucky bastards
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-28-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Setlist.. just as everyone above has stated:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys & Rosetta Stoned
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus

Encore:
Vicarious
Aenema

This was my second time seeing Tool. the first time was four years ago, I was fifteen years old and experienced my first moment of total & utter bliss. now, four years later I still felt that exact same feeling of sheer excitement and loss for words. Call me crazy, but you would've thought I was attending a Backstreet Boys concert or something to that effect.

Anyhow. Stinkfist was an amazing choice for an opening song. it got everybody so pumped to hear an old (but absolutely fantastic) song. and Aenema as a closing song just left everybody gaping-mouthed and salivating for more. My favourite moment was 46&2, being probably the closest thing to a favourite Tool song that I can choose. it was so intense and a total shock because I never thought I'd hear it live.

I was also in shock when to my dismay, not only did Maynard pull off the thought-of-to-be-impossible intro to The Pot, but managed to make it sound 100x better than I could've imagined.

The highlights of my evening were: Stinkfist in all it's glory, 46&2, the video during Schism making it look like the characters in the video were walking on stage behind the band, the way Maynard sung "mother mary won't you whisper", red & yellow lights during Lateralus, everyone being rowdy and cheering for an encore while the band sat on the stage, and then Maynard saying "okay, whatever" and continuing with the two final songs, and also the way Maynard just sat on the floor and looked at his watch during guitar/drum solos and then got back up to sing.

All in all, a fabulous concert going experience than I think everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime.

The only downside was that the section I was sitting in was full of those people who looked bored out of their minds the whole time, and complained every time a song from 10,000 Days was played. oh, and my buddy I took with me calling Maynard "Manyard" all night. and looking at me oddly as I belted out every song.

(I know this review is horrible, but I wrote it when I got home from the show and I was still high on bliss and my brain was a bit muddied from the horrific Saddledome beer)
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: