opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/05/13 - Chicago, IL - Auditorium Theatre

SETLIST --

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
2006/05/04 - Chicago, IL- Auditorium Theatre

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SETLIST --

Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right in Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

Balcony 1, Row E, Seats 203, 204
$175 per ticket (I bought two)
$10 for two beers
$25 parking

Amazing show ... no Patient or Pot, but Right in Two!

oh, and Maynard said he was sick like every time he is Chicago.

Last edited by jef_hop; 05-14-2006 at 07:35 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Re: 2006/05/13 - Chicago, IL - Auditorium Theatre

Absolutely fucking amazing show.

I can't type much but wow...

Double time jam out in the middle of schism.

Extended version of Stinkfist

Right in Two!!!! Ohhhhh soooo amazing.

Maynard said he had a cold, he didn't push himself too hard but it was perfect, everything was perfect.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

So he was sick. The show was great! Best I have seen yet
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Good show, but rather depressing that we lost out on the Pot and the Patient. Seen better shows in the past. A few people around me were rather disappointed, but the first timers were very impressed. I did like the screens for the visuals, but the 2002 tour was way better done in background effects. I imagine the fall tour of the States will have a much more elaborate set up.

The show was a lot brighter in the house than a normal show, more like a mainstream concert than a traditional dark tool show. The sound was good, but overly bass heavy due to the acoustics in the place, so it drowned out Maynard's vocals a bit on his low parts. I have to admit, like others have said on other shows, the rosetta stoned is a good opener, and I did like the extended sober.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

anyways, yes amazing show. maynard said he gets sick every time he comes to chicago. the jam outs in schism and stinkfist were awesome too. overall, it was my first live tool experience, and i will be going again when they come around.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #7

I've seen the patient live and I've heard the pot live too.

Right in two was easily worth not hearing both of those songs, especially with the schism jam and the extended stinkfist.

Seriously, I paid $400 for two tickets and would willingly pay more to get what we got tonight.

If you weren't at the show don't comment because you don't know how fucking great they sounded. They played about the same amount of time as the other setlists and they'll play that much time each and every show till the big tour, deal with it or don't go.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
a headstone waiting for words

Bincount™: 6093

Tickets to the show: $212 on ebay
Alex Grey poster: $25
To see Tool play Right in Two: Priceless

The best live show i have ever seen.
The acoustics in the auditorium theatre were absolutely phenomenal.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #9

I'd like to add that every fan around us and within sight was very respectful and was simply there enjoying the show. I was amazed and it was great that everyone was so friendly and seemed to not want to bother others while rockin' out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

I personaly thought the show was great. Everyone is under the weather sometime. Give him a break. I am not pissed at you. I just see you have not compation for people that are ill. Sounds like everything is me me me!!! How old are you twelve?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

my tool experience. would've loved to hear the patient and the pot. but really wanted a new setlist - and got to be with eveyone to hear Right in two first. It was a great show. Loved the extended versions of Schism. I would've paid that much to hear them play one song as good they sounded. the video installation was kick ass - matched up really nice. does anyone thing that some of those images used in the 10,000 days material will be in a future vid? Some of that looked good enough for a Tool video - other than the stuff that kinda looked like the visualizers on the media players. Can't wait till the fall - really want to hear Wings (part 1) & 10,000 days (wings part 2)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

People in the 2nd balcony were awesome. I was in the third row and no one in front of me stood up at all during the show, so we all got to sit and enjoy everything.

I have also never seen as much air drumming by fans as I did tonight.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Well this is my first post here but I've been a fan for a while. Also, I've written reviews of the 2 shows I saw in 2001 on Toolshed. This was my third show, and though it was not the best in my mind, it was still excellent! It was more than enough to satisfy me after almost 5 long years since my last show. The show started late, about 8:30-8:40-ish but the crowd was patient for the most part, and was over by 10:10. During Jambi, it sounded like Adam was having a little trouble with getting the talkbox just right, but it was still sweet to hear it live. Right in Two played live was definitely my favorite off the new album. I'll post more tomorrow, time for bed now, I think I'll sleep in my new Tool shirt... 8-)

BTW, I was the one outside with the "I NEED 1 TOOL TICKET ~Please!!!~" homemade sign if anyone saw me, and thank God I did not end up buying a ticket from those cocksucking scalpers.

Last edited by bozobuttz; 05-14-2006 at 09:23 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 3

Good show overall, but I'm glad I didn't pay over face value. Setlist could have been better, and visuals mostly looked like winamp stuff. I'm sure this is just because it was a warmup and all. I always find it funny when the Stinkfist bit fools everyone.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrygodofjebus
People in the 2nd balcony were awesome. I was in the third row and no one in front of me stood up at all during the show, so we all got to sit and enjoy everything.

Lucky Bastard... I wish I could have sat.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bndalex
my tool experience. would've loved to hear the patient and the pot. but really wanted a new setlist - and got to be with eveyone to hear Right in two first. It was a great show. Loved the extended versions of Schism. I would've paid that much to hear them play one song as good they sounded. the video installation was kick ass - matched up really nice. does anyone thing that some of those images used in the 10,000 days material will be in a future vid? Some of that looked good enough for a Tool video - other than the stuff that kinda looked like the visualizers on the media players. Can't wait till the fall - really want to hear Wings (part 1) & 10,000 days (wings part 2)

I thought the visuals were quite stunning. I enjoyed that most of it was rather abstract, I'm sure some of it will make its way into the videos. :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Long time listener, First time caller. Love you, loved the show.

The best experience I have had in a long time. My previous best was the KICK ASS show they played in Bloomington a couple years back. Got good seats via Ticketmaster on the 22nd. The guy infront of me was plenty short. Rossetta was a really good opener you could tell who actually listened to Tool just watching peoples reactions during that song. Stinkfist was semi extended and done really well. Forty Six & 2 was really intense live Maynards vocals really shown bright in this song. My friend mentioned Adam had a little problem on Jambi with the thing that makes Peter Framptons guitar go "wah...wahwah wah wah wha." Schism had an interesting live intro that I didn't know what song it was gonna be. During the song in the during a fast REALLY fucking loud part the fuzz on the bass and guitar was overwhelming, not in a good way. The begining of Right In Two sorta sounded like Wings, which I really wanted to hear live, so I got super excited. Then I noticed it was Right In Two, which is my favorite song from the album, and thought it was played great live. The Sober intro was kicking along with the energy of 80% of the crowd singing made it a very special experience. Lateralus took down the house, if anyone was sitting down during this they need to get thier head examined. I am gonna continue my spiral riding and I hope the end is far way, because I enjoy keeping on going. Vicarious is great live high energy and still the same great lyrics. Aenima was a great ending song, maybe my favorite song of the night.

My tickets were in the 1st Balcony row I seat 501, shoot me a message if you were near.

Ticket=$66.66
Shirts=3x$35 (one is a birthday gift; the 15th i think, no 18th, 20th?)
Poster=$25 (might I add it is gonna look great right above my bed)
Walking back having some random guy smoke me and my friend up=PRICELESS

Rustifarian
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

My first Tool show and it was one of the greatest concerts I've ever been to. It was perfect besides it being a bit too short. It needed another song or two. I was 4th row in balcony 1 and the view was so sweet. Amazing venue to see them, but I will definitely catch them later again this year for a better (longer) setlist. The "new" part of Schism was so great. 46 & 2 was never one of my favorite songs, but it brought the house down. Right in Two is better live than on the album, a nice way to slow things down. The visuals really enhanced the experience, and I loved the bands' set up (new to me). It's incredible how none of the members are showcased, and that it's about the band and the music as a whole. Thanks Tool. You really are the consummate musicians and the rest of the industry has a lot to learn from you.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito
Go into your Winamp or Windows media player visualizations and load them up. If you enjoyed the Tool viz stuff, you'll have a party with those.

I think people that enjoyed it most were those who were first seeing Tool.
Yea I have lots of visual programs on my computer, nothing compared to what they played. I thought the video during jambi was particularly well done.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #20
Banned.

Bincount™: 70

wtf?? right in two is my favorite track on 10kd. anyways, the extended stinkfist and schism were top notch (no previous set lists mentioned the extended versions; were we the only ones to hear them so far??). also, there was a very cool intro before vicarious. agreed, the bass was muffled during some songs, but was fine during others. couldn't tell maynard was sick even though he announced that he was. the visuals were fine...nothing special, except they showed a mini-preview of the vicarious video...album cover (net of being) morphing and melting. justin is f'n amazing. watched him and danny during most of the show. crowd was VERY cool.. i didn't see any moshing. no loud yelling during quiet parts (i.e. right in two). worth the price of admission (+ $100) to see them in such a personal setting. every show from now on should ONLY be in a theatre with assigned seats so people do not have the opportunity to slam dance, mosh, or generally be assholes.
spirochite out!!

edit: cool crowd...only heard one dude yelling song titles, and he only yelled 'play jerk off' a few times. very suprising. regardless of the band or the venue, usually people yell song titles. upon further reflection, i am even more impressed with my fellow chi-town fans.

Last edited by peripheral; 05-14-2006 at 11:42 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 10:57 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripheral
...anyways, the extended stinkfist and schism were top notch (no previous set lists mentioned the extended versions; were we the only ones to hear them so far??)....
spirochite out!!
The exttended version of stinkfist is what they normally play. But they had just worked the new part of schism out at sound check. So we were the first to hear that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #22
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

All I can say right now is Holy fucking shit!! Great show I'm very proud to have been one of the people to hear "Right In Two" live for the first time ever and will post a more indepth review tomorrow. And the guy that had the homemade sign I saw you and am very glad you got in.
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:22 PM   #23

Security was lame... they tried kicking me out because they said I was smoking (was actually the girl next to me) I said F that.

Besides that, was a great show. Personally would have preferred to hear The Pot but hey, it was kind of a pleasant surprise when they kicked into Right in Two. Always wanted to see them in a small venue like that and it didn't disappoint.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:27 PM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

I was first row balcony, seat 305, and i thought the acoustics were absolutely flawless. I can't believe these people are happy to sit during a Tool show, I was on my feet the whole time. I've been to other Tool shows, including Coachella this year, and this one was my favorite. My view was great, and I couldn't ask for better sound. And just because this one didn't have contortionists or any new video footage from Adam, the show was still an awesome visual display. Does anyone else think they cut out The Pot because of his soar throat? Just a thought.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:44 PM   #25

I figured they probably cut it because of his throat, but to throw in right in two was more than enough to make up for it for me. I'm sure they were just trying to give us only top notch versions of the new songs and figured they would sound better playing Right in two instead. The drum solo in the breakoff part, right after the heavy riff in right in two was amazing.

I was in 1st balcony, seats 403-404, anyone around there? Great view, I love that theater.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-13-2006, 11:54 PM   #26
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprosperone
I figured they probably cut it because of his throat, but to throw in right in two was more than enough to make up for it for me. I'm sure they were just trying to give us only top notch versions of the new songs and figured they would sound better playing Right in two instead. The drum solo in the breakoff part, right after the heavy riff in right in two was amazing.

I was in 1st balcony, seats 403-404, anyone around there? Great view, I love that theater.
I was in section hh seat 301 anyone around there??
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH

Last edited by One Dark Flame; 05-14-2006 at 12:00 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:07 AM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

i didnt know that justin did all those crazy effects. did anyone else notice when he would put his bass up to his stack and use the feedback?? i forgot which song it was in tho...
the only disappointment i have is that i have to wait to see them again!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:24 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

I missed the first 4 songs because on the way to the show, from Indiana, my fucking car caught on fire. I'll re-type for those of you speed reading. My car, while I was driving, started on fire. Such bullshit. I really wanted to hear Rosetta and Jambi to. I was lucky to get there at all I guess. Right In Two was right what I needed when I did finally get there. I liked that the lights were up a little bit for a Tool show. The more light there is, the better I can watch Danny. I'm a drummer myself, and I'll never understand how somebody can hit something as hard as Danny hits his drums. Can't wait till they come around in the fall. Probably have to see a couple of shows to make up for missing half of this one. Time for bed so I can forget all about this rotten day, aside from the fact that I got to spend 45 minutes in the same breathing space as Tool. (P.S. Don't drive Saturns. They fucking suck. Always breaking down, and oh yeah....may, for no apparent reason, burst into flame as you drive it)

goodnight
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:30 AM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

It's so different to see them in a small venue rather than a gigantic arena.. Much more intimate, much more simple... It was a great show- I loved the drum/bass bit they did- I could feel the vibrations from it through my hair! MJK didn't talk too much- mainly to say he was sick- but just enough to make sure we knew he knew we were there (if that makes sense)

It was incredible to hear Right in Two- the crowd seemed really surprised and definitely got into it.

I had an incredible seat. I was in the orchestra section Row D- way off to the right-hand side. Except for being a bit short and not being able to see over the people in front of me (which was mended by a couple of switches- everyone was so friendly to me! Taller people let me switch with them so I could see.. it was very nice!) the show was amazing. Yes, I've seen better, but I'm still so stoked that I was able to see them in a small venue.

I love people-watching at Tool shows. Fans range from average 20-somethings in jeans and simple tee-shirts to fully-decked-out goths to hippies to grandparents- and then some. From the entrance and again from my seat, I took a moment to look around at the diversity of the people in attendance and was so pleased to see everyone, despite their apparent differences, rock out once the show started. So many different styles, ages and backgrounds meshed together for one purpose- I was very pleased. In this respect (many respects, of course, but this one in particular) Tool concerts are so much different-and better- than, say, Korn shows. In looking around, you don't see a bunch of clones walking about- people wear colour!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 01:16 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, I've seen Tool 5 times now and this one was good, but could have been better. Not much fault of the band, though.

The only seats I was able to get were obstructed view. Very last row of the first balcony (which you'd think isn't that high up, but it was FIVE FREAKING FLOORS UP). We were so far back the band looked tiny as it was... then we had a pillar in the middle of our view... and because we were tucked so far back under the second balcony, the acoustics were completely terrible. The vocals were unintelligible much of the time, even when Maynard was talking between songs.

On the plus side, we got to hear Right in Two.

On the minus side, missing out on The Patient and The Pot was really disappointing. Our set was definitely shorter than the going rate of 1:45 I've been reading about. More like 1:30 or so.

On the REALLY minus side, I had a burger with my friend before the show and it ended up not settling well with me at all to the point of feeling sick to my stomach.. so I missed Stinkfist entirely to be in the bathroom.. that sucked verily.

Lateralus was absolutely phenomenal, and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it here. For me, it was one of the highlights of the night, if not the highlight.

I did have fun, but the seating situation was far less than ideal, so I'm walking away from this one a little bittersweet.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:17 AM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrygodofjebus

everyone in orchestra around me was on their feet 24/7...insanity down there (too bad i wasn't close enough to grab a stick...)

fantastic concert, very impressed (it was my first time). if you people say that this is disappointing...well...i can't fucking wait until they come around again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:54 AM   #32
emf
Level 4 - Thinker

Amazing show, was midway up 1st bal. row o on adam's side, missed the patient but loved right in 2. I was the dude wearing a fedora.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 04:20 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Dirty stup got me onto the orch and low and behold lady in front of me caught a skin. GREAT catch maam. Had the purple star and a sig so was way cool. Lat. is a moneymaker for them, an instant crowdpleaser...and thus why they work it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 05:08 AM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

sounds like chicago jammed pretty good, its nice to read positive feedback, i was in minneapolis show on friday, it was amazing, i woke up to read the review to our show to only read a bunch of fricking whiners, bitch, bitch, bitch, lateralus and vicarious were fricking amazing. sounds like the same in chitown.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 05:21 AM   #35
Level 2 - Poster

This had to have been about my eigth time seeing tool, including Coachella a few weeks ago. My girl dances for a dance company that calls the Auditorium Theater home, so I was uncomparably HOOKED UP for this show. For starters, -5 days before the show I bought a ticket in row T of the Balcony for $150 (thanks Larry) as I failed to get a ticket from ticketmaster. Then at -3 days my girl and I decided to talk to our friends on the staff of the auditorium who we talk to all the time after her shows. Well, without getting too specific, I was able to buy 2 tickets at face value in row D, not twenty feet from Justin.

I was smashed against the stage and drenched in other peoples sweat in the same spot at Coachella, so it was nice to be comfortable this time. As far as venue experiences goes, this was hands down the best facility I've seen any show at (and my 29 year old ass has seen a LOT of shows). This includes the behavior of the crowd, the cleanliness of the venue, and the overall attitude of the staff. Another employed friend at the theater also let us enter on the side door to avoid the long lines of the main entrance. Yet another great hook up.

The band sounded great, though not as good as Coachella in my opinion. Hard to compare indoors and outdoors though. Maynard was definintely sick as he stated numerous times, but still sang surprisingly well. You could hear at some harder spots (Vicarious screaming "so it's always been" and the outro) he struggled and did not push his voice but then through 99% of the show you absolutely could not tell. The band sounded super clean at both shows. The best part of the show was "Right In Two" being played live for the first time. I'm very happy they made the switch as I already heard "The Pot" at Coachella, and "The Patient" many other times. The double time bridge in Schism was a tasty little treat. Earlier that day at 2:30 we went backstage where my girl's dressing rooms are and this is when we "introduced" ourselves to the Tool security backstage. According to my friends at the auditorium, when we visited backstage at sound check around 4:00, the band let NOBODY in the theater, not even the auditorium staff. But I was able to sneak a peak from the stage right entrance on to the stage right before sound check. So despite tool security and auditorium security we had already got great access.
Anyways, the rest of the show was great as usual with this band. The visuals were somewhat repeated but keep something in mind. This band does almost EVERTHING themselves. If you want to see some fake elaborate theatrics put on by some hired generic prop company then go see Madonna or Shakira this summer.

Well the show ended on a high note with Maynard suggesting that Montana? or Chicago? was a good safe place to live before breaking into Aenema, where L. Ron Hubbard was switched out for Rupert Murdock just like at Coachella.He mostly thanked the crowd for the success of the album and apologized for his sore throat. The band exits with their usual goodbyes, and I see Maynard grab his black hooded sweatshirt and they leave stage right. After the show, my girl and I decided to pay one last visit to our auditorium friends backstage. We walked right past about ten fans that could not get past tool security, we dropped our friends name and he let us go right in. I was shocked. Here I am standing backstage at tool with no pass, shooting the shit with auditorium security. Unbelievable. Since I am right by the exit door, nothing exciting happens for the first fifteen minutes. Random nobodies walking by. Then I look down the hall towards stage right, and there is Adam standing there with a beer talking to his friends. "Unbelievable", I said to myself. He ended up standing there for like ten minutes just chatting about the show. My friend then hands me a guest sticker and the photos of the band that the auditoruim theater uses to ID the band. Then, I see someone emerge in a black hooded sweatshirt with two bottles of wine under his arms. He was being escorted out quietly and quickly. The small figure under the hood walks right by me, looks me in the eye, nods, and walks out the door into the alley. I clearly identified that shaved headed man in the black sweatshirt as Maynard James Keenan. I quietly collected myself, we said our goodbyes, and I walked away completely blown away, saying "this is surreal, please believe me, please believe what I just said"
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 05:33 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

One other thing I forgot to mention last night, anyone checkout how they lit up both sides of the theater walls close to the end of the show of display the great geometry on the walls (I thought that was a cool touch)? Great show. I was in orchestra row P seat 30# (Thanks to the greed of Gold Coast Tickets and $380). Perfect center. They really need to work on the way tickets are sold. :(

They also are selling that huge TOOL 10,000 Days poster at the show for $25.00. Not sure if everyone knew that that had not seen a show yet. So tell the guy on eBay trying to sell one for $400.00 to piss off.

Can't wait until the fall!!!

To the guy with the car on fire. Glad you made it!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 06:03 AM   #37
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

So as some of you may know, I was able to manage two free tickets to this show, but we had no idea where they were. When we get there we come to find that our free tickets not only include a guest pass (which I didn't really do anything about, I've gotten a few of these but never really feel like sitting around trying to meet the band) but that our free seats are in fucking ORCHESTRA ROW B! We were no further than 20 feet from the stage, right in front of Justin.

I was stunned when I saw that. The last time I was Tool in Chicago (when Maynard was also sick - during Lateralus), I had shit seats way up high and I could barely see the band. This time around I am standing right in front of them. It more than made up for that last experience.

And yeah, no Pot or Patient but "Right in Two" is my girlfriend's favorite track off of 10,000 Days and she got so excited when they started playing it - which was great. I was excited to hear the Pot live but I have to say, I am much happier they went with Right in Two. If I'm not mistaken, that's the first time they've played it live, right?

Personally, I prefered this smaller setup to the giant Alex Grey backdrops from Lateralus. It felt much more intense.

In summary - this show fucking rocked. So hard. Goddamn it was good.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 06:37 AM   #38
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 567

I have a miracle story. Like many people I was on ticketmaster at 10:00 and failed to get tickets for the show in dallas texas, I live about 2 hours from dallas. So when that show came and went I was reading the reviews and someone was complaining about people showing up and buying tickets at will call for face value. Me and my wife had plans to go to milwaukee to see her mother for mothersday so we decided to come up early and drive down to chicago and try and get tickets. We got there 2 hours early and were waiting in the will call line and the security guard said oh you want to buy tickets well go get in the "miracle" line. So we went and waited and they started selling some tickets. When it got to us the guy came out and said there were five tickets left one for the guy in front of us two for us and two for the guy behind us. We paid $66.66 for each ticket and to my total and I mean total amazement the tickets were on the left side by
Adam row c. I could see the white of Maynards teeth. This was the most lucky experience of my life. I've seen Tool twice before but not like this it was almost like being in their jam space with no big production just us and the band. It was a phenomenal performance they sounded so good and I feel special knowing we were the first ones to hear Right in Two live.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:39 AM   #39
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprosperone

That's weird considering my seat WAS seat 404, in balcony 1. Were you the guy to the left of me that said it was your tenth Tool concert?

Anyways, the show was pretty much amazing, being my first Tool concert. I was extremely surprised by how effortless TOOL looked while playing their instruments.

I expected Danny to be flailing away, sweat flying off of him, making all kinds of intense facial expressions, but he was so smooth and relaxed. It didn't even look like he was trying, even during the hardest parts. The guy is inhuman.

The same goes for the rest of the band. They made the music look almost simple while playing it. Adam just stood there in the same spot and just played the whole time, hardly moving at all. I was kind of shocked at how easy they made this complex music look.

Lateralus was the highlight of the night for me. I nearly broke out into tears it was so amazing and beautiful. Aenema was a great closer as well...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-14-2006, 06:46 AM   #40
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatyturtle19
I expected Danny to be flailing away, sweat flying off of him, making all kinds of intense facial expressions, but he was so smooth and relaxed. It didn't even look like he was trying, even during the hardest parts. The guy is inhuman.
Well from where I was sitting, I was checking Danny's expressions and lemme tell you - he was definitely giving it his all. During the little breaks he was very much dripping with sweat.

Adam Jones seems to have taken a few pages out of the performance book of Fripp by having damn near no expression on his face the whole show - the rest of them appeared very happy, though.

Maynard was a silly bastard, though. When he came out shirtless, with the toussled mohawk, jeans, and cowboy boots with the megaphone strapped on - I cracked up. Fantastic stuff.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: