Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
lachrymotion's Avatar lachrymotion
07-26-2006, 10:10 PM

that sounded great

I bet that hurt your throat. You seem to have such a nice clean voice....I could feel your pain a few times. Try smoking a pack of Camels and grunging it up!

Time is impossible to keep on that track, and you did it beautifully. Kudos man
Old 07-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: My cover of "The Grudge"

that sounded great

I bet that hurt your throat. You seem to have such a nice clean voice....I could feel your pain a few times. Try smoking a pack of Camels and grunging it up!

Time is impossible to keep on that track, and you did it beautifully. Kudos man
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
07-26-2006, 10:42 PM

nice, good job all around fo sho

post something off aenema
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 07-26-2006, 10:42 PM   #42
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

nice, good job all around fo sho

post something off aenema
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
SterileEyes
10-20-2007, 10:56 AM

I haven't been on here in like a year but I was buying tickets for the Nokia show and thought I'd check out these old threads. Thanks for all the replies, I had no idea Tool fans would be open to something like this - totally made the effort worth it!

CLICK THAT LINK TO HEAR MY COVER OF "THE GRUDGE"!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I haven't been on here in like a year but I was buying tickets for the Nokia show and thought I'd check out these old threads. Thanks for all the replies, I had no idea Tool fans would be open to something like this - totally made the effort worth it!

Jungmamr's Avatar Jungmamr
10-20-2007, 03:08 PM

very well done. i enjoyed it a lot.

what kind of effects and techniques were you using to record your vocals? i like the tone/effect you got going on here. are you doing any type of mixing/panning?
Old 10-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #44
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

what kind of effects and techniques were you using to record your vocals? i like the tone/effect you got going on here. are you doing any type of mixing/panning?
setvak's Avatar setvak
10-21-2007, 04:32 PM

Nice job. Just out of curiosity, have you taken any kind of singing lessons, or did you just basically develop your own style? I'm just asking because I've been doing something similar (recording songs by myself) for a while, just without any vocals, and altogether don't feel too confident about singing.
"I went to the park and saw a kid flying a kite. The kid was really excited. I don't know why, that's what they're supposed to do. Now if he had a chair on the other end of that string, I would have been impressed."
--Mitch Hedberg

"The reason our institutions, our traditional religions, are crumbling is because they're no longer relevant."
-- Bill Hicks
Old 10-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #45
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Nice job. Just out of curiosity, have you taken any kind of singing lessons, or did you just basically develop your own style? I'm just asking because I've been doing something similar (recording songs by myself) for a while, just without any vocals, and altogether don't feel too confident about singing.
"I went to the park and saw a kid flying a kite. The kid was really excited. I don't know why, that's what they're supposed to do. Now if he had a chair on the other end of that string, I would have been impressed."
--Mitch Hedberg

"The reason our institutions, our traditional religions, are crumbling is because they're no longer relevant."
-- Bill Hicks
Elgyn's Avatar Elgyn
10-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Very nice job dude, sounds good.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #46
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318

Very nice job dude, sounds good.
10-22-2007, 05:52 PM

Awesome cover of The Grudge. I'm currently working on doing my own version of Prison Sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrymotion View Post
lol!

Last edited by Esurient4Truth; 10-22-2007 at 05:55 PM..
Old 10-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #47
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

Awesome cover of The Grudge. I'm currently working on doing my own version of Prison Sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrymotion View Post
lol!

Last edited by Esurient4Truth; 10-22-2007 at 05:55 PM..
jaw knee's Avatar jaw knee
10-24-2007, 05:52 AM

thought it was pretty good. i think the vocals were the furthest off out of everything. theres an effect on there, sounds like chorus and a little reverb, that is throwing me off. did you try to use an auto tuner on the vocals?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 AM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

thought it was pretty good. i think the vocals were the furthest off out of everything. theres an effect on there, sounds like chorus and a little reverb, that is throwing me off. did you try to use an auto tuner on the vocals?
10-24-2007, 05:00 PM

Thanks for all the opinions and compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmamr View Post

Part of what makes recording these covers so fun (and challenging) for me is I intentionally keep the production as raw as possible - drums were one take with four mics directly into the P.A. and the guitars were done with a mic on my Marshall into the P.A. There's no post production, computers/pro tools, pre-programmed mix down or anything. No panning on this one...maybe slightly with the beer keg bashing at the end (the "Let Go" chant). The GN'R cover I posted has some vocal panning I think.

I mix as I record (the levels are adjusted and final before I do the takes), any mixing touch ups are done live as I do the final playback from the recorder to the CD burner. I had to memorize where various parts had to be turned up/down/etc. and twist the knobs as it played back. If I missed one little thing I had to start playback over again...took a few tries!

As far as vocal effects, I used some distortion on a few key parts - "Wear the grudge like a crown" (the low voice), the "lifts you up like a child" echo part, and the "let go" chant. There's a chorus on during the first verse and some reverb throughout most of it. The scream at the end is totally raw, took 8 tries to get it recorded well...it hurt and I wouldn't recommend trying it to anybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by setvak View Post
I own a few books but singing came from years of practice in the car. I've played the other instruments for 12 or 13 years but I never had confidence (or range) in my voice until 2 or 3 years ago. I don't know how I got the range, I never used to be able to hit a high A without my voice cracking, now I'm a tenor. Part of the reason I recorded the covers is because I never really recorded vocals before so I figured it'd be good practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw knee View Post
I agree the vocals are the furthest off - there is only one Maynard and I have no clue what kinds of effects he's using, I probably sound more like Don Henley than Maynard. I just sang it like I would at the time I guess.

I would never ever use auto tune! What you might be hearing is I lightly doubled a few parts ("Saturn comes back around", "Give away the stone", etc.)

Auto tune = satan.

Thanks again everybody!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 10-24-2007 at 05:40 PM..
Old 10-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

Thanks for all the opinions and compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmamr View Post

Part of what makes recording these covers so fun (and challenging) for me is I intentionally keep the production as raw as possible - drums were one take with four mics directly into the P.A. and the guitars were done with a mic on my Marshall into the P.A. There's no post production, computers/pro tools, pre-programmed mix down or anything. No panning on this one...maybe slightly with the beer keg bashing at the end (the "Let Go" chant). The GN'R cover I posted has some vocal panning I think.

I mix as I record (the levels are adjusted and final before I do the takes), any mixing touch ups are done live as I do the final playback from the recorder to the CD burner. I had to memorize where various parts had to be turned up/down/etc. and twist the knobs as it played back. If I missed one little thing I had to start playback over again...took a few tries!

As far as vocal effects, I used some distortion on a few key parts - "Wear the grudge like a crown" (the low voice), the "lifts you up like a child" echo part, and the "let go" chant. There's a chorus on during the first verse and some reverb throughout most of it. The scream at the end is totally raw, took 8 tries to get it recorded well...it hurt and I wouldn't recommend trying it to anybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by setvak View Post
I own a few books but singing came from years of practice in the car. I've played the other instruments for 12 or 13 years but I never had confidence (or range) in my voice until 2 or 3 years ago. I don't know how I got the range, I never used to be able to hit a high A without my voice cracking, now I'm a tenor. Part of the reason I recorded the covers is because I never really recorded vocals before so I figured it'd be good practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw knee View Post
I agree the vocals are the furthest off - there is only one Maynard and I have no clue what kinds of effects he's using, I probably sound more like Don Henley than Maynard. I just sang it like I would at the time I guess.

I would never ever use auto tune! What you might be hearing is I lightly doubled a few parts ("Saturn comes back around", "Give away the stone", etc.)

Auto tune = satan.

Thanks again everybody!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 10-24-2007 at 05:40 PM..
cliche101's Avatar cliche101
11-02-2007, 03:32 AM

cool, nice work
Old 11-02-2007, 03:32 AM   #50
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 209

cool, nice work
revolve
11-02-2007, 04:44 PM

God damn it must be fun as hell playing and performing a song like that, and getting praise for it...Nice Fucking Work, congrats. Lets here some original stuff!
Old 11-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

God damn it must be fun as hell playing and performing a song like that, and getting praise for it...Nice Fucking Work, congrats. Lets here some original stuff!
11-30-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolve View Post
I hope to have some done in the next few months...I've had so much to do with work and school that I've got up to my studio maybe an hour a week for the last year so all I have recorded are a couple finished songs and like 20 instrumental clips that I'm working on building into songs.

I'll be sure to post them if/when I finish some though!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolve View Post
I hope to have some done in the next few months...I've had so much to do with work and school that I've got up to my studio maybe an hour a week for the last year so all I have recorded are a couple finished songs and like 20 instrumental clips that I'm working on building into songs.

I'll be sure to post them if/when I finish some though!

vecima's Avatar vecima
12-21-2007, 03:05 PM

awesome. way to rock it out, without letting not sounding exactly like 'nardo vocally stop you.

i'd be way to nervous on that part of it.

Hydrophobe -bassist / guitarist
Old 12-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

awesome. way to rock it out, without letting not sounding exactly like 'nardo vocally stop you.

i'd be way to nervous on that part of it.

Hydrophobe -bassist / guitarist
©ûÞ
01-17-2008, 09:43 PM

I love your valiant effort on the scream. It was the second best Tool cover I've heard. Ever.

Rexway's cover of Hooker With a Penis takes the cake.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #54
Banned.

I love your valiant effort on the scream. It was the second best Tool cover I've heard. Ever.

Rexway's cover of Hooker With a Penis takes the cake.
Nine
01-20-2008, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolloot View Post
I like how it doesn't sound exactly the same as Tool.

Edit. Your drummer isn't limited by the size of his drums but by his abilities. He's still really good, though.
ditto check out a drummer by the name of eric slick, he replaced dany for adrian belew's one project when danny went back on tour and also plays with a band caled project object who are the number one zappa tribute band in the world. he had such a tiny set yet was pulling off shit just like terry bozzio on his diety of a drumset, anyhow man i like what you did with this, you took it and didnt mimic it but rebuilt it in a new form. keep goin.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:58 AM   #55
Banned.

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolloot View Post
I like how it doesn't sound exactly the same as Tool.

Edit. Your drummer isn't limited by the size of his drums but by his abilities. He's still really good, though.
ditto check out a drummer by the name of eric slick, he replaced dany for adrian belew's one project when danny went back on tour and also plays with a band caled project object who are the number one zappa tribute band in the world. he had such a tiny set yet was pulling off shit just like terry bozzio on his diety of a drumset, anyhow man i like what you did with this, you took it and didnt mimic it but rebuilt it in a new form. keep goin.
/Parallelus/Reflectionis/'s Avatar /Parallelus/Reflectionis/
01-30-2008, 12:18 PM

Man, you really are talented ! Plus your drumming is incredible for a 5 piece. Keep up, I loved it.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #56
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 34

Man, you really are talented ! Plus your drumming is incredible for a 5 piece. Keep up, I loved it.
02-02-2008, 02:39 PM

That was really well done. I enjoyed it a lot. Keep it up and good luck with your music.

-------------------------------------
www.ShowMeTheSetlist.com
Old 02-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

That was really well done. I enjoyed it a lot. Keep it up and good luck with your music.

-------------------------------------
www.ShowMeTheSetlist.com

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply