Ticks & Leeches
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs.

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-29-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
01.29.2012 - Camden, NJ @ Susquehanna Bank Centre

*****DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU WERE AT THE SHOW*****

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Ticks & Leeches
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs.

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-29-2012 at 08:04 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Dunnjust
01-29-2012, 08:40 PM

Awesome show as usual. 12th show since 2001 and they still rock your face off!!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.29.2012 - Camden, NJ @ Susquehanna Bank Centre

Awesome show as usual. 12th show since 2001 and they still rock your face off!!
PArealtor
01-29-2012, 08:53 PM

Amazing show. My 18th going back to 1993. Picked up my 1 ticket today 6 hours before show time. If you're patient they release seats like always. Wish they played 1 or 2 more songs. Started right at 9pm and didn't stop until about 10:40. Honestly could have done without Intension but I appreciate the effort. Susquehanna Bank Centre is one of the worst places to see a show. Low ceilings, its awful and I was section 102 Row N which was pretty darn close. Only positive was security was everywhere and they didn't allow any cell phones at all. Which is great since there is nothing worse than some jack ass wanna be photographer with his crappy iPhone shining in your eyes the whole night while you're trying to take in the amazing sights and sounds

Would have liked to hear Third Eye or Flood or even Undertow would have been cool.

Last edited by PArealtor; 01-29-2012 at 08:59 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Amazing show. My 18th going back to 1993. Picked up my 1 ticket today 6 hours before show time. If you're patient they release seats like always. Wish they played 1 or 2 more songs. Started right at 9pm and didn't stop until about 10:40. Honestly could have done without Intension but I appreciate the effort. Susquehanna Bank Centre is one of the worst places to see a show. Low ceilings, its awful and I was section 102 Row N which was pretty darn close. Only positive was security was everywhere and they didn't allow any cell phones at all. Which is great since there is nothing worse than some jack ass wanna be photographer with his crappy iPhone shining in your eyes the whole night while you're trying to take in the amazing sights and sounds

Would have liked to hear Third Eye or Flood or even Undertow would have been cool.

Last edited by PArealtor; 01-29-2012 at 08:59 PM..
stinky
01-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Show was brilliant. Only the 4th time I've seen them but this was the second time in this venue. We had a friend leave tix at will call and they turned out to be row 2 in the right pit with drink tickets to boot. Anyway 46&2 was as good as I've ever heard it. Lateralus was great as always and Ticks and Leeches was a treat even if I knew they were going to play it. The show was short but sweet. The lasers were not as good as I remeber them lat time in this same venue but then again I was way off to the side and up front. The performance more than made up for that.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Show was brilliant. Only the 4th time I've seen them but this was the second time in this venue. We had a friend leave tix at will call and they turned out to be row 2 in the right pit with drink tickets to boot. Anyway 46&2 was as good as I've ever heard it. Lateralus was great as always and Ticks and Leeches was a treat even if I knew they were going to play it. The show was short but sweet. The lasers were not as good as I remeber them lat time in this same venue but then again I was way off to the side and up front. The performance more than made up for that.
Emericana's Avatar Emericana
01-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Fantastic. I didnt check a single set list until this tour so I had no idea what to expect.

Lets just say that I was pleasently surprised :-D

Went bat shit crazy when they opened with hooker with a penis. even crazier when ticks and leeches came on....

out of the nine shows i have seen this one was right up there. exhausted and have a biochem exam in the morning. will write more tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Fantastic. I didnt check a single set list until this tour so I had no idea what to expect.

Lets just say that I was pleasently surprised :-D

Went bat shit crazy when they opened with hooker with a penis. even crazier when ticks and leeches came on....

out of the nine shows i have seen this one was right up there. exhausted and have a biochem exam in the morning. will write more tomorrow.
BigBaze
01-29-2012, 10:01 PM

I won't waste time posting songlist, the posters before covered it. The concert was unbelievable, the last time I saw them was in Birmingham in 2008, which was better because they played more songs and it was outside, but I was happy to be inside because of the cold here in NJ. The security at the Susquehanna Bank Center were dicks the entire time, all you had to do was appear like you were pulling out your phone and they were shining a flashlight in your face and threatening to eject you. I couldn't care less about taking pictures it was just annoying. Other than the crappy venue ( Birmingham 2008 was AWESOME) the sound was really good, as was the show, I just wish they had played more songs, I wanted to hear Vicarious and Sober, but overall the songlist was amazing:)
Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

I won't waste time posting songlist, the posters before covered it. The concert was unbelievable, the last time I saw them was in Birmingham in 2008, which was better because they played more songs and it was outside, but I was happy to be inside because of the cold here in NJ. The security at the Susquehanna Bank Center were dicks the entire time, all you had to do was appear like you were pulling out your phone and they were shining a flashlight in your face and threatening to eject you. I couldn't care less about taking pictures it was just annoying. Other than the crappy venue ( Birmingham 2008 was AWESOME) the sound was really good, as was the show, I just wish they had played more songs, I wanted to hear Vicarious and Sober, but overall the songlist was amazing:)
EndEyeQuote's Avatar EndEyeQuote
01-29-2012, 11:59 PM

I'd like to clarify some things about the set because I don't think people realize from these reviews that they are getting a lot more than a 10 song set.

to recap with notes:

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Ticks & Leeches

Pushit (at the beginning of pushit they played the first few notes of no quarter. this was the ænima version but halfway through they had an interlude of the live version and then went back to the ænima version)

Something new! (i can't believe people aren't pointing this out, it was a few minute instrumental that served as an intro to Schism)

Schism (live version with heavy jam in the middle)

Another new short instrumental intro for Intension this time.

Intension
Forty Six & 2

(maynard wishes us a merry Christmas)

Lateralus (with extended drum solo)

Something amazing and new and the best part of the show. A long 10 minute or so instrumental. Reminded me of a more mellow Merkaba. Best visuals during the show during this as well.

Maynard makes fun if Camden, NJ here saying this is actually their Philly show and that Philly is better. This got a huge round of applause and a few scattered boos. Then he said "hello cleveland!".

Ænema (changed up a bit)

---

again I can't believe people aren't talking about all these extra surprises. have they been doing this at all the shows? I'm going to the next two as well so i guess I'll see.

and a brief review:

this was my 13th TOOL show.

first the visuals: much better by far than 10,000 days. no longer is there that screensaver feel. still no where near what they did on the lateralus tour but still fucking awesome. starting with intension and through the rest of the set were some the best, especially during lateralus and the long instrumental before ænema. overall it was a mix between visuals from the lateralus tour, the 10,000 days tour, and I even spied some old ænema tour visuals. all heavily fucked with changed up and mixed with a lot of new shit. some images from the stinkfist and schism videos while they played those, but also heavily messed with. and the lasers, I have to disagree with what someone above said. they took them to a whole new level. definitely cooler this time around, more unique and not just like a typical laser show anymore. pretty mind blowing.

as far as TOOL themselves they were a bit sloppy here and there and maynards vocals were a little low, but over all pretty damn sick. nite all! until the next episode.
11.19.'96 nyc • 5.20.'01 nyc • 9.24.'01 willkes-barre, pa • 10.1.'01 nyc • 10.2.'01 nyc • 8.13.'02 nyc • 8.15.'02 east rutherford, nj • 10.31.'02 long island • 5.19.'06 nyc • 5.20.'06 nyc • 10.7.'06 long island • 8.1.'09 liberty island • 1.29'12 camden, nj • 1.31.'12 mohegan sun, ct • 2.1.'12 east rutherford, nj • 11.18.'19 philly, pa • 11.19.'19 brooklyn, ny

pull the wool over your own eyes...

[eeq]
Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Level 666 - Cenobite (tdn $supporter)

Bincount™: 20

I'd like to clarify some things about the set because I don't think people realize from these reviews that they are getting a lot more than a 10 song set.

to recap with notes:

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Ticks & Leeches

Pushit (at the beginning of pushit they played the first few notes of no quarter. this was the ænima version but halfway through they had an interlude of the live version and then went back to the ænima version)

Something new! (i can't believe people aren't pointing this out, it was a few minute instrumental that served as an intro to Schism)

Intension
Forty Six & 2

Something amazing and new and the best part of the show. A long 10 minute or so instrumental. Reminded me of a more mellow Merkaba. Best visuals during the show during this as well.

Maynard makes fun if Camden, NJ here saying this is actually their Philly show and that Philly is better. This got a huge round of applause and a few scattered boos. Then he said "hello cleveland!".

Ænema (changed up a bit)

---

again I can't believe people aren't talking about all these extra surprises. have they been doing this at all the shows? I'm going to the next two as well so i guess I'll see.

and a brief review:

first the visuals: much better by far than 10,000 days. no longer is there that screensaver feel. still no where near what they did on the lateralus tour but still fucking awesome. starting with intension and through the rest of the set were some the best, especially during lateralus and the long instrumental before ænema. overall it was a mix between visuals from the lateralus tour, the 10,000 days tour, and I even spied some old ænema tour visuals. all heavily fucked with changed up and mixed with a lot of new shit. some images from the stinkfist and schism videos while they played those, but also heavily messed with. and the lasers, I have to disagree with what someone above said. they took them to a whole new level. definitely cooler this time around, more unique and not just like a typical laser show anymore. pretty mind blowing.

as far as TOOL themselves they were a bit sloppy here and there and maynards vocals were a little low, but over all pretty damn sick. nite all! until the next episode.
11.19.'96 nyc • 5.20.'01 nyc • 9.24.'01 willkes-barre, pa • 10.1.'01 nyc • 10.2.'01 nyc • 8.13.'02 nyc • 8.15.'02 east rutherford, nj • 10.31.'02 long island • 5.19.'06 nyc • 5.20.'06 nyc • 10.7.'06 long island • 8.1.'09 liberty island • 1.29'12 camden, nj • 1.31.'12 mohegan sun, ct • 2.1.'12 east rutherford, nj • 11.18.'19 philly, pa • 11.19.'19 brooklyn, ny

pull the wool over your own eyes...

[eeq]
mindlattice's Avatar mindlattice
01-30-2012, 05:45 AM

The band was on fire tonight.... To be honest, one of the best shows I have seen in the 10K Days era. And I have seen shows on both coasts...... HWAP-Ticks-Pushit....amazing.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

The band was on fire tonight.... To be honest, one of the best shows I have seen in the 10K Days era. And I have seen shows on both coasts...... HWAP-Ticks-Pushit....amazing.
profane's Avatar profane
01-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Great show! This was my 7th show starting back during the Lateralus tour, and this one was definitely up in the ranks, especially due to the amazing 10 minute long intermission/instrumental before Aenima closed. As the above poster noted, the lasers were taken to a whole other level. They no longer looked like regular lasers, but almost as if you were staring down the barrel of several UFOs ready to suck you up into a beam and do all sorts of horrible testing to you. ;) Totally incredible. I managed to record some video of this particular session, albeit only about two minutes before I was scolded by security. I'll be uploading that to YT, I'll link back here if people want to get a taste.

Lateralus was the ultimate song for me, incredible as usual. It was nice to see HWAP and Ticks, although the voice distortion equipment Maynard is using gets a little annoying at times.

Pushit was great as always. Not a complain from me aside from the venue not being the greatest and my seats weren't exceptional. Tower Theater in Philly was a GREAT venue when I saw them several years back for the 10K days tour. But hey, a Tool show is always top notch, regardless of the venue.

Spiral out!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show! This was my 7th show starting back during the Lateralus tour, and this one was definitely up in the ranks, especially due to the amazing 10 minute long intermission/instrumental before Aenima closed. As the above poster noted, the lasers were taken to a whole other level. They no longer looked like regular lasers, but almost as if you were staring down the barrel of several UFOs ready to suck you up into a beam and do all sorts of horrible testing to you. ;) Totally incredible. I managed to record some video of this particular session, albeit only about two minutes before I was scolded by security. I'll be uploading that to YT, I'll link back here if people want to get a taste.

Lateralus was the ultimate song for me, incredible as usual. It was nice to see HWAP and Ticks, although the voice distortion equipment Maynard is using gets a little annoying at times.

Pushit was great as always. Not a complain from me aside from the venue not being the greatest and my seats weren't exceptional. Tower Theater in Philly was a GREAT venue when I saw them several years back for the 10K days tour. But hey, a Tool show is always top notch, regardless of the venue.

Spiral out!
Third I
01-30-2012, 08:07 AM

Agree with most of the above info, especially with EEQ on the new/extra stuff no one else seems to mentioning.

HWAP was amusing with the house lights appropriately blasting the crowd on "All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb fuck." and again with "I sold my soul to make a record, Dip shit, And you bought one". I like it when the band points out the absurdity of all the adoration and fucks with us a bit. Knowing the show was over before most I bolted as soon as they finished Ænema and as the house lights came on I couldn't help noticing more than a few female fans in tears as the show ended. It's awesome that people are so moved by these guys and their songs but is is also a bit absurd.

Having just turned 50, I really appreciated Maynard effing a bit with Danny just before his biggest solo of the show by calling him "Grandpa".

I've seen them many, many times now and I think I like the small venues less. For me, their sound and visuals are just too big for a place like Camden.

I'll test this theory on Wednesday in ER.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Agree with most of the above info, especially with EEQ on the new/extra stuff no one else seems to mentioning.

HWAP was amusing with the house lights appropriately blasting the crowd on "All you know about me is what I've sold you, Dumb fuck." and again with "I sold my soul to make a record, Dip shit, And you bought one". I like it when the band points out the absurdity of all the adoration and fucks with us a bit. Knowing the show was over before most I bolted as soon as they finished Ænema and as the house lights came on I couldn't help noticing more than a few female fans in tears as the show ended. It's awesome that people are so moved by these guys and their songs but is is also a bit absurd.

Having just turned 50, I really appreciated Maynard effing a bit with Danny just before his biggest solo of the show by calling him "Grandpa".

I've seen them many, many times now and I think I like the small venues less. For me, their sound and visuals are just too big for a place like Camden.

I'll test this theory on Wednesday in ER.
01-30-2012, 08:10 AM

Ok now for a better review than when I posted last night.

This was my 9th show. First one being Coachella in 2006 and the last time I saw them prior to tonight being in Atlanta in 2009 (where I left disappointed due to the shit set list they were playing in 2009).

I made a conscious decision to not look at any set lists of this tour until after the show was over in order to keep things fresh in case they threw any surprises. Going into the show I was expecting to see a set similar to the 2010 and 2011 shows which I unfortunately did not get a chance to see due to $$$ issues I was having at the time (as I would have had to fly to the west coast).

At the beginning of the show they teased with third eye. For about 3 minutes they were doing the heart beat which happens at the beginning of third eye. I was incredibly excited because I have never seen third eye live and really wanted to see it.

Then adam started playing hooker with a penis... i was confused for a fraction of a second till i realized what was going on. i went fucking crazy!

the setlist progressed and I was incredibly happy to hear ticks and leaches. before playing it maynard said something along the lines of "some songs tonight were made when you guys were sperm" and then they teased with the "no quarter" intro before danny went crazy with the ticks and leeches intro... I once again went crazy haha.

They did a awesome new jam before breaking into pushit. which was my second time seeing that song live (caught it in 2007 in mansfield). pushit is one of my favorite songs so it was real nice to hear. maynard did not sing the last verse however "staring down the hole again... hand upon my back again" etc. but no harm no foul.

I have seen schism done live at every show I have been to but this was by far the best rendition of it I have seen. Ditto for 46 and 2. Intension was fantastic.

The segue at the end before aenema had fantastic visuals and was real psychedelic. I was a little dissapointed when the played aenema after it only because I knew that was going to be the last song and I was hoping for third eye (as I hadnt looked at any setlists). But oh well. I cant complain at all. After Pushit was over I told my fiancee who I brought with me that the show could end at that point and I would be content (which was true).

Other things to note. The people next to me fucking sucked. They wouldnt stop talking to me and my fiancee during the songs and they were making these real annoying remarks at us (like making fun of us for dancing during pushit). These guys left to get beer after pushit was over and didnt come back till aenema so they missed the majority of the show. They obviously were not fans and tickets were really expensive so I have no idea what the fuck was their deal. They came back during aenema and were making retarded remarks to my fiancee and semi wrecked that song for me which sucked. This has never happened to me at a tool show before tonight but I have read PLENTY of reports of similar things happening to other people in the past so I guess it had to happen to me sooner or later?

Also... I tried to get 2 tickets for this show the SECOND they went on sale. I couldnt. I ended up being able to get 2 single tickets in totally different areas of the venue. Then later I snagged a third single ticket off of craigslist (for face value!). I wanted to sit with my fiancee obviously. While the guys sitting to the left of us sucked the people to the right of us were real nice and let her sit with me even tho her seat was elsewhere. Good stuff. There were actually many people who I talked to at the venue to which the same thing happened to them. I guess stub hub and other scalpers got all the seats. Fuckheads.

All in all this is one of the top tool shows I have been to. If I would have to pick a number 1 it would be coachella but that is only because it was my first. This one was right up there and definitely had the best set list.

/Rant
Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Ok now for a better review than when I posted last night.

This was my 9th show. First one being Coachella in 2006 and the last time I saw them prior to tonight being in Atlanta in 2009 (where I left disappointed due to the shit set list they were playing in 2009).

I made a conscious decision to not look at any set lists of this tour until after the show was over in order to keep things fresh in case they threw any surprises. Going into the show I was expecting to see a set similar to the 2010 and 2011 shows which I unfortunately did not get a chance to see due to $$$ issues I was having at the time (as I would have had to fly to the west coast).

At the beginning of the show they teased with third eye. For about 3 minutes they were doing the heart beat which happens at the beginning of third eye. I was incredibly excited because I have never seen third eye live and really wanted to see it.

Then adam started playing hooker with a penis... i was confused for a fraction of a second till i realized what was going on. i went fucking crazy!

the setlist progressed and I was incredibly happy to hear ticks and leaches. before playing it maynard said something along the lines of "some songs tonight were made when you guys were sperm" and then they teased with the "no quarter" intro before danny went crazy with the ticks and leeches intro... I once again went crazy haha.

They did a awesome new jam before breaking into pushit. which was my second time seeing that song live (caught it in 2007 in mansfield). pushit is one of my favorite songs so it was real nice to hear. maynard did not sing the last verse however "staring down the hole again... hand upon my back again" etc. but no harm no foul.

I have seen schism done live at every show I have been to but this was by far the best rendition of it I have seen. Ditto for 46 and 2. Intension was fantastic.

The segue at the end before aenema had fantastic visuals and was real psychedelic. I was a little dissapointed when the played aenema after it only because I knew that was going to be the last song and I was hoping for third eye (as I hadnt looked at any setlists). But oh well. I cant complain at all. After Pushit was over I told my fiancee who I brought with me that the show could end at that point and I would be content (which was true).

Other things to note. The people next to me fucking sucked. They wouldnt stop talking to me and my fiancee during the songs and they were making these real annoying remarks at us (like making fun of us for dancing during pushit). These guys left to get beer after pushit was over and didnt come back till aenema so they missed the majority of the show. They obviously were not fans and tickets were really expensive so I have no idea what the fuck was their deal. They came back during aenema and were making retarded remarks to my fiancee and semi wrecked that song for me which sucked. This has never happened to me at a tool show before tonight but I have read PLENTY of reports of similar things happening to other people in the past so I guess it had to happen to me sooner or later?

Also... I tried to get 2 tickets for this show the SECOND they went on sale. I couldnt. I ended up being able to get 2 single tickets in totally different areas of the venue. Then later I snagged a third single ticket off of craigslist (for face value!). I wanted to sit with my fiancee obviously. While the guys sitting to the left of us sucked the people to the right of us were real nice and let her sit with me even tho her seat was elsewhere. Good stuff. There were actually many people who I talked to at the venue to which the same thing happened to them. I guess stub hub and other scalpers got all the seats. Fuckheads.

All in all this is one of the top tool shows I have been to. If I would have to pick a number 1 it would be coachella but that is only because it was my first. This one was right up there and definitely had the best set list.

/Rant
menglera4
01-30-2012, 08:30 AM

I didn't have the highest expectations for this show considering the tour just seemed to pop up out of the blue... let me clarify... Tool shows are one of the greatest experiences to be involved in, so I was certainly prepared for an amazing show... but that show?!?! holyfuckingshit!!! That was incredible!! how these 4 guys can make such amazingly, beautiful and powerful sound is beyond me. The visuals were the best of any show I've ever been to (15 shows and counting back to '96...). And yes, limited number of songs, but this show exemplified "quality" over "quantity"!! the instrumentals were giving me goosebumps. The highlight of the show, for me anyway, was the instrumental "teaser" before Schism - I actually had tears welling up. I never wanted that instrumental/moment to end. If that was their advertisement for the next album - it was the best marketing campaign i've ever heard. Seriously, such an awe-inspiring experience. I thought a few times during the show how unfortunate it is that Justin, Adam, Maynard and Danny can't experience the masterpieces they put together; but then again, one can only imagine how incredible it must feel to create such beautiful art. Thank you Tool!!

~and please, if anyone knows where I can find that instrumental teaser they did before schism, please let me know.... and not the one from Reno, that wasn't a faction as good as what was performed last night.

Last edited by menglera4; 01-30-2012 at 08:36 AM..
Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

I didn't have the highest expectations for this show considering the tour just seemed to pop up out of the blue... let me clarify... Tool shows are one of the greatest experiences to be involved in, so I was certainly prepared for an amazing show... but that show?!?! holyfuckingshit!!! That was incredible!! how these 4 guys can make such amazingly, beautiful and powerful sound is beyond me. The visuals were the best of any show I've ever been to (15 shows and counting back to '96...). And yes, limited number of songs, but this show exemplified "quality" over "quantity"!! the instrumentals were giving me goosebumps. The highlight of the show, for me anyway, was the instrumental "teaser" before Schism - I actually had tears welling up. I never wanted that instrumental/moment to end. If that was their advertisement for the next album - it was the best marketing campaign i've ever heard. Seriously, such an awe-inspiring experience. I thought a few times during the show how unfortunate it is that Justin, Adam, Maynard and Danny can't experience the masterpieces they put together; but then again, one can only imagine how incredible it must feel to create such beautiful art. Thank you Tool!!

~and please, if anyone knows where I can find that instrumental teaser they did before schism, please let me know.... and not the one from Reno, that wasn't a faction as good as what was performed last night.

Last edited by menglera4; 01-30-2012 at 08:36 AM..
Styx's Avatar Styx
01-30-2012, 08:33 AM

My 10th show since 11/23/96 at the Electric Factory. We were seated dead center in the pit, 6th row, and everyone around us was really great. The best part was that multiple times, between and during songs, the band members were making each other laugh.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

My 10th show since 11/23/96 at the Electric Factory. We were seated dead center in the pit, 6th row, and everyone around us was really great. The best part was that multiple times, between and during songs, the band members were making each other laugh.
Deadhead Chemistry
01-30-2012, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=kanaduh;3042183][center]*****DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU WERE AT THE SHOW*****

Kanaduh, Please change your picture as it has members wondering if your a retard.

mod edit: you're* a retard.

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-30-2012 at 02:14 PM..
Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

[QUOTE=kanaduh;3042183][center]*****DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU WERE AT THE SHOW*****

Kanaduh, Please change your picture as it has members wondering if your a retard.

mod edit: you're* a retard.

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-30-2012 at 02:14 PM..
IC's Avatar IC
01-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Yep. Definitely an amazing experience. Good to finally hear all of my favorite Aenima tracks played live. Til' next time..
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Yep. Definitely an amazing experience. Good to finally hear all of my favorite Aenima tracks played live. Til' next time..
01-30-2012, 05:24 PM

Thank you to TOOL for the magic

This show was EPIC

We were seated in Sec 202 row H 41 & 42 directly behind the sound booth - Dead on with the sound and visual stimuli. Great People around us, everyone was really cool and into the show.

It was like a small private concert - not a big place at all, I asked some different venue workers how many and they said maybe 4000. The first thing I said to my wife when we sat down and realized the stage was so close was this is like going to a movie theater. This was going to be a stellar evening....

The entire band sounded very tight, excellent. When you truly appreciate the experience, when you have such a deep connection to the music and understand you are getting to see the best Band in Rock and the best live show - BY A LONG SHOT - in the last 20+ years you just allow the music to take you on a journey.

It was intense. This mini tour must be practice for the guys to get real tight and in the groove to go in a lay down the new album supposedly due out around May according to the newsletters - Lets hope so!

Hooker With A Penis - Great opener, BUY MY NEW RECORD! - lets go May 2012

Jambi - Always great to showcase the amazing Guitars and heavy Rhythm section SHINE ON!

Stinkfist - Always awesome live, no words needed

Ticks & Leeches - WOW, great live

Pushit - This was an incredible version, vocally and all.... WOW

Schism - This intro is new, nothing from any CD so I'm thinking or assuming this may be teasing with some new music to come on the next album, either way it was great - I know the pieces fit...

Intension - This was AWESOME, a great visual experience, nice and mellow and in the groove
a nice energy to go into the closing 3 songs, very happy I got to see this!

Forty Six & 2 - as always, on point and amazing in every way

Lateralus - The Greatest Song ever written in my opinion, this was a purely spiritual experience

Ænema - A great song to close the 2012 winter tour with, very fitting and they took it beyond what words can express as a review.... if you truly love this band and the music they make and havent seen them live what are you waiting for?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

Thank you to TOOL for the magic

This show was EPIC

We were seated in Sec 202 row H 41 & 42 directly behind the sound booth - Dead on with the sound and visual stimuli. Great People around us, everyone was really cool and into the show.

It was like a small private concert - not a big place at all, I asked some different venue workers how many and they said maybe 4000. The first thing I said to my wife when we sat down and realized the stage was so close was this is like going to a movie theater. This was going to be a stellar evening....

The entire band sounded very tight, excellent. When you truly appreciate the experience, when you have such a deep connection to the music and understand you are getting to see the best Band in Rock and the best live show - BY A LONG SHOT - in the last 20+ years you just allow the music to take you on a journey.

It was intense. This mini tour must be practice for the guys to get real tight and in the groove to go in a lay down the new album supposedly due out around May according to the newsletters - Lets hope so!

Hooker With A Penis - Great opener, BUY MY NEW RECORD! - lets go May 2012

Jambi - Always great to showcase the amazing Guitars and heavy Rhythm section SHINE ON!

Stinkfist - Always awesome live, no words needed

Ticks & Leeches - WOW, great live

Pushit - This was an incredible version, vocally and all.... WOW

Schism - This intro is new, nothing from any CD so I'm thinking or assuming this may be teasing with some new music to come on the next album, either way it was great - I know the pieces fit...

Intension - This was AWESOME, a great visual experience, nice and mellow and in the groove
a nice energy to go into the closing 3 songs, very happy I got to see this!

Forty Six & 2 - as always, on point and amazing in every way

Lateralus - The Greatest Song ever written in my opinion, this was a purely spiritual experience

Ænema - A great song to close the 2012 winter tour with, very fitting and they took it beyond what words can express as a review.... if you truly love this band and the music they make and havent seen them live what are you waiting for?
maadas
01-31-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndEyeQuote View Post

to recap with notes:

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Ticks & Leeches

Intension
Forty Six & 2

Ænema (changed up a bit)

---

and a brief review:

They've been playing that big intro to schism at all the shows. In the reviews for some of the other venues people are referring to it as schism with new intro. Sounded pretty amazing in Reno and in Tucson!!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndEyeQuote View Post

to recap with notes:

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Ticks & Leeches

Intension
Forty Six & 2

Ænema (changed up a bit)

---

and a brief review:

They've been playing that big intro to schism at all the shows. In the reviews for some of the other venues people are referring to it as schism with new intro. Sounded pretty amazing in Reno and in Tucson!!
Brett Weir
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM

I was 12th row in Boston, and that intro had me mesmerized. Justin's bass line on it was beautiful. I hope that is part of a new song.
Long Beach, CA: 11/24/02
Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

I was 12th row in Boston, and that intro had me mesmerized. Justin's bass line on it was beautiful. I hope that is part of a new song.
Long Beach, CA: 11/24/02
Mavrik21's Avatar Mavrik21
02-01-2012, 03:42 AM

How was the venue set up? Did they close in the back? I was surprised to see they chose the outdoor venue in Janaury...when Trenton has the arena?
Last TOOL show in 2010 in Morrison, CO: Red Rocks

"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been."
Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

How was the venue set up? Did they close in the back? I was surprised to see they chose the outdoor venue in Janaury...when Trenton has the arena?
Last TOOL show in 2010 in Morrison, CO: Red Rocks

"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been."
02-01-2012, 01:17 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention in my post (guess I cant edit it anymore?)... Out of the nine shows I have seen this was the only one (except for maybe coachella) where maynard seemed like he was really into the music and wanted to be there/was happy. He was dancing and moving around his area of the stage like it was the late 90's (well maybe not that good but better than anything in recent times)... it made the night that much more enjoyable.

Also caught adam smiling which is a rare treat.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

One more thing I forgot to mention in my post (guess I cant edit it anymore?)... Out of the nine shows I have seen this was the only one (except for maybe coachella) where maynard seemed like he was really into the music and wanted to be there/was happy. He was dancing and moving around his area of the stage like it was the late 90's (well maybe not that good but better than anything in recent times)... it made the night that much more enjoyable.

Also caught adam smiling which is a rare treat.
Awakened1
02-01-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik21 View Post
Yea, it was just seating with the lawn closed off with a wall....
Old 02-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Yea, it was just seating with the lawn closed off with a wall....
stinky
02-01-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Yes. They close it up. I have seen them there when it was open and the weather was nicer even though it was raining that day.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Yes. They close it up. I have seen them there when it was open and the weather was nicer even though it was raining that day.
threewire
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM

This was my first Tool show. I've been a fan since 2001, but somehow always ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and never caught a show. Having finally seen them live, I was not disappointed -- not by the set, nor the length, nor MJK's much discussed supposed disdain for Tool's fans. I haven't much to add to the positive reviews above (I got the impression the band was having a good night), but I do want to say something about the negative reviews I've read on these boards.

Most of my comments relate directly to criticisms hurled at MJK; the sum of which could be stated as follows: the illusion that any of us know Maynard or Adam or anyone remotely associated with Tool is just that -- an illusion. We know the boys in Tool from two things: their music and their stage shows. You can't reverse engineer even a cursory understanding of who a person really is from either of those two things. Consider that in many ways I know more about the goddamn Kardashians than I do about Maynard. You have to ask yourself why that is. It's probably because the Kardashians are trading on their celebrity, not on their talent (such as I'm generous enough to even pretend any of them have any talent at all -- and I am not). Maynard is trading on his art -- period. The music is primary here. This is Tool; not some boy band, or some silicon-enhanced, lip-synch automaton with a weave and an earpiece mic, or even some whiny emo band spending more time checking their eyeliner than their tuning. If the music alone isn't enough for you at a Tool concert, then maybe the music just isn't enough you, period.

There is more than a whiff of irony in Maynard's onstage presence. His lyrics and vocal performances run the gamut from defiant and rage-filled to reflective and vulnerable. Asking for amiable banter with the audience after a song like "Hook with a Penis" is like chasing a glass of 30-year-old scotch with bubblegum-flavored schnapps. Tool and Maynard are supposed to burn a little on the way down. You don't get Maynard's voice and artistic approach out of someone like Sammy Hagar for a damn good reason. And I don't want self-effacing rock star bluster at a Tool concert. The music is well served by the stage show. More than any other show I've been to, Tool's vision seemed of a piece. Fatuous, plastic rock star pretensions are not needed.

For me, Tool delivered what I'd hoped. Maynard conveyed a dark, ironic, almost ghostly presence behind a wall of sound projected with deadly precision by a band content to allow the music to carry the audience aloft. I don't need or want typical head-banging, rock star antics to prevent the music from achieving escape velocity. Very much like King Crimson, with Tool, the music is the message. But, if mugging, preening performers are what you want, next time consider dropping cash to see Spiderman hang from a wire on Broadway.

If Tool return to the stage in the future, so will I.

My two cents.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show. I've been a fan since 2001, but somehow always ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and never caught a show. Having finally seen them live, I was not disappointed -- not by the set, nor the length, nor MJK's much discussed supposed disdain for Tool's fans. I haven't much to add to the positive reviews above (I got the impression the band was having a good night), but I do want to say something about the negative reviews I've read on these boards.

Most of my comments relate directly to criticisms hurled at MJK; the sum of which could be stated as follows: the illusion that any of us know Maynard or Adam or anyone remotely associated with Tool is just that -- an illusion. We know the boys in Tool from two things: their music and their stage shows. You can't reverse engineer even a cursory understanding of who a person really is from either of those two things. Consider that in many ways I know more about the goddamn Kardashians than I do about Maynard. You have to ask yourself why that is. It's probably because the Kardashians are trading on their celebrity, not on their talent (such as I'm generous enough to even pretend any of them have any talent at all -- and I am not). Maynard is trading on his art -- period. The music is primary here. This is Tool; not some boy band, or some silicon-enhanced, lip-synch automaton with a weave and an earpiece mic, or even some whiny emo band spending more time checking their eyeliner than their tuning. If the music alone isn't enough for you at a Tool concert, then maybe the music just isn't enough you, period.

There is more than a whiff of irony in Maynard's onstage presence. His lyrics and vocal performances run the gamut from defiant and rage-filled to reflective and vulnerable. Asking for amiable banter with the audience after a song like "Hook with a Penis" is like chasing a glass of 30-year-old scotch with bubblegum-flavored schnapps. Tool and Maynard are supposed to burn a little on the way down. You don't get Maynard's voice and artistic approach out of someone like Sammy Hagar for a damn good reason. And I don't want self-effacing rock star bluster at a Tool concert. The music is well served by the stage show. More than any other show I've been to, Tool's vision seemed of a piece. Fatuous, plastic rock star pretensions are not needed.

For me, Tool delivered what I'd hoped. Maynard conveyed a dark, ironic, almost ghostly presence behind a wall of sound projected with deadly precision by a band content to allow the music to carry the audience aloft. I don't need or want typical head-banging, rock star antics to prevent the music from achieving escape velocity. Very much like King Crimson, with Tool, the music is the message. But, if mugging, preening performers are what you want, next time consider dropping cash to see Spiderman hang from a wire on Broadway.

If Tool return to the stage in the future, so will I.

My two cents.
biff
02-03-2012, 05:43 AM

NOW THAT WAS A PROPER TOOL SHOW.... 10th row dead center.

Ah the joys of Camden. Streets blocked off... Avon Barksdale and Omar Little from The Wire shooting at each other in the streets, stray dogs and cats that have reverted back to the wild pack life, crack hookers with penises... and Tool. This was somewhere around my 25th show or so since 97... gotta go back and get a count... and it ranks right up there with the best of them. Put it this way... it was the only show in the 10k Days era that hearkened back to the pre-10k days era. First off, Maynard was perfect. He wasn't Maynard from 97 or 02, make no mistake this was still 2012 Maynard... no more screaming... but he was completely on point tonight and was awesome. He delivered professional, beautiful vocals that, while not the same as previous years' madness, were equal to his previous work. That doesn't happen for him (and us) as often any more. He was up in the mix, and his work on Pushit was absolutely stunning. Bravo Rev Maynard. As for the rest of the band... I've never seen Adam animated at all... until tonight. Was that Adam getting some crowd love while standing on a monitor? Did he headbang (slightly) during the Schism intro jam? Yes and yes. He really is the MVP of Tool and makes them what they are. He is less of a guitar player and more of a painter dialing in audio colors all the while capable of decapitating you with a power chord in a flash. Incredible. Danny Carey is the best drummer in the world. His solo flashes always remind me of the greats of jazz in it's hey day. No one compares to his taste and technical ability. Even by DC standards, he had a great night and was pulling out all the stops. Justin never ceases to amaze me. His approach to the bass is so goddamn... left of center... he's less a part of a rhythm section (though he handles that impeccably) and more a musical entity all his own yet he fits right in with his band. Incredible.

The crowd was awesome. A proper Philly rock crowd. Even the dipshits with striped white shirts who dressed for the Jersey Shore instead of a Tool show were totally into it and respectful of fellow concert-goers during the quiet parts of Intension. A drastically different atmosphere than the East Rutherford show... see my review for that show for more.

If you saw this show you didn't see Tool at their all time best (their prime has past) but you did see the best band in the world at their best NOW... they don't get better than that. As MJK said, Merry Christmas....
Old 02-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

Ah the joys of Camden. Streets blocked off... Avon Barksdale and Omar Little from The Wire shooting at each other in the streets, stray dogs and cats that have reverted back to the wild pack life, crack hookers with penises... and Tool. This was somewhere around my 25th show or so since 97... gotta go back and get a count... and it ranks right up there with the best of them. Put it this way... it was the only show in the 10k Days era that hearkened back to the pre-10k days era. First off, Maynard was perfect. He wasn't Maynard from 97 or 02, make no mistake this was still 2012 Maynard... no more screaming... but he was completely on point tonight and was awesome. He delivered professional, beautiful vocals that, while not the same as previous years' madness, were equal to his previous work. That doesn't happen for him (and us) as often any more. He was up in the mix, and his work on Pushit was absolutely stunning. Bravo Rev Maynard. As for the rest of the band... I've never seen Adam animated at all... until tonight. Was that Adam getting some crowd love while standing on a monitor? Did he headbang (slightly) during the Schism intro jam? Yes and yes. He really is the MVP of Tool and makes them what they are. He is less of a guitar player and more of a painter dialing in audio colors all the while capable of decapitating you with a power chord in a flash. Incredible. Danny Carey is the best drummer in the world. His solo flashes always remind me of the greats of jazz in it's hey day. No one compares to his taste and technical ability. Even by DC standards, he had a great night and was pulling out all the stops. Justin never ceases to amaze me. His approach to the bass is so goddamn... left of center... he's less a part of a rhythm section (though he handles that impeccably) and more a musical entity all his own yet he fits right in with his band. Incredible.

The crowd was awesome. A proper Philly rock crowd. Even the dipshits with striped white shirts who dressed for the Jersey Shore instead of a Tool show were totally into it and respectful of fellow concert-goers during the quiet parts of Intension. A drastically different atmosphere than the East Rutherford show... see my review for that show for more.

If you saw this show you didn't see Tool at their all time best (their prime has past) but you did see the best band in the world at their best NOW... they don't get better than that. As MJK said, Merry Christmas....
thepot06's Avatar thepot06
02-15-2012, 12:10 AM

i've only seen Tool live during their 10,000 days era so i can't compare with what many of you fans have seen. But the three times I"ve seen them i got closer and closer. This nite I was 7 rows back and was completely overwhelmed and mesmerized. What an amazing band. I attempt to play music myself, so to see a group of musicians as talented as this is very inspiring. Furthermore to witness this phenom with my brothers,and our girlfriends whom are all huge fans made this show even better. Im still convinced these guys are the greatest band of our generation. How could you explain being able to listen to every album they've done from the beginning over and over without getting sick of it. I cant wait to b albe to buy another record and see them again!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

i've only seen Tool live during their 10,000 days era so i can't compare with what many of you fans have seen. But the three times I"ve seen them i got closer and closer. This nite I was 7 rows back and was completely overwhelmed and mesmerized. What an amazing band. I attempt to play music myself, so to see a group of musicians as talented as this is very inspiring. Furthermore to witness this phenom with my brothers,and our girlfriends whom are all huge fans made this show even better. Im still convinced these guys are the greatest band of our generation. How could you explain being able to listen to every album they've done from the beginning over and over without getting sick of it. I cant wait to b albe to buy another record and see them again!
godhenry
02-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post

well said, my friend.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post

well said, my friend.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply