Sober
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs.

Last edited by kanaduh; 02-05-2012 at 01:06 AM..
Old 01-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
02.04.2012 - Charlotte, NC @ Bojangles Chicken

*****DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU WERE AT THE SHOW*****

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs.

Last edited by kanaduh; 02-05-2012 at 01:06 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
wes
02-04-2012, 08:44 PM

Kick ass show. Maynard and the whole band were spot on tonight. No pot and no signed posters however scored a unsigned poster for 30 . These guys are having fun. Justin was sticking his toungue out at Maynard and Danny during schism. Maynard is sounding strong vocaly. Great visuals. Maynard a little talkative Said tomorrow is Superbowl Sunday how many for new England how many for new york how many could give a fuck less me I. Could care less since the packers are out., Till Atlanta Spiral out.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
wes
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.04.2012 - Charlotte, NC @ Bojangles Chicken

Kick ass show. Maynard and the whole band were spot on tonight. No pot and no signed posters however scored a unsigned poster for 30 . These guys are having fun. Justin was sticking his toungue out at Maynard and Danny during schism. Maynard is sounding strong vocaly. Great visuals. Maynard a little talkative Said tomorrow is Superbowl Sunday how many for new England how many for new york how many could give a fuck less me I. Could care less since the packers are out., Till Atlanta Spiral out.
wes
02-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Sorry about the doublpost guys also Maynard pointed at every section before he fived Danny and left.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
wes

Sorry about the doublpost guys also Maynard pointed at every section before he fived Danny and left.
sukumade
02-04-2012, 09:58 PM

Great show - was second row right in front of Justin. He was sticking his tongue out and making faces the whole time; it was great!

The light effects were amazing and the audio was much better than the last time they came through Charlotte.

They played a lot of their older songs which I personally prefer. Danny was a beast as usual and everyone was spot-on with everything.

I've been to 5 Tool concerts and this one was my favorite so far.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show - was second row right in front of Justin. He was sticking his tongue out and making faces the whole time; it was great!

The light effects were amazing and the audio was much better than the last time they came through Charlotte.

They played a lot of their older songs which I personally prefer. Danny was a beast as usual and everyone was spot-on with everything.

I've been to 5 Tool concerts and this one was my favorite so far.
ShadowDemon420's Avatar ShadowDemon420
02-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Great show 3rd time seeing them pushit is not the slow version if you know what I mean awesome sound and great lights had a blast and got cool shirt for 40$ awesome show had a really good time man the lights was so cool but yeah I had a lot of fun anyways hell yeah..

DAB

DAB
Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show 3rd time seeing them pushit is not the slow version if you know what I mean awesome sound and great lights had a blast and got cool shirt for 40$ awesome show had a really good time man the lights was so cool but yeah I had a lot of fun anyways hell yeah..

DAB

DAB
NCToolfan's Avatar NCToolfan
02-04-2012, 10:13 PM

4th show and was really glad to get 4 songs I hadn't heard before (Hooker, Sober, Pushit, Intension). Was bummed about the posters not arriving till after 9, so no signed posters available. Man do these posters smell awful! My entire room reeks already.

I was in section 115 in the back and thought it sounded great in there. Maynard was very audible throughout the show as well. Looked like all of them were really enjoying themselves tonight and I did notice Maynard point to each section of the arena before walking off. Last time in Charlotte somebody put a laser pointer on him early in the show and I don't remember him even turning back around until towards the end of the show.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 25

4th show and was really glad to get 4 songs I hadn't heard before (Hooker, Sober, Pushit, Intension). Was bummed about the posters not arriving till after 9, so no signed posters available. Man do these posters smell awful! My entire room reeks already.

I was in section 115 in the back and thought it sounded great in there. Maynard was very audible throughout the show as well. Looked like all of them were really enjoying themselves tonight and I did notice Maynard point to each section of the arena before walking off. Last time in Charlotte somebody put a laser pointer on him early in the show and I don't remember him even turning back around until towards the end of the show.
02-04-2012, 10:59 PM

I know my wife said whats that smell on the way home we finally figured out it was the poster . I got # 327/500 gonna try and get a signed one at the Georgia show. Talked to Paul who is over the Posters and they came in on a plane and did not arrive in time for the band to sign . They had some killer drum heads signed and doodled by Adam for 300-600 bucks . They have some kool ass shirts I liked the one with the fish and the one with alex greys blue head .
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
wes

I know my wife said whats that smell on the way home we finally figured out it was the poster . I got # 327/500 gonna try and get a signed one at the Georgia show. Talked to Paul who is over the Posters and they came in on a plane and did not arrive in time for the band to sign . They had some killer drum heads signed and doodled by Adam for 300-600 bucks . They have some kool ass shirts I liked the one with the fish and the one with alex greys blue head .
wes
02-04-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I was workin off my droid razr !!! In the car on the way home .
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I was workin off my droid razr !!! In the car on the way home .
CeePoa's Avatar CeePoa
02-04-2012, 11:30 PM

Setlist:
Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema
(Or at least I'm pretty sure that was it.)

Tonight was a pretty amazing show. Only my second time seeing them, but I think it definitely was better than in '07 when we saw them in SC. I just got back from the drive and I'm still a little pumped up from the show.
We sat in section 124 up on the balcony. We could see and hear everything perfectly, and the people around us mostly kept to themselves. There weren't too many jerk-off drunk people; at least not around me that is. The band sounded fantastic, though I wish that the vocals could have been a little louder. (I do have a little bit of bad hearing so that could have just been me.) I pretty much already knew what songs to expect because I've been lurking on here, but my husband, who hasn't been reading up on the shows, was excited about the setlist. He really loved Pushit, and I was excited about Stinkfist. Maynard wasn't too terribly talkative. He said a few things near the end, but I think it was obvious that they all were having fun. The visuals were WOW. Just WOW. I don't know how many people noticed the things going on in the back of the coliseum, but it was striking. I especially loved the lasers, very cool.
We both ended up getting a shirt a piece. I would have liked to also have bought the hoodie, but I'm on a budget!

Overall, one of the best shows I've seen and the best I've seen from these guys. I didn't get the feeling that it was a farewell tour like some people have. Also, I wasn't a fan of the opening act. I was okay with them until the dude began singing.

(who's Travis(name?) (the guest drummer guy)? Anyone?)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Setlist:
Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema
(Or at least I'm pretty sure that was it.)

Tonight was a pretty amazing show. Only my second time seeing them, but I think it definitely was better than in '07 when we saw them in SC. I just got back from the drive and I'm still a little pumped up from the show.
We sat in section 124 up on the balcony. We could see and hear everything perfectly, and the people around us mostly kept to themselves. There weren't too many jerk-off drunk people; at least not around me that is. The band sounded fantastic, though I wish that the vocals could have been a little louder. (I do have a little bit of bad hearing so that could have just been me.) I pretty much already knew what songs to expect because I've been lurking on here, but my husband, who hasn't been reading up on the shows, was excited about the setlist. He really loved Pushit, and I was excited about Stinkfist. Maynard wasn't too terribly talkative. He said a few things near the end, but I think it was obvious that they all were having fun. The visuals were WOW. Just WOW. I don't know how many people noticed the things going on in the back of the coliseum, but it was striking. I especially loved the lasers, very cool.
We both ended up getting a shirt a piece. I would have liked to also have bought the hoodie, but I'm on a budget!

Overall, one of the best shows I've seen and the best I've seen from these guys. I didn't get the feeling that it was a farewell tour like some people have. Also, I wasn't a fan of the opening act. I was okay with them until the dude began singing.

(who's Travis(name?) (the guest drummer guy)? Anyone?)
02-04-2012, 11:36 PM

Gotta say, best show I have seen these guys play. After reading so many of the reviews on the past few weeks, it would seem that Maynard has hardly been present and he and Adam are acting like 12 year old girls again. From what I saw and heard tonight that is bullshit. Maynard stayed on stage throughout most of the show and was dancing the entire time. He prolonged his screams quite a bit more than what he has done over the past 6 years.
YOB was not my favorite. That poor kid during the drum-off, I felt so bad for him. He was just not able to keep up. Danny even seemed to have slowed down at times just to allow him to keep up. Im beginning to think that your worst fear is getting asked to open for Tool.
The crowd was fantastic. No fighting. Just friendship.
This was by far the best tool show I have been to and probably one of the best on the tour.
(Note that Maynard waved to the crowd for a really long time and then talked to Adam before he left the stage).
Setlist:
HWAP
Jambi
(ions)
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
(sexy jam)
Schism
Intention
46&2
Lateralus
(Intermission)
Aenima
Old 02-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Gotta say, best show I have seen these guys play. After reading so many of the reviews on the past few weeks, it would seem that Maynard has hardly been present and he and Adam are acting like 12 year old girls again. From what I saw and heard tonight that is bullshit. Maynard stayed on stage throughout most of the show and was dancing the entire time. He prolonged his screams quite a bit more than what he has done over the past 6 years.
YOB was not my favorite. That poor kid during the drum-off, I felt so bad for him. He was just not able to keep up. Danny even seemed to have slowed down at times just to allow him to keep up. Im beginning to think that your worst fear is getting asked to open for Tool.
The crowd was fantastic. No fighting. Just friendship.
This was by far the best tool show I have been to and probably one of the best on the tour.
(Note that Maynard waved to the crowd for a really long time and then talked to Adam before he left the stage).
Setlist:
HWAP
Jambi
(ions)
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
(sexy jam)
Schism
Intention
46&2
Lateralus
(Intermission)
Aenima
Petey Kundalini's Avatar Petey Kundalini
02-05-2012, 08:12 AM

The whole band seemed in good spirits this show. Maynard and Justin were joking around quite a bit. Apparently Maynard is a Packers fan.... sigh. Overall, great show. My favorite out of the five I've attended.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

The whole band seemed in good spirits this show. Maynard and Justin were joking around quite a bit. Apparently Maynard is a Packers fan.... sigh. Overall, great show. My favorite out of the five I've attended.
benpedro
02-05-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Kundalini View Post
Maynard is a lions fan.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Kundalini View Post
Maynard is a lions fan.
02-05-2012, 10:44 AM

damn i thought the posters had sold out by the time i got inside. i know this is probably a long shot, but if anyone had an extra one to sell, id be willing to pay top dollar.

as for the show, i mean what can say. any complaints are just nit picking. maynards vocals were much better and clearer than in 09. danny is danny. justin seemed to having fun, drinking his trademark stellas. i really enjoyed the new twist on the guitar during stinkfist and the new intro jam to schism is great. been wating ten years to hear pushit live and it did not dissapoint. would have preferred ticks to sober, but like i said any complaints is just nit picking. lateralus is still one of the best/ most moving songs you cans see live. the visuals were on fire as always. fingers crossed they come back through the southeast in support of a new album within a year!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

damn i thought the posters had sold out by the time i got inside. i know this is probably a long shot, but if anyone had an extra one to sell, id be willing to pay top dollar.

as for the show, i mean what can say. any complaints are just nit picking. maynards vocals were much better and clearer than in 09. danny is danny. justin seemed to having fun, drinking his trademark stellas. i really enjoyed the new twist on the guitar during stinkfist and the new intro jam to schism is great. been wating ten years to hear pushit live and it did not dissapoint. would have preferred ticks to sober, but like i said any complaints is just nit picking. lateralus is still one of the best/ most moving songs you cans see live. the visuals were on fire as always. fingers crossed they come back through the southeast in support of a new album within a year!
Icehound
02-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Hi. Longtime listener; first time attender. Wow. Just Wow. Tool RAWKED!! I was beside the stage in 106 C. Third row bay-bee!! Sound was awesome. Maynard's' voice was awesome. Killer visuals.

Only downer was Sober--just a preference. Would have rather heard Ticks and/or Parabola. Oh well.

Maynard made a point to say that he was a Packers fan. Don't know how true that statement is, but he did sound pissed that the Packers were out of it.

Unfortunately, the posters came late, so no signed posters for Charlotte. However, I was able to score 32/500. WOO HOO!!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Hi. Longtime listener; first time attender. Wow. Just Wow. Tool RAWKED!! I was beside the stage in 106 C. Third row bay-bee!! Sound was awesome. Maynard's' voice was awesome. Killer visuals.

Only downer was Sober--just a preference. Would have rather heard Ticks and/or Parabola. Oh well.

Maynard made a point to say that he was a Packers fan. Don't know how true that statement is, but he did sound pissed that the Packers were out of it.

Unfortunately, the posters came late, so no signed posters for Charlotte. However, I was able to score 32/500. WOO HOO!!
davepeele
02-05-2012, 12:59 PM

After reading the forums the past few weeks, I was expecting to be let down with a half-hearted show being mailed in. With this being my 7th show since '98, I was really surprised by the show I got last night! I could detect nothing half-hearted from anyone, especially Maynard, and no rifts between the band. Maynard was the most "up-front without being up-front" that I have seen in a long time! He was very into the show and interactive with the crowd IMO. I thought his voice sounded strong! He hit and held alot of parts that I thought he would skip.

Danny is a beast! Simple amazing! Adam was nearly perfect as always. Justin really puts his all into it! He rocks out the whole time and seems to enjoy the opportunity to play as much as anyone!

Highlight of the night for me was Pushit! My favorite song that I have not heard since my first show in '98 at Ozzfest. Loved the slight additional touches during the chorus' by Adam and Maynard sang the last line, which I have been reading that he has skipped at all the other shows! Great song!

New jam before Schism was badass! Jambi and Lateralus were awesome and flawless! And opening with Hooker made me giggle a bit! ;-)

Last of all, I have to give props to the crowd! No normal NC redneck shit to deal with last night! The crowd was very mellow and in good spirits! Everyone really gave their all in the show and I think the band really appreciated that last night! I think that is the reason we got such a great performance! Maybe Maynard just loves NC! ;-)

Left looking forward to seeing them again. Hope they come around soon to promote the next album. They still got it!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

After reading the forums the past few weeks, I was expecting to be let down with a half-hearted show being mailed in. With this being my 7th show since '98, I was really surprised by the show I got last night! I could detect nothing half-hearted from anyone, especially Maynard, and no rifts between the band. Maynard was the most "up-front without being up-front" that I have seen in a long time! He was very into the show and interactive with the crowd IMO. I thought his voice sounded strong! He hit and held alot of parts that I thought he would skip.

Danny is a beast! Simple amazing! Adam was nearly perfect as always. Justin really puts his all into it! He rocks out the whole time and seems to enjoy the opportunity to play as much as anyone!

Highlight of the night for me was Pushit! My favorite song that I have not heard since my first show in '98 at Ozzfest. Loved the slight additional touches during the chorus' by Adam and Maynard sang the last line, which I have been reading that he has skipped at all the other shows! Great song!

New jam before Schism was badass! Jambi and Lateralus were awesome and flawless! And opening with Hooker made me giggle a bit! ;-)

Last of all, I have to give props to the crowd! No normal NC redneck shit to deal with last night! The crowd was very mellow and in good spirits! Everyone really gave their all in the show and I think the band really appreciated that last night! I think that is the reason we got such a great performance! Maybe Maynard just loves NC! ;-)

Left looking forward to seeing them again. Hope they come around soon to promote the next album. They still got it!
allisoncarey's Avatar allisoncarey
02-05-2012, 02:06 PM

They were soooo amazing! Ænema is the exact mindset that I have right now, so it was so awesome for me to hear it. Of course, the entire show was just out of this world, as I expected. I was on the floor left in the front row, just in front of Adam. This was only my second show and I had pretty much the same spot when I saw them in Milan, Italy in June of 2006. I may be crazy, but I was kinda hoping it would have been louder in the front row. I had a hard time breathing when I saw them in Milan because it was so loud, but I could feel the music and it was mind-blowing. I can't wait for the new album and to see these guys again! I just can't get enough...
Old 02-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

They were soooo amazing! Ænema is the exact mindset that I have right now, so it was so awesome for me to hear it. Of course, the entire show was just out of this world, as I expected. I was on the floor left in the front row, just in front of Adam. This was only my second show and I had pretty much the same spot when I saw them in Milan, Italy in June of 2006. I may be crazy, but I was kinda hoping it would have been louder in the front row. I had a hard time breathing when I saw them in Milan because it was so loud, but I could feel the music and it was mind-blowing. I can't wait for the new album and to see these guys again! I just can't get enough...
bennytude
02-05-2012, 05:27 PM

My 13th Tool show. Tool is exuding some superior vibrations on this tour. They are mega-awesome even by Tool standards. I've never been to a show at the old coliseum that had this much of a buzz around it. Tons of people were looking of tickets. Great mix of humans at this show. Youngsters, grandparents, 30-somethings, punks, hippies, non-caucasions, metalheads, black-widow spiders, hipsters, bikers, skanks, chain-smoking rednecks(in a smoke-free facility), goths, and some suit-and-tie crowd in their starched t-shirt disguises.
First, don't care for Yob. The vocalist kind of kills it for me. Somewhat predictable, dyed-in-the-wool doom metal. I like Tool's slant on merch these days. More autographed material helps counter all the D-bags trying to make a fortune on ebay.
It astonishes me how Tool's live presentation continues to evolve. My brother put it best; "A new word must be coined because 'trippy' is entirely insufficient to express what these guys do." Their show truly plants one in the epicenter of a kaleidoscopic volcano with all the the tectonic rumblings of their precisely tuned cymbal brass drums and expertly tweaked synth madness. Tool creates visions and sounds combined into experiences that defy language and description.
Now, I will attempt to highlight some moments from the experience. I tried to avoid spoilers before the show, but I saw the post on toolarmy that showed Danny playing HWAP. I never thought this song would come back to us in a live format, but they ruled it! What a way to start the show. Maynard's constantly evolving, brilliant use of multiple mics and multilayer harmony and vocal production is criminally underrated by scads of tool fans who nag about the Nard's treatment of older material. I think it's brilliant that they can alternate between major and minor vocal harmonies and stack clean and distorted vocals in ways that mimic album multitracking. This was in full use for HWAP, Jambi, and particularly Intension. Genius, I say! Furthermore, Adam and Danny's synthesizer prowess(Virus for Adam, Oberheim for Danny) has grown from modest experiments on the opening legs of the Lateralus tour to full-blown alien spaceship landings on recent outings. Justin alternates between the rudder and the anchor of the Tool ship. He can take his sound into the heavens or can offer a titanic two-note underpinning to the jam in Lateralus. The new jam that they previewed seemed to be a Justin based riff(awesome).
Speaking of Lateralus, I thought the jam with drummer from Yob was great. Very unselfish on the part of both drummers. Generally, the guest musician leaves after the improv part of Lateralus, but Tool allowed him to play the rest of the song. That seems to indicate that they dig what he has been adding to the jams.
I could go on and on, but suffice to say Tool's enshrinement in the canon of artistic greatness cannot be questioned and the sun is not setting on what they represent. Their shows are not a memorial to great achievements of the past, but instead a living altar that births new beauty constantly, but often in ways that subtly elude the casual or overly expectant fan. Go see this tour to remind you that Tool is awesome and prepare yourself for a the new Tool album.
Much love and cheers to Tool and to Southern Tool fans who represented quite well last night,

Bennytude
Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

My 13th Tool show. Tool is exuding some superior vibrations on this tour. They are mega-awesome even by Tool standards. I've never been to a show at the old coliseum that had this much of a buzz around it. Tons of people were looking of tickets. Great mix of humans at this show. Youngsters, grandparents, 30-somethings, punks, hippies, non-caucasions, metalheads, black-widow spiders, hipsters, bikers, skanks, chain-smoking rednecks(in a smoke-free facility), goths, and some suit-and-tie crowd in their starched t-shirt disguises.
First, don't care for Yob. The vocalist kind of kills it for me. Somewhat predictable, dyed-in-the-wool doom metal. I like Tool's slant on merch these days. More autographed material helps counter all the D-bags trying to make a fortune on ebay.
It astonishes me how Tool's live presentation continues to evolve. My brother put it best; "A new word must be coined because 'trippy' is entirely insufficient to express what these guys do." Their show truly plants one in the epicenter of a kaleidoscopic volcano with all the the tectonic rumblings of their precisely tuned cymbal brass drums and expertly tweaked synth madness. Tool creates visions and sounds combined into experiences that defy language and description.
Now, I will attempt to highlight some moments from the experience. I tried to avoid spoilers before the show, but I saw the post on toolarmy that showed Danny playing HWAP. I never thought this song would come back to us in a live format, but they ruled it! What a way to start the show. Maynard's constantly evolving, brilliant use of multiple mics and multilayer harmony and vocal production is criminally underrated by scads of tool fans who nag about the Nard's treatment of older material. I think it's brilliant that they can alternate between major and minor vocal harmonies and stack clean and distorted vocals in ways that mimic album multitracking. This was in full use for HWAP, Jambi, and particularly Intension. Genius, I say! Furthermore, Adam and Danny's synthesizer prowess(Virus for Adam, Oberheim for Danny) has grown from modest experiments on the opening legs of the Lateralus tour to full-blown alien spaceship landings on recent outings. Justin alternates between the rudder and the anchor of the Tool ship. He can take his sound into the heavens or can offer a titanic two-note underpinning to the jam in Lateralus. The new jam that they previewed seemed to be a Justin based riff(awesome).
Speaking of Lateralus, I thought the jam with drummer from Yob was great. Very unselfish on the part of both drummers. Generally, the guest musician leaves after the improv part of Lateralus, but Tool allowed him to play the rest of the song. That seems to indicate that they dig what he has been adding to the jams.
I could go on and on, but suffice to say Tool's enshrinement in the canon of artistic greatness cannot be questioned and the sun is not setting on what they represent. Their shows are not a memorial to great achievements of the past, but instead a living altar that births new beauty constantly, but often in ways that subtly elude the casual or overly expectant fan. Go see this tour to remind you that Tool is awesome and prepare yourself for a the new Tool album.
Much love and cheers to Tool and to Southern Tool fans who represented quite well last night,

Bennytude
kdo615
02-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisoncarey View Post
I think I may have been standing next to you for the first few songs. I was in seat 9. I've never seen them that close before and it was a mind blowing experience. I thought it was pretty loud, but I have middle aged ears. Every time Danny hit the bass (which happened about 10,000 times), it felt like I was having heart palpitations. It was a good feeling.

I notice you have a very familiar last name. Your not related to the world's greatest drummer are you? If you are, ask him when the next album is coming and post it on the board. If not, just lie to us and tell us it will be here in a few months.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I think I may have been standing next to you for the first few songs. I was in seat 9. I've never seen them that close before and it was a mind blowing experience. I thought it was pretty loud, but I have middle aged ears. Every time Danny hit the bass (which happened about 10,000 times), it felt like I was having heart palpitations. It was a good feeling.

I notice you have a very familiar last name. Your not related to the world's greatest drummer are you? If you are, ask him when the next album is coming and post it on the board. If not, just lie to us and tell us it will be here in a few months.
02-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo615 View Post

Haha... Yep, that was me! And yeah, that feeling that you're talking about was the one I was hoping for and did feel it a couple of times during the show, but I may have been moving too much. I wish I was related and actually my dad's name is Daniel Carey. As for the new album... It is supposedly going to be released either May 15th or May 22nd.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo615 View Post

Haha... Yep, that was me! And yeah, that feeling that you're talking about was the one I was hoping for and did feel it a couple of times during the show, but I may have been moving too much. I wish I was related and actually my dad's name is Daniel Carey. As for the new album... It is supposedly going to be released either May 15th or May 22nd.
kdo615
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
OK. I'm marking my calendar.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
OK. I'm marking my calendar.
harbabd
02-06-2012, 07:47 AM

I have to say how happy I was to be at this show...it was my 5th time seeing Tool and it was the best one.

The setlist was creative and respectful. Two songs I never expected to hear live again...HWAP and Pushit (original version) made the show for me.

I love seeing Tool live but this show has me excited about the direction their live shows might take going forward. Very happy today.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

I have to say how happy I was to be at this show...it was my 5th time seeing Tool and it was the best one.

The setlist was creative and respectful. Two songs I never expected to hear live again...HWAP and Pushit (original version) made the show for me.

I love seeing Tool live but this show has me excited about the direction their live shows might take going forward. Very happy today.
Anon-Imus's Avatar Anon-Imus
02-06-2012, 09:29 AM

I can die happy now I've heard Sober. I was up in Section 108 row OO. I was bummed that I was in the nose bleeds, but I realized quickly it was the best acoustics I have heard in a basketball style auditorium. Also, I was able to stand in my seat and literally hang from the rafters, and it felt like I was above all the lights and lasers. Maynard hit all the high notes that I was listening for, and it was the first time I heard Adam use the voice box on Jambi successfully. Maynard changed the lyrics on the "fret for your ____" part of Aenima, but I couldn't make it out cuz of the extreme rock that was destroying my reality. Best show I've seen since I saw them my first time in 2002!!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

I can die happy now I've heard Sober. I was up in Section 108 row OO. I was bummed that I was in the nose bleeds, but I realized quickly it was the best acoustics I have heard in a basketball style auditorium. Also, I was able to stand in my seat and literally hang from the rafters, and it felt like I was above all the lights and lasers. Maynard hit all the high notes that I was listening for, and it was the first time I heard Adam use the voice box on Jambi successfully. Maynard changed the lyrics on the "fret for your ____" part of Aenima, but I couldn't make it out cuz of the extreme rock that was destroying my reality. Best show I've seen since I saw them my first time in 2002!!
Icehound
02-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Were you wearing a black shirt, jeans, and boots. If so, I was right above and to your left.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Were you wearing a black shirt, jeans, and boots. If so, I was right above and to your left.
JRHE
02-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Enjoyed the show but it would have been better if the guy next to me wasn't screaming every song in my ear & he thought stinkfist was about fingering a girl - ha! . Maynard's vocals were stronger then last few tours, till next time. Spiral out

Last edited by JRHE; 02-06-2012 at 01:02 PM..
Old 02-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Enjoyed the show but it would have been better if the guy next to me wasn't screaming every song in my ear & he thought stinkfist was about fingering a girl - ha! . Maynard's vocals were stronger then last few tours, till next time. Spiral out

Last edited by JRHE; 02-06-2012 at 01:02 PM..
strong_zo
02-06-2012, 03:31 PM

Really I thought he liked the LIONS
Old 02-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

Really I thought he liked the LIONS
JRHE
02-06-2012, 04:48 PM

By the way, did anyone else notice Space Invaders playing on the backdrop during the synthesized intermission?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

By the way, did anyone else notice Space Invaders playing on the backdrop during the synthesized intermission?
Ladder Al (US)
02-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Awesome show! 4th Tool show.. I'm not one to complain too much about set list, but definitely glad they changed it up this tour compared to the past couple tours, which were all very similar (except for opening with Third Eye on their last mini-tour). Pushit is my fav Tool song, so I was very glad to get the chance to hear that live. Never was a big fan of Intension, but it came off great in their live show. Maynard sounded great, definitely better than the last 2 times I saw them, and even rivals the sound from Roosevelt Theater in Chicago in '06. I took my wife, who likes a few APC songs but never could get into Tool. I think last night we may have converted her over to our side. She was amazed at the lights and the music... and after my 4th show, I can say this was my favorite. Not sure if Maynard was just having a great day or the crowd put him in a great mood, but he seemed really into it, a lot more than I expected after reading reviews from other shows on the tour.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome show! 4th Tool show.. I'm not one to complain too much about set list, but definitely glad they changed it up this tour compared to the past couple tours, which were all very similar (except for opening with Third Eye on their last mini-tour). Pushit is my fav Tool song, so I was very glad to get the chance to hear that live. Never was a big fan of Intension, but it came off great in their live show. Maynard sounded great, definitely better than the last 2 times I saw them, and even rivals the sound from Roosevelt Theater in Chicago in '06. I took my wife, who likes a few APC songs but never could get into Tool. I think last night we may have converted her over to our side. She was amazed at the lights and the music... and after my 4th show, I can say this was my favorite. Not sure if Maynard was just having a great day or the crowd put him in a great mood, but he seemed really into it, a lot more than I expected after reading reviews from other shows on the tour.
Johnima
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM

This was my first Tool show. It was very, very awesome! From certain reviews that I've read on this site, I was expecting Maynard's voice to be weaker, and the show to be a bit "phoned in." From what I saw, neither of these were the case. The band sounded extremely tight. Maynard's voice was very strong, hitting and holding notes I didn't expect him to (nailing the end of Pushit!). Maynard faced the audience a majority of the time, and all of the band members seemed to be enjoying themselves. If you like Tool's music, don't hesitate to see them. After seeing them play myself, I believe that most people with negative comments about Tool's performances are being very nit-picky. Either that, or this show was just unusually good! Anyways, a few points...

Traffic around the venue was backed up. The roads around the coliseum don't seem fit to deal with that many people. Also, once inside the venue, the halls were very small and crowded.

Although the show was seated, everyone was standing. Security wasn't strict about recording at all. Lots of people were recording, and I didn't see one person kicked out or even asked to stop.

The crowd was great (at least in my section). Nobody screaming the lyrics too loud, nobody dancing too crazy, nobody talking over the music. Most people were quiet, just taking it all in and maybe headbanging. The only thing that bothered me was the girl sitting next to me. She was not interested in the show, and clearly there because her boyfriend drug her there. In my opinion, if you don't like a band, don't see their show just because you want to make someone else happy. Let the ticket go to someone who will watch the show, instead of playing on their cellphone. Regardless, she wasn't loud or obnoxious, so no big deal.

The mix was great. I was in the nosebleeds (although still close to the band, as the venue is rather small), section 124, and each instrument was crisp and clear. None were too loud or overpowering. Even when Maynard used vocal effects, he was still audible.

We didn't get Ticks And Leeches, Parabola, or The Pot which was disappointing. I was hoping (based on previous set lists) that since we got Sober, we'd get Parabola. The show was about an hour and a half, which is standard this tour.

The tour posters arrived late, over halfway through the band's set. They weren't available when I check during Intension. I ended up getting one during the intermission near the end. They were $30, and no signed posters were available. Merchandise, in general, was very expensive. $40-50 shirts and $80 hoodies.

At the end of the show, Maynard came forward a bit, gave a peace sign to each side of the coliseum, talked to Adam, first bumped Danny, then left. The other members stuck around longer and gave each other hugs.

My favorite part had to be the visuals that go along with the show. As the show progressed, they got more and more intense. They started the show with a cloth covering their backdrop and just lights above the stage. Over the course of the show, they brought in several screens, lasers, and smoke. The screens covered more and more area as the show went on. The lasers were being shined both in the air and near their feet onstage. Their light show, just like their music, is an art form.

If I had any complaints, it would be the jam before Schism and the intermission near the end. In my opinion, their show is too short to spend 15 minutes on these. It means that you only hear about 75 minutes of material from their albums. I'd rather hear another song. Also, I don't think that the jam before Schism is new material, I think it is just an intro. In my opinion, it sounds much too similar to their old material to be something they'd put on a new album.

Overall, the show was killer. Some have been speculating recently that Tool may be coming to an end. Based on this show, I feel that Tool has both the interest and physical ability to continue.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show. It was very, very awesome! From certain reviews that I've read on this site, I was expecting Maynard's voice to be weaker, and the show to be a bit "phoned in." From what I saw, neither of these were the case. The band sounded extremely tight. Maynard's voice was very strong, hitting and holding notes I didn't expect him to (nailing the end of Pushit!). Maynard faced the audience a majority of the time, and all of the band members seemed to be enjoying themselves. If you like Tool's music, don't hesitate to see them. After seeing them play myself, I believe that most people with negative comments about Tool's performances are being very nit-picky. Either that, or this show was just unusually good! Anyways, a few points...

Traffic around the venue was backed up. The roads around the coliseum don't seem fit to deal with that many people. Also, once inside the venue, the halls were very small and crowded.

Although the show was seated, everyone was standing. Security wasn't strict about recording at all. Lots of people were recording, and I didn't see one person kicked out or even asked to stop.

The crowd was great (at least in my section). Nobody screaming the lyrics too loud, nobody dancing too crazy, nobody talking over the music. Most people were quiet, just taking it all in and maybe headbanging. The only thing that bothered me was the girl sitting next to me. She was not interested in the show, and clearly there because her boyfriend drug her there. In my opinion, if you don't like a band, don't see their show just because you want to make someone else happy. Let the ticket go to someone who will watch the show, instead of playing on their cellphone. Regardless, she wasn't loud or obnoxious, so no big deal.

The mix was great. I was in the nosebleeds (although still close to the band, as the venue is rather small), section 124, and each instrument was crisp and clear. None were too loud or overpowering. Even when Maynard used vocal effects, he was still audible.

We didn't get Ticks And Leeches, Parabola, or The Pot which was disappointing. I was hoping (based on previous set lists) that since we got Sober, we'd get Parabola. The show was about an hour and a half, which is standard this tour.

The tour posters arrived late, over halfway through the band's set. They weren't available when I check during Intension. I ended up getting one during the intermission near the end. They were $30, and no signed posters were available. Merchandise, in general, was very expensive. $40-50 shirts and $80 hoodies.

At the end of the show, Maynard came forward a bit, gave a peace sign to each side of the coliseum, talked to Adam, first bumped Danny, then left. The other members stuck around longer and gave each other hugs.

My favorite part had to be the visuals that go along with the show. As the show progressed, they got more and more intense. They started the show with a cloth covering their backdrop and just lights above the stage. Over the course of the show, they brought in several screens, lasers, and smoke. The screens covered more and more area as the show went on. The lasers were being shined both in the air and near their feet onstage. Their light show, just like their music, is an art form.

If I had any complaints, it would be the jam before Schism and the intermission near the end. In my opinion, their show is too short to spend 15 minutes on these. It means that you only hear about 75 minutes of material from their albums. I'd rather hear another song. Also, I don't think that the jam before Schism is new material, I think it is just an intro. In my opinion, it sounds much too similar to their old material to be something they'd put on a new album.

Overall, the show was killer. Some have been speculating recently that Tool may be coming to an end. Based on this show, I feel that Tool has both the interest and physical ability to continue.
SpiralOut67's Avatar SpiralOut67
02-06-2012, 05:34 PM

I was in secrion 109 on the front row. Yep, that was me that the incredibly drunk guy trying to scam box seats fell on and spilled his beer all over(my wife also) before the show even started. I did however keep my cool, realize that he was too drunk to punch, and offer a hand to pull him up and send him on his wasted way. Hell, I didn't want to blow my karma on him before the boys even got started.

As soon as HWAP got cranking I could immediately sense that this show was going to be special. My wife and I looked at each other and smiled. We knew this would be an epic night and it was. This was my 5th Tool show and I have to be honest and say that I wasn't expecting what we got. The last time Tool was in Charlotte in 2009 I thought Maynard seemed like he couldn't care less if he was there or not. The sound was muffled and the whole mood of the show was a drag. This past Saturday night Tool rocked the fucking roof off that old joint! They were amazing...incredible...fantastic...they blew our minds. It was the best concert I will ever see in my life. I know it...I sense it...it was that good. Perfect sound, perfect energy, perfect crowd...perfect.

I was still high off the show this morning at the gym. Hell they couldn't get me to shut up about it...and I dindn't want to. I wanted to spread the gospel Tool and I did spread it, to all that would listen. Fuck almighty they rocked that old coliseum. What an experience, what a special, special memory. I wanted to take my three year old with us, but my wife wouldn't let me. He is named after Maynard(Samuel James), but my wife said it would be too loud for him. She was right, it was fucking loud, but it was fucking incrediible and I will never forget how hard they rocked that night.

Thank you Maynard, Adam, Justin and Danny for bringing the noise, bringing the energy and bringing the roof down. You guys fucking rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

I was in secrion 109 on the front row. Yep, that was me that the incredibly drunk guy trying to scam box seats fell on and spilled his beer all over(my wife also) before the show even started. I did however keep my cool, realize that he was too drunk to punch, and offer a hand to pull him up and send him on his wasted way. Hell, I didn't want to blow my karma on him before the boys even got started.

As soon as HWAP got cranking I could immediately sense that this show was going to be special. My wife and I looked at each other and smiled. We knew this would be an epic night and it was. This was my 5th Tool show and I have to be honest and say that I wasn't expecting what we got. The last time Tool was in Charlotte in 2009 I thought Maynard seemed like he couldn't care less if he was there or not. The sound was muffled and the whole mood of the show was a drag. This past Saturday night Tool rocked the fucking roof off that old joint! They were amazing...incredible...fantastic...they blew our minds. It was the best concert I will ever see in my life. I know it...I sense it...it was that good. Perfect sound, perfect energy, perfect crowd...perfect.

I was still high off the show this morning at the gym. Hell they couldn't get me to shut up about it...and I dindn't want to. I wanted to spread the gospel Tool and I did spread it, to all that would listen. Fuck almighty they rocked that old coliseum. What an experience, what a special, special memory. I wanted to take my three year old with us, but my wife wouldn't let me. He is named after Maynard(Samuel James), but my wife said it would be too loud for him. She was right, it was fucking loud, but it was fucking incrediible and I will never forget how hard they rocked that night.

Thank you Maynard, Adam, Justin and Danny for bringing the noise, bringing the energy and bringing the roof down. You guys fucking rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blackanus
02-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Did anyone recognize any of the bands/songs that were playing over the PA after Yob but before Tool went on? I thought one sounded like Rammstein, but I can't seem to find the song. Another sounded like Dream Theater, but no such luck finding that one either.

Any help is appreciated!!!

In other news, my seats sucked ass for this show, but the highlight for me was when the Bojangles guy (old man, >60) saw Danny play his solo in 46&2 and said 'I can see why y'all like this. These guys are good!' Fuck yes. It's impossible for anyone to deny liking Tool once they give them a chance!!!

Last edited by blackanus; 02-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: grammar, clarification
Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #30
On Probation

Did anyone recognize any of the bands/songs that were playing over the PA after Yob but before Tool went on? I thought one sounded like Rammstein, but I can't seem to find the song. Another sounded like Dream Theater, but no such luck finding that one either.

In other news, my seats sucked ass for this show, but the highlight for me was when the Bojangles guy (old man, >60) saw Danny play his solo in 46&2 and said 'I can see why y'all like this. These guys are good!' Fuck yes. It's impossible for anyone to deny liking Tool once they give them a chance!!!

Last edited by blackanus; 02-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: grammar, clarification
Icehound
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM

There was to be NO pictures or video recording in Section 106. Security, while professional, was extremely militant about no cell phone pics or recording. I don't know if they kicked anyone out, but they sure were threatening it. So, I took my photos during Aenima. ; )
Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

There was to be NO pictures or video recording in Section 106. Security, while professional, was extremely militant about no cell phone pics or recording. I don't know if they kicked anyone out, but they sure were threatening it. So, I took my photos during Aenima. ; )
NCToolfan's Avatar NCToolfan
02-06-2012, 06:18 PM

Looking through youtube videos i've found many that said they were told to quit filming. A lot of the videos on there now are cut short. I was in 115 and nobody was told to put away phones. I was able to get at least one good pic (I only took 3 I think haha). I know in a different section somebody on my friends row got thrown out for texting during Aenima.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 25

Looking through youtube videos i've found many that said they were told to quit filming. A lot of the videos on there now are cut short. I was in 115 and nobody was told to put away phones. I was able to get at least one good pic (I only took 3 I think haha). I know in a different section somebody on my friends row got thrown out for texting during Aenima.
02-06-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCToolfan View Post

Just wondering around what time Tool got on stage?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCToolfan View Post

Just wondering around what time Tool got on stage?
Icehound
02-06-2012, 06:51 PM

9:14 pm
Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

9:14 pm
sleepyh
02-06-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackanus View Post

first song after Yob was King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

blackanus
02-06-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyh View Post
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #36
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyh View Post
Thanks!
Anon-Imus's Avatar Anon-Imus
02-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:

They definitely played Spiel Mit Mir by Rammstein after YOB (I took German just to translate that song, kind of creepy, translates to Play with me and he talks about playing with his brother while the adults are away... I recognized only that one. Maybe a Puscifer sounding song, but I stopped paying attention. Hope that helps!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

They definitely played Spiel Mit Mir by Rammstein after YOB (I took German just to translate that song, kind of creepy, translates to Play with me and he talks about playing with his brother while the adults are away... I recognized only that one. Maybe a Puscifer sounding song, but I stopped paying attention. Hope that helps!
02-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehound View Post
I was wearing my Tool Army shirt and brown pants.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I was wearing my Tool Army shirt and brown pants.
Icehound
02-07-2012, 08:40 AM

Ok. Were you leaning over the wooden barrier for much of the show?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #39
Level 2 - Poster

02-07-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Hmm... No, I was in the front row on the floor, leaning over the fence thing most of the time.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #40
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Hmm... No, I was in the front row on the floor, leaning over the fence thing most of the time.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply